Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Montori Hughes Progress

Bluefire4

Defensive Line Coach Gary Emanuel

On rookie Montori Hughes and his progress:

“He’s just improving in all aspects of the game. He’s understanding playing at this level and what it takes consistently to play in there. The hardest part to play for a young guy is really defensive line because you have so many offensive linemen that have so much experience and they know all the tricks of the trade so it really puts you behind the eight ball a little bit. But he’s developing, he’s getting better. He’s a tremendous athlete. He’s got great size so we are looking forward to him continuing to get better.”

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it just me or is no one from our draft really panning out. werner is average so is thronton. hughes and holmes havent played. boyett and williams were cut. cunningham is on ps

it is way too early to say that

i think thornton is going to be a really good player.  this draft could still develop into a very solid draft.

Yeah, it doesn't look too successful... BUT...Thorton is a winner on the O-line as a 3rd rounder...Werner has been hurt which will set him back in his development and playing in the system...Holmes has been hurt and also needs some strengthening up for NFL play...Boyett,Williams,Cunningham are 6th/7th rounders who are a long shot at the best of times...Hughes is a 5th rounder who is also a long shot to do anything much.

is it just me or is no one from our draft really panning out. werner is average so is thronton. hughes and holmes havent played. boyett and williams were cut. cunningham is on ps

Werner was starting to play really well he gonba be a 9 sack guy for us , Thornton is a beast I case u do t watch the games , Holmes is in development do t want to throw rookie center out thier

Not every rookie Grigson drafts will turn out to be a TY, Allen, or Ballard.

8 games into the season, no big deal. Given the time Werner is missing it could be year 3 before we start seeing consistent results. Thornton I expect we see more consistency out him and for him to take over the starting role at RG come next year. Hughes is a career rotational D Linemen I think, The chances of Boyett staying healthy for much of his career is slim to none given his reckless playing style with his body after 2 knee operations, Cunningngham was going to be a career 3rd stringer TE for us who was going to be a primarily blocking TE(Except he was pretty bad as a blocker) if he was going to make the 53 at all, Holmes needs to build strength and work on his technique but I see him starting next year especially since Satele cant stay healthy and even when he has been he is not good enough

Not every rookie Grigson drafts will turn out to be a TY, Allen, or Ballard.

Why don't these guys realize so

Somw players are projects that have potential but are exactly what they are raw , u gave to teach them fundamentals and technique and there natural talent will make them a beast , Hughes is a future project , when a second round talent drops to the 5th u take him give these guys time to develop .....jezzzz. Lol :P

8 games into the season, no big deal. Given the time Werner is missing it could be year 3 before we start seeing consistent results. Thornton I expect we see more consistency out him and for him to take over the starting role at RG come next year. Hughes is a career rotational D Linemen I think, The chances of Boyett staying healthy for much of his career is slim to none given his reckless playing style with his body after 2 knee operations, Cunningngham was going to be a career 3rd stringer TE for us who was going to be a primarily blocking TE(Except he was pretty bad as a blocker) if he was going to make the 53 at all, Holmes needs to build strength and work on his technique but I see him starting next year especially since Satele cant stay healthy and even when he has been he is not good enough

People have to relize every pick is not gonna be a hall of famer , Hughes and Werner have thier roles develop on the bench while walden and redding start , they can't learn the game etc... Why are people worrying about Hughes he was a 5th round pick , are we that bad this yr that a raw 5th round pick was gonna come in and start right away, no we have the luxury of taking chances on player like Hughes , aldengo, chapman, etc.... Because thier upside is so great at least u seem to know all player won't pan out or be starters , we have to get the rest of colts nation this secret info :P

Werner is learning a new position and yet has played when healthy....   but he hasn't been healthy that often...

Thornton has played and apparently played very well....    if Thomas was healthy, Thornton would be starting on the right side, the spot where he was slated to play when we drafted him...

Holmes is a development project, but that's not uncommon.

Hughes....    see Holmes above....

Boyett...       I hope we re-sign him in the off-season and we start all over with him next year with a clean slate.   

Williams....   See Boyett....   I hope he makes the team next year...

And Cunningham....    nothing wrong with a 3rd string tight end...  every team needs them....

This isn't a bad draft.....   it's what most drafts for most teams actually look like.    But some of us got really spoiled with all the home runs Grigson hit in the 2012 draft....      This is not a bad draft....

Just one fans view from 1800 miles away.....

If you want to know how poor Grigs is in picking talent, you only need to look at the teams the Colts have been able to beat. 

Niners, SeaBirds and Broncos.  Irsay should fire Grigs and the coaches and start over.  Probably should look for some team stupid enough to take Luck in trade while he is at it.  :hissy:

Werner was getting better and better before his injury Thorton has been really good  and Hughes we haven't seen so I cant say anything yet Holmes haven't seen yet but it wouldn't suck to see if he could play or not and Boyett it was something off the field that got him cut so don't know what to tell you there some of these players it will take a little bit of time.

If you want to know how poor Grigs is in picking talent, you only need to look at the teams the Colts have been able to beat. 

Niners, SeaBirds and Broncos.  Irsay should fire Grigs and the coaches and start over.  Probably should look for some team stupid enough to take Luck in trade while he is at it.  :hissy:

Wow!!!!!!!.

Last years draft will be one of the greatest drafts in franchise history, so if you're comparing it to this years, it doesn't stand a chance. But it's way too early to call it a bust. Werner hasn't had a chance to get his feet wet, and after Donald Thomas got injured, I think Thornton is our 2nd best O-lineman, he is very legit. Holmes and Montori are projects and will have their homecoming next year, we wont know how they pan out until then. I don't think it was a horrible draft, just not GM award-winning like last years.

Why don't these guys realize so

Somw players are projects that have potential but are exactly what they are raw , u gave to teach them fundamentals and technique and there natural talent will make them a beast , Hughes is a future project , when a second round talent drops to the 5th u take him give these guys time to develop .....jezzzz. Lol :P

Fans having abilty to wait for players to develop is so rare.

He takes Abrayo Franklin spot next year, with Chapman the starter

Franklin had been starting at NT. With Redding and RJF as out DE's. I think he is actually being groomed for Reddings spot. Should be his primary back up next year. Maybe playing some as a DT in the 4-3

We should cut them all really. If you can't produce at a HOF level day one. What good are you?

Franklin had been starting at NT. With Redding and RJF as out DE's. I think he is actually being groomed for Reddings spot. Should be his primary back up next year. Maybe playing some as a DT in the 4-3

I know he been starting, he is on a 1yr contract which leads me to say Chapman starts next year with Hughes backing him up. Hughes is 349lbs him playing Reddings position is out the window unless he drops some weight. And yea he would play DT in nickel packages

I know he been starting, he is on a 1yr contract which leads me to say Chapman starts next year with Hughes backing him up. Hughes is 349lbs him playing Reddings position is out the window unless he drops some weight. And yea he would play DT in nickel packages

Nagata played DE for Pagano. That's what they were saying about Hughes. Playing him like nagata. Said he's really fast and athletic for his size.

Nagata played DE for Pagano. That's what they were saying about Hughes. Playing him like nagata. Said he's really fast and athletic for his size.

Haloti Ngata is twice as quick as Hughes. Hughes played like a big blob NT in preseason and couldn't get off blocks when rushing in nickel. Hope he is really Is improving like the DL coach says he is. But from looking at the preseason he is no Ngata and looks more of a NT to me

Tell me where I'm wrong

2013 Draft :colts:

B. Werner: Playing well until injury bug bit him, future OLB star. Gonna take time since he's never played OLB before, but gonna be a good pick down the road

Vontae Davis: Our BEST CB hands down

Hugh Thornton: Starting guard next year definitely

Khaled Holmes: Our future center possibly. Grigson doesn't approve of starting rookie offensive linemen & battling a bit of an injury

Montori Hughes: Project player like Josh McNary & Daniel

Justice Cunningham: Possible #3 TE next season or even this season if we promote him

John Boyett: Blew his chance with criminal activity

K Willy: Possible future RB

That's not a bad draft at all