Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What Would You Do If He Can Go In Game 16?

dn4192

Lets say the Colts head into the final game with the Jags and having position of the first pick in the NFL draft with Miami having 1 win and us having 0. IF Peyton has worked out the entire month of Dec and says he is ready to go, do you play him and say risk losing that first round pick or do you play him and see how he does to better know what to do in the draft and not worry about having that overall number 1 pick?

Edited by dn4192

If you go back to last year, Manning missed the preseason and came back and wasn't very sharp in his first 4 games. It took him a while to get back on the same page with his receivers, and get back to his level of performance. I feel that if you put Manning in the game to evaluate him, it would be unfair. Obviously, he will not be playing at the level that we are used to seeing him play at. If he were to play solely for evaluation purposes, then we would be doing him an injustice. The chance that he may get injured far outwheighs what we would gain from this unfair evaluation. It would actually leave us with more questions than answers.

Edited by Flash777

Polian said Manning is not on IR because they want to see him practice effectively in December, plus he has also been high on Painter and expects him to start the rest of the season. There are a lot of IFs that need to happen right BEFORE we can even entertain the possibility of Peyton playing on the field. Based on all that Polian has said, I doubt Peyton will suit up for game 16 to play on the field.

Edited by chad72

He will play because he does not want to have to deal with the soap opera that would dominate the sport world should the King of College QB's" be drafted by the Colts. The general consensus is leaning toward the Colts finishing worse than the Dolphins. Trust me, he will go all out to win.

He will play because he does not want to have to deal with the soap opera that would dominate the sport world should the King of College QB's" be drafted by the Colts. The general consensus is leaning toward the Colts finishing worse than the Dolphins. Trust me, he will go all out to win.

He may "want" to play, but if you were GM and or Coach would you play him?

Lets say the Colts head into the final game with the Jags and having position of the first pick in the NFL draft with Miami having 1 win and us having 0. IF Peyton has worked out the entire month of Dec and says he is ready to go, do you play him and say risk losing that first round pick or do you play him and see how he does to better know what to do in the draft and not worry about having that overall number 1 pick?

VERY GOOD QUESTION....dn....you are the man...

To me...he plays..at Jacksonville

You cannot go 0-16...that's a stink that does not wash off..You are the worst of ALL TIME

and if he's ready to go and proves it.,.you dont NEED the No.1 pick...

because you're probably trading No.2 for mulltiple picks anyway/..

But I think you owe it to your fans and the 53 guys who have fought a losing battle for 4 months..

..to go all out for that one win..

Once you're cleared..you cant worry about injuries..

Healthy players not on IR play.

VERY GOOD QUESTION....dn....you are the man...

To me...he plays..at Jacksonville

You cannot go 0-16...that's a stink that does not wash off..You are the worst of ALL TIME

and if he's ready to go and proves it.,.you dont NEED the No.1 pick...

because you're probably trading No.2 for mulltiple picks anyway/..

But I think you owe it to your fans and the 53 guys who have fought a losing battle for 4 months..

..to go all out for that one win..

Once you're cleared..you cant worry about injuries..

Healthy players not on IR play.

Nope, he won't play in some meaningless game. You need the #1 pick still b/c Peyton is either done or almost done.

The doomsday scenario eh? I say play him, no question about it, you play your best player's who give you a chance to win... that's what the undefeated crowd wanted a few years ago (I sided with polian on that issue btw), and now I'd guess that it's a lot of the same people saying sit him. I'd guess that it won't come to that because I don't think he'll be ready to throw until spring.

The doomsday scenario eh? I say play him, no question about it, you play your best player's who give you a chance to win... that's what the undefeated crowd wanted a few years ago (I sided with polian on that issue btw), and now I'd guess that it's a lot of the same people saying sit him. I'd guess that it won't come to that because I don't think he'll be ready to throw until spring.

I guess it comes down to what you value more. Is having a possible 1-15 record more important over having the number 1 pick in the draft?

No, don't play him. Several reasons:

1.) It's a meaningless game.

2.) Peyton may get hurt again (you never know, with our shoddy o-line, and him being rusty).

3.) It's an unfair evaluation, considering how long he's been out and since Painter has been taking all the practice snaps.

4.) We may lose the 1st overall pick.

I guess really it boils down to Luck or no Luck not just the 1st pick. I'd say if Peyton can play, ride him for a few more seasons. He win's now with a few tweeks on the team. This team is setting its self up for a epic off season.

Fish is right.

Luck could be Jay Cutler

No one outside the message boards and ESPN is saying there's any possibility Manning's career is over..

Dont obcess on the No.1 pick.

No. 2 is just as good.

You dont want to be winless.

0-16 is forever

Well actually 0-16 isn't, are people still looking at detroit as an 0-16 team? What about the bucs? There is a HUGE difference in No1 and No 2, think back, what if the Colts would have had the No. 2 pick the year Peyton came out....think the Colts would be where they have been the past decade?

Just a series of practices to test his arm are going to happen. Playing in a game won't prove anything more to the F.O. but would show the rest of the league he's healthy.....

So if he does actually play, it may signal that the F.O. is thinking about trading him.

Not being 0-16...

The No.2 pick in the draft is just as good as No.1 if you're trading it

No its not because everyone wants Luck, and teams will pay the kings ransom.

Your statement would be true if you didn't want to trade your pick and didn't want Luck either.

Does The INDY Star count? http://blogs.indysta...-makes-it-back/

P & E...

Media writes form a negative standpoint. Worst case scenario. that's how you write

I pay as much attention to what you say as I do to somebody who's trying to be provocative.

..and this guy said we have to wait until Dec 1...what's new about that?

What did Manning say today that we didnt know.

There is a 3-mnoth recovery period.

We're at the end of month 2.

I guess I didnt expect him to be cleared to begin practice today..

He will not work out the entire month of December. His fusion has not happened yet.

nerves have not regenerated.

He will not have his restrictions lifted.

This is going to be an off season drama

If by some miracle, all this played out as you suggest...........it would not be a fair evaluation at all. The man has not played football in almost a year.

He will not work out the entire month of December. His fusion has not happened yet.

nerves have not regenerated.

He will not have his restrictions lifted.

This is going to be an off season drama

If by some miracle, all this played out as you suggest...........it would not be a fair evaluation at all. The man has not played football in almost a year.

We can choose to be pessimistic..but doctors said he would not possibly be cleared to play before Dec. 1.

Polian said if he's cleared on Dec.1 he will practice and may play..

Isnt that what they said?

In no way should the man play this year.

If they were willing to throw away a chance at true greatness with the 14-1 atrocity in 2009 because the game was "meaningless" and "irrelevant for playoff seeding" why would you play an injured man in an even more "meaningless" game which was even more "irrelevant for playoff seeding"?

Edited by Blue Horseshoe

Dear God - you do come up with all kinds of off the wall threads.

There is not a single, solitary chance he would see the field under those circumstances. No way no how not to mention no way Jose. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

You already know what he is capable of from the practices leading up to the game. He is not going to make some fantastic throw in the game that they had not seen in practice. There is no sense in getting him hurt by taking an unnecessary hit. And why would they mess up the chance at the # 1 pick even if they have no intention of keeping it. It is a tremendously valuable commodity.

We can choose to be pessimistic..but doctors said he would not possibly be cleared to play before Dec. 1.

Let me guess - as you typed that you were playing with your pet unicorn while chewing on a lollipop and thinking about little puppies.

Is it pessimism if it is realism?

Dear God - you do come up with all kinds of off the wall threads.

There is not a single, solitary chance he would see the field under those circumstances. No way no how not to mention no way Jose. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

You already know what he is capable of from the practices leading up to the game. He is not going to make some fantastic throw in the game that they had not seen in practice. There is no sense in getting him hurt by taking an unnecessary hit. And why would they mess up the chance at the # 1 pick even if they have no intention of keeping it. It is a tremendously valuable commodity.

I don't think he should, but I can see the Colts playing him, if only for a half to see what they got with him if he is cleared to play.

Only the Colts would do something stupid like play him in a meaningless game while the # 1 pick is there for the taking. There is a huge difference between #1 and #2 pick. Manning and Leaf ring a bell. It allows us to take who we want not get the leftovers.

Ewww draft leftovers...:-)

Dont obcess on the No.1 pick.

No. 2 is just as good.

You dont want to be winless.

0-16 is forever

0-16 isn't really a big deal anymore. We wouldn't be alone as Detroit goes down as the first team to do it. Colts won't put Peyton in just to avoid going winless. Colts don't care about that stuff as they showed when they gave up on their perfect season. All 0-16 would mean is that we will be picking 1st in the draft unless Miami also somehow finishes winless, and that we may finally get some shake up in the coaching staff. Those are hardly negative consequences.

Edited by Coltsman1788

0-16 isn't really a big deal anymore. We wouldn't be alone as Detroit goes down as the first team to do it. Colts won't put Peyton in just to avoid going winless. Colts don't care about that stuff as they showed when they gave up on their perfect season. All 0-16 would mean is that we will be picking 1st in the draft unless Miami also somehow finishes winless, and that we may finally get some shake up in the coaching staff. Those are hardly negative consequences.

Yeah, 0-16 is a huge deal..http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201111/nfls-worst-owner-over-last-five-years

I guess I fall into the pessimistic camp then.