Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Congratulations Peyton Sportsman of the Year (merge)

Gramz

I like your last video link on there Barry when the SI guy talks about Peyton remaining afterward to shake Ray Lewis's hand & give him props for the Ravens victory. That is the very definition of class & good sportsmanship. Kudos Peyton Kudos! :worthy: I respect that kind gesture immensely. If I were in his shoes, I hope I could be that strong, noble, & dignified.  

no more likes

He's always been a class act, on and off the field.

I know some think I need therapy at times...   haha   :lol:   but I can't sing his praises enough.   

It will be a sad day for me when he is no longer playing.   

I am with u 

So leaving a team in free agency is worse than obstructing a murder investigation?  That's delusional homerism if I've ever seen it.

i cant believe u think he actually wanted to leave, he was in shock, its been written a few times in varying news outlets

he wanted to be a colt for life, Irsay played it like a business, thats not putting blame on peyton, Irsay had chance for another Peyton and build the BALANCED team right from the start, Irsay couldnt spend the $ on someone he didnt know if he could even  play at any level again

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont see Doogan these days?

I don't either. He probably took a brief break from the Forum. I've done that before myself, but I am drawn to football like an addiction & need my fix too much. Plus, my friends on here crack me up & I can't leave that comic relief for all the cash in the world.  :yahoo:

I'm sure Doogan will pop up again when he is ready. 

You can find him on the Broncos board. 

He defected. 

huh? He has 5 and his last World Series win was more recent than Peyton.

Mariano is def the best in what he does. I would have been happy if they gave it to him.

Still doesnt discount the fact that a player having 4 neck surgeries, cant lift a 15 pounds dumbbell and cant throw more than 10 yards to comeback and playing lights out.

The fired comment is laughable. He couldn't prove he was fit to be handed a 28m contract. His fault, not the Colts. Not a dig at Peyton btw, a dig at you for fanning old flames......

He got let go....BHC...Contract was terminated..he was fired...

How ever you want to phrase it...He was axed....It wasnt his fault. he could still play. Obviously...

It worked out for both sides but the truth is what it is....

Mariano is def the best in what he does. I would have been happy if they gave it to him.

Still doesnt discount the fact that a player having 4 neck surgeries, cant lift a 15 pounds dumbbell and cant throw more than 10 yards to comeback and playing lights out.

Yep, like I said you could give to Manning ever year as he will always have those neck surgeries. But last year was his come back year not this year.

I just think the argument is Peyton hasn't really done anything in 2013. The surgeries were not in 2013, his comeback wasnt in 2013 etc etc. 

My opinion it should have went to Ortiz/Boston. 

Regardless, its a somewhat 'meaningless' award. But a personal achievement none the less.

Yep, like I said you could give to Manning ever year as he will always have those neck surgeries. But last year was his come back year not this year.

I think its a combination of what he is doing so in a new franchise, how he rallied the team, coaches players, the records which are falling this year etc.

I just think the argument is Peyton hasn't really done anything in 2013. The surgeries were not in 2013, his comeback wasnt in 2013 etc etc. 

Regardless, its a somewhat 'meaningless' award. But a personal achievement none the less.

Timing is def odd for sure.

With Ortiz you had the special year and the marathon. Truly the def of sportsman of the year. The could have went completely out of the box and given it to the first responders at the marathon who saved lives during a sporting event. Manning was the safe choice.

With Ortiz you had the special year and the marathon. Truly the def of sportsman of the year. The could have went completely out of the box and given it to the first responders at the marathon who saved lives during a sporting event. Manning was the safe choice.

I guess the only other thing with Ortiz could have been the steroids suspicions, although the guy is a heck of a player. I would have liked to see Ray, but he has his baggage also. I have no problem with Peyton, he has had a great year. David also owes us $1200.00 for that bullpen phone ! Lol

Guest TeamLoloJones

No, the season just gone, the one AM wants to honour. Never mind, I knew what my point was.....

...AM was arguing Rivera over Peyton for the award (which as much as I love Peyton, I 100% agree with), and Peyton didn't win the Superbowl this year (last season) either, so I fail to see what your point is.

Guest TeamLoloJones

no more likes

I am with u 

i cant believe u think he actually wanted to leave, he was in shock, its been written a few times in varying news outlets

he wanted to be a colt for life, Irsay played it like a business, thats not putting blame on peyton, Irsay had chance for another Peyton and build the BALANCED team right from the start, Irsay couldnt spend the $ on someone he didnt know if he could even  play at any level again

Sorry for the confusion...but I was referring to LeBron James, not Peyton.

I guess the only other thing with Ortiz could have been the steroids suspicions, although the guy is a heck of a player. I would have liked to see Ray, but he has his baggage also. I have no problem with Peyton, he has had a great year. David also owes us $1200.00 for that bullpen phone ! Lol

I am so tired of the steroid card in baseball to diminish players or teams accomplishments. I get what you are saying. And this is not a rant at you but my own gripe. The drugs have been in baseball since the 80's and I am not sure you cannot definitively say any players did not take them whether they appeared on some report or Jose Canseco mentioned them. It is the steroid era and as ugly as that it is, the entire field was doing it so I don't see it as some advantage. I am not one of those people that say the Yanks champs don't count because they had the whole payroll on roids or the Sox don't count because Manny was a repeated abuser. I get the whole part of not putting them in the HoF but among their peers in this era, it all counts in my view.

Guest TeamLoloJones

my mistake, sometimes i go to fast for my own good , seems like i am always rushing from 1 appointment to another

It's all good...anything that results in me conversing with you is a good thing.  Cheers my friend!

I am so tired of the steroid card in baseball to diminish players or teams accomplishments. I get what you are saying. And this is not a rant at you but my own gripe. The drugs have been in baseball since the 80's and I am not sure you cannot definitively say any players did not take them whether they appeared on some report or Jose Canseco mentioned them. It is the steroid era and as ugly as that it is, the entire field was doing it so I don't see it as some advantage. I am not one of those people that say the Yanks champs don't count because they had the whole payroll on roids or the Sox don't count because Manny was a repeated abuser. I get the whole part of not putting them in the HoF but among their peers in this era, it all counts in my view.

I think my point was it may have cost him as a possible Sportsman of the Year, or eventually getting in the Hall of Fame. We have the same problem in Baltimore with Palmero and Brady Anderson. You can put me in the purist category as I don't think any of those guys should get in the Hall of Fame. I don't care if they played for the Red Sox, Yankees, or my Orioles.

I'm not saying to take away Championships, because none of the teams knew these guys were using when they signed them in the early days. Now you know you are signing some ex steroid guys , but you know testing is on place. I'm glad the Orioles won their titles before the steroid era.

I see what you're saying but he is having a career year at age 37..best ever for a 37 year old

Last season was good...but not his best

This year...Denver has had the No.1 offense and is breaking NFL records.

..and there is the irony because he was let go because it was assumed he could not do this.

I think my point was it may have cost him as a possible Sportsman of the Year, or eventually getting in the Hall of Fame. We have the same problem in Baltimore with Palmero and Brady Anderson. You can put me in the purist category as I don't think any of those guys should get in the Hall of Fame. I don't care if they played for the Red Sox, Yankees, or my Orioles.

I'm not saying to take away Championships, because none of the teams knew these guys were using when they signed them in the early days. Now you know you are signing some ex steroid guys , but you know testing is on place. I'm glad the Orioles won their titles before the steroid era.

Sure testing is in place but guys are still juicing and will continue to do so. There will never be a "clean" period again so like I said you can put the era in a bubble and I get the HoF argument and all but it will continue from here on out.

This year, last year, almost any year he was almost certainly worthy of the award. There is more to being sportsman than championships and stats. Certainly I think Mariano was deserving...surprised neither he nor Peyton had won this award by now regardless of year. These type of things there really is no loser...they have all been pillars in the community and on the field. These awards can be kinda silly because obviously there are many many desearving sportsman...some probably more...like some of these coaches in the inner cities that help these kids...and teach them...thats sportsmanship....but take nothing away from Peyton. His 2013 has been a memorable year.

dg...  Looking at some of the past winners..its clearly not an MVP type deal.

Pat Summit....won...just for being an icon and a trailblazer (it was before she fell ill)

Brett Farve won...a lot for the spirit he displayed....(it wasn't when he was a champion)

Its definetly a career achievement award with special circumstances....Peyton did survive a career-ending injury and this year..he has surpassed anything he'd every done before (he really didnt do that last year) and now he's about to pass anything anyone's ever done at his position in key categories.  No one has really ever done that in team sports at his age

I'm a long time Colts follower so I'm not unbiased..obviously

dg... Looking at some of the past winners..its clearly not an MVP type deal.

Pat Summit....won...just for being an icon and a trailblazer (it was before she fell ill)

Brett Farve won...a lot for the spirit he displayed....(it wasn't when he was a champion)

Its definetly a career achievement award with special circumstances....Peyton did survive a career-ending injury and this year..he has surpassed anything he'd every done before (he really didnt do that last year) and now he's about to pass anything anyone's ever done at his position in key categories. No one has really ever done that in team sports at his age

I'm a long time Colts follower so I'm not unbiased..obviously

I also think people need to realize that Peyton did a lot of things off the field that wasn't always making headlines.

One thing he did was go on a trip to Afghanistan with some other NFL people and spend time with troops and what not.

But his time in Denver has made a city fall in love with him the way it did here in Indy. His connection with the community, especially since its fairly new to him, went a long way in him getting this award.

Good for Peyton glad for him and he has had a great year . . . I would of like to seen it gone to Ortiz . . . given how he played this year and in the playoffs, the turnaround this year for the Soxs, and the whole marathon incident, a race closely tied to the Red Sox as they play on the same day as the historic marathon . . .  

perhaps co-winners would of been a nice touch . . . could of tied two sports together and two great stories and two great athletes and years . . .