Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

LaVon Brazill listed as First-string WR

GoColts00

For anyone that doesn't know about Da'Rick the kid has skills. The reason he wasn't drafted in the 1st round is because he failed 3 drug tests at Tennessee and was suspended. He then transfered to Tennessee Tech, he had a game in 2012 where he was over 300yds as a wr. I wanna say he was around 1k yds and 10 tds there that season. It's on record that he passed over 10 drug tests w/ Tennesee Tech during that season. Also in the combine he was one of the top 5 performers in multiple categories... cone drill, shuttle, vert jump, long jump etc.. I think he ran somewhere around 4.5 or so and that was the big knock on him because 2 yrs prior he ran a 4.39.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone that doesn't know about Da'Rick the kid has skills. The reason he wasn't drafted in the 1st round is because he failed 3 drug tests at Tennessee and was suspended. He then transfered to Tennessee Tech, he had a game in 2012 where he was over 300yds as a wr. I wanna say he was around 1k yds and 10 tds there that season. It's on record that he passed over 10 drug tests w/ Tennesee Tech during that season. Also in the combine he was one of the top 5 performers in multiple categories... cone drill, shuttle, vert jump, long jump etc.. I think he ran somewhere around 4.5 or so and that was the big knock on him because 2 yrs prior he ran a 4.39.

but he was kicked out of the bills...i think i read coaches didnt like that he didnt listen

but he was kicked out of the bills...i think i read coaches didnt like that he didnt listen

They did cut him, but I don't think they gave him much of a chance either. He started out on the bottom of the depth chart, and was only targeted twice in both games he played in I think. One was for a td. Maybe being cut woke him up? I dunno, just saying it's worth a shot his scouting repots said that he was a good blocker and had reliable hands.

Well, he's proven enough that the coaches decided to keep him on the roster even though he was suspended.  He's proven enough that the front office does not seem to be in panic mode like many of the fans.  

You know, fans base their decisions on about 10% of the information the coaches and FO use to make their decisions.  To say he hasn't proved anything is a game is understandable but not completely accurate because the only time a fan can really see a WR is when the ball is thrown to him, we do not see the routes run, we don't know if it was the correct route or not, we do not see the communication with the QB, we do not see if he was open and the QB didn't throw to him, but it's understandable.  To say he hasn't proven anything is a statement based on ignorance because that is what training camp, film study, game plan tests, etc. is for... so the coaches know if a player is ready.

Sorry, but the coaching staff test people out in games if one proves himself in practices, training camp etc.

Obviously he hasn't done that.

I couldn't care less of how they evaluate him behind the scenes, if it doesn't translate into playing time and being efficient when playing. If they haven't trusted him enough and made him a large part of game plans, why should I?

Suddenly when Wayne goes down, he'll prove that 19 games and below 200 yards was only because he wasn't given a change? I hope you are right. I doubt it, though.

Regarding both Brazil and Rogers. If they kept Brazil even after the suspension they see something in him. Remorse? Willing to buckle down and get his act together? We don't know because we are not part if the staff but obviously they are holding into him. And If Rogers is proving his worth and trying to get better each and everyday he WILL be apart of this team. So I'm just going to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

TY is now the team's #1 receiver. Whether he is ready for the role is up for debate, but he is the best receiver on the roster now that Reggie is out. I think he has the talent and the ability-- I just hold my breath every time he takes a big hit since he looks so small out there. Brazill has a lot of talent, but like others have mentioned, he has been very up and down, mostly down, in his stint with the Colts due to poor routes and attitude. The WR core is not only young but mostly an unknown due to us having no idea what to expect from Brazill or even Rogers and Whalen if they play.

I am skeptical about Whalen. If he was as great a possession guy as people here are claiming he would have seen the field on a consistent basis before now regardless of the Reggie injury. I would think the coaching staff will see what we have from these guys though before going out and signing an outsider.

when did brazill display those poor routes and attitude?

haha really? How do you know this?

Because scouting reports are often publically posted on the internet. Just google a player and you will usually get a scouting report or two. Brazill's big knock has always been his awful route running.

Plus the whole drug suspension thing doesnt speak to great attitude.

Outside of Whalen, Brazill has the best hands on the team of the wr's that are healthy(not saying much) and is a better route runner(again not saying much) then the bigger faster DHB I think, 

wow i didnt wanna say this and get a buncha * for it, but i agree 100%. you can just tell by looking at certain players if they have it or not. 

yea his play was reallly limited last season, but look at the catches he made last year, besides that amazing TD grab against the lions.. im sure there are lavon brazill rookie highlights somewhere on the main site

Because scouting reports are often publically posted on the internet. Just google a player and you will usually get a scouting report or two. Brazill's big knock has always been his awful route running.

so you are just speculating. Gotcha

Okay I agree that I think the team should bring in another receiver. That being said are the scouting reports you are referring to the ones that say "Brazill is a savvy route runner who is quick and explosive off the line" ?  In regards to the drug suspension don't confuse personal demons with a  bad attitude.

Okay I agree that I think the team should bring in another receiver. That being said are the scouting reports you are referring to the ones that say "Brazill is a savvy route runner who is quick and explosive off the line" ? In regards to the drug suspension don't confuse personal demons with a bad attitude.

No, they would be the ones that say he struggles with technical intermediate routes, but remains a deep threat because of his jump ball ability. Also drifts off his routes at times when the ball is thrown.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/lavon-brazill?id=2532802

Unless hes improved that drastically since last year, hes known for poor routes.

No, they would be the ones that say he struggles with technical intermediate routes, but remains a deep threat because of his jump ball ability. Also drifts off his routes at times when the ball is thrown.

Unless hes improved that drastically since last year, hes known for poor routes.

Way to ignore

Strengths: Brazill is a savvy route runner who is quick and explosive off the line.

You can't just pick and choose facts. He struggles with technical itermediate routes.

it is hilarious to me that you put so much stock in scouting reports

He was first team all SEC as a sophomore and then promptly got indefinitely suspended and transferred.  Getting indefinitely suspended at a place like Tennessee is hard to do.  Dude has massive amounts of talent but he went undrafted due to his immaturity.  He's also 6'2" and had top 5 numbers in most of the combine drills.  If he gets his head on straight there's no reason to think he can't be a #1 receiver in the league but that's a massive if.

Word has it Rogers admitted failing 3 drug tests.  Gordon got indefinitely suspended from Baylor for similar activity.  Except after Rogers transferred, he played a season, and Gordon sat out. Yet Gordon gets picked up in supplemental draft (for a 2nd round pick) and Rogers not even that.  Gordon gets caught and suspended in the NFL abusing, and still  people slobber over him while daRick rots on a PS. Interesting -  Can you Imagine Gordon, Rogers, and Brazill on the same team? O_o

Demayrius Thomas was a dude that couldn't run routes.  Peyton and coaching changed that!  Luck and coaching can change any flaws Brazill has.

I wouldn't put too much stock in those depth charts right now.  The Colts are probably going to have a bit of a feeling out process between Hilton, DHB, Brazil, and whoever they sign to be a fourth WR and  whoever preforms the best is going to be the "go to guy".  I've been saying it since Reggie went down, his injury is someone else's opportunity.  We have a roster full of fairly young WRs hopefully one of them steps up and takes advantage of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm new here so cannot create a new thread.

Can someone explain to me why Brazill is getting no burn? Surely he is better than Whalen.

Do you think it's because he's still in the dog house for the suspension? Or is it that Whalen has just been outperforming him in practice? I don't know what it is, but this guy has Victor Cruz written all over him, ever since college. I seriously think the Colts would be better suited with him as their 3rd receiver (maybe even #2 after T.Y.).

Can someone explain to me why Brazill is getting no burn? Surely he is better than Whalen.

Do you think it's because he's still in the dog house for the suspension? Or is it that Whalen has just been outperforming him in practice? I don't know what it is, but this guy has Victor Cruz written all over him, ever since college. I seriously think the Colts would be better suited with him as their 3rd receiver (maybe even #2 after T.Y.).

Hey be careful now...

Apparently Brazil loves to Burn, Colts are already thin at WR, no need for the guy to get another suspension!!!

Griff didn't impress me in the Texans-Colts game. He did have a nice catch to pick up a first down that was needed, but overall he needs to work on catching the ball better. maybe griff can use the machine after DHB is done. or he could work on his "jazz hands"  :D  lol

Griff didn't impress me in the Texans-Colts game. He did have a nice catch to pick up a first down that was needed, but overall he needs to work on catching the ball better. maybe griff can use the machine after DHB is done. or he could work on his "jazz hands"  :D  lol

Agreed. He had 3 drops and could not get separation.

I'm not sure. Brazill is way more talented then Whalen though.

I'm not sure who runs better routes...

Luck is obviously more familair with Griff

..could be why.

It looks like the coaches gave him a "let's see what you got" run towards the end there as they targeted him on like four back to back plays. It also looked like he failed miserably (not sure I would blame it all on him though).

On a side note, how in the world did Fleener have 10 targets? During the game, it look as if Luck barely looked his way. Nonetheless, I think he is the true WR #2.