Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who will get Reggie's workload?

Ohio Colt

I mentioned this in another post, but I don't mind trading a second from a talent perspective to help mend the WR corps. Think about when we acquired Vontae. Pags just said, "hey, there's nobody we could have gotten in the second that was more talented than Vontae." Applying that same philosophy, I wouldn't be opposed to trading our second to acquire the right guy and punt on the draft. With that being said, I don't want Nicks. Speculation was that we were willing to spend a 3rd rounder on Gordon in the supplemental draft until the Browns hijacked him with a 2nd rounder. Thus far in his career I think he's shown to be worth at least that. I would have no problem with snatching him away from Cleveland. Beating the 49ers, Seahawks, and Broncos shows that we have as good a shot as any this year. If Reggie is out for any duration of time, let alone the whole season, we need to do something to give Andrew a dependable target. I don't know exactly when the deadline is since it was extended; however, if we have to make a move now is the time. With a bye week, we will have some extra time that can prove to be a huge asset. Ugh, please just be okay Reg! We need you...

DHB...

.....he came on last night and its his time...

He can be a game breaker

Great speed, inconsistent hands at best, below average to poor route runner. Cant trust him over the course of the rest of the season to be THE go to guy, I'd trust Hilton well before Bey

Quite honestly, none of the receivers have shown they can carry the team consistently. TY for as much as I love his big play ability hasn't played well last few games. DHB, well we know he has faults in his game and Fleener is just frustrating with his game. Da'rick is just another "we hope his measurables come to his game on the field" kinda player. Whalen was the only guy who caught balls and ran good solid routes. Not flashy at all, a possession type guy but exactly what we need. Luck needs that guy he can trust to just go down and get the 5 yards or 11 yards and get down. If Wayne can't get back, I think Whalen fits for the puzzle the offense needs.

If wayne is out i'd say one of three things; 1. Promote within, next man up sort of style.  2. force a trade    3. Sign a vet FA

for 1. i would say hilton becomes no 1, DHB stays 2. Brazill in the slot. Rodgers/Whalen as 4. And Reed as the 5th wr and return man.

2. I reckon we would trade for Kenny Britt, seen stories like that for a while. I'm a bit opposed to it but i honestly think an injury to Wayne could be that catalyst for that to come true. 

3. Sign someone like Stokley, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss. Someone who has been around forever and would be good for a 1 year fill in. If he wasn't in speculation for being inducted to the HOF I would consider having someone like Marvin back. Don't need to be starter quality but just someone who can contribute.

If wayne is out i'd say one of three things; 1. Promote within, next man up sort of style. 2. force a trade 3. Sign a vet FA

for 1. i would say hilton becomes no 1, DHB stays 2. Brazill in the slot. Rodgers/Whalen as 4. And Reed as the 5th wr and return man.

2. I reckon we would trade for Kenny Britt, seen stories like that for a while. I'm a bit opposed to it but i honestly think an injury to Wayne could be that catalyst for that to come true.

3. Sign someone like Stokley, Chad Johnson, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss. Someone who has been around forever and would be good for a 1 year fill in. If he wasn't in speculation for being inducted to the HOF I would consider having someone like Marvin back. Don't need to be starter quality but just someone who can contribute.

no to everything in section 3

Quite honestly, none of the receivers have shown they can carry the team consistently. TY for as much as I love his big play ability hasn't played well last few games. DHB, well we know he has faults in his game and Fleener is just frustrating with his game. Da'rick is just another "we hope his measurables come to his game on the field" kinda player. Whalen was the only guy who caught balls and ran good solid routes. Not flashy at all, a possession type guy but exactly what we need. Luck needs that guy he can trust to just go down and get the 5 yards or 11 yards and get down. If Wayne can't get back, I think Whalen fits for the puzzle the offense needs.

I disagree. Whalen gets covered to easily. It would be better to see What Rodgers has. I say cut reid and put both Rodgers and whalen in to see who does better.

no to everything in section 3

Moss if he can still get it done would be the far lesser of the two "evils" in Johnson and Owens, Not saying Im up for it but Moss is worth kicking the tires for the rest of the season if he still has it in him, I think he is comfortable at Fox though

Actually, that's really not a bad idea.  Problem is seeing how fast he can get acclimated to the system.  If we're going to do something like that, gotta do it ASAP so we can make good use of the bye.

Just give him a set number of plays for him a game till he learns the system and then turn him loose

The Colts will probably make DHB and Hilton as #1 and #2, Brazill will be #3 and Whalen will probably be signed as the #4.

Agreed...unless Grigson looks at the 0-6 teams...or surprisingly bad teams for a vet.  Nothing wrong with a possession receiver in the mix with Whalen. :thmup:

Just give him a set number of plays for him a game till he learns the system and then turn him loose

Well, and he has been a mut over the years and picked up several offenses and hasn't done terribly bad.  If anythign he could fill the role decently.  My hunch is, though, that we'll keep it in house.

Well, and he has been a mut over the years and picked up several offenses and hasn't done terribly bad.  If anythign he could fill the role decently.  My hunch is, though, that we'll keep it in house.

Problem is, do you think we can rely on Bey and Hilton and Brazill, there have been communication issues between Bey and Luck on a couple instances and his suspect (putting it nicely) hands have been well documented. Then again perhaps Da'Rick Rogers is the wild card in this BUT he has yet to play a game for us so I question whats going on with that, I think we hear something in the next 24 hours in regards to any plans

Reggie is irreplaceable.  It's such a shame.  I'm thinking he will have to evaluate whether he comes back AT ALL?  Probably not, he's just too old to deal with an ACL at that age.  He is SOOOO Clutch and such a great professional.  This is a HUGE loss, will be very tough to overcome.  Unbelievable.  Polian's sources were right.  Man, I'm crying right now.

I disagree. Whalen gets covered to easily. It would be better to see What Rodgers has. I say cut reid and put both Rodgers and whalen in to see who does better.

i do agree with cutting Reed, as he has done NOTHING to warrant a job but Da'rick has shown what? He just has measurables and nothing else. Whalen, while not a special guy has great vacuum hands like a Welker.

Problem is, do you think we can rely on Bey and Hilton and Brazill, there have been communication issues between Bey and Luck on a couple instances and his suspect (putting it nicely) hands have been well documented. Then again perhaps Da'Rick Rogers is the wild card in this BUT he has yet to play a game for us so I question whats going on with that, I think we hear something in the next 24 hours in regards to any plans

Oh absolutely.  I don't disagree with anything you said.  I think DHB has improved his hands by leaps and bounds from last year.  While he does have issues with his hands, I think he generally had a good game yesterday.  The one throw near the endzone on the sideline wasn't registered as a drop, but as far as I'm concerned, that was a catchable ball.  So his drops according to my estimation, are 2 all season long, for a drop percentage of 5.8% (drops/targets).  That's solid considering his reputation.

That being said, I'm not sure he's capable of replacing reggie.  I would love to see it, and would love to eat the crow if he proves me wrong.  I'm not seeing yet.  He's not as meticulous about his route running as Reggie is (but again, he has gotten much better as the seasons gone on). 

In any event, I'm with you, we'll hear something in the next 24 (or 48 hours).  It depends on Reggie's status first and formost, and then we'll see if we sign anyone or just bring the next man up. 

Oh absolutely. I don't disagree with anything you said. I think DHB has improved his hands by leaps and bounds from last year. While he does have issues with his hands, I think he generally had a good game yesterday. The one throw near the endzone on the sideline wasn't registered as a drop, but as far as I'm concerned, that was a catchable ball. So his drops according to my estimation, are 2 all season long, for a drop percentage of 5.8% (drops/targets). That's solid considering his reputation.

That being said, I'm not sure he's capable of replacing reggie. I would love to see it, and would love to eat the crow if he proves me wrong. I'm not seeing yet. He's not as meticulous about his route running as Reggie is (but again, he has gotten much better as the seasons gone on).

In any event, I'm with you, we'll hear something in the next 24 (or 48 hours). It depends on Reggie's status first and formost, and then we'll see if we sign anyone or just bring the next man up.

Are you saying DHB has only dropped 2 catchable balls all year by your account? You haven't watched his games, he dropped more than 2 in the San Diego game alone I believe. He has had his issues with those hands.

Are you saying DHB has only dropped 2 catchable balls all year by your account? You haven't watched his games, he dropped more than 2 in the San Diego game alone I believe. He has had his issues with those hands.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2013/

I watch the games just fine.  I don't think you watch the games because he was targeted only twice in the SD game, dropped the sure TD and caught the other one. The SD drop was his first registered drop all season.   

As far as last night.  He had the one drop.  The others were contested (IMO, but we'll see when the chart is updated) throws and thus not considered drops. 

Guest TeamLoloJones

I know one thing.  TRich better step up and play.  We can't replace Reggie. Period. But if our "franchise" running back would finally play like one, it would help.

I wouldn't mind us calling up Rogers just to see what he has. I think Fleener in particular will get a larger workload. DHB isn't reliable enough and Hilton doesn't have the routes Reg could run.

I agree on everything, but the whole thing about Hilton. No one can run routes like Reggie Wayne. However, T.Y. has learned from one of the best... and time has come for the student to step in for the teacher. Odds are Fleener will be the biggest beneficiary on the team. He will be relied upon a lot, and hopefully shows why he was drafted in that position.