Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

draft

Bbswatching

Hey, our first round pick is trent richardson...yipee (note the sarcasm) . We got to see him plug the rearend (head first) of satele/mcgylnn for 13 games! We can only hope...better days are ahead. But the colt's are famous for finding late talent, so all is not lost my friend. CHIN- UP BUCKAROO!

Hey, our first round pick is trent richardson...yipee (note the sarcasm) . We got to see him plug the rearend (head first) of satele/mcgylnn for 13 games! We can only hope...better days are ahead. But the colt's are famous for finding late talent, so all is not lost my friend. CHIN- UP BUCKAROO!

"Famous for finding late round talent"

:lol: :lol:

Like who?

It`s different, but i have full faith we are going to get a Really good player at 2 and a future solid starter at 3.
 So i am excited to see who they are.

What makes it so much better is that we have dropped so much Dead Weight from last years roster. We added Quality Vets and have Good Prospects to fill those positions, so this Draft is just adding to a Much Better overall Roster. I`m very excited about THAT!

The W-L Record the last 2 years is a nice story, but it happened with a roster that had a LOT of Stank to it.
 IMO, that is Totally behind us.

The Monster is about 80% there. It needs honing, Experience, and a probably, just a few more Horses.

I believe we have the Leadership & Championshio Attitude,  We are Close, Very Close!!

Boomstick, bethea, ambrose, buchannon, daniel, mathis, meadows...

Boomstick doesn't count cause unless you're the Jags no one takes a punter/kicker in the early rounds or even at all in the draft

Bethea is wish washy

And I'm only 19 so I assume the others listed were on the Colts of the old or they're just not ringing a bell for me

So really Robert Mathis is the only legit name there

Boomstick doesn't count cause unless you're the Jags no one takes a punter/kicker in the early rounds or even at all in the draft

Bethea is wish washy

And I'm only 19 so I assume the others listed were on the Colts of the old or they're just not ringing a bell for me

You must be young then. All were solid colt's.

Like who?

Dude.. Just because we haven't drafted a pro bowler in the 7th for the last few drafts it doesn't mean we don't have a history of great players late in the draft.

"What have you done for me lately" I guess.

Dude.. Just because we haven't drafted a pro bowler in the 7th for the last few drafts it doesn't mean we don't have a history of great players late in the draft.

"What have you done for me lately" I guess.

I agree, but i think this year we really hit on some late round gems! FINGERS CROSSED. With a deep draft...ya' never know. I would be happy with players that contribute high quality effort and grit in the later rounds (5th-7th) . Not all have to be probowl talent to make a huge impact for our franchise. These type of guys are a difference from a superbowl win/loss. If only we had one of those dudes fielding that onside kick agains't bogie's Saints. WHAT...IF.

Bethea is wish washy

Bethea is "wish washy"????  Seriously?  Probably one of the greatest late round picks ever for the Colts.

Bethea is "wish washy"???? Seriously? Probably one of the greatest late round picks ever for the Colts.

Yeah no question but I just feel Bethea was better in the 4-3 than the 3-4. His best plays came in the 4-3 defense. So the past 2 years in the 3-4 is why i said the wishy washy

But definitely a good pick & I wish him luck in San Francisco

Hey, our first round pick is trent richardson...yipee (note the sarcasm) . We got to see him plug the rearend (head first) of satele/mcgylnn for 13 games! We can only hope...better days are ahead. But the colt's are famous for finding late talent, so all is not lost my friend. CHIN- UP BUCKAROO!

Look at it this way - if we would have somehow taken Trent in 2012 at that pick most of us would have been estatic.  He was universally thought of as a 'can't miss' prospect.

So, if you keep that in mind, you really can't expect the pick we would have taken in the first round to be any better, right?  Get my meaning?  The draft is really a crap shot, especially the later you get in the first round.

Yeah no question but I just feel Bethea was better in the 4-3 than the 3-4. His best plays came in the 4-3 defense. So the past 2 years in the 3-4 is why i said the wishy washy

But definitely a good pick & I wish him luck in San Francisco

The S position is basically the same in the 3-4 as the 4-3, but we used him differently as he got older.  I wish him luck in SF too, but I don't expect him to be more than a fill in type of guy.

Look at it this way - if we would have somehow taken Trent in 2012 at that pick most of us would have been estatic. He was universally thought of as a 'can't miss' prospect.

So, if you keep that in mind, you really can't expect the pick we would have taken in the first round to be any better, right? Get my meaning? The draft is really a crap shot, especially the later you get in the first round.

That's what I did with the Vontae trade. When the dolphins picked, compare the rookie to who we traded for. I don't remember who they drafted with the Vontae pick though haha

Look at it this way - if we would have somehow taken Trent in 2012 at that pick most of us would have been estatic.  He was universally thought of as a 'can't miss' prospect.

So, if you keep that in mind, you really can't expect the pick we would have taken in the first round to be any better, right?  Get my meaning?  The draft is really a crap shot, especially the later you get in the first round.

I still wouldn't have done it, but i'm not a GM...ryan is. I hope he was right.....

We could've traded that pick (26) back and obtained additional picks or kept it and selected jimmie ward.

That's what I did with the Vontae trade. When the dolphins picked, compare the rookie to who we traded for. I don't remember who they drafted with the Vontae pick though haha

They took Jamar Taylor, who hardly played.  But he was a rookie so I don't think they expected too much.  He may start this year, but IMHO he's no Vontea.

I still wouldn't have done it, but i'm not a GM...ryan is. I hope he was right.....

We could've traded that pick (26) back and obtained additional picks or kept it and selected jimmie ward.

Yeah, I don't want to get into the "all things Trent Richardson" debate, but I agree with you.  I would never take a RB in the first round because you never know how they're going to turn out.  And they're a dime a dozen right now, except for AP.

My point was that you really can't count on the first pick being a sure thing, so it's not like we're losing a starter.  I'm hoping we get the best DB available with our first pick.

Yeah, I don't want to get into the "all things Trent Richardson" debate, but I agree with you.  I would never take a RB in the first round because you never know how they're going to turn out.  And they're a dime a dozen right now, except for AP.

My point was that you really can't count on the first pick being a sure thing, so it's not like we're losing a starter.  I'm hoping we get the best DB available with our first pick.

Would love to have jimmie ward, but if not...then JOHNATHAN "THE MACHINE" DOWLING!!! The dude averaged a turnover a game...A GAME! A BALL HAWKING BEAST! I've said it before and i'll say it again. If i had a gun to my head and had to pick a safety...it would be dowling. I'm confident he'll explode in the NFL (if they keep him grounded) . The colt's work wonders with troubled players (rogers), so why not johnathan???

I am more anxious than excited.  I'm concerned that we have so few picks in the top part of the draft.  I think that this is a big draft for Grigson.  The jury is still out on last year's draft so Grigson can't afford a mediocre draft this year.  With so few picks, the margin for error is small.  McShay and Kiper have the Colts going OG in true 2nd round and C in the 3rd round.  What does that say about Thornton and Holmes?                                                                           

It`s different, but i have full faith we are going to get a Really good player at 2 and a future solid starter at 3.

So i am excited to see who they are.

What makes it so much better is that we have dropped so much Dead Weight from last years roster. We added Quality Vets and have Good Prospects to fill those positions, so this Draft is just adding to a Much Better overall Roster. I`m very excited about THAT!

The W-L Record the last 2 years is a nice story, but it happened with a roster that had a LOT of Stank to it.

IMO, that is Totally behind us.

The Monster is about 80% there. It needs honing, Experience, and a probably, just a few more Horses.

I believe we have the Leadership & Championshio Attitude,  We are Close, Very Close!!

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is one of my all-time favorite posts of yours!

When you're winning 22 regular season games playing with a lot of STANK on the roster and now a lot of that STANK is gone,  then we're getting better.     We're getting closer!

You and I might disagree on just how close we are....   but to me that's more quibbling than anything else.   We're a playoff caliber team and we're getting better!    Our trend line is up!   Even if the rest of the NFL,  the media and Las Vegas doesn't know it!    :thmup:

I am more anxious than excited.  I'm concerned that we have so few picks in the top part of the draft.  I think that this is a big draft for Grigson.  The jury is still out on last year's draft so Grigson can't afford a mediocre draft this year.  With so few picks, the margin for error is small.  McShay and Kiper have the Colts going OG in true 2nd round and C in the 3rd round.  What does that say about Thornton and Holmes?                                                                           

As far as I can tell, I'm the biggest supporter/believer of McShay and Kiper here....   seemingly far more than anyone else as best I can tell....

But,  their strength is in evaluating individual players for the draft....   not for mock drafts like this, especially big mocks where they're going past the 1st round.   That's not their strength. 

I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep over who or what or where they mock for us.      Seriously!   :thmup:

As far as I can tell, I'm the biggest supporter/believer of McShay and Kiper here....   seemingly far more than anyone else as best I can tell....

But,  their strength is in evaluating individual players for the draft....   not for mock drafts like this, especially big mocks where they're going past the 1st round.   That's not their strength. 

I wouldn't lose a minute's sleep over who or what or where they mock for us.      Seriously!   :thmup:

I would be thrilled with an elite guard at 59 (jackson...fingers crossed)!

They took Jamar Taylor, who hardly played. But he was a rookie so I don't think they expected too much. He may start this year, but IMHO he's no Vontae.

Ahh, I actually quite liked him as a prospect.

But they don't even compare.

I would be thrilled with an elite guard at 59 (jackson...fingers crossed)!

I would be fine if he take an elite guard like Jackson at 59...

BUT.......

If we do, what that tells me is that Thomas is not healing well from his injuries.    We won't take Jackson if we think Thomas is going to be healthy and starting for us.   We'd wait on a guard and take a more pressing need, I think.

So, if it's a guard, then great!    I'm for it.    But it tells me that there's a problem with Thomas (or maybe Thornton) and that we need immediate help!

Bethea is wish washy

bethea is wishy washy ? Try one the more consistent safety's in the league

I would be fine if he take an elite guard like Jackson at 59...

BUT.......

If we do, what that tells me is that Thomas is not healing well from his injuries.    We won't take Jackson if we think Thomas is going to be healthy and starting for us.   We'd wait on a guard and take a more pressing need, I think.

So, if it's a guard, then great!    I'm for it.    But it tells me that there's a problem with Thomas (or maybe Thornton) and that we need immediate help!

Thomas IMHO was never really viewed as a long term answer for us and coming off an injury, he's very replaceable and one of my BOLD CAMP PREDICTIONS is he gets cut. He's just a journeyman type of player, plus injury prone.

Bethea is wish washy

I am only 19 is the most important part of that post.

Bethea was wishy washy?  

Bethea is wish washy

Remember Chapman Hughes Ballard and Brazil so in 5 years you might have reference point. 

That was definitely the reputation Polian got, maybe even more so for finding undrafted gems like Saturday & Brackett... 

Like who?

If you want to lol or refute Burls' Kids statement you should have maybe pointed out that "drafting late round talent" was Polian's rep. & it is yet to be seen whether Grigson can repeat his draft prowess that he seemed to exhibit in 2012...

An interesting part of the draft for me is to see if it seems dramatically different then the past two because Irsay isn't there. Will we see that Grigson has some different beliefs in the draft or that Irsay didn't play a GIGANTIC factor in the pick selection.