Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Safety options?

BlueCollarColts

After those two there isn't much left. Vets like Harper and Clark. Nate Allen is a FA too. I'm starting to think there isn't a safety in the draft who can immediately make an impact, unless we trade up. So I think Grigs is going to make a push for Clemons. Signing him makes the most sense. Maybe Ward drove Byrd's price tag down too.

Who do you think our options are at safety, which between it and center, are our only 2 positions of need? Byrd, and Clemons are 2 names that come to mind for me

Chris Clemons is a good coverage safety and would be reasonably cheap IMO.

Based on games and starts he had very little production, we would be paying for maybe a slight upgrade over Bethea but thats debatable at best

How are you grading his production? Passes defensed? Interceptions? I don't think that's a good way to grade defensive backs...

He's not Jairus Byrd, he's probably fairly graded as the 4th best FA safety this year. But I'd take him on a TJ Ward type deal (which is obviously a discount for the Broncos).

How are you grading his production? Passes defensed? Interceptions? I don't think that's a good way to grade defensive backs...

He's not Jairus Byrd, he's probably fairly graded as the 4th best FA safety this year. But I'd take him on a TJ Ward type deal (which is obviously a discount for the Broncos).

Well watching him now he looks like he covers ground quick and tackles well and can get you 100 tackles if thats what you want, He dont look like from what I am watching that he blows coverage much, He has great size, Based on all that you would think he has playmaking ability but he seems to lose sight of the ball at times

Well watching him now he looks like he covers ground quick and tackles well and can get you 100 tackles if thats what you want, He dont look like from what I am watching that he blows coverage much, He has great size, Based on all that you would think he has playmaking ability but he seems to lose sight of the ball at times

It's annoying when defensive backs lose the ball, but Clemons at least doesn't give up the catch. 

It's annoying when defensive backs lose the ball, but Clemons at least doesn't give up the catch. 

Thats true, But I'd just prefer a younger Safety in the draft with likely more upside I guess, Quite a few can put up the production Clemons has more then likely or more that I think will be available in my opinion