Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Wizard of Oz !

The Old Crow

Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome is slowly rebuilding the Ravens into a powerhouse again. This week , the Ravens added safety Darien Stewart from the Rams, and traded for Tampa Bay center Jeremy Zuttah, who will eventually sign a longer term deal to lower the cap. They also added Steve Smith , and resigned Eugene Monroe at tackle, Jacoby Jones, Middle linebacker Darryl Smith, among others. On top of that, they will receive additional compensatory draft picks for Paul Kruger, Darnell Ellerbe, Cary Williams, and Ed Reed. That will be four additional draft picks they have, and two will replace the 4th and 5th round pick they gave up for Monroe, who is signed long term at left tackle. The only need not addressed yet is right tackle to replace Oher, who stunk it up last year. Ozzie will then look at other teams cuts, and probably pick up a few more gems off the scrap heap , that won't cost the Ravens compensatory picks.

Now armed with a bunch of draft picks, he can settle back and take the best player available in the draft. Expect a move for a right tackle soon. One year after blowing up a Super Bowl winning team, and going 8-8 last year, expect the Ravens to be back.

I like what the Ravens have done this off-season but the season will go as Flacco goes. I still don't think that D is anywhere near it was during the SB run and he had a horrific year last year. How do you think his confidence is? I know he was peeved about that running QB coming in and taking snaps from him.

Do you think you take the division from Cincy? Not sure I see that yet but a WC seems likely.

I like what the Ravens have done this off-season but the season will go as Flacco goes. I still don't think that D is anywhere near it was during the SB run and he had a horrific year last year. How do you think his confidence is? I know he was peeved about that running QB coming in and taking snaps from him.

Do you think you take the division from Cincy? Not sure I see that yet but a WC seems likely.

I agree, Flacco has to pick it up with a rebuilt offensive line, and an upgraded array of receiving options. If we draft well, and pick up a few gems on the market, I think we can move past Cincy. That being said, the Steelers will still be decent, and the Browns improved. Should be a tough division.

Baltimore GM Ozzie Newsome is slowly rebuilding the Ravens into a powerhouse again. This week , the Ravens added safety Darien Stewart from the Rams, and traded for Tampa Bay center Jeremy Zuttah, who will eventually sign a longer term deal to lower the cap. They also added Steve Smith , and resigned Eugene Monroe at tackle, Jacoby Jones, Middle linebacker Darryl Smith, among others. On top of that, they will receive additional compensatory draft picks for Paul Kruger, Darnell Ellerbe, Cary Williams, and Ed Reed. That will be four additional draft picks they have, and two will replace the 4th and 5th round pick they gave up for Monroe, who is signed long term at left tackle. The only need not addressed yet is right tackle to replace Oher, who stunk it up last year. Ozzie will then look at other teams cuts, and probably pick up a few more gems off the scrap heap , that won't cost the Ravens compensatory picks.

Now armed with a bunch of draft picks, he can settle back and take the best player available in the draft. Expect a move for a right tackle soon. One year after blowing up a Super Bowl winning team, and going 8-8 last year, expect the Ravens to be back.

Two words... Joe Flacco

just wondering about comp picks what players did they bring in i know dummervil but it can cancel out picks just cant remember which ones they brought in. should be high pick for kruger sure he got decent contract

Maybe I will come into Indy for the Colts-Ravens game. It should be another good game.

I really do like the Ravens as much as any other team...I still follow Da Bears...from the old days when all we could see in Indy were the Bears and Bengals...I guess I follow the Bengals but do not like them too much :)

The Ravens will be in the mix this year. Personally I have them beating out Cincy for the AFC North and they're not a team anyone really wants to face in the playoffs. 

Newsome is a terrific GM. You guys are fortunate to have him.

And I never count out a Harbaugh-coached team. 

just wondering about comp picks what players did they bring in i know dummervil but it can cancel out picks just cant remember which ones they brought in. should be high pick for kruger sure he got decent contract

No comp picks against Baltimore, Dumervil was a cut. Ozzie tries to get guys that don't require compensatory picks.

The Ravens will be in the mix this year. Personally I have them beating out Cincy for the AFC North and they're not a team anyone really wants to face in the playoffs. 

As are you guys with Bellichick .

I really do like the Ravens as much as any other team...I still follow Da Bears...from the old days when all we could see in Indy were the Bears and Bengals...I guess I follow the Bengals but do not like them too much :)

Obviously, I still have a liking for the old horseshoes. How can you not ?

Baltimore is a team with good leadership at GM and Coach...they will always be a solid team. I'm not sure on the ownership part but all in all if he stays out of the way and hires good people like they have now they will be great. That is a hard division...the NEW Black and Blue division in my eyes...all play good defense and all have adequate offenses built for post-season success. I thought Cincy's run at the top would last longer and Cleveland would show their face too but that may not happen...the NFL shows you if you have great people in place...usually the cream rises to the top.

No coincedence the have nots are the same at the bottom of the barrell almost year after year....even teams like Carolina and Jacksonville who have had success don't know how to keep it...and fall off quickly.

Baltimore is a team with good leadership at GM and Coach...they will always be a solid team. I'm not sure on the ownership part but all in all if he stays out of the way and hires good people like they have now they will be great. That is a hard division...the NEW Black and Blue division in my eyes...all play good defense and all have adequate offenses built for post-season success. I thought Cincy's run at the top would last longer and Cleveland would show their face too but that may not happen...the NFL shows you if you have great people in place...usually the cream rises to the top.

No coincedence the have nots are the same at the bottom of the barrell almost year after year....even teams like Carolina and Jacksonville who have had success don't know how to keep it...and fall off quickly.

Steve Bisciotti is a very good owner. Besides the 2012 Super Bowl, he was integral in the 2000 Super Bowl as a minority owner, who provided Modell the needed cash to win it all. He lets his professional people do their job, and only gets involved when things are way off base, like the end of the Billick era. Seems to hire good people like Irsay has.

Steve Bisciotti is a very good owner. Besides the 2012 Super Bowl, he was integral in the 2000 Super Bowl as a minority owner, who provided Modell the needed cash to win it all. He lets his professional people do their job, and only gets involved when things are way off base, like the end of the Billick era. Seems to hire good people like Irsay has.

Having Ozzie has to make being the owner much easier

Yesterday, the Ravens received four compensatory picks for free agent losses next year. They will get a third round pick, two fours , and one five. That will give them overall , a first round draft pick, one second, two thirds, two fourths, one fifth, one sixth, and one seventh pick in a deep draft. They could still use a right tackle and free safety, but the need list is getting smaller.

Three words... Won Super Bowl

I'm not quoting you to pick a fight or to go too far OT, but I think someone could argue that the reason they got into the superbowl in the first place was due almost solely to Flacco's ability to heave the ball downfield to Antwan Bolquin in the second half of our game and to Jacoby Jones in the AFC Championship game.  Michael Vick could've done that.

Ozzie is a really good GM; I've always thought that. He's sort of reset his cap situation, after it seemed to kind of get away from him last year (not really, they still had room to make plenty of critical moves). Signing Steve Smith ought to make things easier on Flacco, as does getting Pitta back. Keeping Monroe and Smith is good for the trench play on both sides of the ball. I'm still not a fan of the Flacco contract, but their payroll figure in 2016 is $92m as of right now, in a year where the cap is expected to be as high as $150m. They can plan for the Flacco deal, and they are already. 

Still some question marks on that roster, but they have a nice collection of picks, and still have some cap space for some lower level deals, should they see an opportunity they like for a signing or even a trade (Desean Jackson??) Still a long way to go before the season starts, but their my favorite to win that division right now, whatever that's worth.

Ozzie is a really good GM; I've always thought that. He's sort of reset his cap situation, after it seemed to kind of get away from him last year (not really, they still had room to make plenty of critical moves). Signing Steve Smith ought to make things easier on Flacco, as does getting Pitta back. Keeping Monroe and Smith is good for the trench play on both sides of the ball. I'm still not a fan of the Flacco contract, but their payroll figure in 2016 is $92m as of right now, in a year where the cap is expected to be as high as $150m. They can plan for the Flacco deal, and they are already. 

Still some question marks on that roster, but they have a nice collection of picks, and still have some cap space for some lower level deals, should they see an opportunity they like for a signing or even a trade (Desean Jackson??) Still a long way to go before the season starts, but their my favorite to win that division right now, whatever that's worth.

I'm a BIG +1 on being a fan of Ozzie Newsome.

Great judge of talent and building a roster.  

I know he took hits for the Flacco deal,  but I chalk that up to the cost of doing business in the NFL these days.   Kinda like the Colts and the Vonte Davis contract.   Not wild about it,  but when you don't have better options you have to do what you have to do and figure the rest out.

I wouldn't bet against Ozzie rebuilding the Ravens and keeping them in the playoff hunt most every year. 

I think he's among the top GM's in the NFL.

I'm a BIG +1 on being a fan of Ozzie Newsome.

Great judge of talent and building a roster.  

I know he took hits for the Flacco deal,  but I chalk that up to the cost of doing business in the NFL these days.   Kinda like the Colts and the Vonte Davis contract.   Not wild about it,  but when you don't have better options you have to do what you have to do and figure the rest out.

I wouldn't bet against Ozzie rebuilding the Ravens and keeping them in the playoff hunt most every year. 

I think he's among the top GM's in the NFL.

I think he misplayed the Flacco situation, and because he wanted the cap space, he backed himself into a corner a little bit. I'd have left Flacco on the tag in 2013 before I paid him $20m/year. The contract they wound up doing dropped Flacco's cap hit from $14m to $6m in 2013, which allowed them to make some significant moves. But the trade-off is that they have a heavily backloaded contract, and they gambled that the cap would go up, allowing them to absorb the hefty cap hits on the back end of the deal. It's probably going to work out, but I think they basically held themselves ransom.

I admit that it's easy for me to sit here in front of my keyboard and talk about what I would have done, but I honestly think that the Ravens folded their hand a little too quickly with Flacco. If they were negotiating that contract this year, after the season Flacco just had, I don't think he'd be looking at $20m/year.

I think he misplayed the Flacco situation, and because he wanted the cap space, he backed himself into a corner a little bit. I'd have left Flacco on the tag in 2013 before I paid him $20m/year. The contract they wound up doing dropped Flacco's cap hit from $14m to $6m in 2013, which allowed them to make some significant moves. But the trade-off is that they have a heavily backloaded contract, and they gambled that the cap would go up, allowing them to absorb the hefty cap hits on the back end of the deal. It's probably going to work out, but I think they basically held themselves ransom.

I admit that it's easy for me to sit here in front of my keyboard and talk about what I would have done, but I honestly think that the Ravens folded their hand a little too quickly with Flacco. If they were negotiating that contract this year, after the season Flacco just had, I don't think he'd be looking at $20m/year.

I think the bigger issue is they got a 4 game window from Flacco where he played flawlessly. He is not a QB, no matter his salary to be able to carry the team to another championship. He has proven that over and over again.

The thing with Joe was Ozzie wanted to pay him around 16-17 million, which was probably fair market value for him. Joe, and his agent , gambled on the 2012 season, and it was a bold move winning a Super Bowl, and SB MVP. They put an end to the early talks with Ozzie. As we know, the Ravens won the Super Bowl, and suddenly Lenta and Flacco had all the leverage because Ozzie had to get the Flacco deal done, to put together last years team. The deal is extremely backloaded, but Ozzie anticipated the cap number going up, and I really believe they will strike an extension with Flacco that will be more cap friendly aka Suggs or Lewis. They are gambling Flacco will come back with a better offensive line, running game , and much better receivers this year. We shall see.

I think I said Joe is no Manning or Brady, but he is a solid NFL quarterback who is a winner. Was he worth that big contract based on his QB skills, probably not, but all teams pay big bucks for a SB win , and he has one already . If he got the Ravens one SB, he could definately lead them to another one, but he needs the right cast around him. Last year's cast was very mediocre, as was Flacco. The entire team has to improve. Ozzie has put together a good plan , but we will have to see if the pieces fit like they did in 2012.

The thing with Joe was Ozzie wanted to pay him around 16-17 million, which was probably fair market value for him. Joe, and his agent , gambled on the 2012 season, and it was a bold move winning a Super Bowl, and SB MVP. They put an end to the early talks with Ozzie. As we know, the Ravens won the Super Bowl, and suddenly Lenta and Flacco had all the leverage because Ozzie had to get the Flacco deal done, to put together last years team. The deal is extremely backloaded, but Ozzie anticipated the cap number going up, and I really believe they will strike an extension with Flacco that will be more cap friendly aka Suggs or Lewis. They are gambling Flacco will come back with a better offensive line, running game , and much better receivers this year. We shall see.

I think I said Joe is no Manning or Brady, but he is a solid NFL quarterback who is a winner. Was he worth that big contract based on his QB skills, probably not, but all teams pay big bucks for a SB win , and he has one already . If he got the Ravens one SB, he could definately lead them to another one, but he needs the right cast around him. Last year's cast was very mediocre, as was Flacco. The entire team has to improve. Ozzie has put together a good plan , but we will have to see if the pieces fit like they did in 2012.

I am not sure I see that big if an improvement with the moves the Ravens have made this year. And their division may end up being the most competitive in the AFC. For sure they need much more from Joe to stay in the mix.

I agree that they will make Joe's contract work long term. He wants to be there so I am sure he will work with them.

I am not sure I see that big if an improvement with the moves the Ravens have made this year. And their division may end up being the most competitive in the AFC. For sure they need much more from Joe to stay in the mix.

I agree that they will make Joe's contract work long term. He wants to be there so I am sure he will work with them.

I don't totally disagree with that, as they have signed back many current players, and added three significant guys. Much will still depend on the upcoming draft, and some of the guys Ozzie can grab off other team's cuts. I would give it a grade of incomplete.

I don't totally disagree with that, as they have signed back many current players, and added three significant guys. Much will still depend on the upcoming draft, and some of the guys Ozzie can grab off other team's cuts. I would give it a grade of incomplete.

Yeah, it is early still for every team. I kind of want to see the Ravens regain the division. I like the rivalry with the Pats.

That indeed was a mistake IMO, and something we can go by in heading toward Luck's big pay day!!!

Do you feel good about Jeremy Zuttah at center? Is Gradkowski going to compete for a guard spot? 

Yeah, it is early still for every team. I kind of want to see the Ravens regain the division. I like the rivalry with the Pats.

I hope so also. It has been a good rivalry.