Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Emmanuel Sanders

We made the playoffs and won a playoff game without Reggie Wayne, so with him back, we have no reason to go after a WR in FA or the draft. I think the only reason you get a WR in the draft is to replace Wayne. We have too many needs to use our 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR, and you won't replace Wayne with a 4th or 5th round pick, so getting a late round WR is a bit of a waste to me. 

For those of you who want a receiver, what about Danario Alexander? He had a really good season two years ago but was hurt this year. He has good size, and would come cheap. I think we are set at WR. I'm just throwing his name out there.

Totally agree, if Grigs brings in a WR, a guy like Alexander seems like the logical route to me, he had a decent campaign in 2012, maybe not an all-pro guy, but a player that will come cheap so the other needs can be addressed...

I think that Grigs needs to address the WR position in FA, or after the draft via UDFAs but with a WR group of Wayne, Hilton, Brazil, Rogers, & Whalen, and TE's Fleener & Allen, the Colts don't need to break the bank on an All star, just bring in a solid guy for depth and insurance (knocking on wood) in the unfortunate situation that the dreaded injury bug strikes again...

I just assume Sanders will be looking for the big payday, in contrast to a guy like Alexander or even Maclin, who may take a show me type deal, since they are both coming off of injury...

For those of you who want a receiver, what about Danario Alexander? He had a really good season two years ago but was hurt this year. He has good size, and would come cheap. I think we are set at WR. I'm just throwing his name out there.

After all the injuries and such, will he continue his career?

We made the playoffs and won a playoff game without Reggie Wayne, so with him back, we have no reason to go after a WR in FA or the draft. I think the only reason you get a WR in the draft is to replace Wayne. We have too many needs to use our 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR, and you won't replace Wayne with a 4th or 5th round pick, so getting a late round WR is a bit of a waste to me. 

We got Garcon in the 6th round.  Not that he's as good as Reggie, but VERY few players are.  Quality players can be had in later rounds so it would be foolish to rule out a position based on the fact it's a later round pick.  Depending on who's available, it may not happen this offseason but someone to replace Reggie is needed sooner rather than later.

We've got to replace DHB with somebody.  I wouldn't mind if it was Sanders if the price is right.  He's got hands like glue

and he's got good speed as well. Certainly we could get by without him, but I certainly wouldn't be mad if we did pick him

up. TY, Wayne, Sanders and Brazil with Whalen and Rogers contributing.  I'd be all for it!  Not to mention Fleener and Allen

at the Tight End position. If we can get the line and running game going like we need to it will be a really nasty combination.

Certainly there are more playing days behind for Reggie than there are ahead.  I don't like saying it but it's just reality.  I'd prefer to believe that he will come back from his injury and be the same old Reggie.  Looking at it realistically that may just not be the case.  I personally liked what I saw this year out of our WR group.  Having said that, as much as I hate to admit it the day is going to come when we are going to have to look for a successor for Reggie just as we did for Marvin Harrison. 

We got lucky in a sense with Reggie pretty much just stepping into the role that was vacated by Marvin.  I very much believe that we should be keeping an eye out for a WR, I'm just not sure if this year is the year to pick one up or not.  The hiring of Chudzinski and his love of the attacking style of Offense compared to Pep's run on 1st, 2nd & 3rd down philosophy should make things interesting.  I don't know if Emmanuel Sanders is the answer or not but I'd prefer to spend our FA dollars somewhere else in order to address some of the glaring holes on the  team before we even know what condition Reggie is going to come back from his injury in.

He can have a bigger role in the slot after Reggie retires due to his size. So an outside receiver would be a better fit than Sanders.

Why? He appears to be quite effective outside. A Rodgers Sanders Hilton combo could be deadly....not that I'm in favor of signing sanders for $$$$$

We've got to replace DHB with somebody. I wouldn't mind if it was Sanders if the price is right. He's got hands like glue

and he's got good speed as well. Certainly we could get by without him, but I certainly wouldn't be mad if we did pick him

up. TY, Wayne, Sanders and Brazil with Whalen and Rogers contributing. I'd be all for it! Not to mention Fleener and Allen

at the Tight End position. If we can get the line and running game going like we need to it will be a really nasty combination.

We had replaced DHB with Rogers

We had replaced DHB with Rogers

Rogers has potential and I like him but I still think there is room for 1 more vet receiver who is a deep threat.

If Reggie was to go down again I'd like to have another vet presence like Sanders on the team to go along

with Brazil, TY, Whalen, and Rogers.

Rogers has potential and I like him but I still think there is room for 1 more vet receiver who is a deep threat.

If Reggie was to go down again I'd like to have another vet presence like Sanders on the team to go along

Meh, would rather spend that kind of money somewhere else

Rather just give Brazill and Rogers extended snaps if that happened again than sign a "mediocre receiver"(my best Richard Sherman voice) like Sanders.

Time to let these guys develop instead of thrusting a middling receiver ahead of them and stunting their growth

I would like to see Richard Sherman play CB behind a "mediocre" DL ...

just sayin...

Rather just give Brazill and Rogers extended snaps if that happened again than sign a "mediocre receiver"(my best Richard Sherman voice) like Sanders.
Time to let these guys develop instead of thrusting a middling receiver ahead of them and stunting their growth

We ran a variety of different offensive formations as the season progressed.  If we did choose to sign Sanders it doesn't mean that you have to bench Brazil or keep Rogers from playing. I don't see how 67 receptions and 6 touchdowns was or is mediocre.  The guy had between 3 to 5 drops on the entire year.  I think he'd be a good guy to have if T.Y. or Wayne went down.  There were several times during the season it almost looked like T.Y wouldn't get up off the ground.  I'd only want Sanders if the price was right though.

just sayin...

He did his rookie year. All they had was Chris Clemons(11 sacks). Raheem Brock was the other pass rusher in 2011 and he had 3 sacks.

Sherman still had 55 tackles 17 pass defensed and 4 ints

We ran a variety of different offensive formations as the season progressed. If we did choose to sign Sanders it doesn't mean that you have to bench Brazil or keep Rogers from playing. I don't see how 67 receptions and 6 touchdowns was or is mediocre. The guy had between 3 to 5 drops on the entire year. I think he'd be a good guy to have if T.Y. or Wayne went down. There were several times during the season it almost looked like T.Y wouldn't get up off the ground. I'd only want Sanders if the price was right though.

He also had 112 targets. He doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have

just sayin...

your underselling how good he is, At this point in his career he is way better then anything we have....or have had since Colts came to Indy.....Way better, way smarter at the position to....Colts only had 2 less sacks then Seattle did all year 

He also had 112 targets. He doesn't bring anything to the table that we don't already have

The Steelers line was trash, they couldn't even run the football so they had to pass a lot more and get the ball out quickly. Of course his targets would be up and the stat itself includes balls that are not even catchable.  I do agree it's certainly not a position that we need to spend huge money on. We would still be a good offensive team.  I still think he adds another deep threat to the team.  The same thing we expected out of Bey but never got.  Again I like Rogers but I don't consider him a player with a whole lot of deep speed. You can use him some in that capacity, but his way of beating you would be due to his height.

Ok..     Brandon Browner was a undrafted player who had to go to the CFL.  ...      he was a journeyman.

He lands in Seattle and he is an All Pro level talent.    He gets suspended and there is NO drop of in play from the position.   That pass rush only has to bring 4 to get heat on a QB and that is HUGE.

Chancellor  and  Thomas are heart and soul of the backfield.  They drop the hammer.   He can be super aggressive because he has the 2 best S's in the NFL backing him.   And the best pass rush.

Sherman is a very good player, but there is a very good reason he is "as good as he is"     V Davis has to cover a WR for 5+ seconds?   Sherm has to hold for 3 or less on most plays.  Believe me that is a big difference. 

TY showed you first hand what happens when the rush does not get to the QB.  hehehe  :td:

your underselling how good he is, At this point in his career he is way better then anything we have....or have had since Colts came to Indy.....Way better, way smarter at the position to....Colts only had 2 less sacks then Seattle did all year