Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano: If he can help us win games, he's more than welcome.

TKnight24

@CraigKColts: .@Colts Chuck Pagano says Michael Sam would be welcome with Colts. Ryan Grigson says would make Trent Richardson trade again.

@CraigKColts: Pagano on M.Sam: The Colts never will discriminate based on sexual orientation. If he can help us win games, he's more than welcome.

Take this for what you wish. I personally believe we would welcome him with open arms. I don't think this is one of those "Look good for the media" comments some coaches or GM's make

Well, free agency dictates a few things too. Walden, Mathis and Werner at OLB. Unless Sam drops to the 5th, I don't see the Colts picking OLB since we don't have a 4th. Mayock called him a bit of a tweener rated to go anywhere between 3rd and 5th round.

ILB, DE and S are probably bigger needs, IMO. We have to wait and see what happens in free agency.

Meh. He's a good kid and has a nice story but IIRC most of his sacks came in 1-2 games against mediocre competition. 

That was enough for Terrell Suggs to get DPOY a couple years ago... But I agree, mostly. I'm not sure about Sam as a player, I haven't spent a lot of time watching him. But you can't get enamored with his sack numbers and ignore the times that he's a complete nonfactor.

Regarding Trent Richardson, I like him. He works hard, he has the perfect attitude, I believe that he will still be an asset to us next season. 

Regarding Sam, INDY has the right leadership in the locker room to handle the 1st openly gay NFL player with flying colors & the Colts do not believe in hazing rookies so this partnership would operate just fine. I don't see us selecting him though. I have no problem either way. Just be a team player & help us win games if you become a Colt. That's all I care about. 

I would say this though: Don't pick Sam just to be charitable or compassionate. Select him only if Grigs or Pagano believes that Sam fills a legitimate need. INDY is not the Red Cross. Don't select him strictly based on kindness or a public relations move by the front office or ownership. 

Meh. He's a good kid and has a nice story but IIRC most of his sacks came in 1-2 games against mediocre competition.

Most (all) of the Mathis sacks came against mediocre competition when he was in college too.

I'm a Buckeye and thought Gholston was a great player for us. He had sacks against some top competition, including Jake Long. Turned out he was a one trick pony and that trick was quickly negated in the pros.

My point is that his competition matters less than his talent.

He's just another player. His sexual orientation doesn't matter. Legally, it can't.

Yeah they were discussing his film on mike and mike. Saying it's sad cause he's not really that good and don't be surprised he goes undrafted. But they will say it's cause he's gay. I can care less if the dude is gay or not. But if he's not good he's not good. Period.

1342911074757.jpg

Yes, I suppose that the phase "with flying colors" has a double meaning there doesn't it?  haha  Hey, at least I didn't tell Sam that since we live in the "Land of the home & the free" in America, that he should let his "freedom flag fly" right? Just Kidding! Okay, SW1 had better stop this word game now before I really get myself in hot water & sadly blur that line between harmless fun & accidental insensitivity. Enough said. 

Thanks for making me chuckle Superman! 

I've been thinking about it alot and unlike in previous drafts I felt we should go for BPA based on need, In this draft I think we should go BPA with the exception of QB, RB, TE. All other positions should be fair game to me even if that means drafting a player that dont fit your scheme like a glove, you fit your scheme around that players talents. We need playmakers, There are playmakers in this draft at every position. Use FA to upgrade weak spots unless

Yeah they were discussing his film on mike and mike. Saying it's sad cause he's not really that good and don't be surprised he goes undrafted. But they will say it's cause he's gay. I can care less if the dude is gay or not. But if he's not good he's not good. Period.

Mike and Mike don't know what they're talking about, especially Mike (Greenberg, that is). But Sam is currently rated as a 5th round prospect.

I've been thinking about it alot and unlike in previous drafts I felt we should go for BPA based on need, In this draft I think we should go BPA with the exception of QB, RB, TE. All other positions should be fair game to me even if that means drafting a player that dont fit your scheme like a glove, you fit your scheme around that players talents. We need playmakers, There are playmakers in this draft at every position. Use FA to upgrade weak spots unless

I agree with regards to the BPA in the draft, to some extent.

To me, it all boils down to what happens in FA. Who leaves and who joins. Perhaps we sign a WR. Perhaps Grigson, Pagano and the coaching staff is satisfied with the group of WRs we have. Perhaps we sign an ILB or a CB. Maybe we sign an FS, maybe Bethea stays.

A lot of scenarios could very well exclude more positions from the BPA route, just like currently it would make no sense picking a QB, TE or RB, especially with our 2nd or 3rd rounders.

I don't care what his sexual orientation is it all you hear about my question is do the Colts need him IMO that is No .

This is Mike Mayocks opinion

At 6-foot-2 and 255 pounds, Sam lacks prototype size to play defensive end, and might not be fluid enough to play linebacker, and drop into coverage. He’s a pass-rusher (who had 10.5 sacks last year), and that has value.

“He’s an explosive kid who’s much better going forward than he is going backward,’’ Mayock said. “His size would dictate he’s got to be a linebacker, but I don’t think his physical skill-set dictates that, and therein lies the rub. He’s got some ability coming off the edge and chasing a quarterback. However, I don’t think he has an ability to stand up and play linebacker.

“Depending on your scheme and what you’re looking for, he’s not an every-down play. The best case for me is he’s a four-team special teams player and a situational pass-rusher. It just depends on where you value that kind of guy.’’

And whether you think your locker room and leadership is stable enough to handle the attention that will come with it.

Nothing special don't waste a draft pick if undrafted give him a look ..

I don't care what his sexual orientation is it all you hear about my question is do the Colts need him IMO that is No .

This is Mike Mayocks opinion

At 6-foot-2 and 255 pounds, Sam lacks prototype size to play defensive end, and might not be fluid enough to play linebacker, and drop into coverage. He’s a pass-rusher (who had 10.5 sacks last year), and that has value.

“He’s an explosive kid who’s much better going forward than he is going backward,’’ Mayock said. “His size would dictate he’s got to be a linebacker, but I don’t think his physical skill-set dictates that, and therein lies the rub. He’s got some ability coming off the edge and chasing a quarterback. However, I don’t think he has an ability to stand up and play linebacker.

“Depending on your scheme and what you’re looking for, he’s not an every-down play. The best case for me is he’s a four-team special teams player and a situational pass-rusher. It just depends on where you value that kind of guy.’’

And whether you think your locker room and leadership is stable enough to handle the attention that will come with it.

Nothing special don't waste a draft pick if undrafted give him a look ..

Yep, we have had plenty of those tweeners playing DT like Keyunta Dawson and others in a 4-3 but rarely in a 3-4, and we know the results from the Dungy days. It would be different if Michael Sam had the edge speed like a Robert Mathis who was a bit lighter coming out of Alabama A & M but he does not. Situational pass rusher, no matter which way you slice it.

We all scoffed when the Seahawks got Bruce Irvin, I think, in round 1. He is still a situational pass rusher and because of the depth of the Seahawks' DL, he could be effective on limited downs. So, in the overall scheme of things, despite being SB champs, Seahawks still reached for him, no doubt. But we don't have the depth on the DL and LB front first to make a situational pass rusher more effective, at least not with a pick prior to round 5, IMO.

It's amazing how admiting he's gay that all of a sudden this guy's stock has taken a huge jump. Before his admission, nobody knew who this kid was and those who did didn't think much of his ability at the next level. I had no idea that being gay made your football skills that much better.(sarcasm)

It's amazing how admiting he's gay that all of a sudden this guy's stock has taken a huge jump. Before his admission, nobody knew who this kid was and those who did didn't think much of his ability at the next level. I had no idea that being gay made your football skills that much better.(sarcasm)

Have you been living under a rock since the end of the season or a fox hole?

I'd be stunned if he goes undrafted.    Completely shocked.

But.....

I do not think he'll get drafted before the 5th round...   and I'm confident that most of the mainstream media will interpret it wrongly that it's because he's gay and not because he's got issues as a player (not as a person) that will hurt him on the field.

A huge jump?    What makes you think his stock is up?     My sense is the opposite.

And the idea that no one knew who he was is baffling....   the guy was the SEC co-defensive player of the year.   And he was known before the year started.     He's been on NFL radars for a long time.

I think you're way off on this post.....    head scratching....

He played in the SEC so his "medicore" competition was still a lot better than most conferences

Most (all) of the Mathis sacks came against mediocre competition when he was in college too.

I'm a Buckeye and thought Gholston was a great player for us. He had sacks against some top competition, including Jake Long. Turned out he was a one trick pony and that trick was quickly negated in the pros.

My point is that his competition matters less than his talent.

I don't know about that, unless i'm reading it wrong.  He played in the SEC which in college football is the toughest conference, not to mention that he was DPOY (or Co-DPOY) according to NCF.

I applaud the guy for coming "out" and getting ahead of the "situation" I just hope they allow this kid to play football versus making him the new "Tebow" with non-stop news coverage.  

He played in the SEC so his "medicore" competition was still a lot better than most conferences

I don't know about that, unless i'm reading it wrong.  He played in the SEC which in college football is the toughest conference, not to mention that he was DPOY (or Co-DPOY) according to NCF.

I applaud the guy for coming "out" and getting ahead of the "situation" I just hope they allow this kid to play football versus making him the new "Tebow" with non-stop news coverage.  

Yeah, I was responding to a post that implied most of his sacks came against weaker competition.  I said that Mathis's college sacks also came against 'weaker' competition.  Bethea, TY, played against weaker...

But, like you said, the last few SEC DPOY have done pretty well in the NFL.  

Agreed.  If he isn't drafted, what will the response be now?  

There are already gay players in the NFL.  No one really cares but it almost seems (the way ESPN has been talking about it) as if we are supposed to be applauding this.   I watch NFL football because I like football; this isn't a social experiment.

Yeah they were discussing his film on mike and mike. Saying it's sad cause he's not really that good and don't be surprised he goes undrafted. But they will say it's cause he's gay. I can care less if the dude is gay or not. But if he's not good he's not good. Period

I care, but I'm not going to derail the thread on that subject again.  But since i live in Kansas when I did watch college football it was usually KU or Mizz and no Sam is not that good.  He has a good motor but that is about it.  He's not quick off the snap, has no moves (not only did most of his sacks come against lesser competition but they also came became someone else flushed the QB out of the pocket towards Sam), his strength is average to below average and in the senior bowl when they tried him at OLB he showed he lacked the agility and fied awareness for the position.

But Sam got what he wanted, a lot of people are talking about a marginal NFL prospect who probably will not make it out of training camp or, if he does, off the practice squad.  Then he will sue the NFL for sexual orientation discrimination.

Mike and Mike don't know what they're talking about, especially Mike (Greenberg, that is). But Sam is currently rated as a 5th round prospect.

I'd say after yesterday, his stock might have dropped a little bit.  Tough to say, because we're obviously not in the scouting department.  He might have shown exactly what most scouts thought of him, but there's no doubting that he didn't improve his situation yesterday.