Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans bench Ed Reed

SkyBane

I still think Reed can be a difference maker in the secondary...but I think they rushed him back. I didn't expect him to play before week 6...of course they needed a difference maker so he came back earlier than that. There issue hasn't been the secondary...of course if Reed could play qb he could have helped. I think he could add veteren leadership still and he always has a nose for the ball...but this season definately hasn't turned out as they expected....even Watts isn't having the difference he made last year.

It was obvious the last couple of yrs. that Reed was losing it quick. I kept telling all those that wanted us to sign him that it would be an extremely bad move, but they wouldn't listen. It's a good thing Grigson didn't think it would be a good move.

I still think Reed can be a difference maker in the secondary...but I think they rushed him back. I didn't expect him to play before week 6...of course they needed a difference maker so he came back earlier than that. There issue hasn't been the secondary...of course if Reed could play qb he could have helped. I think he could add veteren leadership still and he always has a nose for the ball...but this season definately hasn't turned out as they expected....even Watts isn't having the difference he made last year.

I agree dg;

He's still not healthy..

They have some winnable games..and if they get back into contention (they could win their next 4) he's still valuable.

They didn't really acquire him for the regular season.

I agree dg;

He's still not healthy..

They have some winnable games..and if they get back into contention (they could win their next 4) he's still valuable.

I agree dg;

He's still not healthy..

I was another that wanted no part of Ed Reed . At some point in time players come to a point where they can't play at the same level and I would guess that Reed has reached that . The Texans had a hole at safety and took a shot that he had a little gas left in the tank. If he did , the hip injury pretty much nixed it. 

As far as some comparing it to the Colts signing Landry , you have to look at the contracts. Reed only had 6 Mill guaranteed and a cap hit of around 3 mill this year. They'll cut him rather than pay the 2014  $4,000,000 base. It will cost 2.7 in cap hit. Not end of the world. If Landry busts because of injuries , the Colts on the other hand will have a much larger cap hit. So just not apples to apples.

That said, IMO, the Texans took a gamble with a guy that maybe they shouldn't have but probably not going to mean much in their overall picture.

Again, it shows people why Ozzie did what he did, and didn't resign Reed for the ridiculous money the Texans gave him. Even though the Ravens are in a down year, I think Newsome did the right thing letting most of those guys go. It was a long, winning run for the Ravens, but the window had shut after the Super Bowl win, and it was time to rebuild. I would even argue the Ravens had their best team in 2011, and didn't win, but were willed by Ray Lewis one final time in 2012. The 2011 team was better.

That being said , time moves on and Ray and Ed couldn't play forever, although it is apparent their leadership is missed. The Ravens are in rebuilding mode now, and hopefully they can rebuild successfully as they have done in the past. Hanging onto old stars too long like the Steelers doesn't work.

Again, it shows people why Ozzie did what he did, and didn't resign Reed for the ridiculous money the Texans gave him. Even though the Ravens are in a down year, I think Newsome did the right thing letting most of those guys go. It was a long, winning run for the Ravens, but the window had shut after the Super Bowl win, and it was time to rebuild. I would even argue the Ravens had their best team in 2011, and didn't win, but were willed by Ray Lewis one final time in 2012. The 2011 team was better.

That being said , time moves on and Ray and Ed couldn't play forever, although it is apparent their leadership is missed. The Ravens are in rebuilding mode now, and hopefully they can rebuild successfully as they have done in the past. Hanging onto old stars too long like the Steelers doesn't work.

I still think the Ravens will win the North this year. Don't trust the Bengals.

To your point about the Steelers, Tomlin is getting grilled these days. His team has deteroiated right around him. Not sure what happened with their drafts but they have hung on to players too long. They did cut ties with Harrison which was a good move but their secondary is really slow out there now. And they have no real play makers on O anymore.

To your point about the Steelers, Tomlin is getting grilled these days. His team has deteroiated right around him. Not sure what happened with their drafts but they have hung on to players too long. They did cut ties with Harrison which was a good move but their secondary is really slow out there now. And they have no real play makers on O anymore.

Browns with QBs not named Weeden> Ravens this year. You may not trust the Bengals, but the Ravens just arent good this year.

lol. Amendola will never be benched and he has been a difference maker in every game he has played. Hopefully the injury thing is behind him at least for this season anyways ...

10 catches for 100 yards      (VS BUFFALO)

4 catches for 55 yards    game changer??

2 catches 0 yards           game changer??

3 catches for 15 yards    game changer??

4 catches 115 yards  1 TD    (Dobson had more catches, yards, and TDs) (VS PITTSBURGH)

Just counting games he has played in, he is averaging about 50 yards a game and scores 1 time every 5 games... game changer...uhhh no.

you are lying to yourself if you think the Pats are happy with what they have gotten out of Amendola.  He was brought in to replace Welker (1300 yards and 6 TDs in 2012) and has absolutely not done that.  Amendola has had 2 good games and they were against Buffalo and Pittsburgh defenses.  

I shouldnt even reply to you because I know you will find some horrible way of saying Amendola has been great but the real truth is that you, Brady, and everyone else with that whole organization wish they could go back and keep Welker.   

I wish you were right, but I think we're sunk. You can't lose to weak teams like the Steelers and Browns back to back. Our offensive line is injured and bad, we have no rushing game, and the defense can't get the opposing offense off the field in the clutch. If they can beat the Bengals at home, there may be some signs of life, but it looks grim. Just can't win the close ones this year.

Browns with QBs not named Weeden> Ravens this year. You may not trust the Bengals, but the Ravens just arent good this year.

Probably true. Every chance the Ravens have to win, some phase of their team fails. It has been across the board, coaching, offense, defense , and special teams. Everything that helped them win last year, has gone horribly wrong this year. I agree, they are very mediocre this year.

Probably true. Every chance the Ravens have to win, some phase of their team fails. It has been across the board, coaching, offense, defense , and special teams. Everything that helped them win last year, has gone horribly wrong this year. I agree, they are very mediocre this year.

We went through a lot of pain and were able to bounce back because we had a qb. You guys have a good one too and while your down this year I think a year or so away from being right back. You have incredible pieces to build around. A healthy ray rice would be a difference in those divisional games. While I think your a couple years from the SB if you make good moves (and Ozzie usually does) I see no reason you can't compete next year. You guys have a winning organization and moved out the right guys imo for rebuilding....Pitts didn't...and I think it will be a lot longer before they compete....or at least until they get a new OC.

4 catches 115 yards  1 TD    (Dobson had more catches, yards, and TDs) (VS PITTSBURGH)

Just counting games he has played in, he is averaging about 50 yards a game and scores 1 time every 5 games... game changer...uhhh no.

you are lying to yourself if you think the Pats are happy with what they have gotten out of Amendola.  He was brought in to replace Welker (1300 yards and 6 TDs in 2012) and has absolutely not done that.  Amendola has had 2 good games and they were against Buffalo and Pittsburgh defenses.  

I shouldnt even reply to you because I know you will find some horrible way of saying Amendola has been great but the real truth is that you, Brady, and everyone else with that whole organization wish they could go back and keep Welker.   

The two games where he was healthy he was big time. He was never brought in to solely replace Welker as Endelman has been playing the slot as well. The Pats offense has changed from a middle of the field offense to a down the field, outside the numers offense with the emergence of Thomkins and now Hobson. The middle is still there but not the main focal point. If Amendola continues to stay healthly and makes plays in the post-season to help the Pats win then Bill will look like a genius gain. And remember the guy is 28 and has four more years after this to prove his worth.

You may be right but I never saw a team look more dead in the water than the Ravens the last 5 games of the season. I am not sure you can ever really count them out. And I don't like the Bengals yet as a legit contender.

The two games where he was healthy he was big time. He was never brought in to solely replace Welker as Endelman has been playing the slot as well. The Pats offense has changed from a middle of the field offense to a down the field, outside the numers offense with the emergence of Thomkins and now Hobson. The middle is still there but not the main focal point. If Amendola continues to stay healthly and makes plays in the post-season to help the Pats win then Bill will look like a genius gain. And remember the guy is 28 and has four more years after this to prove his worth.

Two big games out of nine. Injuries still define a player. Against Buff and Pitt. Did you see what Peyton did with Collie and White. Mr and Mrs average WR's. The guy defines mediocre. At best. You ain't fooling anyone on here.

Two big games out of nine. Injuries still define a player. Against Buff and Pitt. Did you see what Peyton did with Collie and White. Mr and Mrs average WR's. The guy defines mediocre. At best. You ain't fooling anyone on here.

He has an injury history. Not like the Pats did not know that but in the few games he has played he has looked good. The question is can he stay on the field. So far he has played two games in a row with the third coming after the bye. It is not like a new receiver just comes aboard and is all of a sudden a superstar. At least not in the Pats complex offensive system. Even Gronk looked slow and sluggiesh his first two games back and then more like himself last week. Money time is now. Like I said if Amendola performs down the stretch like he is capable of then Bill will look like a genius. There aren't any awards given out at the halfway point ...

Actually Edelman took Welkers spot.

Amendola is coming along just fine. If he can stay healthy and that's a big IF he'll be a solid contributor down the stretch and in the SB run.

What are you talking about? Peyton almost killed Collie.

I have no interest in anything you say. You are the Incognito of posters. Go away.

I'm usually with you , but I think he's talking about some of those seam routes that Peyton just floated in there to Collie. I believe his first bad injury was on such a play and no doubt Collie was put in a very "precarious " position making that play. 

We went through a lot of pain and were able to bounce back because we had a qb. You guys have a good one too and while your down this year I think a year or so away from being right back. You have incredible pieces to build around. A healthy ray rice would be a difference in those divisional games. While I think your a couple years from the SB if you make good moves (and Ozzie usually does) I see no reason you can't compete next year. You guys have a winning organization and moved out the right guys imo for rebuilding....Pitts didn't...and I think it will be a lot longer before they compete....or at least until they get a new OC.

Joe hasn't been great this year, but he has not had much help. The offensive line is so bad , he is getting belted around in the pocket, or running for his life. He is a solid , winning quarterback who needs a decent running game, and o line. Right now, neither exists. I agree they do have some nice pieces , but next years draft and free agency will be critical. They need to draft like the Colts did after that 2-14 season.