Majority "NO" to Decker

Bravo

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Give me a strog run game and killer defense. What super star wr's did Seattle have? Or all those NE teams, ravens, steelers. Etc...

Seattle won with perimiter defense..few could throw on them..

....but anyone who believes in a 'formula'; for winning just doesn't look at all the teams who win

Seattle won with perimiter defense..few could throw on them..

....but anyone who believes in a 'formula'; for winning just doesn't look at all the teams who win

Anyone that doesn't see how teams are winning doesn't look at the teams who win

How about Joe Montana. His injury caused him to lose his starting job. There are more. I think Johnny U even did that.

Montana was 30 when he got hurt and came back a few weeks after his injury. Not even close. Also, your definition of "many" is a major reach....

They won the Superbowl because they rushed 3 talented linemen and dropped the rest back in coverage.

They won the SB because they built their O-Line and D-Line before they looked for a young franchise QB. Because he was on his rookie contract, they were able to keep the team together. Unlike the grab Andrew Luck and let him get beat up for a few years before you build a line or a defense. When he gets the big bucks, they won't be able to do that.

They won the SB because they built their O-Line and D-Line before they looked for a young franchise QB. Because he was on his rookie contract, they were able to keep the team together. Unlike the grab Andrew Luck and let him get beat up for a few years before you build a line or a defense. When he gets the big bucks, they won't be able to do that.

Wow, really?

You are a Colts Fan?

Sorry, kind of hard to believe....

Wow, really?

You are a Colts Fan?

Sorry, kind of hard to believe....

I am and I like Luck as much as you all do. I also thought at the time it was a no brainer to draft him. But after seeing how the 49ers, Ravens and Seahawks got to the Super Bowl, I think the day of taking the QB first is a thing of the past. I am watching Houston closely to see who they draft. I'm betting they take Clowney or trade down and take a QB on the second or third round. That will be a very dangerous team for years to come and they will play with a QB on his rookie contract and they will be able to keep a good line and defense around him. We are already feeling the Andrew Luck penny pinch now.

What is even luckier is that neither are you. But, I wouldn't have traded a number one pick for a dud running back, I wouldn't have given a second round pick for a CB we can't re-sign and I wouldn't have drafted a project on the first round last year. But, you think what every you like.

Richardson was a need and if you can trade a late 20s pick for a top 3 pick in the previous draft in an area of need you do it. We mis-managed him which ultimately led to his lack of production. A second round pick for Vontae was an absolute steal he was playing at an all pro level before he got injured late in the Denver game. Werner was a solid pick in an area of need as well((Though ou of all 3 of your arguments this one holds the most merit because there were other players we coulda got that were arguably better).

Richardson was a need and if you can trade a late 20s pick for a top 3 pick in the previous draft in an area of need you do it. We mis-managed him which ultimately led to his lack of production. A second round pick for Vontae was an absolute steal he was playing at an all pro level before he got injured late in the Denver game. Werner was a solid pick in an area of need as well((Though ou of all 3 of your arguments this one holds the most merit because there were other players we coulda got that were arguably better).

You have to ask yourself why a rebuilding team would trade their number three pick for a low round draft pick. The reason was that they already knew what Richardson was and what he lacked. Now, if you want to argue that they should never have spent the number three pick on a running back at all, I would agree with that. The fact is that just about any back late in the draft or available would be an improvement over Richardson. I will give you that we go two years out of Davis but second round picks are precious and I think we would be better off with those picks than the player we wound up with.

Decker needs someone on the other side who gets the main coverage or he disappears. And he will not take less money to play for a winner or he'd go back to Denver.

That is nonsense. What is your evidence to support that. Before Manning came along his passes came from Tebow and I don't think that means much at all. Where does everyone get this crap that players should take less money to play for a winner? This may be his one and only big payday and he should make it count. He is a salary cap casualty in Denver. They would love to keep him if they could pay him. They can't and they have a promising receiver to take his place.

Remember that you said that when Wayne breaks down again and the Colts have no number one receiver. Decker will be a number one for someone.

Yep --- Hilton is very good.  Wayne was very good...nobody really knows how he will be at 35 coming off an injury.  Brazil/Rogers may be great or busts...the jury is still out on them.  You can't go into the season with only one sure thing WR.

Decker may not be the guy, but the Colts need to sign or draft a good WR.

That is nonsense. What is your evidence to support that. Before Manning came along his passes came from Tebow and I don't think that means much at all. Where does everyone get this crap that players should take less money to play for a winner? This may be his one and only big payday and he should make it count. He is a salary cap casualty in Denver. They would love to keep him if they could pay him. They can't and they have a promising receiver to take his place.

All I'm saying is why pay 10 million for a receiver if he's not one of the best in the league. There's a better way to get a receiver or we can stick with our own this season.

He is not worth #1 WR money - anyone willing to pay that will be overpaying, but hey I'm just a Monday morning QB what do I know ! HAH!

Decker > Tate!

He may be a better wr but I'd rather have Tate also because of his returning abilities

Golden Take has not and will never be able to walk in Decker's shoes. I like him but we don't need any more little receivers. Decker is a big, tall target.

Nah Tate is better better hands, better routes, better at getting YAC, better at pretty much everything. He put up almost 1,000 yards in a run first offense.

Nah Tate is better better hands, better routes, better at getting YAC, better at pretty much everything. He put up almost 1,000 yards in a run first offense.

Well, we will see what he is paid. I think Seattle is going to cut him and he will be a free agent. He is offering a discount to stay.

Golden Tate led all receivers in YAC with 8.0. Decker averaged 4.6

Decker was 14th in the league in drops with 8. Tate dropped 2 passes.Tate had a 2.0% drop rate, Decker had a 5.1% drop rate.

Decker was 18th in yards per route run, Tate was 19th.

One of these guys is going to cost $10M APY and the other is going to cost $5M APY.

Nothing wrong with Decker but...

• The $10M that's been rumored is just way to high for Decker.  His numbers the past two years are inflated because of Manning, but he is good.
  • I'd rather  see that kind of money go for an offer to Mack, who is the closest thing to a sure thing in all of FA (IMO) -- and the biggest area of need on the team.  Colts would have to overpay Mack to make it tough for Cleveland to match (~$10-11M/year).
  • Colts need quality out of the gate in the interior line and specifically at the C position.  Counting on a rookie or Holmes is a risk for a repeat of the last two years.  If they're considering anything close to $8M for one of the 2nd tier Centers, just bite the bullet and overpay Mack (within reason).
  • The WR position is incredibly deep at the top of the draft this year (14-15 receivers worthy of a 1st or 2nd round pick).  It's very likely there will be very good value for the Colts at the WR position in round 2nd.
  • A rookie WR makes sense this year.  Don't need them to step in and start right away but be ready for next year as a future replacement for Reggie.
  • A quality 2nd round WR with a rookie contract would be good to have when TY, Luck, Fleener, and Allen get paid in 2016.  It would be hard to sign all of Fleener, Allen, and TY with a $10M Decker.

I am and I like Luck as much as you all do. I also thought at the time it was a no brainer to draft him. But after seeing how the 49ers, Ravens and Seahawks got to the Super Bowl, I think the day of taking the QB first is a thing of the past. I am watching Houston closely to see who they draft. I'm betting they take Clowney or trade down and take a QB on the second or third round. That will be a very dangerous team for years to come and they will play with a QB on his rookie contract and they will be able to keep a good line and defense around him. We are already feeling the Andrew Luck penny pinch now.

This is just a simply misguided notion.

Let me ask you - when Wilson and Kaepernick contract's are up, what do you think the Niners and Hawks will do? Let them walk and rebuild in the fashion you suggest or pay them?

The answer is very clearly pay them. Why do you think that is? Because it is the most important position in sports and the one position most responsible for a team winning. If you do not have a QB, you have nothing. This new model you keep yammering on and on about is nothing close to a new model.