Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you choose Richardson over Brown?

Rob Lowe

Sorry JVan, what does that mean? That we take the cap hit even if we cut him? I'd still cut him as he would be taking up time and effort, and keeping a roster space that we could use for someone else....

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Not this off season anyway. If he is terrible next year then maybe

one is under contract, one isn't. Its not a choice, its reality

It's a question of whether we are going to give brow the contract he wants to come come back, and if not, then we're confident in what we have in t-rich. It's a simple premise. Chill out

It's a question of whether we are going to give brow the contract he wants to come come back, and if not, then we're confident in what we have in t-rich. It's a simple premise. Chill out

Who knows what brown is going to get on the open market. I'm sure he will be offered a contract, whether he takes it or not, who knows?

I like Brown, always have.  I think that in years previous, he was really set back by nagging injuries and lack of "opportunity".  By that, I mean the Colts never adequately committed to him being a workhorse.  Before this season, the great majority of forum posters deemed Brown as being a bust and were whining to simply get rid of him.  Interesting how tunes change with one good, largely unexpected season.

The Brown we saw this year is the Brown we were supposed to have all along.  A good north south runner that can pick his holes, explode through them, and provide a legitimate big play threat.  I was really happy to see his potential finally somewhat fulfilled for a full season of actually being effectively used.  Funny how "patience" finally paid off in Brown's 2013 performance.

Like one poster said, though, I don't see why this has to be and either or proposition.  If we learned anything this year (and years past), you really need to have depth at RB to protect against injuries.  If I were running things, I would make a fair offer in trying to retain Brown.  That being said, however, if this has to be an either or proposition, I would saddle up and go with Trent Richardson.

I don't think that Richardson was effectively used.  Pretty much every time he was in there in a running situation, I knew the ball was going to him and the defense clearly knew too, as most times he was instantly met IN the backfield.  (Much like the woe suffered by Brown years past.)  A lot of times I think Richardson did extremely well to fight for the 2 to 3 yards he managed to get. I have no doubt in my mind that Richardson still holds the promise of being a elite back.  I think he holds a lot more promise of being so than Donald Brown did heading into the 2013 season, when most here were saying he wouldn't even make the team.

I say go with Richardson, but I also say try to retain Brown.  With Richardson, Brown, Ballard, and even maybe Bradshaw, I think the Colts would pretty much be able to completely ignore worrying about any other RB bodies.  Score RB a position checked off as good to go moving forward.

My bigger concern about the Colts, as it has been for more than five years, is the offensive line.  Solidifying the OL is in my mind one of the top two priorities to be dealt with.  The other priority of course being to somehow, some way finally solve the puzzle that is an inconsistent if not porous defense.

There is no choosing one or the other, Grigson didn't spend a 1st round pick on a rb just to release him after 16 games (including playoffs)....He will be here 2 more years at least.

I agree but personally  I wouldn't. in fact I would choose a high school rb over Trent. As a colt fan I wish him the best for our colts but he may be the most God awful rb I've ever seen.

Gotta give TRich a chance, gave up to much to dump him now.Would like to see how he would do if u feed him the ball the whole game. With him and Brown coming in and out of the game its hard to tell how good he might have been. I`d like to see how many good runs he`d have if u gave him the ball 25-30 times a game.

As many have already said Richardson is going to be back, so the question really is do we also want Brown back.

If RB is a consideration in FA or as a draft pick before the 6th round, than I would just as soon bring back Brown ... He already knows the players and the system & his contract is not going to be that much.

If you were the GM that is... I wouldn't, but I have a feeling that's exactly what's going to happen

So are you asking if I was a GM and they were both available to draft? or the status now? or a figurative scenario?  I guess I'll answer all 3 :)

If I had *only* the college tape of the 2 and I was left with the choice to draft, I would take Richardson.  Based solely on the level of competition he faced compared to UConn.

If I'm looking at them now?  I would take Brown.  Everytime.  After watching both run in the NFL it is very apparent that Richardson does not have the mindset to play at the NFL level.  In Bama he had an outstanding oline and used his ability to overpower 170lb DB's.  He can learn, yes but will he?  He seems to be on his own pedestal and it is just more of a problem that he was drafted so high.  Brown has shown he can adapt to the NFL game.  He may have injury concerns, but he unlike Trent is not reliant on having a mauling oline to get yards. He hits the hole faster, uses his burst, makes quicker decisions, and uses patience when needed.  His mind is ready for NFL now.

Then again this is all depends on managements push on having a power running game.  If they continue the mantra of running the ball Brown is definitely the better choice of the two.  If they scrap that? then yea I "may" and trust me that is still a huge "MAY" consider keeping Trent due to his average blocking skills being better than Brown's below average blocking skills.  

In a figurative scenario?  Brown would have been my guy from the start on a team that built a damn good defense.  Brown showed he was a 20+ carry back at Uconn.  Brown would run a good 15 - 25 carries at about 3 ypc and then just break teams down and start hitting big ones for 15+ a run.  If he was utilized this way at the NFL level he would probably have been a star.  But of course Polian and another brilliant draft move.  Take a workhorse type back and put him on a predominantly passing team with no defense...  Trent on the other hand playing at Bama had holes wide open for him.  He, like Ingram, were products of outstanding O-Line coaching and recruitment.  

If you were the GM that is... I wouldn't, but I have a feeling that's exactly what's going to happen

I'm patient with Richardson but no I wouldn't take him over Brown. Not right now. If was comparing Brown a few years ago to Richardson now? Yes I probably would.

Resign Brown, he's not going to be expensive, we have 30 mill in cap. Unless of course, 1 of his main concerns is being the starter. At the beginning of the season he hardly touched the ball, it probably would've remained that way if Ballard and Bradshaw didn't get injured. He may not want to be a 3rd or 4th RB anymore.