Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can we please get a capable WR1?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

Pickens are slim. We've lost 3 of our 4 best weapons on offense already. Bradshaw, Allen and Wayne. The empty promise that is DHB is the biggest question mark going forward. Going into the year, the promise that is DHB should've spelled a great deal of relief if Wayne were to have gone down. Wayne has gone down, and DHB has become an empty promise. 

If DHB can just stop dropping the ball, we have a fairly known quantity in Hilton......if Brazil shows some flash and Fleener continues executing, I think we'll be fine with what we have. 

One of those guys (other than Hilton) has to emerge, or we're in big trouble going into the playoffs. I don't think bringing a player in will amount to diddly-poo. 

How has DHB become an empty promise after Wayne's injury?!

We haven't played a game without him yet! 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you that. But Luck is way further along when Brady to the reigns. Brady had a reay good defense and running game to help them win multiple superbowls.

I agree, But I will say this, Luck will have to have more consistent ball placement on his throws, Reggie has has to try to make some circus catches because of it (with most of them being successful). Everyone will have to step up there game period. Im just more confident (in my opinion.....and my opinion only I understand....realistic about or receivers doing that)

Guest TeamLoloJones

I agree, But I will say this, Luck will have to have more consistent ball placement on his throws, Reggie has has to try to make some circus catches because of it (with most of them being successful). Everyone will have to step up there game period. Im just more confident (in my opinion.....and my opinion only I understand....realistic about or receivers doing that)

In my opinion the one player that NEEDS to step up the most is Fleener.  He is going to have to become Luck's security blanket, and chain mover on 3rd down.  Fleener is going to have to be the guy we thought he was when we drafted him.  With Reggie out, I think Luck will start looking for Fleener alot.

How has DHB become an empty promise after Wayne's injury?!

We haven't played a game without him yet! 

I didn't say "and then DHB became an empty promise". You read it wrong....or I typed it wrong. Probably on my end.

DHB doesn't get open. Only 18 looks this year. Was a bit shocked that he's only been given 1 official drop in the books (as pointed out by Jvan). I dispute what constitutes a drop for a few of those, however. 

Grigs does not have the luxury of time to do that. Trade deadline is what... Tuesday? Unless you mean go forward with what we have, hope it is sufficient, deal with it for the rest of the season if it isn't, and look somewhere else in the offseason.

Yes. I believe we need to test what we have.. I doubt a trade happens.

I didn't say "and then DHB became an empty promise". You read it wrong....or I typed it wrong. Probably on my end.

DHB doesn't get open. Only 18 looks this year. Was a bit shocked that he's only been given 1 official drop in the books (as pointed out by Jvan). I dispute what constitutes a drop for a few of those, however. 

"Wayne has gone down, and DHB has become an empty promise." I see what you mean now but it certainly reads that way.

I kinda feel like Reggie has been playing well and he's obviously who Luck looks to first, then T.Y has been garnering a lot of his attention while he's been on the field, then we seem to look to Fleener fairly often and run the ball a lot. That doesn't leave much for DHB. I feel like he's been decent when he's had his chances. He certainly hasn't lived up to his reputation of having bricks for hands.

I expect him to step up in the next few games and go some way to filling Reggie's boots. The ball will be coming his way more often than it has been and he needs to take those opportunities with both hands. Literally!  :jump:

We are going to see a lot of drops and missed opportunities, but we will also see more big plays down the field.... FA WR or a trade would be pointless for this year, but it is obvious that the F.O. has to do some contingency planning for when Reggie retires or if he can't make it back... I'd say that the best bet is to look for a high upside college WR with good hands in the 2nd or 3rd round... hopefully he will get to learn from Reggie...

really DHB should be the guy, but he has consistency problems, mostly caused by poor technique, I think... lets too many passes eat him up instead of plucking them out of the air like Reggie...

Man... can you imagine how much we'd be rolling had Allen and Ballard (and now Reggie) hadn't been injured? Just having Allen back would have made a huge difference in the running and passing game...

I don't know why people think Reggie's presence is going to miraculously turn Rodgers into a level headed, reliable receiver.

Because thats how it works in movies. I can see a Rocky like montage of reggie and Rogers running up hills and what not. Rogers wants to quit. But , no way. Reggie pushes him to his limits. In the end, Darick is a pro bowler.

I don't know why people think Reggie's presence is going to miraculously turn Rodgers into a level headed, reliable receiver.

Because he's a leader. Leaders lead the way and show how it's done, if you want success.

I assume Rodgers wants success.

Look at Reggie jumping around the field, when a big special teams play happens. He's in on everything.

With his work ethics and how his career has emerged, he's the role model to look up to.

Because thats how it works in movies. I can see a Rocky like montage of reggie and Rogers running up hills and what not. Rogers wants to quit. But , no way. Reggie pushes him to his limits. In the end, Darick is a pro bowler.

Not only in movies.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed to happen. But Reggie, among others, could help show them the right path... That hard work pays of.

Problem is that followers have to choose to be led. It's on Da'Rick's (is that too many apostrophes?) shoulders.

You can say that Reggie might share some secret wide receiver formula for success but whatever Reggie tells him, Rodgers has to put in the work, the countless reps for it to pay off.

There are tons of inspirational characters that are part of the Colts organization. Reggie for his years of sure handed service. Chuck Pagano overcoming Leukemia. Luck by just being a modest, yet passionate game winner. Point is, you can pick any number of reasons that Rodgers will or will not come good.

End of the day, its on him. Not Reggie.

Hiltons the future #1

Brazills the future #2

Maybe...but Grigson will likely go after Maclin if his rehab goes well...Maclin is a UFA well known to Grigson and is a Reggie-type receiver...even has the same height/weight (6'0"/200) and great hands....and he is 25 y/o.

But we may need to 'make do' for now.

Griff did look good at Stanford.  But Fleener looked like an all pro tight end at Stanford, and that has yet to translate to the NFL.

Do we all remember that Griff was Andrew's #1 receiver in his senior year at Stanford? Do we also realize what Griff has been going through with the foot injury and the groin injury? I also know that many of you put zero stock in anything from Bleacher Report but I do find this interesting:

"In 2011, he led the team with 749 receiving yards and also added 4 scores. He missed time last offseason due to an injury but healed in time to play in the second preseason game against the Steelers. Whalen caught 4 passes for 59 yards (14.8 average) and a touchdown on 5 targets. The next week, he continued his impressive production against the Redskins by catching 8 passes for 66 yards (8.3 average) on 9 targets. At that time there was serious talk about whether Whalen would be able to sneak onto the 53-man roster, and it was generally assumed that at very least he would be signed to the practice squad. On August 27, 2012, however, he was placed on season-ending injured reserve with a broken foot. In only two preseason games, however, he made his mark by catching 12 of 14 targets for 125 yards (10.4 average) and a touchdown. Now, I agree that we shouldn't put too much stock into preseason numbers, but Whalen was very impressive in the two games he played in last year and that very well could translate to the regular season if he continues to get opportunities.

That leads us to this year. The Colts need another wide receiver to come along besides Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton. They have LaVon Brazill, but aside from him and Whalen all the other guys don't figure to be much competition at all. Considering that Wayne is getting old, having a younger guy come along and develop would be huge. That's where Whalen comes in. At only 23 years old, he very well could be the guy the Colts are looking for. If they give him the opportunities, I think he could really take advantage of it. He isn't the fastest guy (then again, neither is Reggie), but he is quick coming in and out of his breaks and is a good, consistent route runner. To me (and I'm certainly not the only one), he is a guy who could very well be another big player if he continues to develop and get opportunities."

Sorry folks, I like Griff and think he deserves a decent shot to show his skills - especially in the slot. Many of you would have given up on Fleener when he was going through his adjustment period. Let's give Griff a chance to get comfortable and see what happens.

He had one of the greatest receivers to play the game across from him.

I believe the same goes for TY with Reggie Wayne.

Though that'll change now.

Will be exciting to see who will take the biggest step forward and prove himself.

Teams aren't just lining up to give away their number one WR.  So most of the WRs on the market in a trade are on the market for a reason.  Mostly because their current team doesn't think they can true be a number one WR.  So keep that in mind when you are talking about trading for someone.  Also a trade for a number one WR is going to cost us more draft picks in a draft where we are already short handed due to other trades.  While I don't mind trading a pick here or there you can't trade away all your picks or we will end up in the same spot where we were at the end of the Polian era.  A team without a enough talent because sooner or later that catches up to you as much as poor draft classes do. 

I think you also have to factor into are you just renting this guy for a season (in which case I question the wisdom of giving up a draft pick for him) or is this guy going to be part of the team going forward and how does he fit in once Reggie is back. 

Honestly with Brazil back and us needing to find out what he can or can't do I wouldn't be shocked if we move DHB to Reggie's role, let Hilton become the deep guy and let Brazil become the third WR and either bring up Rodgers or Whalen to the main roster.  I know DHB isn't as reliable as Reggie but honestly no WR we are going to realistically get is going to be as reliable as Reggie was. 

Honestly I fully expected us to draft Reggie's successor in this coming draft but us trading away our first round pick makes that a little harder.  We might have to look at the free agent market or wait a year.  I know people are high on Hilton and that's fine but he is physically a very different WR from Reggie.  It doesn't mean Hilton can't be a future number one WR but it does probably mean he's not the first choice to fill Reggie's role.  I think DHB is the closest thing we have on the roster to Reggie at the moment.  This will be a very good chance for Hilton to prove he can be our future number one option though. 

Honestly looking long term future of the Colts seeing exactly what we have or don't have in Hilton and Brazil is probably the best option.

With that said I am sure Grigson is working the phones seeing exactly what all is out there. 

Expectations are very low. Hilton is very capable of being future #1.

For the love of all that is Holy. You have made your view known and then some. Colts don't need to make a move, Hilton is a # 1, etc. can you just assume we know your view in these threads - saves us from reading the same stuff and saves you future carpal tunnel syndrome

Do we all remember that Griff was Andrew's #1 receiver in his senior year at Stanford? Do we also realize what Griff has been going through with the foot injury and the groin injury? I also know that many of you put zero stock in anything from Bleacher Report but I do find this interesting:

"In 2011, he led the team with 749 receiving yards and also added 4 scores. He missed time last offseason due to an injury but healed in time to play in the second preseason game against the Steelers. Whalen caught 4 passes for 59 yards (14.8 average) and a touchdown on 5 targets. The next week, he continued his impressive production against the Redskins by catching 8 passes for 66 yards (8.3 average) on 9 targets. At that time there was serious talk about whether Whalen would be able to sneak onto the 53-man roster, and it was generally assumed that at very least he would be signed to the practice squad. On August 27, 2012, however, he was placed on season-ending injured reserve with a broken foot. In only two preseason games, however, he made his mark by catching 12 of 14 targets for 125 yards (10.4 average) and a touchdown. Now, I agree that we shouldn't put too much stock into preseason numbers, but Whalen was very impressive in the two games he played in last year and that very well could translate to the regular season if he continues to get opportunities.

That leads us to this year. The Colts need another wide receiver to come along besides Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton. They have LaVon Brazill, but aside from him and Whalen all the other guys don't figure to be much competition at all. Considering that Wayne is getting old, having a younger guy come along and develop would be huge. That's where Whalen comes in. At only 23 years old, he very well could be the guy the Colts are looking for. If they give him the opportunities, I think he could really take advantage of it. He isn't the fastest guy (then again, neither is Reggie), but he is quick coming in and out of his breaks and is a good, consistent route runner. To me (and I'm certainly not the only one), he is a guy who could very well be another big player if he continues to develop and get opportunities."

Sorry folks, I like Griff and think he deserves a decent shot to show his skills - especially in the slot. Many of you would have given up on Fleener when he was going through his adjustment period. Let's give Griff a chance to get comfortable and see what happens.

Morehead syndrome. Awesome in preseason against scrubs, disappears when it counts.

I'll be ecstatic if he succeeds, but I don't expect it to happen. I just don't get why some here are so high on a guy who has done nothing against anyone of note.

Morehead syndrome. Awesome in preseason against scrubs, disappears when it counts.

I'll be ecstatic if he succeeds, but I don't expect it to happen. I just don't get why some here are so high on a guy who has done nothing against anyone of note.

I dont get why so many think we have a snow balls chance at landing some top flight wr for a low second