Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are fine at WR

danlhart87

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamLoloJones

Gordon would be a stud with Luck but his off field stuff is a thing to keep an eye on

Gordon is an absolute beast, but your right he does carry a significant risk.

Guest TeamLoloJones

It would be a shame if Grigson didn't get a  WR.  We are pulling away from the rest of the division, and this team has a puncher's chance to get HFA throughout the play-offs.   Grigson went all out to get T-RICH, when we still had a healthy Bradshaw.  I think our WR situation is now a little more dire than our RB situation was before T-RICH. 

A few people were clamoring for Gordon before Wayne was hurt.  I was about 25/75 for it/against it but now I'm 60/40 for it

I want no part of Josh Gordon.

Who would you accept thats on the trade block then? The Colts need an established WR to draw doubles so that TY can continue to operate out of the slot.

Your best options are Britt, Nicks, or Gordon. If you can come up with a better option that actually exists, by all means. But those are some of the best options available right now.

I got a great option! Dont make any trades and stick with what you got! Believe in Luck!

Thats not in the cards. The recieving corp as it stands is too inexperienced and too inconsistent to be of aid to a sophmore QB. You need someone there to take pressure off. So name a reciever they can get that improves the corp that Indy can afford that isnt one of those three.

The only reason I would say that we might need to add someone is that our receivers across the board this year have a problem holding on to the ball. I thought we ditched that problem when Garcon left. I still think most of you are under-estimating Whalen. He is more sure handed than any of our current receivers. Nobody knew who Welker was until he got a shot.

Bottom line to this whole thing with finding a receiver now is we don't know what Grigs, Irsay and Pagono are thinking. We can sit here and say maybe this and maybe that or I'd like this and I'd like that but ultmatley its their decision and non of us really know what their thinking. So for anyone to be saying something is not an option or something won't happen, sating it as if its a fact that the colts won't go in in this or that direction is silly and I would ask you to tell me how you know for a fact that's not an option or that they wont go in that direction? We really know nothing compared to what they know. As far I'm concerned anything is likely. A trade for a guy, sticking with someone in house or signing a vet free agent. Who knows?

And as far the idea of possibly letting a guy like Whalen, Brazil or Rodgers come up and give them shot and people saying they are not ready or too young. Well how is a guy ever gonna be ready if doesn't get time. You gotta give the guy a shot. You can't just always put it off put it off. Sometimes you gotta let the guy get out there and play. And for Whalen when he's been given the chance he has done pretty well so I don't see how he wouldn't be worthy of a chance at some consistent time. That's just me though.

That's what I was saying earlier when I pointed out that Wes Welker was once cut by the Chargers. I say give Griff Whalen a shot.

this is my call too. not just because he went to Stanford, but he's a reliable and viable option who plays a similar style to Reggie. not that we'll use him every down, but he could be a surprise for us.

Bottom line to this whole thing with finding a receiver now is we don't know what Grigs, Irsay and Pagono are thinking. We can sit here and say maybe this and maybe that or I'd like this and I'd like that but ultmatley its their decision and non of us really know what their thinking. So for anyone to be saying something is not an option or something won't happen, sating it as if its a fact that the colts won't go in in this or that direction is silly and I would ask you to tell me how you know for a fact that's not an option or that they wont go in that direction? We really know nothing compared to what they know. As far I'm concerned anything is likely. A trade for a guy, sticking with someone in house or signing a vet free agent. Who knows?

And as far the idea of possibly letting a guy like Whalen, Brazil or Rodgers come up and give them shot and people saying they are not ready or too young. Well how is a guy ever gonna be ready if doesn't get time. You gotta give the guy a shot. You can't just always put it off put it off. Sometimes you gotta let the guy get out there and play. And for Whalen when he's been given the chance he has done pretty well so I don't see how he wouldn't be worthy of a chance at some consistent time. That's just me though.

The problem is the Colts no longer have the luxury to risk throwing young talent out there, as there is no more sure handed safety valves on the roster that draw defense away from the younger, more inexperienced guys to allow them to flourish. They lost that when both Allen and Wayne went down.

You can certainly experiment with a young guy to see what he has, but the reciever situation at this point is rather dire, as all that really remains are the speed guys. One way or another, a move needs to be made to either shore up the depth or get a legitimate threat to allow our current depth to continue developing.

I got a great option! Dont make any trades and stick with what you got! Believe in Luck!

I appreciate you taking the high road. Having faith in teh depth already on the team is my way as well. Next man up also includes Reggie. Whether they make a move or not, I am counting on those behind him filling the role. Great view.

The only reason I would say that we might need to add someone is that our receivers across the board this year have a problem holding on to the ball. I thought we ditched that problem when Garcon left. I still think most of you are under-estimating Whalen. He is more sure handed than any of our current receivers. Nobody knew who Welker was until he got a shot.

whalen is not that good. Time to give up on that nonsense

Whalen won't get much of a shot. Our top 3 WR are T.Y. Hilton, LaVon Brazill, and Darrius Heyward-Bey, and when we use 4 receiver sets, we will likely just bump out Coby Fleener. I only see Griff Whalen playing when we need 5 WR's, which won't be that often, and we don't even know if he will be the one to get called up yet

Whalen won't get much of a shot. Our top 3 WR are T.Y. Hilton, LaVon Brazill, and Darrius Heyward-Bey, and when we use 4 receiver sets, we will likely just bump out Coby Fleener. I only see Griff Whalen playing when we need 5 WR's, which won't be that often, and we don't even know if he will be the one to get called up yet

i pray he isnt

I like the guys who are presently on the roster, and the guys who are on the practice squad.  We'll be fine I think. I've been itching to see what Darick could do.  Brazil may be able to step up.  This moment was going to have to happen at some point this year or next year any way.  We needed to get used to doing it without Reggie in the next year or so anyway.  

The problem is the Colts no longer have the luxury to risk throwing young talent out there, as there is no more sure handed safety valves on the roster that draw defense away from the younger, more inexperienced guys to allow them to flourish. They lost that when both Allen and Wayne went down.

You can certainly experiment with a young guy to see what he has, but the reciever situation at this point is rather dire, as all that really remains are the speed guys. One way or another, a move needs to be made to either shore up the depth or get a legitimate threat to allow our current depth to continue developing.

Understand your point completely. I do agree a move needs should be made one way or the other. I just hope that if we were to end up giving our 2nd or 3rd round draft pick away it ends up really paying off. And we need our draft picks in my opinion. Were a solid team but we do have a few holes we still need to fill and some depth that is needed. Be interesting to see what happens over the next week as far as developments and what not with this situation.

I like the guys who are presently on the roster, and the guys who are on the practice squad. We'll be fine I think. I've been itching to see what Darick could do. Brazil may be able to step up. This moment was going to have to happen at some point this year or next year any way. We needed to get used to doing it without Reggie in the next year or so anyway.

You make a good point Krunk! This time was coming sooner or later. Unfortunately at this moment its because Reggie got hurt but our guys outside of him are gonna have to learn how to carry the load and be reliable. It will be interesting to see how our offense fairs now without Mr Reliable. I really hope our young WR step up to the task and or whoever we may bring in if that ends up being the case.

We're weak at wr, but we don't have anything to trade, I don't really see us giving up the rest of our draft for Josh Gordon or Hakeem Nicks. If anything we'll pick up a free agent, I leave that to management. Fleener and Richardson will step up, hopefully DHB becomes a deep threat. Brazill is fast but has worse hands than any of the receivers on our team.

No we are not fine, we just lost Reggie....

Did actually read what you typed?

No one can work routes like Reggie, and he has some of the best hands in the league.

3rd most targeted WR since like 2010*, and he is targeted A LOT of times when Luck is under pressure. He also has caught the 3rd most 1st downs since Luck entered the league. He has been really important part of our success. That's something that may take time to adjust to.

Bringing in a cheap FA would be the best move, I am sure there is a decent FA that has kept themselves in shape for this type of situation...

Can't expect someone to come in and replace Reggie, but getting a veteran *cough* Deion Branch *cough* with some big game experience to come in as insurance and to lighten the load on the young guys should be a priority...