Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dustin's Mock Draft 5.0

Probably my 2nd to last one before the draft.

Round 2 pick 59 - Terrence Brooks, S, FSU

Brooks is probably the best center-fielder in this draft. Getting full use of his abilities may take a little scheme change, Brooks range and athleticism make it worth while. Day 1 starter at either S spot. 

Round 3 pick 90 - Caraun Reid, DE, Princeton

We're currently deep in the 5-tech DE position (Redding, Jones, Hughes), but weak in the 3-tech DE department. Reid is a quick, explosive interior Dlineman who would be a good rotational player in our 3-man front, and possible under-tackle in a 4 man front. 

Round 5 pick 166 - Deandre Coleman, NT, Cal

Coleman is big (6'5" 315 lbs) and athletic (5.06 forty). He has the size and strength to play either NT or 5-tech DE in our fronts. Not going to give you much as a pass rusher, but we need a NT and Coleman is the best player available.

Round 6 pick 203 - Shane Skov, LB, Stanford

2-down thumper. Lack of footspeed (struggles to crack a 5.2 forty) drops him down this low. Gives you something as a pass rusher in addition to his run-stopping ability. Probably a career back-up/rotational guy. 

Round 7 pick 232 - Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St.

Big (6'3" 220 lbs) and fast (4.42 forty, 6.64 3-cone), Janis is a high-upside player from a small-school. A lot of potential reward here. 

I would take francis bah over coleman,dowling over brooks and either taylor hart/ travis reilly over reid or skov. The skov pick would be a complete waste in my opinion. He suffered a complete knee blowout a few years back and never regained his prior self.

We don't have a need for a starter on the Oline and players on the Dline get subbed out a lot. 

Since when is thornton, thomas and holmes...locks to start? We have question marks across the line and virtually no depth, if they get injured (no i don't consider nixion/austin ideal back-ups).

Since when is thornton, thomas and holmes...locks to start? 

Since always. You can feel free to take an Olineman in your mock if you want, but those 3 are starting next season regardless. I'm not reaching for someone at 59 and 90 and I don't think there's anybody in the later rounds who can beat out anybody we already have. 

We have question marks across the line and virtually no depth, if they get injured

We'll have question marks at basically every position if the starter get's injured. You may not consider them ideal backups, but Nixon and Reitz were fine when they were thrust into action last year (albeit Reitz wasn't in for very long). I can't account for injuries, so I don't try to. 

Since always. You can feel free to take an Olineman in your mock if you want, but those 3 are starting next season regardless. I'm not reaching for someone at 59 and 90 and I don't think there's anybody in the later rounds who can beat out anybody we already have. 

We'll have question marks at basically every position if the starter get's injured. You may not consider them ideal backups, but Nixon and Reitz were fine when they were thrust into action last year (albeit Reitz wasn't in for very long). I can't account for injuries, so I don't try to. 

Yes, i get your meaning, but our middle (of our o-line) is quite scary and a huge question mark. I am not comfortable at all with these guys starting. Scary stuff.

Plenty of late round guys could come in and flat out beat holmes/thornton or thomas. I think turner/bodine/dallas lee/gabe ikard and of course jackson would compete and take one of their positions. Holmes is a former (often injured) 4th rounder...not exactly alex mack and thornton struggled mightily when he did play and thomas is also an often injured back-up journeyman G/C.

Without commenting specifically on the mock, I think what all of these mocks point out is this......

That despite being a playoff team two years in a row and favored again this year,  the Colts still have lots and lots of needs.

It points to the need for the Colts to trade back -- even slightly -- with both our 2nd and 3rd round picks so that we can get more 4's and 5's to add more pieces.     We need more players.    Plenty of them.

Trading back with both our 2 and 3 is the key to making this a successful draft.

Without commenting specifically on the mock, I think what all of these mocks point out is this......

That despite being a playoff team two years in a row and favored again this year,  the Colts still have lots and lots of needs.

It points to the need for the Colts to trade back -- even slightly -- with both our 2nd and 3rd round picks so that we can get more 4's and 5's to add more pieces.     We need more players.    Plenty of them.

Trading back with both our 2 and 3 is the key to making this a successful draft.

We can't trade back too many times or too many positions. I'm in favor of giving up either next year's 1st or 2nd (since this draft is so deep) and select two or 3 top tier pieces this year. Can you imagine us landing gabe jackson and jimmie ward and following that with watkins (CB)? Nasty draft!

I like it, Shayne Skov would be a steal in round 6 as a 2 down LB...Though in my personal opinion he wont drop anywhere near the 6th and if he goes as high as I think he will (3rd) I dont want him because I think we can get better later, 2 D Linemen make sense from a #'s standpoint, I'd probably go with Justin Ellis, We could use the competition at back up NT and he can also play the 3 tech in my opinion if an injury happens, I think Reid is strictly a 3 tech and not strong enough to double as a NT

That despite being a playoff team two years in a row and favored again this year, the Colts still have lots and lots of needs.

It points to the need for the Colts to trade back -- even slightly -- with both our 2nd and 3rd round picks so that we can get more 4's and 5's to add more pieces. We need more players. Plenty of them.

How are the extra 4ths and 5ths going to make the roster?

I find it kind of hard to see them extra 4th and 5th and later picks beating out some of the players already on the roster. Hopefully nobody signs them off the waiver wire before we can put them on the practice squad

I would be fine with the 3 tech. DE if its Ricky Jean, Moala, and Pendleton. I would only draft one d lineman with pass rush ability if anything. And I think we're fine at inside linebacker this year unless the ILB class in next years draft is bad.

We can't trade back too many times or too many positions. I'm in favor of giving up either next year's 1st or 2nd (since this draft is so deep) and select two or 3 top tier pieces this year. Can you imagine us landing gabe jackson and jimmie ward and following that with watkins (CB)? Nasty draft!

I'm only talking about trading back 6-10 spots.

Just enough to pick up an added pick.   Nothing big.    Nothing too far.

And I'm completely against trading a future 1 or 2.      That's a fan's view, which I try never to take.

I want a GM's view....   that's the long view.     See the Big Picture.    You're not only building for 2014, but for the following years as well.

Probably my 2nd to last one before the draft.

Round 2 pick 59 - Terrence Brooks, S, FSU

Brooks is probably the best center-fielder in this draft. Getting full use of his abilities may take a little scheme change, Brooks range and athleticism make it worth while. Day 1 starter at either S spot. 

Round 3 pick 90 - Caraun Reid, DE, Princeton

We're currently deep in the 5-tech DE position (Redding, Jones, Hughes), but weak in the 3-tech DE department. Reid is a quick, explosive interior Dlineman who would be a good rotational player in our 3-man front, and possible under-tackle in a 4 man front. 

Round 5 pick 166 - Deandre Coleman, NT, Cal

Coleman is big (6'5" 315 lbs) and athletic (5.06 forty). He has the size and strength to play either NT or 5-tech DE in our fronts. Not going to give you much as a pass rusher, but we need a NT and Coleman is the best player available.

Round 6 pick 203 - Shane Skov, LB, Stanford

2-down thumper. Lack of footspeed (struggles to crack a 5.2 forty) drops him down this low. Gives you something as a pass rusher in addition to his run-stopping ability. Probably a career back-up/rotational guy. 

Round 7 pick 232 - Jeff Janis, WR, Saginaw Valley St.

Big (6'3" 220 lbs) and fast (4.42 forty, 6.64 3-cone), Janis is a high-upside player from a small-school. A lot of potential reward here. 

Shane Skov, 6th round omg he was considerd 2nd 

How are the extra 4ths and 5ths going to make the roster?

I find it kind of hard to see them extra 4th and 5th and later picks beating out some of the players already on the roster. Hopefully nobody signs them off the waiver wire before we can put them on the practice squad

I'd rather have too much talent on my roster than not enough.   That's a nice problem to have!

If we have too many good players,  we can always trade them for future picks.

I see plenty of room for roster improvement....   My hunch is Grigson does too....

Am I the only one around here who prefers Brooks to either of those guys?

I prefer him to Bucannon. Not Ward, but they have different skillsets anyway. If Brooks is Byrd then Ward is Eric Weddle. Couldn't go wrong with either.

I prefer him to Bucannon. Not Ward, but they have different skillsets anyway. If Brooks is Byrd then Ward is Eric Weddle. Couldn't go wrong with either.

I think those are good comparisons, except Brooks can't catch. But for a nickel corner who can support the run, which is what our SS needs to be, I think Brooks fits best.

Am I the only one around here who prefers Brooks to either of those guys?

No, you're not.  Part of it is realism, the other part is, schematic.  Ward would be good here...but so would Brooks.  Who would be better could never be decided on these forums.

Not a fan of Brooks fast yes. He doesn't tackle well or create turnovers he can't catch that is what I want from a S turnovers. You can't leave picks on the field you just can't they are game changers.

Give me best CB at 59 or trade back and add a pick and grab Aikens or Desir around 70 use the extra pick for some O Line get rid of Skov and get Jonathan Dowling and we are talking.

I'm only talking about trading back 6-10 spots.

Just enough to pick up an added pick.   Nothing big.    Nothing too far.

And I'm completely against trading a future 1 or 2.      That's a fan's view, which I try never to take.

I want a GM's view....   that's the long view.     See the Big Picture.    You're not only building for 2014, but for the following years as well.

That makes ZERO SENSE though. How would obtaining additional picks this year by trading picks next year hurt our team's progression? The only difference is were basically getting our next year's draft earlier and getting them acclimated to our system faster and with an additional year of experience. How's that a bad thing? I never understood why fans hold draft picks(early rounds) near and dear to their heart.

However, i was absolutely not in favor of the T-RICH move at all, but in favor of the vantae davis one.

That makes ZERO SENSE though. How would obtaining additional picks this year by trading picks next year hurt our team's progression? The only difference is were basically getting our next year's draft earlier and getting them acclimated to our system faster and with an additional year of experience. How's that a bad thing? I never understood why fans hold draft picks(early rounds) near and dear to their heart.

However, i was absolutely not in favor of the T-RICH move at all, but in favor of the vantae davis one.

Because you're trading a first round pick for a 2nd round quality player.

Or a 2nd round pick for a 3rd round quality player.  

It makes complete sense NOT to do it.     If it made sense EVERYONE would do it.    Do you see everyone trying to do it?    No.

Why not?     What do teams know that you don't?

Because you're trading a first round pick for a 2nd round quality player.

Or a 2nd round pick for a 3rd round quality player.  

It makes complete sense NOT to do it.     If it made sense EVERYONE would do it.    Do you see everyone trying to do it?    No.

Why not?     What do teams know that you don't?

This draft is deep (from grig's own lips). Alot of the second round guys, would have 1st round grades, if they came out next year. SO IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO DO IT THIS YEAR.

This draft is deep (from grig's own lips). Alot of the second round guys, would have 1st round grades, if they came out next year. SO IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO DO IT THIS YEAR.

Few if any of the 2nd round guys will have first round grades.

The depth starts in the 2nd round -- not the first.

The depth is in rounds 2/3/4 and 5....

There isn't depth in the first round.

The last few picks of the 1st round will have 2nd round grades, as what happens in most every draft most every year.

By the way,  I'm capable of reading your posts if you simply type it out normally.    PUTTING AN ENTIRE SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE MY VIEW.  

I've been following the NFL draft closely for roughly 45 years....   I covered it professionally for roughly 30 years.    I know the in's and out's of the draft pretty well.

I'm not saying you have to agree with me....   you don't.

I'm only saying I've got a good understanding of all the aspects of the draft....     so when I disagree with you or anyone else here for that matter, I'm not trying to be difficult or insulting.    I'm only trying to say I've got my reasons.    Again, I'm happy to share those reasons,  and you're free to disagree with them.....

Few if any of the 2nd round guys will have first round grades.

The depth starts in the 2nd round -- not the first.

The depth is in rounds 2/3/4 and 5....

There isn't depth in the first round.

The last few picks of the 1st round will have 2nd round grades, as what happens in most every draft most every year.

By the way,  I'm capable of reading your posts if you simply type it out normally.    PUTTING AN ENTIRE SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE MY VIEW.  

I've been following the NFL draft closely for roughly 45 years....   I covered it professionally for roughly 30 years.    I know the in's and out's of the draft pretty well.

I'm not saying you have to agree with me....   you don't.

I'm only saying I've got a good understanding of all the aspects of the draft....     so when I disagree with you or anyone else here for that matter, I'm not trying to be difficult or insulting.    I'm only trying to say I've got my reasons.    Again, I'm happy to share those reasons,  and you're free to disagree with them.....

Listen, just because you happened to work in the media (may or may not be true...don't really care) doesn't mean you somehow have more insight than other fans...some of which ACTUALLY played the game. You're a coach potato, just like the rest of us. We're all armchair quarterbacks. It's hard dealing with you sometimes, because you have this sense of entitlement and often come across very patrionizing.

Listen, just because you happened to work in the media (may or may not be true...don't really care) doesn't mean you somehow have more insight than other fans...some of which ACTUALLY played the game. You're a coach potato, just like the rest of us. We're all armchair quarterbacks. It's hard dealing with you sometimes, because you have this sense of entitlement and often come across very patrionizing.

Sorry.    Don't mean to be patronizing.    That's never my intention.     You ask for explanations why I have some of the views I have and you don't seem to like them.    That's your right...............

If you don't like my views,  then I recommend you not responding to them.    Or if you do,  be prepared that you're not going to like some of my answers.      Again,  entirely up to you.

I looked at your profile, you appear to be very new.    For what little it's worth,  I'm no longer in the media.   But I was for 30 years.  I didn't play the game but I think I know it well for someone who didn't play.   You may disagree.    I'm also a 40-year fan of Stanford.    It's my adopted school.   So, I know the players there better than most.   I've kept people here clued in on Stanford players.    And I've always put my support for the colts ahead of my support for Stanford.    If a Stanford player is not a good fit for Indy,  I always say so.     Last year,  I steered Colts fans away from Stephan Taylor and Chase Thomas.   I think I've been proven right on that.   And this year, I've downgraded other Stanford player on my rankings.   I'm the one who posted that Shayne Skov had a terrible private workout and his stock will likely fall as a result.   That's why you now see Colts fans with Skov being mocked in the 5th and 6th round.   

So, I think I've been fair and even handed.

Sorry I rub you the wrong way.    You're not the first to say so.   I'll try and do better in the future.....

By the way, I wanted to share this with you.....

I think the odds are better than 50/50 that you're right and I'm wrong on trading a future pick for a pick this year.

I don't think Grigson will do a 1 for a 2.    Or a 2 for a 3.

But he might do a 3 for a 4, or a 4 for a 5, or a 5 for a 6.

This is Grigson's 3rd draft and he's been willing to trade a future pick in his first two drafts.    He traded a future pick in the deal for TYHilton.    That worked out really well.   Then last year, he traded a future pick to acquire Montori Hughes.   Too early to know how that one will work out.     But the point is Grigson clearly is willing to do it, and will likely do it again this year because of the depth of the draft.

I don't know that I would do it if I were the GM,  but Grigson is much more bold and aggressive than I would be.

But I won't be surprised if Grigson decides to do that again this year.   And I wanted to be sure to include that in our discussion of the issue.

Hope that clarifies things................

I like Brooks at 59, had him in one of my drafts as well. I don't think we should go d-line in the 3rd or 5th because were deep at that position more so then CB, O-line, OLB, and WR. Some of our d-lineman are interchangeable, Hughes will improve and be a part of the rotation and Jones can play anywhere on the d-line.

In the 3rd here are some of the players on my board that i would draft that could be there: Pierre Desir CB, Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB, Baushaud Breeland CB, Dakota Dozier G, Donte Moncrief WR, Cyril Richardson G, Phillip Gaines CB, Jared Abbrederis WR, and Chris Smith OLB. I think all would provide great value in the 3rd round.

I think those are good comparisons, except Brooks can't catch. But for a nickel corner who can support the run, which is what our SS needs to be, I think Brooks fits best.

I think you are on to something here.  I haven't watched the volume of plays that you and many others probably have, just highlights, but Brooks looks the most like what Grigson was describing the other day.  In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if Brooks may be the 2nd or 3rd best safety in the draft, not the 5th or 6th, and might be valued accordingly on Thurs.  

He seems to offer the best combination of all the roles we want him to play.  It also seems that he is a highly respected, team first kind of guy who will work like a pro.  If we could get the character of Bethea with better man coverage skills, it would be a home run.

I think you are on to something here.  I haven't watched the volume of plays that you and many others probably have, just highlights, but Brooks looks the most like what Grigson was describing the other day.  In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if Brooks may be the 2nd or 3rd best safety in the draft, not the 5th or 6th, and might be valued accordingly on Thurs.  

He seems to offer the best combination of all the roles we want him to play.  It also seems that he is a highly respected, team first kind of guy who will work like a pro.  If we could get the character of Bethea with better man coverage skills, it would be a home run.

Brooks also has the range to play single high. Grigson said they want their safeties to be somewhat interchangeable, and Brooks' range helps there also. Landry isn't good in man coverage (not as bad as people make him out to be, but he's still a liability when asked to man-up on a really good tight end or a slot receiver), but he supports the run well, so you can move him down into the box in a more traditional SS role from time to time.

With a guy like Buchanon, we wouldn't have anyone with the man coverage skills needed, IMO. He can get better, but it's not his strength as of right now. And I personally think Brooks is better in man than Ward, though Ward has better hands and probably more range.

Between the three, my order would be Brooks, Ward, .... and Buchanon a distant third. Before I'd draft Buchanon, I'd trade down and take Dontae Johnson in the 3rd or 4th. Buchanon just doesn't seem like the right guy to me. But the Colts' staff seems to disagree, given they've paid a lot of attention to Buchanon with visits and workouts.

Brooks also has the range to play single high. Grigson said they want their safeties to be somewhat interchangeable, and Brooks' range helps there also. Landry isn't good in man coverage (not as bad as people make him out to be, but he's still a liability when asked to man-up on a really good tight end or a slot receiver), but he supports the run well, so you can move him down into the box in a more traditional SS role from time to time.

With a guy like Buchanon, we wouldn't have anyone with the man coverage skills needed, IMO. He can get better, but it's not his strength as of right now. And I personally think Brooks is better in man than Ward, though Ward has better hands and probably more range.

Between the three, my order would be Brooks, Ward, .... and Buchanon a distant third. Before I'd draft Buchanon, I'd trade down and take Dontae Johnson in the 3rd or 4th. Buchanon just doesn't seem like the right guy to me. But the Colts' staff seems to disagree, given they've paid a lot of attention to Buchanon with visits and workouts.

The pre-draft meeting with Bucannon certainly raises the question that he may be their preference, or it may simply mean that they had questions to resolve before they could finalize their board. In this case, I hope they simply didn't have questions about Brooks and didn't want to tip their hand.

I'd like a safety that can cover better if we are going that direction in the second, and I don't know how the Monster can fully mature without a more disruptive playmaker on the back end than we have had, but I don't doubt that the staff knows the attributes they are looking for.