Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So now I am getting trashed talked as a Colts fan...

bap1331

All I hear is, "that's what happens when you let Peyton go... He takes his team to the SB. Karma had it coming"

I'm like, um Peyton has a better overall team now. If we kept him our cap space would be one of the lowest in the league and we would have not been able to get a good defense. We probably wouldn't have been able to resign our players. Just like the Saints are losing Jimmy Graham.

I am so hyped for our team now. We have amazing young players with TY Hilton, Andrew Luck, Vontae, Freeman. A very promising team for a decade to come.

But glad Peyton has another chance at the bowl.

What do I say about this (letting Peyton go) to shut the other fans up. So irritating!!!!

Maybe they don't have high football knowledge. I live in Cali and there are no Colts fan here that I know of, all my buddies here are 49ers fan or Raiders fans, all of them say that the Luck draft and letting Peyton go was a good organizational move for both parties.

None of them said to me today, should have kept Peyton. 

Maybe they don't have high football knowledge. I live in Cali and there are no Colts fan here that I know of, all my buddies here are 49ers fan or Raiders fans, all of them say that the Luck draft and letting Peyton go was a good organizational move for both parties.

None of them said to me today, should have kept Peyton.

I'm from Socal lol. I support Peyton but all the nonsense talk makes me want to hate the Broncos lol. But w.e.

If you trust your analysis and opinion, why should anyone else's comment matter at all?

You make you argument, If they disagree, screw them... to each their own.

The Colts made the right decision in going with Luck in that time and space!

All too often people worry too much about what other people think, in the end you need to trust yourself.

All I hear is, "that's what happens when you let Peyton go... He takes his team to the SB. Karma had it coming"

I'm like, um Peyton has a better overall team now. If we kept him our cap space would be one of the lowest in the league and we would have not been able to get a good defense. We probably wouldn't have been able to resign our players. Just like the Saints are losing Jimmy Graham.

I am so hyped for our team now. We have amazing young players with TY Hilton, Andrew Luck, Vontae, Freeman. A very promising team for a decade to come.

What do I say about this (letting Peyton go) to shut the other fans up. So irritating!!!!

It was a business decision.  People can like it or not like it, but the NFL teams are businesses.  We could have kept Peyton, who I loved having here, for  two or three more years and chanced a QB (we would have the Andy Dalton or Matt Schaub types) for several years until we had our franchise QB or we could have let Peyton go and take Luck and have him (hopefully) for the next ten to fifteen years.  Smart business decision.

It was a business decision.  People can like it or not like it, but the NFL teams are businesses.  We could have kept Peyton, who I loved having here, for  two or three more years and chanced a QB (we would have the Andy Dalton or Matt Schaub types) for several years until we had our franchise QB or we could have let Peyton go and take Luck and have him (hopefully) for the next ten to fifteen years.  Smart business decision.

Although Schaub and Dalton are both pretty fine QB's in there own right in my opinion, I just think they have the mental toughness to reained poised under pressure(At least Schaub does), Schaub Im sure dont, you could see it all over his face when he threw a pick. Jury is still out on Dalton but I think he lets bad plays or throws get to him as well and it has a negative affect and snowballs

Although Schaub and Dalton are both pretty fine QB's in there own right in my opinion, I just think they have the mental toughness to reained poised under pressure(At least Schaub does), Schaub Im sure dont, you could see it all over his face when he threw a pick. Jury is still out on Dalton but I think he lets bad plays or throws get to him as well and it has a negative affect and snowballs

I agree about the jury being out of Dalton. My original point had to do with the idea that if we didn't take Luck when we did, we could be stuck with mediocre (or seemingly mediocre) prospects at QB for a long time.  Dalton will get better; Schaub can retire.

It was always a long term vs short term decision.

There was always the small chance that in the short term that we will have some setbacks and Peyton may or may not. That doesn't mean that Peyton's success puts a damper on the decision or our organization. Sound business decision, whichever way you slice it.

Just think about it. We were supposed to be re-building team. Year after year, this team surprises by taking that extra step, beating teams like the 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos that we were not supposed to beat based on Vegas odds. We get a playoff berth in year 1, get a division title in year 2 and for all you know, we might win the SB in 2014 (I think we will, which is my prediction) and guess what, you will be the one that will ENJOY talking smack.

Peyton would have been a NOW decision only. Luck is a NOW and THEN decision. Very simple to rationalize.

It's so incredibly difficult to win a SB, that if Peyton wins it, it's a fair debate. I understand all of the in's and out's of why Peyton was released and I was pro drafting Luck after the Colts managed to lose to the Jaguars week 17 a few seasons ago, but Peyton may get the last laugh on this one. 

I'm pulling for him, but it won't make the Colts look good and it will add to the pressure cooker of expectations we fans place on Luck. That won't make anything easier.  

but it won't make the Colts look good and it will add to the pressure cooker of expectations we fans place on Luck.

I disagree. It will not reflect poorly on the Colts, no matter what. Luck already has the pressure of being touted as the most NFL ready QB from the draft in the last decade and has dealt with it extremely well the first 2 seasons, the results speak for themselves. No amount of winning from another team will have an impact on the pressure he puts on himself or the pressure he already inherited as starting QB of a winning franchise.

The standard here is SB wins. Considering there's no way to know for sure if the Luck era will produce a SB win, it will observed by some that the Colts let a SB walk in the form of one of the best ever. 

I know there's more to it than that, but I did say "look", the optics if you will. I agree that as far as the actual team is concerned, it won't matter. But the fans will be uptight, and the bandwagon Bronco fans (that's what you Peyton first fans are, you won't care about the Broncos when Peyton leaves.) here in Indiana will never shut up about it.

There's an upside to the Seahawks winning this thing. 

Not much you can do. It was the right decision at the time and still is for the future even if Peyton wins the SB. It stinks I am sure though.

It really doesn't, though.  Any rational fan would realize that Peyton would have next to zero chance to win a SB here, and once you get past that, there's really nothing but love for the guy (unless he's playing/impacting the Colts).

This isn't news. We know what Manning is. The organization chose long term success over short term. But make no mistake, Manning would not have won another Super Bowl with the squad he was playing with in his last year with the Colts. They still would have had to rebuild and that would probably have robbed Peyton of an opportunity to win another SB

This isn't news. We know what Manning is. The organization chose long term success over short term. But make no mistake, Manning would not have won another Super Bowl with the squad he was playing with in his last year with the Colts. They still would have had to rebuild and that would probably have robbed Peyton of an opportunity to win another SB

That's unknowable, Manning took some average Colts teams pretty far. We wouldn't have had the cap space we do, but the Rams got 4 starters plus the number 2 overall for Griffin. Who knows what we could have done with a trade?

Not that it matters, it's working out great with a young star franchise qb to build around I'm glad we took Luck. But I don't buy that we couldn't go back to the superbowl with Manning.

That's unknowable, Manning took some average Colts teams pretty far. We wouldn't have had the cap space we do, but the Rams got 4 starters plus the number 2 overall for Griffin. Who knows what we could have done with a trade?

Not that it matters, it's working out great with a young star franchise qb to build around I'm glad we took Luck. But I don't buy that we couldn't go back to the superbowl with Manning.

Let me rephrase. I seriously doubt they we would based on how the team played in 2010.

Just have to suck it up this year and ignore the ignorant quips from clueless fans/media or those with amnesia.

Reality is if Peyton was still here...he probably would not have sniffed another Super Bowl.  He was killing our cap and we wouldn't have been able to put a complete team around him.  Additionally, with the shoddy line we had this year he would have been killed.  Denver was the perfect situation for him.  Congrats to P-Money.  He proved a lot of people wrong...including the Colts.  But at the end of the day, Indy made the only decision it could have given the uncertain circumstances at the time.  When Peyton hoists his Lombardi this year and then fades into the sunset shortly following, the Colts should still have many years of Super Bowl contending football in front of them.

Just have to suck it up this year and ignore the ignorant quips from clueless fans/media or those with amnesia.

Reality is if Peyton was still here...he probably would not have sniffed another Super Bowl.  He was killing our cap and we wouldn't have been able to put a complete team around him.  Additionally, with the shoddy line we had this year he would have been killed.  Denver was the perfect situation for him.  Congrats to P-Money.  He proved a lot of people wrong...including the Colts.  But at the end of the day, Indy made the only decision it could have given the uncertain circumstances at the time.  When Peyton hoists his Lombardi this year and then fades into the sunset shortly following, the Colts should still have many years of Super Bowl contending football in front of them.

So how did Denver manage to put a complete team around him at his $20 mil salary? And they did it after the Tebow debacle to boot.

So how did Denver manage to put a complete team around him at his $20 mil salary? And they did it after the Tebow debacle to boot.

They had drafted better the last few years with DT, Decker, Von Miller, Woodyard, Trevathan etc. and the Colts' roster was more devoid of talent, IMO, thanks to years of sub-par drafting with Bill Polian's son Chris Polian at the helm.

They had drafted better the last few years with DT, Decker, Von Miller, Woodyard, Trevathan etc. and the Colts' roster was more devoid of talent, IMO, thanks to years of sub-par drafting with Bill Polian's son Chris Polian at the helm.

Ok. So how long before Luck gets the right team around him?

3 years of drafting for and building the 3-4, it took the Packers about 3 years to get it right??? I'm thinking year 3 will be the BIG jump.

We had about $43 mil. in dead cap space that came off, so technically we had 1 free agency offseason and 1 defensive draft at best out of 2 drafts. The first year draft, we had to deal with loss of Garcon, Clark, Addai etc. and replace them with TY, Fleener etc., so year 3 is about right. We should be knocking on the SB doors in year 3.

I would argue that he was real close this year but for injuries. Six weeks in the Colts were probably the best team in the league. Dont think we are that far off. Maybe a year or two away.

But Peyton/Luck decision should be looked at after Luck has played at least a decade in the league. It was a long run type of move that can only be fairly evaluated after Luck is well into his career.

Simply sounds like you hang around immature people...you seem to have these posts a lot and I simply suggest hanging around better people. I can't imagine mature people trash talking about anything..much less football.