Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Caldwell/coaching (Merge)

number28

does he play CB on our team?

does he turn the ball over?

is he the one that can't play in the 4th quarter because he is too tired?

are we 0-6 because of Caldwell or because we are a soft, vanilla team with no heart and no guts?

Shouldn't we blame Manning for getting injured and ruining our pathetic little team?

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are we 0-6 because of Caldwell or because we are a soft, vanilla team with no heart and no guts?

Shouldn't we blame Manning for getting injured and ruining our pathetic little team?

Yes! How dare you get injured Peyton! Pitchforks and torches to his house!!

it was sarcasm... relax

I surely not gonna blame coaching for being the reason why all of a sudden Dallas Clark looks pathetic and our secondary is worse than a junior high team. Those are just small examples.

I think the fans need to point the finger that's why they blame coaches.

IT'S YOUR FAVORITE PLAYERS THAT ARE PLAYING LIKE CRAP THIS YEAR. FACE THE FACTS.

Caldwell deserves some of the blame, but its more on the FO... they have some really LOW QUALITY players on defense... they need to spread the money a bit more.... i really would like to see wayne back, but now i say forget it let him walk and use that money on defense.

Look at what Haurghbah(sp?) Did for the 9'ers after Singeltary was canned... and you don't think Caldwell is to blame..

Dude do you not know who the 49ers have in the middle of that defense? you should acquaint yourself to their MLB, they have a pretty good defense not to mention a stellar run game.... Hence Jim's job wasnt hard... all they did was simplify the playbook for Alex smith and BAM you have a QB thats completing passes.

I, personally, am not blaming Caldwell. I blame Irsay, Polian, and Dungy for setting Caldwell up for failure. How could they not know that he didn't know what the * he was doing? Why wasn't Caldwell shadowing Dungy on the sideline during games so he could learn how to coach? Did Caldwell even take Coaching 101? Someone please tell me why.

Turnovers, Vanilla scheme, bad CB technique all go back to coaching and preparation. The team has played hard so I don't know how you can call the team soft.

Also, a head coach has to take all the blame for coaching issues. They hire their staff, and must ultimately be accountable for their successes and failures.

Edited by GoGoColts

I don't think its any one persons fault. I think its a combination of losing the key this team is built around (get the lead, protect the lead), some terrible luck (injuries) and having to fill the holes with less than stellar players (I'm being nice) due to said injuries and cap issues. Everyone wants to blame the FO but they can only work with what they have.

Its a high risk/high reward system they're running. Put some superstars in at key positions, fill the rest in with UDFA or higher round picks. Up until '08 or '09 it worked. But then injuries started adding up.

The FO has responded by adding bulk (which in theory will produce less injuries) to key areas.

Its like Wack a Mole. You address one area, another becomes a problem. And with only one mallet, there's only so much you can do. Its how a lot of teams are. Even the great teams are only usually great for a relatively short amount of time.

Turnovers, Vanilla scheme, bad CB technique all go back to coaching and preparation. The team has played hard so I don't know how you can call the team soft.

Can't coach up what isn't there. I will ding the FO for letting Tryon go. Not that I thought he was a savior (as some play him up to be) but that he was depth that knew the system and could be reasonably expected to cover.

Two years ago, Lacey showed a lot of promise. I won't fault the FO for trying to stick with him. In fact with Powers and Lacey and some back ups we had (on paper) reason to believe the secondary wouldn't be as terrible as it is now.

The whole league has been calling the Colts soft for over a decade now. Just ask Deion. I mean comon now, this year we don't even have Peyton holding those pillows.

Comon man.

The whole league has been calling the Colts soft for over a decade now. Just ask Deion. I mean comon now, this year we don't even have Peyton holding those pillows.

Comon man.

Deion LOL... Peyton put him out of the league, so he gives the Colts no love. A soft team does not win like the Colts have. Finesse, I would accept as they rely on speed over strength.

Edited by GoGoColts

Dude do you not know who the 49ers have in the middle of that defense? you should acquaint yourself to their MLB, they have a pretty good defense not to mention a stellar run game.... Hence Jim's job wasnt hard... all they did was simplify the playbook for Alex smith and BAM you have a QB thats completing passes.

Hey dude.. maybe you should get acquainted with the colts D linemen.. Freeney and Mathis. Two pro bowlers. How about Bracket? On the flip, wayne, clark, saturday all pro bowlers. And you don't think they simplified the play box for Painter?

seems Caldwells job shouldn't be really hard.

Deion LOL... Peyton put him out of the league, so he gives the Colts no love. A soft team does not win like the Colts have. Finesse, I would accept as they rely on speed over strength.

bottom line is the whole league has been calling Colts soft for years. You know that, I know that. It's a fact.

Whether we are soft or not idk. What I DO know is that they call us soft every year. This year we are plain jello.

Hey dude.. maybe you should get acquainted with the colts D linemen.. Freeney and Mathis. Two pro bowlers. How about Bracket? On the flip, wayne, clark, saturday all pro bowlers. And you don't think they simplified the play box for Painter?

But it is. The guy has had to now for two seasons deal with injuries that would sink most teams. Only the Packers have done more with the injuries they've had. But they've also had the advantage of better draft picks for the past 5 seasons.

Given the circumstances, Caldwell has performed better than most coaches would have in the same situation.

But it is. The guy has had to now for two seasons deal with injuries that would sink most teams. Only the Packers have done more with the injuries they've had. But they've also had the advantage of better draft picks for the past 5 seasons.

Given the circumstances, Caldwell has performed better than most coaches would have in the same situation.

correction, for 3 seasons

Lol what are you talking about, brackett isnt even a starter on most teams and if he is a starter on any other team he would get benched or CUT ie clint session!!... you are missing the point "dude"... Jim didnt have too much of an over haul to do because he has good players on defense... the colts have the best tandem of DE's in probably the history of the league, but that means nothing if you have corners that cant cover... and just so you know, no the offense is not simplified for painter... he's been peytons study buddy for the past two years so why should it be.... The point is you cant compare the 49ers coach to caldwell because caldwell doesnt have a very good defense and a stellar running game to lean on.

dont give caldwell any credit for last year. if it wasnt for peyton we would have sucked last year. caldwell was not the reason we made the playoffs last year that was all peyton putting the team on his back.

bottom line is the whole league has been calling Colts soft for years. You know that, I know that. It's a fact.

Whether we are soft or not idk. What I DO know is that they call us soft every year. This year we are plain jello.

They can call us potato monsters for all I care. Doesn't mean a thing. What you have is a simplified perception of the game (smash mouth bruisers going toe to toe like a boxing match) held by many of the talking heads. They offer this perception because the majority of players and fans more readily identify with it.

What Manning and the Colts are to that perception are compared to that perception is like being a martial artist against a boxer. Manning is cerebral. He studies, finds a weakness and exploits the daylights out of it. Thats his advantage. The old guard perceives this as soft. It doesn't take much brain power to get 5 or 6 huge guys and open up a hole for the back to run through. When this strategy can be beaten by a thinker, its going to get some resistance.

Manning is smart. He's changed the way you approach a game and has excelled at it better than most.

dont give caldwell any credit for last year. if it wasnt for peyton we would have sucked last year. caldwell was not the reason we made the playoffs last year that was all peyton putting the team on his back.

And all those players that came in and played? Players from the PS? Did Caldwell just sit back and let Manning do all the work? Did Manning change the gameplans, put the best players in their positions? I'm not saying we had a great team and I'm not saying Manning didn't have anything to do with it but I AM saying he had a large part in our success last year.

They can call us potato monsters for all I care. Doesn't mean a thing. What you have is a simplified perception of the game (smash mouth bruisers going toe to toe like a boxing match) held by many of the talking heads. They offer this perception because the majority of players and fans more readily identify with it.

What Manning and the Colts are to that perception are compared to that perception is like being a martial artist against a boxer. Manning is cerebral. He studies, finds a weakness and exploits the daylights out of it. Thats his advantage. The old guard perceives this as soft. It doesn't take much brain power to get 5 or 6 huge guys and open up a hole for the back to run through. When this strategy can be beaten by a thinker, its going to get some resistance.

Manning is smart. He's changed the way you approach a game and has excelled at it better than most.

Hence why the colts are considered a Finesse team... hopefully they lose that style of offense and defense and become the type of team that can go out there and butt heads blow for blow.

Hence why the colts are considered a Finesse team... hopefully they lose that style of offense and defense and become the type of team that can go out there and butt heads blow for blow.

So long as they win I don't care if they hypnotize defenses.

Keep in mind I'm only speaking to the offense. Defense most definitely needs to have that swagger. Speed and athleticism are great but you do need some big uglies as well.

And all those players that came in and played? Players from the PS? Did Caldwell just sit back and let Manning do all the work? Did Manning change the gameplans, put the best players in their positions? I'm not saying we had a great team and I'm not saying Manning didn't have anything to do with it but I AM saying he had a large part in our success last year.

you really think that those players would have had the same impact if curtis was playing in there instead of peyton well lets see. jarvas isnt even on the team anymore, tamme is nothing, but a specatalor, and blair white does nothing but return punts

you really think that those players would have had the same impact if curtis was playing in there instead of peyton well lets see. jarvas isnt even on the team anymore, tamme is nothing, but a specatalor, and blair white does nothing but return punts

Okay. Not sure what your point is there.

The point I was trying to make is that those players were brought in and evaluated by the coaching staff. For all we know there could have been a competition between Blair White and Joe Schmo for the PS spot. Who do you think made the choice to keep White? Coaching staff.

I, personally, am not blaming Caldwell. I blame Irsay, Polian, and Dungy for setting Caldwell up for failure. How could they not know that he didn't know what the * he was doing? Why wasn't Caldwell shadowing Dungy on the sideline during games so he could learn how to coach? Did Caldwell even take Coaching 101? Someone please tell me why.

He took Coaching 101 at Wake Forrest but he flunked out.

Okay. Not sure what your point is there.

The point I was trying to make is that those players were brought in and evaluated by the coaching staff. For all we know there could have been a competition between Blair White and Joe Schmo for the PS spot. Who do you think made the choice to keep White? Coaching staff.

my point is those players are nothing now and the only reason they were worth anything in the first place is because peyton made them look good.

Here's the thing. We base all of our opinions of the coaching staff (and Caldwell) on 3 hours a week. We don't see what goes on behind the scenes. Caldwell very well could be a bad coach. But he could also be the glue keeping the team together. I said the same thing last year with all the injuries.

Sorry, but you don't call a team soft that beats you every year. What would that say about your team?

Here's the thing. We base all of our opinions of the coaching staff (and Caldwell) on 3 hours a week. We don't see what goes on behind the scenes. Caldwell very well could be a bad coach. But he could also be the glue keeping the team together. I said the same thing last year with all the injuries.

coaches find ways to win even when there superstar qb goes down ala tomlin and belichick

my point is those players are nothing now and the only reason they were worth anything in the first place is because peyton made them look good.

They're no longer with the team because the players they filled in for are now back. Blair White is no Austin Collie.

And you missed my point. The coaching staff are the ones responsible for populating the PS and depth. Do you think Manning looked at everyone in training camp and picked all of them? He's good but he's not that good.

So long as they win I don't care if they hypnotize defenses.

Keep in mind I'm only speaking to the offense. Defense most definitely needs to have that swagger. Speed and athleticism are great but you do need some big uglies as well.

Lol yea a win no matter how it comes is a win but they need to come out of that shell, cant be dubbed a finesse team these days... guys are bigger and faster and they have figured out the colts defense. The colts need to pound the rock more and get bigger in certain areas on defense.

coaches find ways to win even when there superstar qb goes down ala tomlin and belichick

Oh you mean Ben Roethlisburger (sp)? That superstar? The only thing proved when Big Ben went down was that surprise surprise, the defense is the heart of that team. With a great run game and a stellar defense, your superstar QB is not vital. Elite QB play was never vital for Pitt's success.

I won't argue Brady. BB is a genius.

Lol yea a win no matter how it comes is a win but they need to come out of that shell, cant be dubbed a finesse team these days... guys are bigger and faster and they have figured out the colts defense. The colts need to pound the rock more and get bigger in certain areas on defense.

And the coaching staff is certainly moving in that direction. Improved run game and improved run defense is evidence to that. Drake Nevis anyone?

Can't makeover a team in a few weeks.

They're no longer with the team because the players they filled in for are now back. Blair White is no Austin Collie.

And you missed my point. The coaching staff are the ones responsible for populating the PS and depth. Do you think Manning looked at everyone in training camp and picked all of them? He's good but he's not that good.

and your missing my point. those players were only good because peyton made them LOOK good. there not playing which means there were never good just a product of peyton

Oh you mean Ben Roethlisburger (sp)? That superstar? The only thing proved when Big Ben went down was that surprise surprise, the defense is the heart of that team. With a great run game and a stellar defense, your superstar QB is not vital. Elite QB play was never vital for Pitt's success.

I won't argue Brady. BB is a genius.

and what is big ben doing now? carrying his defense