Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Congratulations Peyton Sportsman of the Year (merge)

Gramz

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw that at halftime. Nice award & Peyton is probably deserving but I would have liked to see Mariano Rivera win it after the totally dominating career he's had.

I don't remember how they normally do it, but I imagine that it's a "what have you done this year" award, not a lifetime achievement award. With Peyton, of course, you can have both.

I think it's pretty hard to give an award like that to a relief pitcher even in his best year. They could strike out every batter they face the entire season and still not even be the most important player on their own team, much less the league, much less the sporting world.

Peyton is clearly deserving of the award. Anyone doubting that he's going to get the MVP at this point? :applause:

AMF - this is for you. Focus the bold.

"It's always been a cerebral position, but Peyton made it more cerebral," says former Broncos quarterback and current executive vice president John Elway. "He was the first one to get in the hurry-up, figure out the coverage at the line, find the right play against the coverage and call everything himself. He really started the no-huddle. Now everybody does it." From Pop Warner on, quarterbacks are asked to think faster because Manning showed what was possible. "He set the standard," says the Patriots' Tom Brady. 

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sportsman/news/20131215/peyton-manning-sportsman-2013/#ixzz2nbov0udv

main article at top from SI on top has 5 pages of story with videos and rare pictures etc

Denver Broncos' Peyton Manning named SI's Sportsman of the Year

si_peyton.0_portrait_273.0.jpg

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sportsman/news/20131215/peyton-manning-sportsman-2013/#ixzz2ndDdyaz1

131215_si_inside.jpg
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In the midst of a season that could earn him his fifth NFL MVP Award, quarterbackPeyton Manning has been named Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King announced Manning as the recipient of the annual honor at halftime of the Sunday Night Football game on NBC.

He joins the likes of Dean Smith, Muhammad Ali and Michael Jordan with that distinction.

Sports Illustrated Managing Editor Chris Stone talked with DenverBroncos.com in an exclusive interview about the publication's decision to honor the Broncos quarterback.

"To some degree, we're taking a measure of Peyton's entire career, dating back all the way to college," Stone said. "He's had three stops since college -- Knoxville, Indianapolis and Denver. What really strikes you beyond that consistently excellent performance is the way he's connected with all three of those communities in a really profound way."

"Obviously he's having an historical season -- that's obvious to anyone out there, even the casual sports fan," Stone continued. "He's only been (in Denver) for two years, but the imprint he's left not only on the team but the community is undeniable."

One recent moment in Manning's career stood out to the publication -- the quarterback's actions following the Broncos' double-overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens last season.

Manning stayed long after the playoff defeat, which ended the Broncos' season, to congratulate Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis on the win. Lewis had announced that the playoff run -- which ultimately ended in his second Super Bowl ring -- would be he last.

"You don't want to make too much of a single gesture, but that was a huge gesture. It was a sincere gesture, obviously something that wasn't planned. 

"I love this award," King wrote. "Since I began subscribing (age 12, 1969, "Namath Weeps"), I always looked forward to the annual Sportsman issue, because it advanced the ideals of sport. A great athlete or coach could be a good person too. Some better than others at the athletics, or at the person part, or both. But there had to be something inherently good about the winner, and I liked that. So over the years, if the managing editor at the time asked me for a nomination from pro football, I would give it thought and advance only the causes of those I thought were worthy."

As for why he believed Manning fit the traits necessary to earn the award, King explained as follows:

"He's 37, he's had his mid-football-life crisis and survived it well; he has a charitable side that stretches into the four states he has called home at various stages of his life (Louisiana, Tennessee, Indiana, Colorado); and, despite his arm being maybe 85 percent of what it once was, he just might have the best year he has ever had," he wrote. "Manning has persevered. He has put another franchise on his shoulders, and he's winning, and he's still the best at what he does at a time when whole and healthier and rich athletes are getting on with their lives. He thinks he owes everything he's got as a professional to helping the Broncos win. It's idealistic, it's old-fashioned, it's admirable. And that package gets my 2013 Sportsman vote."

ALSO has Videos comback effort & another of his first 45 TD's

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Named-Sportsman-of-the-Year/4e1646c0-bc4e-4f92-9bc3-69493846f9bc

Annually, the magazine presents the Sportsman of the Year award to the athlete, coach or team that demonstrates superior athletic achievement. The award debuted in 1954 with Roger Bannister, who broke the 4-minute mile barrier. Manningis the eighth member of the NFL to receive the award, following commissioner Pete Rozelle (1963), Terry Bradshaw (1979), Reggie Williams, (Athletes Who Care, 1987), Joe Montana (1990), Tom Brady (2005), Brett Favre (2007), and Drew Brees (2010).

The Sportsman of the Year has previously gone to the likes of Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Michael Phelps, the 1999 U.S. women’s soccer team and 1980 U.S. Olympic men’s hockey team to name a few.

Manning will receive the honor at a dinner in Denver on Monday night. 

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/12/15/peyton-manning-named-sports-illustrateds-sportsman-of-the-year/24088/

the slate of awards that are sure to follow Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning's historic 2013 season has begun, as Manning has been named Sports Illustrated's 2013 Sportsman of the Year.

so far

In 2013, Manning has led the Broncos to league highs in total offense (453.4 ypg), passing (333.6 ypg), receiving (344.4 ypg) and points scored (535). Manning's 47 touchdown passes during the Broncos' 11-3 start puts him four TDs away from breaking Tom Brady'srecord for most touchdowns thrown in a season.

Read the Sports Illustrated story here --- another link for  and excerpt from top article 

(it's excellent; SI Senior Writer Lee Jenkins interviewed over 30 people for the story).

A comment from SI's Peter King --

"At first, when I knew we were considering Manning, I thought: good choice. Lifetime-achievement-award choice," says SI Senior Writer and NFL guru Peter King. "But if you isolate this year, you're looking at a player two years removed from four neck procedures that would have prompted many 35-year-old legends to choose retirement. He has hisSuper Bowl. He has his MVPs. Now he's on the verge of breaking the most important single-season quarterback records (touchdown passes and passing yards) in the 94-year history of the game. He threw seven touchdown passes against the defending Super Bowl champs. And he's got his team set to win the top seed in the AFC. Who plays his best-wounded, with so many great young guns chasing him-at 37?"

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/12/15/5214862/peyton-manning-named-si-sportsman-of-the-year

Edited by Superman
formatting

"It's always been a cerebral position, but Peyton made it more cerebral," says former Broncos quarterback and current executive vice president John Elway. "He was the first one to get in the hurry-up, figure out the coverage at the line, find the right play against the coverage and call everything himself. He really started the no-huddle. Now everybody does it." From Pop Warner on, quarterbacks are asked to think faster because Manning showed what was possible. "He set the standard," says the Patriots' Tom Brady. 

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sportsman/news/20131215/peyton-manning-sportsman-2013/#ixzz2nbov0udv

Besides that line u note 

another favorite Line by Peter King 

Who plays his best-wounded, with so many great young guns chasing him-at 37?"

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/12/15/5214862/peyton-manning-named-si-sportsman-of-the-year

I am running in the snow shortly for meeting with a vehicle dont like, but saw this and had to comment, Peyton Deservres my time even if I am bit late, he has given me to much happiness and is still , and memories to last a lifetime

I don't remember how they normally do it, but I imagine that it's a "what have you done this year" award, not a lifetime achievement award. With Peyton, of course, you can have both.

I think it's pretty hard to give an award like that to a relief pitcher even in his best year. They could strike out every batter they face the entire season and still not even be the most important player on their own team, much less the league, much less the sporting world.

Peyton is clearly deserving of the award. Anyone doubting that he's going to get the MVP at this point? :applause:

at bottom has chart of all winners in past if interested, started ion 1954

I think the guy from SI  recognizes that Peyton returned from a career-ending injury and even though his physical gifts

were diminished........he took his game to all-time highs not just for him but for anyone...after getting laid off.....

......No one else in team sport has ever done that at his age.

Most great old players...like Michael Jordan with the Wizards...Joe Montana with the Chiefs..Booby Orr with the BlackHawks

..... people rooted for them in honor of what they have done..hoping fro flashes of the past/

Peyton is a aging, fallen (and fired) hero who rose up to to the top and turned back time after many gave up on him.

. I don't know how people can help but identify with that.

I think the guy from SI  recognizes that Peyton returned from a career-ending injury and even though his physical gifts

were diminished........he took his game to all-time highs not just for him but for anyone...after getting laid off.....

Most great old players...like Michael Jordan with the Wizards...Joe Montana with the Chiefs..Booby Orr with the BlackHawks

..... people rooted for them in honor of what they have done..hoping fro flashes of the past/

Peyton is a aging, fallen (and fired) hero who rose up to to the top and turned back time after many gave up on him.

So very true.   For the Record,  I NEVER gave up on him,  but I think you knew that  ;)

Most great old players...like Michael Jordan with the Wizards...Joe Montana with the Chiefs..Bobby Orr with the BlackHawks

..... people rooted for them in honor of what they have done..hoping for flashes of the past/

Peyton is a aging, fallen (and fired) hero who rose up to again the top and turned back time after many gave up on him.

I certainly identify with it, Gramz..and I cant even spell half the time   :shifty:  

Manning is a standout being rare in today's "me,me,me" sports world. No verbal battles between him and another QB, no locker room junk, no off the field pranks, no woman slander stuff, just a guy super dedicated to being the best he can be. Aaron Rogers and other QB's like to clown on Carolina do end zone celebrations I have yet to see Manning ever do one. He has served not only football but all sports in terms of how to conduct oneself on and off the field. He deserves it all including a SB ring this season.

I think the guy from SI recognizes that Peyton returned from a career-ending injury and even though his physical gifts

Peyton is a aging, fallen (and fired) hero who rose up to to the top and turned back time after many gave up on him.

The weird thing is Peyton almost gave up himself, and it seemed he was at peace with not playing. Thank God for Ashley!

The weird thing is Peyton almost gave up himself, and it seemed he was at peace with not playing. Thank God for Ashley!

out of likes (another thing that rarely happens with me) but I love this statement and have said the same thing, Many times.

Thank God Ashley said to him "You have to at least try"

Yep I agree. Manning set the standard and Brady surpassed it.

It will be a real "reach" if anyone is surprised by your statement.....

haha am you are too much.

I dunno Gramz. What is he getting for exactly? Throwing 50 TDs? But I am not sure there were strong candidates anyways. Manning could be it any year but I really think Rivera was more deserving for his entire career which was second to none.

I dunno Gramz. What is he getting for exactly? Throwing 50 TDs? But I am not sure there were strong candidates anyways. Manning could be it any year but I really think Rivera was more deserving for his entire career which was second to none.

Did you even read the article..?

Should have been Ray Lewis for leading his team to a second Super Bowl. Peyton should be 2014 if he wins it all.

If you read the article I believe the award goes to  someone who  handles them self both  ON and OFF the field.   In my opinion that would disqualify  Ray Lewis.

out of likes (another thing that rarely happens with me) but I love this statement and have said the same thing, Many times.

Thank God Ashley said to him "You have to at least try"

New her & Olivia pushed the ESPN Book of Manning, didnt know she advised him to make comeback, but even if didnt  she had his back and knowing that is a great help to fight on

I did and I did not say Manning was a bad choice but I think Rivera is more deserving THIS year. He is a one of a kind athlete and person as well.

You said, and I quote  " This is a real reach IMO"     so real reach does not compute to bad or wrong choice..???  

I bet you're great at braiding hair, with all the twists and turns it takes to do it perfectly.

You said, and I quote  " This is a real reach IMO"     so real reach does not compute to bad or wrong choice..???  

I bet you're great at braiding hair, with all the twists and turns it takes to do it perfectly.

I think it is a reach. Like I said Peyton can win it any year, we all know what a great person he is and so on but Rivera had a career for the ages in baseball. And believe me, I dislike any Yankee player more than any other sports athlete but honor is due where honor is due. Yanks don't win squat in terms of the rings without him. And his longevity and excellence are unmatched.

I think it is a reach. Like I said Peyton can win it any year, we all know what a great person he is and so on but Rivera had a career for the ages in baseball. And believe me, I dislike any Yankee player more than any other sports athlete but honor is due where honor is due. Yanks don't win squat in terms of the rings without him. And his longevity and excellence are unmatched.

and, Peyton's are...??   You do understand,  Peyton has defied all the odds.....  it is unprecedented for him to be having the year and he's having, at his age,  let alone   AFTER 4 neck surgeries, and on a team/organization that he did not play his ENTIRE career with.  You DO get that,  don't you...??     Evidentally not.

and, Peyton's are...??   You do understand,  Peyton has defied all the odds.....  it is unprecedented for him to be having the year and he's having, at his age,  let alone   AFTER 4 neck surgeries.   You DO get that,  don't you...??     Evidentally not.

You don't know Rivera well, do you? Rivera came back this season from ACL surgery and won comeback player of the year at age 44 and was the All Star game MVP  becoming the first MLB player to be named the MVP of a World Series, League Championship Series, and All-Star Game. In addition, during this season, Rivera spent time during visits to every ballpark meeting privately with fans and unsung team employees to hear their stories and thank them for supporting baseball.He explained: "It was important for me to meet the people who make baseball what it is, the people who work in the game every day. They have given me far more than I have given them."

The guy is class and excellence personified and this was his final season and he still showed he had his stuff in his 19th season in the majors. The award should have been his this year.

You don't know Rivera well, do you? Rivera came back this season from ACL surgery and won comeback player of the year at age 44 and was the All Star game MVP  becoming the first MLB player to be named the MVP of a World Series, League Championship Series, and All-Star Game. In addition, during this season, Rivera spent time during visits to every ballpark meeting privately with fans and unsung team employees to hear their stories and thank them for supporting baseball.He explained: "It was important for me to meet the people who make baseball what it is, the people who work in the game every day. They have given me far more than I have given them."

The guy is class and excellence personified and this was his final season and he still showed he had his stuff in his 19th season in the majors. The award should have been his this year.

you got me again.....  I don't know Rivera at all.    Sounds very admirable, I agree.

I will let you have the last word, because you will see to it that you do anyway, and quite frankly,  I am done with this particular discussion.

My guy Won,  it was well deserved, and I don't care who thinks otherwise.

ta ta  :hello:

you got me again.....  I don't Rivera at all.    Sounds very admirable, I agree.

I will let you have the last word, because you will see to it that you do anyway, and quite frankly,  I am done with this particular discussion.

My guy Won,  it was well deserved, and I don't care who thinks otherwise.

ta ta  :hello:

Who won last year? I don't remember? I would have thought Peyton was more deserving last year because that was his comeback year and he led the Broncos to the top seed in the AFC and would have won the MVP if not for APs miraculous season.

Like I said, it is not a travesty. Manning is always deserving of such accolades. I just think Rivera was the more obvious choice this year.

You know Mo's respected and liked when a Red Sox fan (I'm assuming you are) is reaching out for him. 

Posted Today, 11:36 AM

Shane Bond, on 15 Dec 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:snapback.png

"It's always been a cerebral position, but Peyton made it more cerebral," says former Broncos quarterback and current executive vice president John Elway. "He was the first one to get in the hurry-up, figure out the coverage at the line, find the right play against the coverage and call everything himself. He really started the no-huddle. Now everybody does it." From Pop Warner on, quarterbacks are asked to think faster because Manning showed what was possible. "He set the standard," says the Patriots' Tom Brady. 

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2nbov0udv

Yep I agree. Manning set the standard and Brady surpassed it.

just once let things be, what would of happened if Manning never   showed what could be done, Maybe Brady never would of achieved his status, I am not saying that, just a comeback to what u said , Besides your Brady also won this ward before 

SEE BELOW FOR WHY WON ?  & Why Nominated in first place

I am never surprised by anything am post. :headspin: I'm not sure am realizes what this award is for however if she read the article she should.  :scratch:

Did you even read the article..?

Peter King on why nominated then why won

Peter King Nominated 

He then announced his nomination for the award -- Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.

He's 37, he's had his mid-football-life crisis and survived it well; he has a charitable side that stretches into the four states he has called home at various stages of his lif
e (Louisiana, Tennessee, Indiana, Colorado); and, despite his arm being maybe 85 percent of what it once was, he just might have the best year he has ever had.

Manning has persevered. He has put another franchise on his shoulders, and he's winning, and he's still the best at what he does at a time when whole and healthier and rich athletes are getting on with their lives. He thinks he owes everything he's got as a professional to helping the Broncos win. It's idealistic, it's old-fashioned, it's admirable. And that package gets my 2013 Sportsman vote.

THE AWARD .... it advanced the ideals of sport. A great athlete or coach could be a good person too. Some better than others at the athletics, or at the person part, or both.

But there had to be something inherently good about the winner, and I liked that. So over the years, if the managing editor at the time asked me for a nomination from pro football, I would give it thought and advance only the causes of those I thought were worthy."
 http://http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sportsman/news/20131126/peyton-manning-my-sportsman/?eref=sihp 

Who plays his best-wounded, with so many great young guns chasing him-at 37?"

Sports Illustrated Managing Editor Chris Stone talked with DenverBroncos.com in an exclusive interview about the publication's decision to honor the Broncos quarterback.

"To some degree, we're taking a measure of Peyton's entire career, dating back all the way to college," Stone said. "He's had three stops since college -- Knoxville, Indianapolis and Denver. What really strikes you beyond that consistently excellent performance is the way he's connected with all three of those communities in a really profound way."

"Obviously he's having an historical season -- that's obvious to anyone out there, even the casual sports fan," Stone continued. "He's only been (in Denver) for two years, but the imprint he's left not only on the team but the community is undeniable."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Named-Sportsman-of-the-Year/4e1646c0-bc4e-4f92-9bc3-69493846f9bc

FROM MAIN ARTICLE some snipets, but read it all its a worthy testament as I am sure Brady;'s was when won, but u wont see me knocking Brady  , Brees, or Farve  for winning it first

For two decades Peyton Manning has methodically elevated the standards of everybody from NFL quarterbacks to video-room interns to offspring named in his honor -- one film session, one spiral notebook, one dummy audible at a time.

Throughout his career Manning has written coaches and players who retire, as well as widows of coaches and players who pass away. He writes subjects of documentaries he's seen and victims of tragedies he's heard about.

(( & he just replied to an unknown person wedding invitation to the couples surprise , if u hadnt read that ))

When Manning started the foundation, in 1999, he was advised to address one specific area of need. "But I like to say yes more than I say no," he explains. Peyback has awarded $5.5 million in grants to nonprofit organizations benefiting underprivileged children in Louisiana, Tennessee, Indiana and, now, Colorado. Most of the donations are relatively modest, around $10,000, but they are earmarked for roughly 90 organizations per year. Some want to buy school uniforms. Some want to launch afternoon programs. Some want to build gardens and grow vegetables. Online applications are due Feb. 1 and are graded by a board. Manning and his wife pick the winners.

at Sports Authority Field after the Broncos' 38-35 playoff loss to the Ravens in double overtime. Manning, coping with another round of January heartbreak, waited to congratulate retiring linebacker Ray Lewis. He held little Marshall's hand, setting the example that his dad set for him.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/sportsman/news/20131215/peyton-manning-sportsman-2013/#ixzz2nfEzXIa8

This isn't a lifetime achievement award.  He shouldn't win it for retiring.

This isn't a lifetime achievement award.  He shouldn't win it for retiring.

No but he had a pretty fine 2013 campaign after coming back from ACL surgery at age 44 on a crappy Yanks team. Like I said, I would have given it to Manning last year but just saw Lebron won it. Big surprise. 

Who won last year? I don't remember? I would have thought Peyton was more deserving last year because that was his comeback year and he led the Broncos to the top seed in the AFC and would have won the MVP if not for APs miraculous season.

Like I said, it is not a travesty. Manning is always deserving of such accolades. I just think Rivera was the more obvious choice this year.

at bottom has chart of all winners in past if interested, started in 1954

YOUR ANSWER IS IN THAT LINK since award started in 54  

but last year was LeBron James, Pro Basketball

thats al from me, now getting off this topic , will read new responces when can

PS my friend please note i did not respond to topic below

, though if was Peyton u / others would be all over it & thats why topic was started,

Both deserve respect & I hate to say this u / others like Vir  have driven only a wedge into that respect unto many a person & thus are actually somewhat responsible for the thread below

Tom Brady has thrown 3 redzone INTs while leading potential game tying or game-winning drives this season

Riviera is great no doubt, this was just Peytons turn by the SI GODS 

I did and I did not say Manning was a bad choice but I think Rivera is more deserving THIS year. He is a one of a kind athlete and person as well.

You know you just don't get it do you :???:   You make no sense at all in your logic.  (Comparing an  ACL Surgery to 4 Neck Surgery's) :sigh:    If it doesn't fit your agenda it's not the right choice.  :blah:      Oh well I think it was the correct choice and evidently Sports Illustrated thought so as well.  :thmup:       This is my last reply to your nonsense. :bored: