Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'll Never Understand the Hatred

Gramz

I have been reading so much the past few days about certain fans  Hatred for Peyton, how they can't root for him because he's no longer a Colt.   How his success (should he win the SB)  will only be a negative reflection on the Colts, and how people will want to come here to Vent if he succeeds  etc... etc...

Many voiced their desire and hope that  he'd go One and Done this year.

Yet Some of these same people in the past have stated how they look forward to the day he  retires because they look forward to the day he comes home to Indy to retire, because they love him.   Say What....????     Which one of these things is true,  because they can't  both be.

Peyton has had a Great year.  

Peyton is one of the best ever to play the game.

Peyton is one of the classiest guys to ever step foot on the field.

This is ALL a reflection of HIM and who he is, and NOT a Negative reflection on anyone else.

He deserves Respect and Appreciation  ~  He does Not deserve Hatred.

He has always made me Proud.

Gramz is signing Off...

Some of you sometimes take your feelings for Manning too seriously and care too much about what others think of him. He is not a God. He is a football player who had done some great things in Indy but he is not going to be canonized someday. Life will go on whether he wins, loses or breaks a record.

Some of you sometimes take your feelings for Manning too seriously and care too much about what others think of him. He is not a God. He is a football player who had done some great things in Indy but he is not going to be canonized someday. Life will go on whether he wins, loses or breaks a record.

Maybe not, but he will be Cantonized one day. (do you see what i did there?)

Maybe not, but he will be Cantonized one day. (do you see what i did there?)

lol true but my point remains at times.....I feel some can take what others think/feel towards Manning waaaaaayyyyyyyyy too seriously and to the heart. I mean look, he's an all time great and all. I know this and we all do. There should be no real need for insecurity either.

But, if someone says for example, "I think Denver may blow the game. I have no trust in them." It does not mean that poster is seething with hate for Manning and is running around their house in fits of rage throwing darts at his picture. Sometimes people read posts wrong online too...it's hard to tell how one is feeling through just text.

Peyton Manning is one of, if not the greatest quarterback of all time. He is class personified. I dont see how anybody who loves the game in general cannot love what he has become for the sport and what he has done for it. He may no longer be a Colt so some may no longer root for him because of that reason, but I dont see how the Broncos winning this year reflects badly on the Colts in any way. I am a Colts fan, when we played Denver I wanted to win and wanted Mathis to sack Manning many times. But it ends there. I dont see rooting against Denver because of Manning, that makes no sense to me. I will root for Denver the next two games and dont see it reflecting anything on anyone besides the Broncos and Mannings great season.

If he wins in Denver it isn't a negative reflection on the Colts. He is playing the best that he has ever played and he has a ton of offensive weapons around him, roughly as good as he had with the Colts some years. He is an amazing player and I would love for him to win a Superbowl in Denver, I just think that the defense is going to let him down. Just like the Colts days...

The problem is people on two sides of the spectrum. It seems like people feel like they have to go to extremes and take extreme stances in order to be a Colts fan. Some people feel like others HAVE TO take an anti-Manning stance to show their fandom towards the Colts. Then there are others that make you wonder if they are just Peyton fans guised as Colts fans.

The ones jumping for joy in the midst are the Patriots fans who love that it is not happening to their franchise and that a guy they despise, Peyton, is in the cross fire. Then, there are some who go to the extent to root for the Patriots (never mind, how much they have dashed the Colts playoff hopes) just to combat their dislike of Peyton lovers. It is very childish and petty at times, at least to me it is.

To me, I feel like I am in the middle and hate this back and forth, that is played out unfairly to both Luck and Peyton, just my opinion. That is one reason I hope Peyton wins his SB ring and retires so that we don't have to go through another year of Broncos injury reports/articles, training camp reports in incessant fashion in the NFL General section.

Not to open a can of worms, but who here is rooting for Tom Brady to not win the superbowl?

You know what Brady is? He is the QB of an opponent. Do you know what Manning is? He is the QB of an opponent. It's all the same thing.

People need to stop making double standards. I'll never wish for the success of a rival team, regardless of who is on the field.

The problem is people on two sides of the spectrum. It seems like people feel like they have to go to extremes and take extreme stances in order to be a Colts fan. Some people feel like others HAVE TO take an anti-Manning stance to show their fandom towards the Colts. Then there are others that make you wonder if they are just Peyton fans guised as Colts fans.

The ones jumping for joy in the midst are the Patriots fans who love that it is not happening to their franchise and that a guy they despise, Peyton, is in the cross fire. Then, there are some who go to the extent to root for the Patriots (never mind, how much they have dashed the Colts playoff hopes) just to combat their dislike of Peyton lovers. It is very childish and petty at times, at least to me it is.

To me, I feel like I am in the middle and hate this back and forth, that is played out unfairly to both Luck and Peyton, just my opinion. That is one reason I hope Peyton wins his SB ring and retires so that we don't have to go through another year of Broncos injury reports/articles, training camp reports in incessant fashion in the NFL General section.

If Peyton won it all this year we will have 100 GOAT threads in this section and everyone will be full on gear so he can repeat. Just like Elway! If he retired though that's a different situation all together......

Sometimes what needs to be done too for the Peyton die hards is to show more enthusiasm for the Colts too, as much as they show for Peyton. This can work both ways here. Whether it is in this section or the Colts section. Pretend to get excited if we win a big game......anything. It can go a long ways in the end.

If Peyton won it all this year we will have 100 GOAT threads in this section and everyone will be full on gear so he can repeat. Just like Elway! If he retired though that's a different situation all together......

Sometimes what needs to be done too for the Peyton die hards is to show more enthusiasm for the Colts too, as much as they show for Peyton. This can work both ways here. Whether it is in this section or the Colts section. Pretend to get excited if we win a big game......anything. It can go a long ways in the end.

Totally agree!!! You know that bugs me. :)

I don't get the "hate" towards any player unless they play dirty football.  I "hate" certain teams because they get between us and our goal, but it's not really "hate" at all but grudging respect. 

I hate Rivers, seen that guy flip off a young grade school age girl...

He probably kicks puppies too...

I'm assuming you are jesting and this should be in green ink.

If not, I feel sorry for you. 

You're flat out wrong - I don't care what you "thought you saw" it is not in his character.  And all he said to the Colts fans was something along the lines of, "Don't worry, I'll be back." 

I heard this and it's 100% true:

People who hate profusely, are also jealous.

They are jealous of Peyton. Hell, I'd be jealous if I'm a Titans fan and I see their rival have a GOAT-like QB play for 13 years.

I must really be jealous of Hitler then because I hate that dude lol.

I highly doubt that a professional athlete would in public flip off a younger girl.

It would either be in the news or people would report it. 

I must really be jealous of Hitler then because I hate that dude lol.

Of course there are exceptions, but in general, this is surprisingly true. I was shocked when I heard it at first, but it's true for a lot of cases. 

Of course there are exceptions, but in general, this is surprisingly true. I was shocked when I heard it at first, but it's true for a lot of cases.

I think that's a very simplistic summation of a very complex human emotion. People hate other people for so many reasons it's impossible to bottle it all into having envy of the other person.

Not to open a can of worms, but who here is rooting for Tom Brady to not win the superbowl?

You know what Brady is? He is the QB of an opponent. Do you know what Manning is? He is the QB of an opponent. It's all the same thing.

People need to stop making double standards. I'll never wish for the success of a rival team, regardless of who is on the field.

Tom prevented us from lifting the Lombardi three times.

Peyton got us a Lombardi. Not one in the same.

Thank you SH!  I don't hate Peyton but I love my Colts!  Peyton is no longer a Colts but a former Colts, does that mean by former marriage I need to cheer for him and the Broncos?  He's my ex (qb) why can't I cheer for Tom, Colin (hey that's a drink from the past) or Russell.  As I stated in other post that Peyton did great things for the city of Indianapolis and the state of Indiana but I'm a Colts fan, my Colts are no longer in the SB run so I'm cheering for whoever I want! 

On the flip side of this do we cheer for the Pats because AV is a former Pats now with the Colts?  Coach Billy B was a former Colts coach.

C'mon people last I checked this was a COLTS fan club, the Colts are no longer in the SB, let's cheer for whoever we want!

I seriously doubt that any Colts fan actually hates Peyton.  That is just completely ridiculous.  Whether or not they continue to root for him in Denver has little to no bearing on one's ability to appreciate what he did for the Colts franchise in Indianapolis. 

Most reasonable Colts and NFL fans know that the Colts made the right decision going with Luck given the circumstances at the time.  Still there will be those in the media...ahem Bayless...who will quickly use Peyton winning a Super Bowl in Denver as a platform to blast the Colts franchise for the decision.  However, ridiculous that may be.  Some fans are just saying that they don't feel like hearing all of that. 

At the end of the day, Peyton is in Denver and it would be great for him if he won a Super Bowl.  I wish him well but am not going to live and die with whether or not he wins it all the same way as I would have if he was still wearing the Shoe.  I will still be rooting like crazy for him beat Brady and the Pats next week though.  Some things never change.  ;)

Tom prevented us from lifting the Lombardi three times.

Peyton got us a Lombardi. Not one in the same.

Correction. Team sport remember? We hear this 100 times a day.

Patriots prevented us from lifting the Lombardi three times.

Colts got us a Lombardi.

Correction. Team sport remember? We hear this 100 times a day.

Patriots prevented us from lifting the Lombardi three times.

Colts got us a Lombardi.

I was speaking in respects to the QB. You can say the same thing about any position. Deion Branch prevented us from a Super Bowl while Marvin got us one.

But hey I'm sure glad to see you so invested in the Colts again now that they are winning. Especially after being tired of watching the Colts in Peyton's last years and that's why you are a Rodgers fan. Also you were a Packers fan in 2011 weren't you? That wouldn't have anything to do with the Colts being a bad team would it?

I was speaking in respects to the QB. You can say the same thing about any position. Deion Branch prevented us from a Super Bowl while Marvin got us one.

But hey I'm sure glad to see you so invested in the Colts again now that they are winning. Especially after being tired of watching the Colts in Peyton's last years and that's why you are a Rodgers fan. Also you were a Packers fan in 2011 weren't you? That wouldn't have anything to do with the Colts being a bad team would it?

[sHOTS FIRED]

disgunbgood.jpg

I guess the Colts areee.....out of Luck (puts shades on and walks away).  Seriously though we just can't catch a break in the playoffs.  First we couldn't do anything in the playoffs with Manning and now we can't do anything in the playoffs with Luck.  It's like why did we purposefully throw away our season in 2011 to get Luck if our luck just runs dry in the post season so early all over again?

lol.......it's funny how the Pack thing all started as a joke with me and another female poster to bug the die hard Manning/Brady fans. And it worked. Somehow it spread to other Colts forums too for some odd reason, like I was getting stalked.

I love Packers fans and all and have a few who are friends. That's why I chilled with many of them and sometimes still do. I also did love Favre yes and I do love Rodgers. But, I don't even talk about them a lot......how often do you or anyone else here see me start threads on the Packers or go on and on about the legacy of Rodgers or anyone on that team? I like them yes.....but I never put them ahead of my own Colts. I pm with some here and never talk about Green Bay.

Besides, last year when we played the Pack I wanted to kill them.

I did not post on Colts forums in 2011 mostly because our fanbase lost their collective minds worrying about Manning/Luck and what was going to happen.

For some reason though, you throw this Rodgers thing in my face at times and it is a bit weird since I don't recall knowing you before last season on a forum.

I guess the Colts areee.....out of Luck (puts shades on and walks away). Seriously though we just can't catch a break in the playoffs. First we couldn't do anything in the playoffs with Manning and now we can't do anything in the playoffs with Luck. It's like why did we purposefully throw away our season in 2011 to get Luck if our luck just runs dry in the post season so early all over again?

1/10. Wouldn't read again.