Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I think we will just roll with what we have.

Valpo2004

We might promote Whalen or Rodgers, but I don't think we'll be trading for a WR.  

My reason is that Irsay usually drops hints about this stuff via twitter before they happen and that has not happened yet.  

Also I think I would want to get on the stick quickly to give the new player the most time to learn the playbook.  

And our cap space is pretty limited right now.

I could be wrong but I'm taking the lack of anything on Irsay's twitter and the lack of action to mean that we're just going forward with DHB, TY Hilton, Brazil, Reed, and either Whalen or Rodgers.

I think Grigs is still evaluating his options otherwise he would have promoted one of those guys to the active roster by now right? 

He may just be going through his options to avoid them having to clear waivers to be placed back on the practice squad should the situation change. The bye week affords him that opportunity since the players are off anyway.....just my thought

I think Grigs is still evaluating his options otherwise he would have promoted one of those guys to the active roster by now right? 

It's possible. . . right now I believe we have a roster spot open.  

Reggie was placed on IR and Jones was waived on Tuesday.  That opens up 2 roster spots.

The same day signed a CB named Jalil Brown.  Still 1 roster spot open.

He may just be going through his options to avoid them having to clear waivers to be placed back on the practice squad should the situation change. The bye week affords him that opportunity since the players are off anyway.....just my thought

I'm not sure them clearing waivers is any scarier then any other time they are on the PS.  If they are on the PS any NFL team can sign them to their active squad for an NFL min contract with no guaranteed money.  

We might promote Whalen or Rodgers, but I don't think we'll be trading for a WR.  

My reason is that Irsay usually drops hints about this stuff via twitter before they happen and that has not happened yet.  

Also I think I would want to get on the stick quickly to give the new player the most time to learn the playbook.  

I could be wrong but I'm taking the lack of anything on Irsay's twitter and the lack of action to mean that we're just going forward with DHB, TY Hilton, Brazil, Reed, and either Whalen or Rodgers.

Three factors I think point this being the option they go with.

1) Limited cap space

2) Limited commodities to barter with. No first or 4th round pick next year as it is

3) How soon will someone they bring in before they are truly up to speed & immersed in the offense. Gotta take at least a month and by then you are in week 12. Not sure that is worth it.

Three factors I think point this being the option they go with.

1) Limited cap space

2) Limited commodities to barter with. No first or 4th round pick next year as it is

3) How soon will someone they bring in before they are truly up to speed & immersed in the offense. Gotta take at least a month and by then you are in week 12. Not sure that is worth it.

Totally agree with you.  Also if they where going to bring a new guy in you would think they would want to do it as quick as possible to give them the bye week to learn the playbook.  

But it is worthwhile to note that they have not promoted those guys yet.  So the only thing that makes sense at this point to me is that they are evaluating their options.

Roster spot is sitting open though.

I'm not sure them clearing waivers is any scarier then any other time they are on the PS.  If they are on the PS any NFL team can sign them to their active squad for an NFL min contract with no guaranteed money.  

Correct, but can they add them directly to the practice squad if claimed off waivers (thus avoiding having to cut someone from their own active roster)? I dont know that answer.

I tend to agree... It seems that at this point bringing in a new WR would not be as beneficial and rolling with what we have.  Whalen and Rogers both have chemistry with Luck from the off season.  Something that is very important in a possession receiver. 

I tend to think Whalen would be utilized more on 3rd downs given he has seemingly the best hands of the receivers on our roster.

I dont know much about Rogers but a lot of people are high on him for some reason.

We have a pretty good mix of size and speed on the roster.  Should be interesting to see how it all comes together... or if the team just crumbles.

Def. need some more consistency in our ability to catch tough balls.  Also, using Fleener more as a receiver as opposed to a traditional TE would be nice as well.

I am excited to see who steps up and how!

you have to stay where you are now.

the colts pretty much dont have any choice.

they could trade a 2 to browns for gordon but the risk is too bad.

if he gets busted then we are down a 1 2 and 4 and in same place as before

its not worth it

We still have cap space next few offseason's and can sign young proven guys to smaller contracts and it will be similar to the draft....The draft will be MUCH more important in2015 and 2016 when we have to start giving 2nd contracts and extending guys we have...Right now is the time to field our most talented teams and throw all the chips on the table...There is no guarantee we hit on draft picks and the AFC is wide open now ..

I don't believe anything has happened because most of the Organization has been off this week, we will see in due time. However, I agree with you Grigs been pretty quiet and that's either a sign that we're sticking to our current guns, or and this is a big OR... Grigs is remaining quiet in spite of his itchy thumbs wanting to tweet on something major, but just like the TRich situation, it didn't happen over night. I mean it did, but not in the sense that it only took a night to build an agreement. I'm sure nothing was said until they had a deal. He did drop hints but that was before we needed someone immediately, I'm sure this is all just a part of the plan, and we will find out what happens soon enough. 

Correct, but can they add them directly to the practice squad if claimed off waivers (thus avoiding having to cut someone from their own active roster)? I dont know that answer.

I don't think so, I think if you claim someone off waivers they have to go directly onto your roster.  

I strongly hope they activate Whalen or Rogers. If Rogers head is on straight I prefer him.

Rogers is more talented but may not be ready.

Whalen is a good possession receiver who can help the O to keep moving the chains...he also has that knack for getting open.

I would like to see them both promoted and Reed not on the 53.

I don't know how this is going to shake out, but if I was a WR or TE on the roster, I sure as heck wouldn't be taking the week off.

I'd be out at W. 56th St. studying the playbook, working on my route trees and hitting the Jugs Gun all week long.

No rest for the receiving corps!

Everybody has to step up!

I am watching my screen closely for some action, but with the one roster spot open....anything can happen.

I know a lot of the forum members want to give Rodgers the opportunity.  Yes that could be exciting good...and exciting bad IMO.

With Reggie out, we need a 'hands guy' as a possession receiver; one that will not drop the ball.  Griff Whalen has great hands if we promote from within.  Rodgers is flashier.  My concern with Griff is is ability/inability to get off of the line of scrimmage against #1s.  I think he is smart enough to find the yard marker on 3rd down too...not sure some of the others have read the memo.  :funny:

:colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!

I am watching my screen closely for some action, but with the one roster spot open....anything can happen.

I know a lot of the forum members want to give Rodgers the opportunity.  Yes that could be exciting good...and exciting bad IMO.

With Reggie out, we need a 'hands guy' as a possession receiver; one that will not drop the ball.  Griff Whalen has great hands if we promote from within.  Rodgers is flashier.  My concern with Griff is is ability/inability to get off of the line of scrimmage against #1s.  I think he is smart enough to find the yard marker on 3rd down too...not sure some of the others have read the memo.  :funny:

:colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo: !!!!

I would think that other team's CB#1 and CB #2 is going to be on DHB and Hilton.  Whalen would likely be against the CB 3 or 4.

I think Whalen is probably the more ready of the 2 to play now.  

Griggs is looking at all options to improve the Team at the trade deadline.
Sure would be nice if Da'Rick was ready to be part of the solution. He needs playing time ASAP so we can see what he has.

I expect to see more of FleenR lining up in the slot. He IS the matchup problem we drafted him to be. He has been open many times when Andrew has CHOSEN to go elsewhere. No problem,  Andrew gets it like few others, he IS the Monster!

Rogers is more talented but may not be ready.

Whalen is a good possession receiver who can help the O to keep moving the chains...he also has that knack for getting open.

I would like to see them both promoted and Reed not on the 53.

I agree on Reed! Vaughn is a much better returner and if that is the excuse for keeping Reed I just don't get it, he barely gets to the 20 every time he decides to bring it out...

I would think that other team's CB#1 and CB #2 is going to be on DHB and Hilton.  Whalen would likely be against the CB 3 or 4.

I think Whalen is probably the more ready of the 2 to play now.  

I agree totally.  I really should have said he is used to going against the backups in pre-season....this is the real deal facing starting units and such. Good point!  :)

Griggs is looking at all options to improve the Team at the trade deadline.

Sure would be nice if Da'Rick was ready to be part of the solution. He needs playing time ASAP so we can see what he has.

I expect to see more of FleenR lining up in the slot. He IS the matchup problem we drafted him to be. He has been open many times when Andrew has CHOSEN to go elsewhere. No problem,  Andrew gets it like few others, he IS the Monster!

And there still is the Donald possibility in the slot...he has been there a few times.

Lets go no huddle BBs and kick some Texan  :censored2: !!!!

And there still is the Donald possibility in the slot...he has been there a few times.

Lets go no huddle BBs and kick some Texan  :censored2: !!!!

I lie the idea of DB in the slot a lot more than Whalen, he just doesn't have NFL slot type speed...If he could add some weight he could be a good tight end/hybrid though so I wouldn't give up on him yet

I lie the idea of DB in the slot a lot more than Whalen, he just doesn't have NFL slot type speed...If he could add some weight he could be a good tight end/hybrid though so I wouldn't give up on him yet

Really need some hands to depend on...that is why I say Griff....I have no problem having DB lining up in the slot as well...he has been there several times and can get off of the ball well.

I like his running too, so why not utilize him even more 'while the gettin's good?'   He is on a roll....

I am still confused why we dropped Jones from the active roster and Hughes from our P.S.....

That, to me, means there is something a-brewin'

We dont have a choice....its too late to bring in anyone who will be able to help this season.

.and we gave away our No,.1 on T-Rich..

we only need 5 or 6 more wins

No, you're right.

I don't know if anyone watched the Pat McAfee show this week, but him and Pat Angerer both seemed pretty high on Whalen as a player. 

Apparently Whalen was acting as 'Wes Welker' on the Scout team against the starting D, and caught an insane amount of catches. Angerer even made a comment along the lines of 'He's one of the best I've ever seen'.

Of course these guys aren't coaches, but I thought it was pretty cool insight.

I don't know if anyone watched the Pat McAfee show this week, but him and Pat Angerer both seemed pretty high on Whalen as a player.

Apparently Whalen was acting as 'Wes Welker' on the Scout team against the starting D, and caught an insane amount of catches. Angerer even made a comment along the lines of 'He's one of the best I've ever seen'.

Yeah, it's not that Reggie not Wes is speedsters. They are very good route runners and very savy in when and where to get open. Great hands helps also. I think that is what Whalen can be.

That's nice to hear, especially since I am a fan of Griff Whalen. I always liked intelligent, well spoken, hard working players regardless of their perceived level of talent. I thought Pat McAfee was Griff's advocate because he wanted him as a holder so that he can also be a place kicker eventually. Really, if Griff can catch most of the balls thrown at him and gets open by running the correct routes I don't know what else the Colts want.

I also thought that if they wanted to promote him they would have done it by now so I am still not very optimistic we will see him on the 53 roster. At the same time Dom Jones hasn't yet been added to the PS either. My guess is they will do that early next week after Grigson finishes exploring other avenues and depending on the outcome of those explorations.

Guest TeamLoloJones

It does make me wonder what the problem with Whalen is...maybe blocking?  He's always getting praise, we are very thin at the position, and he played in Pep's offense in college.  Hmmm...