Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Philip Rivers

chad72

Throughout this game, it felt like I was watching an overgrown baby.

Wearing your emotions on your sleeve in a controlled fashion is one thing as a grown man, but his antics always borders on pouting and cry-babish tendencies. Kicking his foot after a timeout, putting his batman cape over himself after a key 3rd down conversion are all things I do not see other elite QBs do, IMO.

It felt like he felt entitled that he has had a good record in Denver (6-2) in his lifetime prior to this game and could not handle disappointment. He always refers to that record and he was quick to point out how well his team had done well vs the Mannings after that TNF win too. Guess what, Philip, you are 1-4 vs Peyton with the Broncos. It almost feels like he had to endear himself to the fans dissing the Mannings for Eli dissing the Chargers but that does not endear him to those outside Charger nation.

Thoughts???

Wearing your emotions on your sleeve in a controlled fashion is one thing as a grown man, but his antics always borders on pouting and cry-babish tendencies. Kicking his foot after a timeout, putting his batman cape over himself after a key 3rd down conversion are all things I do not see other elite QBs do, IMO.

It felt like he felt entitled that he has had a good record in Denver (6-2) in his lifetime prior to this game and could not handle disappointment. He always refers to that record and he was quick to point out how well his team had done well vs the Mannings after that TNF win too. Guess what, Philip, you are 1-4 vs Peyton with the Broncos. It almost feels like he had to endear himself to the fans dissing the Mannings for Eli dissing the Chargers but that does not endear him to those outside Charger nation.

Thoughts???

Rivers is always that way and I like his emotion. But really the OCs inability to change the game plan until the fourth quarter is what cost them. They should have went to the spread in the second quarter ....

I have no idea where you pulled that entitled/Eli stuff from...sounds like a load of b.s. It's a very emotional game. Quarterbacks show emotion differently. Brady can get pretty emotional. Happened a lot this year. Seems like this has more to do with the Colts/Chargers rivalry. This board pretty much hates Rivers/Brees so I'm not surprised.

I have no idea where you pulled that entitled/Eli stuff from...sounds like a load of b.s. It's a very emotional game. Quarterbacks show emotion differently. Brady can get pretty emotional. Happened a lot this year. Seems like this has more to do with the Colts/Chargers rivalry. This board pretty much hates Rivers/Brees so I'm not surprised.

Brees?  The guy is my favorite QB after Luck and Manning.  Rivers demeanor doesn't really bother me, but I was happy to see him be in a slump for a few years after putting us out of the playoffs a couple of times.  And come on, even you have to admit that it's fun to make fun of Rivers when he throws his little temper tantrums.  He just flails around sometimes like Jim Harbaugh.  I get that it's an emotional game, but some people react emotionally much funnier than others, and Rivers is in that class of people.

Thoughts???

I couldn't disagree more. He is passionate and puts it all out there.....I have huge respect for him especially when he played on that torn ACL years back. Guy just wants to win...he is very animated sure...and I think since people can't hear what he is saying take it totally wrong....listening to his post-game press conference was extremely enlightening...gracious loser/winner and full of class. He is confident in his abilities (rightfully so) and his team. I've never once heard him say anything remotely negative about anyone much less the Mannings. If anything he reminds me of my brother...and people take him the wrong way too...often thinking he has a bad temper or complaining a lot but rather he often knows the rules very well or makes very good points but because of how animated he is sometimes gets taken wrong. Great qb and would love to have him leading my franchise if we didn't have what we have been so fortunate to have.

This isn't directed towards the OP...just me adding something...but its like we automatically dislike the guy that beats us or has had lots of success against us. Brady, Rivers, Brees I just don't get the dislike....I FULLY understand not rooting because they aren't our qbs but I have never thought you had to dislike your competition...I respect all those guys but of course always want to beat them. If there wasn't something to not like about a person because they've done very disrespectful things or hurt people or done things off the field and have a poor reputation I would at least understand...but very respectful guys like Rivers and Brady and Brees...just don't get it...why we even need to make it personal.

Rivers is always that way and I like his emotion. But really the OCs inability to change the game plan until the fourth quarter is what cost them. They should have went to the spread in the second quarter ....

I disagree...Denver never punted and SD showed no ability to stop them...nothing suggest they could have stopped Denver. The only time Denver was stopped they did it to themselves by fumbling and letting balls bounce off their chest. If it wasn't for the onside kick recovery there would have been no suspense at all. SD had a good game plan...throwing in that wind a lot was not going to be a recipe for success. Phillip was close to a few interceptions of his own and a couple of 3 and outs do to passing would have put them down even further/quicker. Listen to Rivers post game conference and see what he said about it. It was a good game plan but they didn't execute it right. They tried to throw but Denver was all over him early...sure you have to take chances but SD's winning formula all season was run first...that weren't going to win a shootout. I know it looked good late winging it around but doing that for 4 quaters was not going to be the answer.

I disagree...Denver never punted and SD showed no ability to stop them...nothing suggest they could have stopped Denver. The only time Denver was stopped they did it to themselves by fumbling and letting balls bounce off their chest. If it wasn't for the onside kick recovery there would have been no suspense at all. SD had a good game plan...throwing in that wind a lot was not going to be a recipe for success. Phillip was close to a few interceptions of his own and a couple of 3 and outs do to passing would have put them down even further/quicker. Listen to Rivers post game conference and see what he said about it. It was a good game plan but they didn't execute it right. They tried to throw but Denver was all over him early...sure you have to take chances but SD's winning formula all season was run first...that weren't going to win a shootout. I know it looked good late winging it around but doing that for 4 quaters was not going to be the answer.

I dunno. When you run and are getting 1 yard or less per rush you have to switch especially down two scores. When they went to the spread they were killing the Denver D. I think SD got caught up in what worked the first two games and Denver was ready for it and SD was unable to adjust until the fourth. Too late IMO.

I dunno. When you run and are getting 1 yard or less per rush you have to switch especially down two scores. When they went to the spread they were killing the Denver D. I think SD got caught up in what worked the first two games and Denver was ready for it and SD was unable to adjust until the fourth. Too late IMO.

SD ran for 3.67 yds per play....definately not like they did early in the season but Mathews tore off a 16 yd run and Woodhead had an 8 yd run...but they just weren't able to run consistantly. The big key was not converting on 3rd down...not the fact that they ran poorly. They dropped and missed some cruicial third down passes early in the game. Just looking at that wind I'm sure throwing the ball around all game was NOT going to be a winning formula...even for the Broncos. Both Peyton and Phillip got away with poor throws early that were right in the bread basket of the defenders because the balls got affected by that wind. Its easy to say they should have aired it out...but that is not what got SD to this point...and without that on-side recover it really wasn't that close of a game...I trust their qb to know what he was talking about when he said that the game plan was sound...they didn't execute...he even said you can't go 3 and out throwing against this team and then your down 31-7 instead of 14-0. SD wasn't in sync early and Denvers pass rush affected them early...they got a rythem after Harris went down but their was NOTHING to suggest they could throw well before that...nor they could stop Denver's offense. Hindsight 20/20 sure the outcome could have been different...but you ask me...if they try to open up the offense more and pass...that game would could have been just as easily 38-14 as opposed to getting it into OT.

I couldn't disagree more. He is passionate and puts it all out there.....I have huge respect for him especially when he played on that torn ACL years back. Guy just wants to win...he is very animated sure...and I think since people can't hear what he is saying take it totally wrong....listening to his post-game press conference was extremely enlightening...gracious loser/winner and full of class. He is confident in his abilities (rightfully so) and his team. I've never once heard him say anything remotely negative about anyone much less the Mannings. If anything he reminds me of my brother...and people take him the wrong way too...often thinking he has a bad temper or complaining a lot but rather he often knows the rules very well or makes very good points but because of how animated he is sometimes gets taken wrong. Great qb and would love to have him leading my franchise if we didn't have what we have been so fortunate to have.

This isn't directed towards the OP...just me adding something...but its like we automatically dislike the guy that beats us or has had lots of success against us. Brady, Rivers, Brees I just don't get the dislike....I FULLY understand not rooting because they aren't our qbs but I have never thought you had to dislike your competition...I respect all those guys but of course always want to beat them. If there wasn't something to not like about a person because they've done very disrespectful things or hurt people or done things off the field and have a poor reputation I would at least understand...but very respectful guys like Rivers and Brady and Brees...just don't get it...why we even need to make it personal.

You got this dead on.  There isn't a whiney, crybaby bone in Rivers' body - that's totally off base.  I understand people have their opinions, but these types of opinions have nothing to do with facts.  He is very animated, passionate, and is a great leader on and off the field.  He has his team mates, coaches and fans respect and approval.  He has never had anything but 100% support in his locker room even when he "slumped." 

You know why?  His "slump" was directly attributable to very poor line play in an offense that required exceptional amounts of time for a seven step drop and receivers going long - pure and simple.  Search the internet for him pointing a finger at his coach or linemen and you will never find it.  He let the world think the problems were his when he was the #2 sacked QB in the entire NFL behind Rodgers. 

He'll always have my respect and affection and I'm incredibly glad we have him.

Ryan Mathews has been playing on a high ankle sprain for a few weeks.  We fans and the press didn't know it, but it was worse than we hoped.  He gave it all he had to go on Sunday but couldn't perform after the first couple runs.  Ronnie Brown isn't RM and Danny Woodhead is a change of pace back, he'll never grind out the long hard yards that RM does.  Without that effective grinding, the offensive strategy doesn't work.

They gave the game plan a thorough shot, which is necessary with a running game, but by at least the middle of the 2nd qtr. they should have changed to adjust to the facts on the ground and didn't.  That's on the coaches. 

Rivers had 2 interceptions in the last 6 games, so I would have liked them to have gone to the pass more quickly.  We'll never know what might have happened.  Keenan Allen had something like 148 yards in one HALF.  Part of that was due to the Broncos losing Chris Harris. 

The biggest reason however we didn't go any deeper in the playoffs has to do with our depth.  I've said all along that the reason we were inconsistent during this season was that the fall off between our #1s and #2s was way too steep.  If we could have stayed as healthy as we managed in the 2nd half of the season all the way through the playoffs it could have been interesting.  But that's not playoff football.  There are always injuries and the deepest and most talented team has the best shot of winning it all. 

I agree with your assessment.  Our best D wasn't doing the job and then we started losing guys rapidly - young guys were trying too hard and literally destroying our own players with "friendly fire."  We had 3 players go out with concussions, all from team mates.  Our D was improving through the last quarter of the season but it was paper thin.  We're at least another draft away from solidifying it. 

This game wasn't as close as it started to feel at the end and as exciting as it would have been for us as fans, had we won, the Patriots would have had a cake walk to the Super Bowl walking right over our broken bodies.

Thoughts???

I like him.....I dont think he's mean-spirited..he's just full of juice\\..and he completed 69.5% of his passes

Denver just has a better team right now....

....we're up here near Bear country and I'd take Rivers over Jay Cutler for the Bears in a minute..

I have to disagree here.

Rivers is a fiery competitor who always expects the best of himself and his teammates, and if he has to get rowdy to raise their morals, then that's 100% fine.

After the game, he reminded me one he's one of the best speakers in the game, and showed a lot of class after. He said "we were outplayed" and had nothing but nice things for the Broncos.

I really didn't like him a few years ago, but I'm really starting to appreciate and like this guy because of his dedication to the game and his competiveness. That team is going places with him at QB.

I like him.....I dont think he's mean-spirited..he's just full of juice\\..and he completed 69.5% of his passes

Denver just has a better team right now....

....we're up here near Bear country and I'd take Rivers over Jay Cutler for the Bears in a minute..

What's funny is that Rivers got his "reputation" because of Jay Cutler.  It was Jay's immature actions that people actually attributed to PR and again, Rivers didn't bother pointing fingers.  Even at an opposing player. Time has shown the truth of that situation. 

What is Denver's FA and contract situation next year?  We're in a better place.  This year was brutal for us thanks to the "visa" bill coming due for the Christmas AJ Smith charged to the card to try and save his hide.

LOL my parents like Rivers. It's kinda funny. They think he is real and not fake.

If SD has showed up earlier in the Broncos game (you know like the first half?) they might have won it. It got too predictable to me too with the ground and pound commitment. There is wanting to establish the run but when you have one of the best QBs in the game against what I think is a weak passing defense you have to throw the rock more at times......not just when you are behind.

Ryan Mathews has been playing on a high ankle sprain for a few weeks.  We fans and the press didn't know it, but it was worse than we hoped.  He gave it all he had to go on Sunday but couldn't perform after the first couple runs.  Ronnie Brown isn't RM and Danny Woodhead is a change of pace back, he'll never grind out the long hard yards that RM does.  Without that effective grinding, the offensive strategy doesn't work.

They gave the game plan a thorough shot, which is necessary with a running game, but by at least the middle of the 2nd qtr. they should have changed to adjust to the facts on the ground and didn't.  That's on the coaches. 

Rivers had 2 interceptions in the last 6 games, so I would have liked them to have gone to the pass more quickly.  We'll never know what might have happened.  Keenan Allen had something like 148 yards in one HALF.  Part of that was due to the Broncos losing Chris Harris. 

The biggest reason however we didn't go any deeper in the playoffs has to do with our depth.  I've said all along that the reason we were inconsistent during this season was that the fall off between our #1s and #2s was way too steep.  If we could have stayed as healthy as we managed in the 2nd half of the season all the way through the playoffs it could have been interesting.  But that's not playoff football.  There are always injuries and the deepest and most talented team has the best shot of winning it all. 

Sorry your season ended but what a ride you got the last six weeks. Congrats.

I think they should have went to the pass to start the second quarter. It was obvious that Denver had keyed on stopping the run and like you said Matthews was hurt and Woodhead just doesn't have the size to pound the ball all game. A shame as Rivers was really stroking it in the fourth when they went to the spread. Still though held Denver to their lowest point total again this season. You guys know how to keep that O in check. I hope the Pats can do the same on Sunday. A tall order for sure.

Sorry your season ended but what a ride you got the last six weeks. Congrats.

I think they should have went to the pass to start the second quarter. It was obvious that Denver had keyed on stopping the run and like you said Matthews was hurt and Woodhead just doesn't have the size to pound the ball all game. A shame as Rivers was really stroking it in the fourth when they went to the spread. Still though held Denver to their lowest point total again this season. You guys know how to keep that O in check. I hope the Pats can do the same on Sunday. A tall order for sure.

I'm guessing Belicheck is running our tape backwards and forwards looking for clues, LOL! 

Rivers did say in interviews yesterday that it wasn't a great day to pass, even though we almost pulled it off.  He had no criticism of the game plan.  In reality, the O-Line play is what killed us.  Having Clary out at RT and DJ Fluker a little less mobile than normal with his ankle and they just swarmed over that side.  It settled down in the second half and that's a lot of why the passing game then took off. 

Oh well... we will be back and perhaps deep enough to give some teams fits next year.  Like the Patriots, we're quite young.

What's funny is that Rivers got his "reputation" because of Jay Cutler.  It was Jay's immature actions that people actually attributed to PR and again, Rivers didn't bother pointing fingers.  Even at an opposing player. Time has shown the truth of that situation. 

What is Denver's FA and contract situation next year?  We're in a better place.  This year was brutal for us thanks to the "visa" bill coming due for the Christmas AJ Smith charged to the card to try and save his hide.

Rivers reminds me of Brett Farve a lot ..execpt that he doenst take the gunslinger chances anymore.

I cant tell you how unlikely I thought that he would ever lead the league in completion percentage..

Denver's problems are that they are going to have to re-sign Von Miller,  Decker and both Thomas brothers, I believe,  in the next 2 years.

..one may have to go....unless Von can get some endorsement money off legal weed.. (that was uncalled for)

the Broncos have longterm money committed to OG Vasquez, OT Clady and Manning obviously......it has to be Champ Bailey's last year..he's big bucks

They are all-in for now.

Rivers reminds me of Brett Farve a lot ..execpt that he doenst take the gunslinger chances anymore.

I cant tell you how unlikely I thought that he would ever lead the league in completion percentage..

Denver's problems are that they are going to have to re-sign Von Miller,  Decker and both Thomas brothers, I believe,  in the next 2 years.

..one may have to go....unless Von can get some endorsement money off legal weed.. (that was uncalled for)

the Broncos have longterm money committed to OG Vasquez, OT Clady and Manning obviously......it has to be Champ Bailey's last year..he's big bucks

They are all-in for now.

I think Decker and Bailey are gone. Too much money and Caldwell is stepping up and while he won't be as explosive as ED...he will certainly be enough when you have Thomas bros and Welker as well. They will franchise Von if it ever comes to that...keep him as long as they can as cheap as they can because another bad test and he is useless to them. They likely will just let him play out his contract...franchise him as an OL which isn't as expensive as other positions and then face the music then.

They are all-in for now.

When our downfield threats are back, I expect his percentage to fall a bit.  Malcolm Floyd and Danarius Alexander can fly and it's worth the higher risk for the consistent big plays they present.  (Man do I miss Vincent Jackson and I bet VJ misses Rivers too!)

I remember reading a bit about what Denver has coming up and their window could be closing.  No matter what, without Peyton they're in trouble long range.  I haven't heard anything about Osweiller's development.  

I thought Osweiler looked good in the 2nd half against the Raiders in week 17

but that WAS the Raiders..

Osweiler probably isn't ready to lead anybody to the playoffs ..

....The Chargers need to stick with what they did against Denver....,,shorten the game and pound away at the Broncos undersized front...

KC keeps trying to single cover everybody with 5 backs..using Eric Berry as a LB...and Denver eats that up

As a Patriots fan I sort of like Rivers and I think many Patriots fans do too.  He's not as polarizing to us.  Plus he plays for the Chargers who aren't a disliked or hated rival for the Pats.  Pats fans tend to cheer for the Chargers if they play Peyton's teams.  The Chargers under Rivers knocked the Colts out of the playoffs a few times so that was something we liked so the Pats didn't have to face the Colts.

Chargers never knocked the Patriots out of the playoffs so that's another reason why there isn't much animosity between the two teams.

Rivers is a good QB.  That said, he's hilarious to watch, the facial expressions, the waving of arms, the stomping; good comedy.  I do use him as an example of bad sportsmanship when I point these things out to my son while games are on. 

Rivers would have had a better career on another team.   At this point, he has to hope for a ticket out of SD.   If he went to Arizona or even Houston, they'd probably be Super Bowl bound in very little time. 

Brees?  The guy is my favorite QB after Luck and Manning.  Rivers demeanor doesn't really bother me, but I was happy to see him be in a slump for a few years after putting us out of the playoffs a couple of times.  And come on, even you have to admit that it's fun to make fun of Rivers when he throws his little temper tantrums.  He just flails around sometimes like Jim Harbaugh.  I get that it's an emotional game, but some people react emotionally much funnier than others, and Rivers is in that class of people.

Every qb has some reactions that aren't exactly flattering. The cameras are on them a lot. I like Rivers, think he's a tough guy and a good qb.

Yeah, goofy faces are his specialty.  He isn't remotely whiney though it might look like it.  He's demanding of the players around him in a good way, they love him.  He's never obnoxious or foul-tempered in those situations.  He does fight for calls.  You rarely get anything on that specific call, but it's interesting when he fights about his receivers being held etc., how often the calls come later.  It has its place in the game.  

He's taken flak for kicking the ball away (KC game) or throwing the ball down after the whistle - it can look like a temper tantrum but it isn't.  It's completely calculated.  He had a lineman injured a couple years ago because he held onto the ball in that situation and the defensive player kept coming.  Ever since, the second the whistle blows, he gets rid of the ball to a neutral area.

He received "Come Back Player of the Year" this week.  I'm glad he got recognized but it's really his OL that deserved the honor.  Frankly - his skills have never varied, he just was getting no protection from them.  He was constantly being hammered.  He was sacked 49 times in 2012 and hurried more frequently than ever.  His line was porous so he started hearing footsteps even if they weren't there.  He has never said a single word about that and deflects those questions every time. This year it was 30 sacks (40% less) and I can't find the hurry numbers, but much MUCH less frequent.  

Their Offense changed because Harris went out.   That was why Chargers scored.