ponyboy

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moss > Thomas

Welker = Welker

Decker > Stallworth

Orange Julius > Watson and Gaffney combined.

Moreno > Marooney

Denver has the better receivig corps by far. The only argumwnt you could make is that Moss is so much better than everyone else that it cancels out Decker and Julius.

A 26 year old Welker is better than a 32 year old Welker. He was faster then and did not have as many drops. He basically was the Pats run game as he was uncoverable in the flat.

Moss for sure makes them better. His 23 TDs were monstrous and often he was double or triple teamed and out jumped the defenders.

I do like this year's Denver receivers a lot but I think both the Pats of 2007 and the Colts of 2003 are better.

It's hard to compare QBs from different eras.  The rules today are much different than the rules of old.  The NFL protects QBs, the rules have changed in the favor of the offense.  50 touchdowns in 2007, or 50 touchdowns in 2013 are not the same as 50 touchdowns would have been during Montana's era. 

It's hard to compare QBs from different eras.  The rules today are much different than the rules of old.  The NFL protects QBs, the rules have changed in the favor of the offense.  50 touchdowns in 2007, or 50 touchdowns in 2013 are not the same as 50 touchdowns would have been during Montana's era. 

& Brees streak of TDs is not the same to me as Unitas 47 when seasons were 12 games and he oftened played hurt and did it over 5 years, but thats another topic I guess

& Brees streak of TDs is not the same to me as Unitas 47 when seasons were 12 games and he oftened played hurt and did it over 5 years, but thats another topic I guess

It's the same general idea.  Your points are very valid, different era, different length season.  I can enjoy watching old film of Unitas, and I can enjoy watching a great QB like Drew Brees. 

Too many fans get caught up in arguing their favorite player is the "greatest" of all time.  The NFL is entertainment, enjoy the games, don't get caught up in who is the GOAT.  Some people behave as if they have a personal stake in "winning" such a contest. 

It's the same general idea.  Your points are very valid, different era, different length season.  I can enjoy watching old film of Unitas, and I can enjoy watching a great QB like Drew Brees. 

Too many fans get caught up in arguing their favorite player is the "greatest" of all time.  The NFL is entertainment, enjoy the games, don't get caught up in who is the GOAT.  Some people behave as if they have a personal stake in "winning" such a contest. 

i never bet, so never a personal stake in that sense, my only bet ever was on Secretariot, at the Derby, i bet  $ 2 and won 10 cents --- wow I was so happy too & so young

I always say all any player can be is the best of his generation. After that it is up for debate as it is too hard to judge eras and to try to project how a player would have  performed or not performed in a different era.

Like I've pointed out before, Brees continued his streak around game 30 by throwing his lone touchdown with 4 seconds left in the game. His team was losing by more than 20 points when he got the ball with 30 or so seconds left. Garbage time TD, and his streak should have ended that day. He is a stat padder.

Like I've pointed out before, Brees continued his streak around game 30 by throwing his lone touchdown with 4 seconds left in the game. His team was losing by more than 20 points when he got the ball with 30 or so seconds left. Garbage time TD, and his streak should have ended that day. He is a stat padder.

Unitas didn't throw a single garbage time TD? I find that hard to believe.

Plus, what do you want Brees to do in thay situation? Not throw the TD?

Unitas didn't throw a single garbage time TD? I find that hard to believe.

Plus, what do you want Brees to do in thay situation? Not throw the TD?

i have the book listing all, & scores ,  and not reading it to answer bnut will say most were multiple td games and many 1 td games were  qquite close, not all, but book doesnt say what quarter td thrown & I know it was 1st 3 to start streak that had only 1 TD

some of his 1 td games went for over 50 yards for the td pass, 1 did his 3rd game of streak and was only td thrown , next year a 1 td game he threw a 66 yarder & in another an 82 to lenny more out of that backfield in losing 13 to 17

games then werent often blowouts , though one won by 40 to 14 he only threw 1, 37 yarder but again i dont know when thrown

a blowout like 42 to 7 on 10-2-60 he threw 4 tds, including a 66 , 27, 18, & 43 yarder, he dint throw dump off junk TDs 

I will say this about unitas though he was smashed and bleeding badly by nose, N Mackey stuffed mud y up his nostrils and still the blood flew , he stayed in , not missing a play and leda long a colt drive with throwing a td

1 pass I will never forget
RB Lenny Moore runs to the sidelines and them upfield, Unitas sees him and delivers a pass that in my memory traveled 50 yards to hit Moore perfectly in stride who ran another 20 for the 70 yard TD, I think that sticks in my mind over some of Berry's highlights as the way Unitas often did that with Moore out of the Backfield, Unitas, Berry & Moore were the triplets of the time

also KNow  this this wasnt a pass happy game then, many games  , like half the streak he threw , well # of attempts in the teens or   20's esp when threw only 1 td, not all but quit many 

11-3-57, 1 td but 9 attempts only

later part of streak he threw more attempts in general but still not like today

streak game # 43 yes  hpow about 16 attempts and 4 tds , 68 , 52, 70, to ray berry and a 20 yarder to moore, u cant compare hius streak at all, far surpasses brees

anyway have a good night but I aqm passionate about Unitas over anyone else

It won't get any easier for Peyton next week in Foxboro or in two weeks in KC. He will have to feast against some weaker defenses if he is going to break that record. I'm not sure he will do it because it looks like between his injury and Denver trying to keep him healthy they are going to run the ball  A LOT.

Anyone question Peyton just racking up easy TDs or cheap ones inside the 10 take note....Peyton ran the ball tonight...and a ran it often. I think this should finally put to rest whether he is just a stat * or trying to win the game....he could care less about that record...just W's....just like Tom and just like Drew. Peyton showed once and for all he is simply just trying to win. I don't know if he will get the record...I have my doubts but was constantly checking down to run plays even on 3rd down. So can we once and for all agree....whether he is inside the 10 or anywhere on the field..this is just a product of him making the call that will best help them win?

It won't get any easier for Peyton next week in Foxboro or in two weeks in KC. He will have to feast against some weaker defenses if he is going to break that record. I'm not sure he will do it because it looks like between his injury and Denver trying to keep him healthy they are going to run the ball  A LOT.

Anyone question Peyton just racking up easy TDs or cheap ones inside the 10 take note....Peyton ran the ball tonight...and a ran it often. I think this should finally put to rest whether he is just a stat * or trying to win the game....he could care less about that record...just W's....just like Tom and just like Drew. Peyton showed once and for all he is simply just trying to win. I don't know if he will get the record...I have my doubts but was constantly checking down to run plays even on 3rd down. So can we once and for all agree....whether he is inside the 10 or anywhere on the field..this is just a product of him making the call that will best help them win?

Yes, I agree. Will be tough to get to 50 given the schedule and the fact that Denver will continue to protect Manning by running and throwing short. I still think he does it though.

Enough already about players going for records. To think Manning is not aware of how close he is to breaking the record is asinine. While I do agree he cares most about winning, he has the record in his sights too. And that is not some slight on him or makes him somehow less of a player. If you have a chance at a record you are supposed to go for it. Pretty sure AP was doing his best last year to get to Dickerson as he should have. That is a monster record and one every RB would love to have.

Just stop that EJ. Had me wretching all over my porridge right there. I also remember those 04/05 days on the old forum. You and Dynasty and JJ were very naughty boys for a while, until that great Colts victory up in Foxoboro one cold Monday night....

Wait a second. You eat porridge? 

GoPats - ready for the next weekend? :)

Let me get through the potential coronary event of this evening's game before I start thinking about the Broncos, lol...  ;)

Panthers are no pushover. Denver will be tough, especially on six days of prep.

Oh yeah, i forgot NE didnt play yet. Will be a good game.

They have some tape to work with... if they can do what Indy did and what KC did in the first quarter (except for the bomb to Thomas) then they'll be OK. Gotta run the ball on that team and eat clock. It's cliche but it's true. A year or two ago I would have liked the Patriots' ability to keep up in a track meet, but not as sure of that now.

Sounds like Welker may be iffy for this one after getting concussed last night and only having six days to pass the protocols before he can play. That's kind of a shame but it'll help NE.