Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell/coaching (Merge)

number28

polian signs collins so collins had to start caldwell can over ride him

My interpretation was that Caldwell was clueless about whether Painter was ready so they started Collins. I don't fault the Collins signing because we needed a decent backup. I think that Collins will get better after he gets into shape and learns more.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No, I'm not allowing people to pander that "hindsight" excuse. No."

Hey now, Painter from every snap I saw from 2 years ago looked bad. So... I'm not surprised that the FO wanted to bring in a Vet. At the time I tended to think that it would of been in our better interest to play the vet. As far as the "no peyton" scenario.. they didn't know until it was to late. Nothing more nothing less.

At risk of repeating myself, Caldwell should have seen something in practice to give him an indication. Either, Caldwell chose to let Peyton dictate what snaps Painter got in practice (none), or he didn't know what he was looking at. Either way, it is incompetent head coaching.

Caldwell was our QB coach for a number of years in Indianapolis. Presumably, he knows QBs. Why was he not able to determine that Painter should have started week one?

Analysts have suggested that it might have something to do with Painter not getting any reps in practice due to Peyton's objections.

Either Caldwell is incompetent or weak which translates into incompetence as a head coach. A head coach must have the knowledge of football and the will to start the correct players.

I don't think it has anything to do with Peyton's objections. If you watch Peyton on the sidelines this year, he wants Curtis to do well, and he's happy when Curtis does do well. I just think it was the Colts culture and thinking that Manning is going to play all the snaps, so he's going to get all the practice. Whether that was a mistake or not, I won't debate.

I really do think it has to do more with Caldwell being a passive personality, rather than incompetence. Remember... Collins is Polian's boy, being drafted by him, then signed by him out of FA. And it was readily apparent to anyone watching practice (e.g. Reggie Wayne) that Painter had the skills.

Caldwell's competence, or lack there of, is his game management skills. He doesn't adjust offensively or defensively or refuses to and his time management skills are sorely lacking. It is clear he was hired to be a "game manager" of sorts and carry the Dungy mantra, he is carrying the Dungy mantra but he is not managing nearly well enough. Couple his questionable calls and time managment and schematic miscues with the departure of the mainstay coaching staff of Mudd, Moore and Huey, all of which are legendary coaches in their own right, and without Manning is leaves this coach and his staff looking lost and clueless. Of course Caldwell's "stoic" sideline demeanor does not help in that regard.

I think he sticks for the season and gets to be the sacrificial lamb of sorts after it's over and Chris get's to bring in "his guy" with his staff. At least this is what I hope, but I would not put it past the Polians to stand pat and ride it out another year in hopes that Manning makes a full recovery and they quickly get back to winning again.

Caldwell's competence, or lack there of, is his game management skills. He doesn't adjust offensively or defensively or refuses to and his time management skills are sorely lacking. It is clear he was hired to be a "game manager" of sorts and carry the Dungy mantra, he is carrying the Dungy mantra but he is not managing nearly well enough. Couple his questionable calls and time managment and schematic miscues with the departure of the mainstay coaching staff of Mudd, Moore and Huey, all of which are legendary coaches in their own right, and without Manning is leaves this coach and his staff looking lost and clueless. Of course Caldwell's "stoic" sideline demeanor does not help in that regard.

I think he sticks for the season and gets to be the sacrificial lamb of sorts after it's over and Chris get's to bring in "his guy" with his staff. At least this is what I hope, but I would not put it past the Polians to stand pat and ride it out another year in hopes that Manning makes a full recovery and they quickly get back to winning again.

The Mudd move was solid if you ask me. I don't think that Mudd is the coach that he was. Age might be catching up with him. He is with the Eagles now and Vick can't play a full game. Our O-line has improved dramatically since Mudd's departure.

However, Caldwell has really screwed up in many regards. IMO, the most telling of his incompetence is his inability to demonstrate competence in his specialty, QB coaching .

Edited by GoGoColts

I saw once an article where a journalist/blogger asked Howard Mudd whether Sorgi got any snaps in practice and Mudd said NO!. The journalist asked "Don't you want Manning's backup to practice with the first team, get some reps in?" Mudd's answer, very telling in Hindsight was, "If we lose Manning we're f-d. Why would we practice being f-d?"

rotfl I actually think he's right. There's no way a backup could go in and be PM. All indicators were that Painter sucked. And just because he could make some throws in practice didn't give the coaching staff any real idea of how well he'd be able to read defenses, whether he'd have the pocket presence, whether he could actually lead the team.

That is the proverbial hindsight is 20 20.Nobody in Coltsland wanted Painter in there week one except his family maybe.Even the Colt's had no faith in him going out and getting washed up Collins.If anything can be criticized it is the fact that the Colt's would keep a guy as a backupfor years they do not believe could leadthe team.

"No, I'm not allowing people to pander that "hindsight" excuse. No."

Hey now, Painter from every snap I saw from 2 years ago looked bad. So... I'm not surprised that the FO wanted to bring in a Vet. At the time I tended to think that it would of been in our better interest to play the vet. As far as the "no peyton" scenario.. they didn't know until it was to late. Nothing more nothing less.

Then again it did violate cardinal rule, next man up, thats why Reggie was so upset he said

I saw once an article where a journalist/blogger asked Howard Mudd whether Sorgi got any snaps in practice and Mudd said NO!. The journalist asked "Don't you want Manning's backup to practice with the first team, get some reps in?" Mudd's answer, very telling in Hindsight was, "If we lose Manning we're f-d. Why would we practice being f-d?"

rotfl I actually think he's right. There's no way a backup could go in and be PM. All indicators were that Painter sucked. And just because he could make some throws in practice didn't give the coaching staff any real idea of how well he'd be able to read defenses, whether he'd have the pocket presence, whether he could actually lead the team.

It shows how weak willed Caldwell is because he let's the QB make decisions on how to run practice.

That is the proverbial hindsight is 20 20.Nobody in Coltsland wanted Painter in there week one except his family maybe.Even the Colt's had no faith in him going out and getting washed up Collins.If anything can be criticized it is the fact that the Colt's would keep a guy as a backupfor years they do not believe could leadthe team.

The organization has to be held to a higher standard because we don't see behind the scenes. saying that fans agreed with a horrible organizational decision when we only have Sundays to evaluate players is a flimsy argument.

It's the same with the draft. Just because we thought that Jerry Hughes and Donald Brown were good prospects doesn't mean that the organization accountable. I picked both those guys using a draft sorter on NFL.com.

I suppose that if all I need to be a GM and head coach is to have fan agreement, a draft sorter on NFL.com, and let my starting QB punk me out and run practice his way then I guess that I could be a NFL head coach or GM.

The Mudd move was solid if you ask me. I don't think that Mudd is the coach that he was. Age might be catching up with him. He is with the Eagles now and Vick can't play a full game. Our O-line has improved dramatically since Mudd's departure.

However, Caldwell has really screwed up in many regards. IMO, the most telling of his incompetence is his inability to demonstrate competence in his specialty, QB coaching .

You have to toss in what Mudd was working with the last few years, which really outside of an aging Saturday wasn't/isn't much, also Vick cannot stay healthy because he takes alot of risks with his running and he tends to hold the ball a bit and he has been that way long before Mudd signed on.

The improved line play can be laid at the feet of Chris Polian, he has made an obvious effort to get bigger and better up front and of course Pete M. is a viable line coach. The substandard line play the last few years is a direct result of Bill Polian not addressing it properly, letting guys go without a competent and experienced backup to take his place, tossing the whole unit under the bus and then doing nothing to bolster the unit. The continuity of this O line has been completely mismanaged over the last 4 years and that has absolutely nothing to do with Mudd. What does stand out is getting practice squad and back up quality players up to speed enough to not get our QB killed. But he is getting old and I respect your opinion.

Whoever gets the title of QB coach with the Colts has had a very easy job the last 13 years, Manning coaches himself, that coach is just along for the ride. Caldwell's biggest problem, IMO, is his game management. He can't seem to grasp how to use timeouts to preserve time at the end of halves or to let the clock be the enemy of the opposition when given those situations. He seems completely unwilling to adjust his game plan no matter how bad things are going and he takes conservative coaching to a new level.

lets just keep the faith so maybe we can win a few this season,then maybe we (the colts) will get andrew lusterious luck lol. caldwell has won games and its more or less because our captain is down and out. manning is very involved and probably really runs the team...lets just know that he will better and better than ever next season :)

Because if they did, there is absolutley no way they could let Jim Caldwell coach next week. we seriously do not deserve a win this year. i dont care if we dont have peyton, there is no reason for us to be playing this way. runs up the middle, runs to the side, throws from every angle they can come from. and we can do absolutley nothing on offense. this is embarassing. i really cant think of way to put my frustration at this point. i knew it would be bad, but not like this.

Because if they did, there is absolutley no way they could let Jim Caldwell coach next week. we seriously do not deserve a win this year. i dont care if we dont have peyton, there is no reason for us to be playing this way. runs up the middle, runs to the side, throws from every angle they can come from. and we can do absolutley nothing on offense. this is embarassing. i really cant think of way to put my frustration at this point. i knew it would be bad, but not like this.

It isnt the coach..when its 31-0 at the half,

It really would not help much throwing another coach into this mess. Yes, it would feel good knowing these coaches would not haunt us next year. It is the system and a lot of subpar players and your best player that used to cover up a lot of issues not being on the field is the problem. If you put in the patriots coaching staff with what Polian has given them to work with, they would suck olso. Got to get better players in here and a competent coaching staff. Bill Cower said he would coach again if there was a team where he could be successful right away. I guess that rules out Indy.

Between Bert Jones and Harbaugh's watch was a complete waste of time. I would listen in now and again but always knew what the outcome would be. Have not missed a game since Harbaugh came along until now. I used to miss weddings to watch the colts games on TV. This year is a write off. Lets get back Vince Tobin and Ted Marchibroda! He took us from worst to first 3 times in his career.

I have to agree that it is the coaching...it really all comes down to the coaching. Look at it like this....you have the best football mind on the sidelines and you don't give him a headset w/boom mic to talk in Painter's ear and call a play? Peyton can call a play after seeing the defense Painter will be up against while the no-huddle is being ran. That's just one thing to do.

Before last weeks game....Painter & the team had almost perfect first 1/2's then change the game plan in both second 1/2's and lose the games?

I am not saying Painter is the end all solution....but how can a coach not win games when you have had a person in the system for 3 years?

Caldwell took over a Dungy system and went to the SB. Second year...struggled to get 10-6....now looks like 0-16?