Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Opinions on Delano Howell

BlueCollarColts

So more and more it seems like Howell will be competing for the safety job with a rookie or may just be given the spot. (I know it's early) So basically how would you feel about him starting g

If he plays more consistent then I don't care but if he has that one good game then disappears again then no don't like it.

So more and more it seems like Howell will be competing for the safety job with a rookie or may just be given the spot. (I know it's early) So basically how would you feel about him starting g

Starting g?? Not sure he would be the best guard  lmao just kidding! yeah I'm all for giving him a shot if thats what the coaches want to do, I think in that situation though it would be nice to draft a safety in the 2nd or 3rd just so we have a 2nd option :) 

Starting g?? Not sure he would be the best guard lmao just kidding! yeah I'm all for giving him a shot if thats what the coaches want to do, I think in that situation though it would be nice to draft a safety in the 2nd or 3rd just so we have a 2nd option :)

Hey! Maybe he'd be a decent backup at guard! ;)

Figuring that Bethea would leave was a big reason Sergio Brown signed a new contract with the Colts... he is going to try to win that starting safety spot as well.

And I have no problem with this......... In case Grigson cares.  Draft a Safety and let the three of them battle it out.

When Howell was starting he played better then both Landry and Bethea did all year against the run and in coverage. He's not as good in tackling as Bethea(not many safeties are) but he's still above average and uses good technique. I think he could be our future starting FS, he just needs more reps in training camp and he'll get it now that Bethea is gone. 

At some point we have to develope someone...we have to trust someone to step up. We can't have stars at every position or likely even proven commodities at every position. We just have to plug in a guy that has potential and take a flyer. If he doesn't pan out we look at a move next year. Howell and Brown showed flashes but we don't know how they project over 16 games. All you can hope is they don't make a mile high miracle blunder come a crucial game.

It's looking like we may draft a S or CB in the draft 2nd or 3rd rd.

When you look at the secondary the way it stands right now, I hope we get 1.Fuller,2. McGill,3. Roby, or 4.Jean-Baptiste. All would be an upgrade over Toler.

Surprisingly, I feel more comfortable with Howell at S than Toler at CB.

It's looking like we may draft a S or CB in the draft 2nd or 3rd rd.

When you look at the secondary the way it stands right now, I hope we get 1.Fuller,2. McGill,3. Roby, or 4.Jean-Baptiste. All would be an upgrade over Toler.

Surprisingly, I feel more comfortable with Howell at S than Toler at CB.

how are they all an upgrade? They have never played in the NFL before

Seems like the front office has confidence in him.. we have shown no interest in any free agent safeties as of yet

We haven't shown any interest in a safety ---- that we know of.

I think the odds that we haven't shown any interest in any safety would be right around zero.

It's just not known.....    yet.

As for Howell.....   and I say this as a Stanford fan who loves Delano....

I see him as a quality back-up.    Not sure he's staring material in the NFL.

how are they all an upgrade? They have never played in the NFL before

No disrespect, but they are an upgrade because Toler has played in the league before!

This draft is loaded with talent and the cb position looks very solid with some physical cover corners who would fit our system very well.

Toler is a solid backup in the league if he can stay healthy.

I dislike how almost everyone in this thread will state their opinion about a player without a logical argument to support it.

I'd have hoped this thread had more strategic and physiological insight rather than a bunch of trivialities.

You talking to me? Are you talking to me? well, Im the only one here. Who the hell else are you talking to? :thmup: Nice profile pic

OK, back to the topic. I liked what I saw from Howell when he was out there. He looked like he could cover and I don't recall who it was, think maybe SF game, he decleated some WR. It was a fantastic hit. I have no problem letting him compete for the starting job. Sometimes a guy just needs a chance to get in there and play every day and he makes improvements and the next thing you know he's a darn good player.

I dislike how almost everyone in this thread will state their opinion about a player without a logical argument to support it.

I'd have hoped this thread had more strategic and physiological insight rather than a bunch of trivialities.

He is an inconistent tackler because he tries to wrap up the wrong leg sometimes and guess on where the hole will open on run plays sometimes.....