Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

are the next four games trap games

CR91

I made a thread talking about how the last 4 games would really tell us about this team and they did a tremendous job going 3-1. honestly I think the players were thinking ahead to the bronco game and weren't really focused on the chargers, but regardless going 3-1 facing the teams we did shows what an amazing team this could be. now next on our schedule are the rams titans cards and titans again. not exactly the heavyweight fights that we had in october. I find it hard for a team especially this young to stay focused when the level of competition that they were use to has now lowered. what do you guys think.

We do play down or up to our level of competition, it seems like, and that results in us going "Oh snap, here comes the 4th qtr." :).

We have won or lost games in the 4th qtr. but we need to learn to start playing all quarters to continue our pace, IMO.

Titans are not trap games. Colts have to win both or the Titans still have a realistic shot at winning the division. They are the most important games on the schedule right now.

titans arent exactly world beaters though. their not at the level of competition of the seahawks 49ers and broncos

titans arent exactly world beaters though. their not at the level of competition of the seahawks 49ers and broncos

Much to my surprise, they're a very good team when Locker is playing.  Their running game is kicking in, they have a good O line and their defense is solid.

All that being said, I wouldn't be totally shocked if the Jags beat them Sunday.  I hope so, I plan on going to the Thursday night game and that would probably lower the ticket prices.

No doubt the Colts should beat them, but they always play us tough. Division games, no matter the opponent, are always the most important. Also, I hate Thursday night games.

Meh... The Colts have some key players out, this stretch of the schedule might not look pretty, but should help the young guys get into the fold of things more, especially on the offensive side of the ball... Don't think the idea of trap game applies here though, Chuck & the team know what St Louis can do on defense & the running game, they will also be looking at Tenn. to wrap up the div. the Arizona game may be the test for the team...

I am going to that game, & I am afraid I am a jinx, as I have never seen the Colts win an away game when I 'be been in attendance, so if this Arizona game doesn't buck that trend, I will officially retire from attending Colts away games...

Colts just need to learn how to start a little faster, that will be huge in helping limit Stacy/St. Louis & Chris Johnson/Tenn....

Trap Game: A game you overlook based on previous performance against a higher ranked opponent to plan for another higher ranked opponent in the matchup proceeding the game in question.

The Titans can not be a trap game because they are must win.

I think you are totally wrong about the Chargers game and that every week is the same challenge.

Hopefully the starting tackles will be out against us for all of our remaining opponents and their RB`s, WR`s and pass rushers are injured or get hurt early. Throw in a few wink wink calls and there ya go.

What we do know is we get great effort week to week, get few penalties, don`t turn the ball over, play good special teams, and never give up.

And have what MUST BE one of the WORST O-Lines, and one of the better secondarys.

We do play down or up to our level of competition, it seems like, and that results in us going "Oh snap, here comes the 4th qtr." :).

We have won or lost games in the 4th qtr. but we need to learn to start playing all quarters to continue our pace, IMO.

Was just going to post the same thing. Think that's why we come out struggling against lesser teams. Not sure if they think they can just show up? They need to play each team like they're the underdogs. Who knows ;)

Y'all keep on thinking the Titans & Rams are cakewalks

Easily can lose 3 of the next 4 or even all 4

I only see one poster that says "we should win these games." What most are saying is that these games don't fit the definition of what a trap game is and they are correct. A trap game is a game that you overlook against a lessor team because you have just played or have a bigger game coming up. many on this board call any game which you are considered to have the better team (favorite) a trap game.

I only see one poster that says "we should win these games." What most are saying is that these games don't fit the definition of what a trap game is and they are correct. A trap game is a game that you overlook against a lessor team because you have just played or have a bigger game coming up. many on this board call any game which you are considered to have the better team (favorite) a trap game.

Yeah but this team has made me realized it's way too inconsistent to "favor" us in any game. One week we play like super bowl contenders then tje next week we want the #1 overall pick in he draft. It's a young team so it's understandable but we definitely have to fix that

Trap Game: A mystical concept invented by fans who think teams don't prepare or try as hard against a higher rated team than they would do against a lower rated team.

I'd love to understand where the 'line' is, that separates both categories. Or do we have 'trap', maybe/maybe not trap, and non trap games? But just where is that line drawn.

All a bunch of baloney.

Trap Game: A mystical concept invented by fans who think teams don't prepare or try as hard against a higher rated team than they would do against a lower rated team.

I'd love to understand where the 'line' is, that separates both categories. Or do we have 'trap', maybe/maybe not trap, and non trap games? But just where is that line drawn.

All a bunch of baloney.

Doesn't the trap element lie with the higher rated team? I.e. they won't try as hard against the lower rated team?

Complacency exists. As does over-confidence. They're not  "mystical concepts" or a "bunch of baloney". They're phenomena that can be observed relatively regularly in professional sports. Just look what happened last weekend when the Bucs came out and shocked the Seahawks.

It's perfectly plausible to assume that a team would go into a game against lower rated opposition and think that they can be easily brushed aside.

Titans gave us fits last year in both games. Anyone remember?

We almost got beat in Tennessee and managed to tie and win in OT. Thanks Vick!

Then at home we started off HORRIBLE til the half/4th quarter. Jake Locker was tearing us up and ran for big yards too.

All a bunch of baloney.

I don't like the concept of trap games, personally. I'd like to think that our team is professional enough to prepare well and get ready for every game on the schedule.

But I do think there are certain games that players and coaches pay special attention to. For example, I think the meetings and film work for the secondary were a little more intense against the Broncos than they were against other teams. I think the offensive meetings were a little more involved against the Seahawks. I think the Texans went into Sunday's game fighting to keep their season alive, and that led to heightened intensity in practice and so on.

If that's true, then it means there are different levels of preparation from week to week. I'm not saying that guys loaf around before a lesser opponent, but I do think they approach certain games differently. The Colts sort of acknowledged that phenomenon before the Jags game with the mouse traps. And I don't think it's because they had a big game the week after, I think it's just because there's not as much angst and intensity before you play a bad team as there is against an undefeated heavyweight. 

Doesn't the trap element lie with the higher rated team? I.e. they won't try as hard against the lower rated team?

Complacency exists. As does over-confidence. They're not  "mystical concepts" or a "bunch of baloney". They're phenomena that can be observed relatively regularly in professional sports. Just look what happened last weekend when the Bucs came out and shocked the Seahawks.

It's perfectly plausible to assume that a team would go into a game against lower rated opposition and think that they can be easily brushed aside.

Or maybe, in sports, where skill, effort and luck combine to determine the outcome, some teams play well on the day, but are just not good enough to do it consistently? I've played many sports over the years, and had good days and bad. NEVER have my bad days been because of complacency. I take your 'plausible, and raise it to 'codswallop'...

Or maybe, in sports, where skill, effort and luck combine to determine the outcome, some teams play well on the day, but are just not good enough to do it consistently? I've played many sports over the years, and had good days and bad. NEVER have my bad days been because of complacency. I take your 'plausible, and raise it to 'codswallop'...

Sure, that happens sometimes.

But I very much doubt that you have put 100% effort and concentration into every single sports game you've ever played. And I very much doubt these guys do too. Whether they're paid to or not.

Colts are 6 - 0 and Thursday night games

Didn't say the Colts aren't good on TNF. I just personally don't like them. Don't care for the announcers, usually not very good games, and it's obvious the players don't like them. Those short weeks generally equal poor quality football.

Didn't say the Colts aren't good on TNF. I just personally don't like them. Don't care for the announcers, usually not very good games, and it's obvious the players don't like them. Those short weeks generally equal poor quality football.

Ya there definitely more mistakes in those games. I find you get a lot of big plays though which is exciting, those games usually come down to pure talent instead of game planning which is why I think the colts have been so good on short weeks.

I'd love to see a 'table of mistakes' segmented across all the different days, as I cannot really believe this is true. Some of the games are poor quality for sure, because of the stature of the teams playing. You rarely get Broncos v Colts, or Patriots v Niners etc. A bit like the London games.

PS - I don't really want to see a table etc....

Yeah but this team has made me realized it's way too inconsistent to "favor" us in any game. One week we play like super bowl contenders then tje next week we want the #1 overall pick in he draft. It's a young team so it's understandable but we definitely have to fix that

Yeah. I hear you. I was just giving you what I believe is the definition of a "trap game."

How can you not like Brad Nessler & Mike Mayock?

Nessler is fine, but Mayock just annoys me. I think he knows the game really well but he just seems full of himself.

Yeah; that's true. Mayock seems cocky when discussing the younger guys since hes kinda the draft guru of the NFL. But other than that I don't mind either of them. And I always know how to mute my TV if the commentators are annoying. Like I did with Madden 13. Phil Simms was extremely annoying

Yeah; that's true. Mayock seems cocky when discussing the younger guys since hes kinda the draft guru of the NFL. But other than that I don't mind either of them. And I always know how to mute my TV if the commentators are annoying. Like I did with Madden 13. Phil Simms was extremely annoying

Yeah, I mean I won't deny he's a smart guy and has a lot of knowledge and some insightful information, but he really does seem to take too much pride in his scouting. It's a lot of "I saw this kid run the 40 at the combine" or "I watched this kids pro day." I get it, you do a lot of scouting on these guys. Could be worse I suppose.