Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

For anyone wanting a Safety in FA remember this:

coltsfanmilyman

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/47462/grigson-prefers-rookie-cbs-to-rookie-ols

Yes, its from last year, but I still believe it has merit this year.  I believe we will be drafting a safety and look for possibly one more signing (Mack  :goodluck:  :beg: )

I asked Grigson: Without knowing the guy, if you were forced to choose to play a first-year offensive lineman or a first-year defensive back, which would you rather put on the field? 

Said Grigson: 

“I would have to say a DB. Because a first-year offensive lineman, there are a lot more bullets flying in that vicinity he’s working in that involves thinking, that involved experience. That’s why for rookie tackles, they call it a baptism by fire. You don’t say that because it’s an easy process. A lot of times that ends up working in their favor, that they were thrown out there like that. 

"But a lot of times depending on the scheme you play, corners that play on an island they are relying on technique and pure athletic ability and God-given ability. A lot of times on the offensive line, their first year they are going to see exotic blitzes that they’ve never even dreamed of. They are going to see pass-rushers and body types that they never knew existed. I would say definitely corner.” 

The offensive line and cornerback clearly rate as two of the biggest needs for Grigson and the Colts. And he’s got more than $40 million in salary cap space to fiddle with in free agency. 

ahh, still he would want around 5 million per year wouldn't he? Not sure I want to pay that for a little bit better production than Howell

"Little better production than Howell"?

Are you kidding?!?!

"Little better production than Howell"?

Are you kidding?!?!

Nope i dont view Clemens as anything more than an average NFL safety, and I am a big fan of Howell, and I think as a young guy he can be an average NFL safety as well

Note- I am not saying Delano Howell is just as good as Chris Clemens..

Nope i dont view Clemens as anything more than an average NFL safety, and I am a big fan of Howell, and I think as a young guy he can be an average NFL safety as well

But you're saying a guy that has 4 games played in the NFL has "a little less" production than a 4 year starter with nearly 100 tackle seasons (amongst many other things). You want to talk about on-the-paper production, it's not even in the same ballpark. 

I brought this up in another thread. What about drafting Keith McGill and convert him to FS. I think he'll end up playing safety in the NFL anyway.

If you want to look at CBs to be converted to safety I prefer Jaylen Watkins of Florida or Lamarcus Joyner of Florida State.  I don't know much about either other than what I've read and have watched on their highlights but both are impressive.  Both can play either CB or safety and Joyner is just a football player.  I don't know or care what is numbers were at the combine that kid is going to have a great NFL career.

For Watkins, his technique as a CB is poor but when he's playing zone or supporting the run he shows good instincts, breaks down nicely for the tackle and has excellent speed and hustle.

But you're saying a guy that has 4 games played in the NFL has "a little less" production than a 4 year starter with nearly 100 tackle seasons (amongst many other things). You want to talk about on-the-paper production, it's not even in the same ballpark. 

Im not talking on paper production, i'm going off my opinion, i've seen them both play, and I don't think Clemens is that much of an upgrade over Howell, plus he will cost a lot more, keep in mind, I agree he is an upgrade, just not a huge one

Clemons: 72 games

Howell: 212 snaps.

You're basing your opinion on a very small sample, and a sample that, in my opinion was not very good. PFF rated him as a -2 for those 4 games he was in. 

I don't think Clemons' price would be too large. I think it's come down a bit. He's not garnering too much interest, and the Colts could snag him for somewhere between 3.5M-5M. 

I would not be happy if they go into training camp with Howell slated as the starter. 

He may be able to play corner but definitively is he that either ??? Looking at his fluidity Its subjective and besides that, Baptiste at S is what I SUGGESTED

Baptiste just moved to CB

So you want him to go from WR, to CB, to Safety. And learn safety in the NFL while learning how to play in the NFL?

You're asking for a touchdown on his side every time is what you're suggesting

Howell cannot tackle a dummy bag

Chris Clemons is good depth, and solid as far as not getting injured. If we could get him on the cheap, and draft another Safety, then I'm in. 

No team (not even the Patriot's according to some talking heads) can have 53 #1 draft picks for their team. It is not any player's (say, Chris Clemons) individual talent, it's how he fulfills a role in the team. This is why some players fail in one team, and become pro-bowlers on another.

What do people expect from players in free agency? I see yeomen players who may have understood their particular roles,