Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would love to see Peyton top 50 TDs this season

ponyboy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Denver's O-line needs to do its job. Losing Clady is no excuse. (Great player, arguably the best at his position in the NFL)

I'm not saying you can replace Clady, but the next man up needs to do a serviceable job. I'm sure Manning has had enough of running for his life thanks to the last 3-4 seasons he was here. Peyton was never mobile to begin with, just a quick release and smarts. At his age now he's even less mobile than he was in Indy. Protect the QB or why even bother going out and getting such a big name?

San Fran man...would have had the best O-line in football. The receivers aren't as good, but with a great run game/blocking and pass blocking he wouldn't need them. Let alone that defense to go with it.

Peyton has to avoid what he and Tom failed to avoid when they both went on their historic runs, which is to avoid the late season slow down. At one point Peyton had 44 TD's through 12 games only to finish with 5 in the final 4(although he sat the majority of the final game). At one point Tom had 38 through 10 games and finished with 12 in his last 6 games. When looking at it from that angle, Peyton's 33 through 9 games isn't any more impressive than what he and Tom did before in previous seasons. He is going to face a lot of good defenses in the final 7 weeks. So it wouldn't surprised me if he didn't break the record after all but I hope he does. 

Peyton could have easily had 55-56 TDs in 2004 had he not sat out at least 8 quarters worth of blowouts.   I'd like to see him top 50 this year.   He's at 33 and counting with 7.25 games to go.

He is going to top it. Unlike 2004 he'll be in a tight divisional race with the Chiefs. The Broncos will play every game.

He's on pace to torch that record and with Manning playing every game to the end, I expect him to break it.

He only needs 18 more touchdowns now (and the Chargers game isn't even over). I think he can get 18 in 7 games.

I just waant him to last threw season, even Mike & mike in am today said u have to wonder with how hurt he gets   every wek and with KC in 2 times in next 3 weeks u have to wonder if those top NFL rushers will end his season

Itv was noted it takes 10 hrs of rehaab each time he gets hurt from his other practice & tape cstudy routine

20131110__peyton-manning-ankle-broncos-1

i-zx2GcT6-L.jpg

http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_24496456/kiszla-peyton-mannings-tender-ankles-major-concern

The Chargers made a game of it in the second half for only one obvious reason: Left tackle Chris Clark tries hard, but he is not Clady. Unable to avoid a weakside rush, Manning was stripped of the ball, giving San Diego a short field and new life with an easy touchdown drive in the third quarter, cutting Denver's lead to 28-13.

"I hate these fumbles," said Manning, who took the blame for the turnover

Kansas City favors a retro style, playing something the NFL used to call defense. The Chiefs have Pro Bowl quality tacklers in nose tackle Dontari Poe, linebacker Tamba Hali and safety Eric Berry

The Chiefs play ugly football.

There's only one way the Chiefs can beat the Broncos.

And that way is so painful you can feel Manning wince.

"I'm not trying to test my body," said Manning, who hesitated before saying he planned to play against Kansas City.

It's a brutal sport. The best way to beat Denver is to break Manning.

Read more: Kiszla: Peyton Manning's tender ankles a major concern - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_24496456/kiszla-peyton-mannings-tender-ankles-major-concern#ixzz2kKxmMKti 

He looked to be in a lot of pain after that last hit.    I hope he's okay

Hate to say it but I think a couple of more games and he might be finished for the year hope I'm wrong just gotta feeling?? MRI for him tomorrow??  

see my detailed comments 14 & 16 in http://forums.colts.com/topic/22829-manning-to-under-go-mri/#entry632506

and short one here comment 43

http://forums.colts.com/topic/22812-would-love-to-see-peyton-top-50-tds-this-season/page-2#entry632508

Yeah, you can tell he really doesn't prefer the recent Pats model of, get as close as possible to winning a SB as you can, and then come up short.

Stylistic differences, but they really are two fundamentally different ways to not win a SB.

Your memory of Peyton's Super Bowl pick six must have slipped away, eh?

ROFL

Few thoughts here.

Teams are making an effort to hit Manning low. This has been happening since the Jags game and the hits are piling up. Last year Jaws had said that Manning spent the off-season working on his lower body so he could throw from his legs instead of his arm given the neck surgeries. So it makes sense that teams want to take out his legs. That being said, the hit at the end of the game yesterday was illegal and needs to be fined but I don’t think the players care at this point. They will take the flag and the fine if it means taking Manning out. This is like a bounty IMO.

Second, Manning is holding the ball much longer than he did last year and this needs to change. Last season he was getting the ball out quick on slants and such and now he is back there waiting for plays to develop and getting creamed. His line is not good enough for that style of play but not sure if they have an alternative. Welker seems to be a focal point less and less and that needs to change as he is the short yardage guy that can help Manning get rid of the ball quicker.

Third, if Manning plays the rest of the season, I think he will get close to 55 TDs even with the tough schedule looming. That being said, and this is no slight on Manning or this Broncos team, but they are not in the same class as the ’07 Pats. Brady did not only throw the record 50 TDs, he also set the single receiver record with Moss at 23. And both records fell on the same TD pass to beat the Giants in NY the final game of the season securing the only 16-0 record in NFL history. The 50 TDs were more of a side note to a historical season that produced the best point differential in NFL history. And of course that team never sat in second place in its division with the threat of being a wild card.

Your memory of Peyton's Super Bowl pick six must have slipped away, eh?

ROFL

ROFL yeah because that one time is his trend. His trend was getting knocked out early.

Tom-Tom and the Patriots, trend is getting as close as humanly possible, and then losing. Much closer than Peyton. Seeing that we were already behind when the pick 6 occurred.

ROFL

ROFL

rofl......

He'll break the record. That WR corp is ridiculous. None of Peyton's TDs today were impressive; all wide open.

It'll be amusing to see him win the MVP, then go one-and-done, per usual.

2 of Manning's touchdowns last night were from dump off screen passes that were taken like 60+ yards for a TD.

A lot of his TDs this year have been unimpressive. They throw at the goal line like 90% of the time even though they have a good running game.  You can tell that he is intentionally going for that record and its definitely on their mind the way they call plays. It certainly helps when guys like Demarius Thomas take a 2 yard screen pass 80 yards for a TD though.

I'd like to see Brady hold onto his record but it most likely wont happen.  At the end of the day, as I learned from 2007, is that records are meaningless if you don't hoist a Lombardi trophy up at the end of the year.

2 of Manning's touchdowns last night were from dump off screen passes that were taken like 60+ yards for a TD.

A lot of his TDs this year have been unimpressive. They throw at the goal line like 90% of the time even though they have a good running game.  You can tell that he is intentionally going for that record and its definitely on their mind the way they call plays. It certainly helps when guys like Demarius Thomas take a 2 yard screen pass 80 yards for a TD though.

I'd like to see Brady hold onto his record but it most likely wont happen.  At the end of the day, as I learned from 2007, is that records are meaningless if you don't hoist a Lombardi trophy up at the end of the year.

still he sets up ther blocking scheme for those screens so give some credit, u just dont simply throw a screen and go untocuded unless set up right and as teams see it every game u klnow they have practiced for it,  JTs was 74 yards DT's about 34

sometimes its hard to run in a TD , u try and outguess near goal line, Broncos dont have a real power back & OL isnt getting consistent push for power run, thats why many a 3rd and 1 was lost vs Colts

\as far as padding stats 

thats why in second half  has  he went from a pass happy first half & then after 1st td drive of 2nd half  to a run first  game to run out the clock , hes not padding stats

and he wont break records , i just want him to survive the onslaught of hits he is getting and has   KC coming who are best at it for 2 of 3 games , and BB in between who knows how to get him

LT Clark can be schemed against way to easily for these sacks and strip sacks

u can think what u want , u have that right

also they dont want towaer pout Moreno, he has never finbished a season and backups have fumblesd much, enough that Hillman was again a healthy sctrach

Maybe he'll break it, who knows? I know that down the stretch in 2007, defenses started catching up with the Patriots a little bit and other things started to factor in (injuries, weather, etc). I've been saying for a while that their offense will inevitably slow down a bit as the season progresses. That's been true so far. 

As a Pats fan I'd gladly "give back" the TD record if the outcome of that last game had been different. Manning has more than enough individual awards and accomplishments to contribute to his legacy... I'm sure he's legitimately much more focused on just winning than keeping track of his own stats. At this point in his career he's playing for another shot at a title and that's pretty much it. 

Maybe he'll break it, who knows? I know that down the stretch in 2007, defenses started catching up with the Patriots a little bit and other things started to factor in (injuries, weather, etc). I've been saying for a while that their offense will inevitably slow down a bit as the season progresses. That's been true so far. 

As a Pats fan I'd gladly "give back" the TD record if the outcome of that last game had been different. Manning has more than enough individual awards and accomplishments to contribute to his legacy... I'm sure he's legitimately much more focused on just winning than keeping track of his own stats. At this point in his career he's playing for another shot at a title and that's pretty much it. 

who cares about any record , just want him to not get knowcked out of a game

part of my comment # 43

I just waant him to last threw season, even Mike & mike in am today said u have to wonder with how hurt he gets   every wek and with KC in 2 times in next 3 weeks u have to wonder if those top NFL rushers will end his season

on Colt & upcoming  Bronco games  i dont think i can handle night games any more, its like i see pregame and with 2 large subwooferes in stellar  surround  sysytem blasting out quite loud  in bedroom and tv loud I fall out till sometime during post game or after commenting Bronco night games 

I am getting to old and feel like peyton post those hits

I agree with all of this

I love the part about how a lot of Manning's TDs are unimpressive and he's only throwing very short passes because he wants to score a lot of TDs.....ad that all records made during a non-title year are meaningless..

Do you read what you're writing?

You realize his playoff rating is higher than bradys right?

this is true, but it is a small sample size, and thus can be skewed by locations . . . outside of the 5 SB appearances Brady has played 19 games and Peyton 18 games outside of the SBs and of course all of these are in the AFC . . .

Of Brady's 19 games, 14 where in Foxboro, 2 in Pitt, 1 Den, 1 SD and 1 Indy . . . so basically 17 of Brady's 19 AFC games have been played outside in cold weather environments . . . if you consider Den to be mild, then 16 were in cold weather environment  . . .

Of Manning's 18 AFC games 10 were in a dome, 5 in cold weather environments, one in Den, two warm weather  . . .

When you step back and look at two QBs performances indoors and outdoors, the fact that Brady is only behind Peyton by less than a point in your category is telling on the quality of his work . . .

Manning is having a great year . . . time will tell if he can get past 50 TDs . . . he has three tough games coming up and we will have a better idea after those games if he can keep pace for the record . . . it will also be interesting to see how many overall TDs the offense can produce . . .  I hope Brady can keep the record, I am not one of those "I rather have a ring instead" people . . .(like many have been saying on a pats forum)  for me records and rings are not a either or but an "and" I want to have both if possible . . . and I only really value a few records . . .

It would great if Brady could keep the record but if Manning, or likely another in a few years, breaks it, so be it . . .

Manning is having a great year . . . time will tell if he can get past 50 TDs . . . he has three tough games coming up and we will have a better idea after those games if he can keep pace for the record . . . it will also be interesting to see how many overall TDs the offense can produce . . .  I hope Brady can keep the record, I am not one of those "I rather have a ring instead" people . . .(like many have been saying on a pats forum)  for me records and rings are not a either or but an "and" I want to have both if possible . . . and I only really value a few records . . .

It would great if Brady could keep the record but if Manning, or likely another in a few years, breaks it, so be it . . .

I am with you on this. I want rings first for sure but records are great too and this one is a special one and I want to see Brady keep it. But I won't be heartbroken if Manning breaks it. Actually it would be fitting for the two of them to have traded it the last few years given it had stood for almost 20 years prior. But I do think it will continue to get broken with the high flying passing game dominating the league. I would think Rodgers has a 60 TD season in him if his receivers ever stay healthy for a whole season.

I love the part about how a lot of Manning's TDs are unimpressive and he's only throwing very short passes because he wants to score a lot of TDs.....ad that all records made during a non-title year are meaningless..

Do you read what you're writing?

You think its impressive when a QB throws a ball 2 yards?  Half of his touchdowns were from little dump offs to extremely talented WRs who took the ball 99% of the way to the end zone.

It is what it is, and I've had your very own Colts fans agree that they're playing this year with a style of offense and play calling that makes it obvious they want the touchdown record.

I tend to read everything I write before I post it, so im not sure what you're getting at.  Records are meaningless in the grand scheme of things, records will always be broken but SUPER BOWL WINS last forever.

Manning is on pace with where Brady was at this point of the year in 2007, but the way they call their offensive plays I'm sure he'll continue his pace even as the weather gets bad.  He can have the TD record, lets see who's holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the year.

You think its impressive when a QB throws a ball 2 yards?  Half of his touchdowns were from little dump offs to extremely talented WRs who took the ball 99% of the way to the end zone.

It is what it is, and I've had your very own Colts fans agree that they're playing this year with a style of offense and play calling that makes it obvious they want the touchdown record.

Records are meaningless

lets see who's holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the year.

If the end result is a :td:   then, yes........absolutely.   It is, in fact,  up to the QB to know which guys to pass the ball off to ~ to get the job done.     

What they are "doing"  is playing with a style to Win Games....   pure and simple.

Records  are NOT meaningless.....

Yes, let's see who does......   Right now, it's really not definitive,  is it...??

I tend to read everything I write before I post it, so im not sure what you're getting at.  Records are meaningless in the grand scheme of things, records will always be broken but SUPER BOWL WINS last forever.

Manning is on pace with where Brady was at this point of the year in 2007, but the way they call their offensive plays I'm sure he'll continue his pace even as the weather gets bad.  He can have the TD record, lets see who's holding the Lombardi Trophy at the end of the year.

What is the 'grand scheme of things'...

...I know you don't really think that anybody in the NFL is playing not to win but to roll up records

..and 2-yard pass for a TD is VERY impressive....

Why do you feel that a TD pass has to be a 20-yard spiral and a diving catch?

'Little dump offs' are what wins in the NFL these days...

.ask Drew Brees and D. Sproyles

Not seeing eye-to-eye with you on this one. 

Regardless of whether you're talking about a bunch of long bombs or two-yard passes, any QB who throws 40+ TDs in a season has had an impressive year. I watched the Patriots lose to the Bengals a few weeks back while having LOTS of trouble trying to punch it in from (around) two yards out, either on the ground or via the pass. All QBs also benefit from plays where they make an easy throw and the receiver does the rest. 

I also seriously doubt that "we need to break the single-season TD record for QBs" has come up in any offensive meetings this year for Denver! I know you're probably half-kidding about that, but people here will take you literally, lol... 

What might do the Broncos in... stress on "might"... is that they play what has traditionally been a "soft" style of offense. Every so often those teams still win it all, but usually the one-dimensional aspect of it and their inability to win a street fight is what does them in. It's why the Patriots lost two Super Bowls to the Giants, but it's also why that rag-tag 2001 Patriots team upset the Rams. When your game is based on timing and precision, teams will beat you up to try to disrupt those things. And if the opposing team is good enough to do it, more often than not it works.

I also think that Denver defense is a major liability and that will hurt their chances. 

Don't get me wrong here, I'm a Patriots fan and a Brady guy through-and-through, but credit where it's due... Manning's having a monster year. I'd rather see the Patriots win another Super Bowl. And it would be almost fitting if that happens the same year that Manning breaks Brady's 50-TD record. 

He wanted the time out credited to Denver..because if it was a SD time out, he'd have to leave the game for one play

..and they needed another 1st down

I don't see why that would matter.  Even if SD called a TO, the Broncos could have lined up for a play but called a TO themselves instead of actually running a play.  

I don't see why that would matter.  Even if SD called a TO, the Broncos could have lined up for a play but called a TO themselves instead of actually running a play.

Jason,..I think that if its an injury time out and not a Denver time out..

Manning, being 'injured' would have to leave the game for at least one play..

Peyton didn't want that at that moment...

Jason,..I think that if its an injury time out and not a Denver time out..

Manning, being 'injured' would have to leave the game for at least one play..

Peyton didn't want that at that moment...

I had to do some research on this one.  If I'm understanding correctly then I was kind of right but also kind of wrong.  See when I was watching the game, I thought that Peyton was arguing that SD called the timeout.  I thought he was doing this to prevent Denver from being charged a timeout.  However now I don't think that was the case.  I looked up the rules and have pasted below.  

INJURY TIMEOUTS 
Article 2If an official determines a player to be injured, or if attendants from the bench come on the field to 
assist an injured player, an injury timeout will be called by the Referee. 
A.R. 4.7   Runner A1 is tackled and appears injured since he does not move. 
  Ruling:Official should call timeout for injured player. Official should not try to determine if player is injured. 
Timeout is not charged if conditions are not violated. 
INJURY TIMEOUTS PRIOR TO TWO-MINUTE WARNING OF EITHER HALF 
Article 3When an injury timeout is called, the injured player must leave the game for the completion of one 
down. The player will be permitted to remain in the game if: 
 (a) either team calls a charged team timeout; 
 (b) the injury is the result of a foul by an opponent; or 
 © the period ends or the two-minute warning occurs before the next snap. 
At the conclusion of an injury timeout, the game clock will start as if the injury timeout had not occurred. If either 
team takes, or is charged with, a timeout, the clock will start on the snap. 
INJURY TIMEOUTS AFTER TWO-MINUTE WARNING OF EITHER HALF 
Article 4After the two-minute warning of a half, the following shall apply: 
(a) If a team has not used its three charged team timeouts, the team of the injured player will be charged 
a team timeout, unless: 
 (i) the injury is the result of a foul by an opponent; 
 (ii) the injury occurs during a down in which there is a change of possession, a successful field goal, 
or an attempted Try; or 
 (iii) the opponent calls a timeout. 
(b) If a team has used its three charged team timeouts, an excess team timeout shall be called by the 
Referee, unless: 
 (i) the injury is the result of a foul by an opponent; 
 (ii) the injury occurs during a down in which there is a change of possession, a successful field goal, 
or an attempted Try; or 
 (iii) the opponent calls a timeout. 

The difference is that Manning calls those plays at the LOS when he senses the blitz coming. Brady does not have the mental accumen to do such things with regularity. :)

Leave the real work to Josh McDaniels. ;)

Few thoughts here.

Teams are making an effort to hit Manning low. This has been happening since the Jags game and the hits are piling up. Last year Jaws had said that Manning spent the off-season working on his lower body so he could throw from his legs instead of his arm given the neck surgeries. So it makes sense that teams want to take out his legs. That being said, the hit at the end of the game yesterday was illegal and needs to be fined but I don’t think the players care at this point. They will take the flag and the fine if it means taking Manning out. This is like a bounty IMO.

Second, Manning is holding the ball much longer than he did last year and this needs to change. Last season he was getting the ball out quick on slants and such and now he is back there waiting for plays to develop and getting creamed. His line is not good enough for that style of play but not sure if they have an alternative. Welker seems to be a focal point less and less and that needs to change as he is the short yardage guy that can help Manning get rid of the ball quicker.

Third, if Manning plays the rest of the season, I think he will get close to 55 TDs even with the tough schedule looming. That being said, and this is no slight on Manning or this Broncos team, but they are not in the same class as the ’07 Pats. Brady did not only throw the record 50 TDs, he also set the single receiver record with Moss at 23. And both records fell on the same TD pass to beat the Giants in NY the final game of the season securing the only 16-0 record in NFL history. The 50 TDs were more of a side note to a historical season that produced the best point differential in NFL history. And of course that team never sat in second place in its division with the threat of being a wild card.

lol, of course it is, that is why you brought it up troll.

I agree the team is not as good. Brady has always had a top-rate o-line, were as Manning loses arguably the best LT in football. Manning is the better QB though of course, but QB is just one player on a team... something too many people constantly choose to ignore.

lol, of course it is, that is why you brought it up troll.

I agree the team is not as good. Brady has always had a top-rate o-line, were as Manning loses arguably the best LT in football. Manning is the better QB though of course, but QB is just one player on a team... something too many people constantly choose to ignore.

I put the disclaimer for people like you. ;-)

Ask GB if QB is not the most important position ....

I had to do some research on this one.  If I'm understanding correctly then I was kind of right but also kind of wrong.  See when I was watching the game, I thought that Peyton was arguing that SD called the timeout.  I thought he was doing this to prevent Denver from being charged a timeout.  However now I don't think that was the case.  I looked up the rules and have pasted below.  

What I don't get is San Deigo called a timeout. That is the only reason he sat back down. So why does San Deigo get their time out back?