Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What they're now saying about A. Luck

dw49

Funny thing but I was reading a 2012 Draft book by Nolan Narowski and the PFW staff ...the book hangs around in the bathroom. He had Luck rated at an 8.5 which is the highest I ever remember seeing in that book. he did have a negative on Luck as he said he doesn't have elite arm strength. Said he would be best suited to play in warm weather for a west coast offense. I thought  "what he God's name would he rank him now as That assessment has been proved to be hogwash ? Answer would be off the charts. I'm sure many remember P Simms saying he didn't see many NFL throws from Luck while at Stanford. Here's Simms now....

Phil Simms, on CBS's "NFL Monday QB" show:

"I underestimated almost everything about this guy. He's bigger, stronger, more mobile than I expected and has adapted to the NFL game very fast... He can do anything you want. His mechanics are flawless. He has great balance. He is big and strong. His shoulder is in the right angle that you always want. And the arm angle makes his throwing motion very efficient. He can drive the football down the field with ease."

Here are some other's ... You can see them all on Stampede Blue.

Never seen a QB who's numbers are more irrelevant - Luck is such a star, cld care less about the box score #eyetest

Albert Breer        

Maybe the most impressive thing watching Luck today is his poise in the pocket as all hell is breaking loose around him.

Couldn't agree more “@nfldraftscout: Truth RT @Aaron_Nagler: I know this sounds crazy, but Andrew Luck is underrated.”

12:48 PM - 6 Oct 2013

Andrew Luck is the real deal. He needs a nickname, like the Goofy Assassin or something

1:01 PM - 6 Oct 2013

Chase Stuart, New York Times (and Football Outsiders):

"As a rookie, Andrew Luck led one of the great N.F.L. turnarounds, taking a Colts team that was 2-14 without him in 2011 to 11-5 with him in 2012. This year, Luck has been even better, and Indianapolis, with a 13-3 record in its last 16 games and with recent victories over San Francisco and Seattle, has become a serious 
 contender.

"The No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft, Luck will probably never be able to escape the spotlight, but somehow he is still an underrated quarterback."

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2012 was a truly wacky year.

Colts getting rid of Polian and company, Caldwell and basically his entire staff.

Colts releasing the man who built Lucas Oil Stadium, the Peyton Manning himself.

Colts finished the year 2-14 and drafted another superstar prospect.

RGIII, for some odd reason, gets all the praise over a guy who is coming back game after game from deficit after deficit to lead the Colts to a 11-5 record. The same Colts team which has two rookie head coaches, one who faced and BEAT cancer, one who is in his late 60s. A rookie GM who wins Executive of the Year award as a rookie, and drafted potentially 5 starters in the draft.

All this yet Luck still loses the rookie of the year award to Mr. Flash RGIII.

And then theres 2013, Colts are 4-1, leading their division and the Texans are in shambles. 

RGIII is not even close to living up to his hype.

Andrew Luck is finally getting the recognition that he rightfully deserved from the get go.

After a completely random and wacky 2012, seems like 2013 is back to usual Indianapolis Colts business  :thmup:

I typically didn't mind if people had a negative opinion of Luck pre-draft and even in the first few weeks of the regular season, as he had a lot to prove.  To a great extent, you just don't always know how a players plays in college will translate to the NFL, not just production, but mechanics and skills as well.  But once proven wrong, as long as you own up to it, I'm find with it.  If Narowski insisted on his pre-draft opinions, he'd lose plenty of credibility as a writer and his ability to scout players, or at least QBs, couldn't be taken very seriously.

I typically didn't mind if people had a negative opinion of Luck pre-draft and even in the first few weeks of the regular season, as he had a lot to prove.  To a great extent, you just don't always know how a players plays in college will translate to the NFL, not just production, but mechanics and skills as well.  But once proven wrong, as long as you own up to it, I'm find with it.  If Narowski insisted on his pre-draft opinions, he'd lose plenty of credibility as a writer and his ability to scout players, or at least QBs, couldn't be taken very seriously.

Thing is Narowski still had him rated as the best QB to come out in years. He had him at 8.5 while the player 2nd was around 7. I believe he had RB3 at around 6.8. My point was he thought Luck was spectacular even with an arm that wasn't powerful. He , like Simms misjudged the arm strength. But he still had him as the stand alone 1st pick in the draft. No big deal , just thought I'd clear that up.

All this yet Luck still loses the rookie of the year award to Mr. Flash RGIII.

And then theres 2013, Colts are 4-1, leading their division and the Texans are in shambles. 

RGIII is not even close to living up to his hype.

Andrew Luck is finally getting the recognition that he rightfully deserved from the get go.

Along with this theme, Luck also led his team to wins over Russell Wilson's Seahawks and Colin Kaepernick's Niners. He's kind of standing alone atop the Gang of Four right now.

Funny thing but I was reading a 2012 Draft book by Nolan Narowski and the PFW staff ...the book hangs around in the bathroom. He had Luck rated at an 8.5 which is the highest I ever remember seeing in that book. he did have a negative on Luck as he said he doesn't have elite arm strength. Said he would be best suited to play in warm weather for a west coast offense. I thought  "what he God's name would he rank him now as That assessment has been proved to be hogwash ? Answer would be off the charts. I'm sure many remember P Simms saying he didn't see many NFL throws from Luck while at Stanford. Here's Simms now....

"I underestimated almost everything about this guy. He's bigger, stronger, more mobile than I expected and has adapted to the NFL game very fast... He can do anything you want. His mechanics are flawless. He has great balance. He is big and strong. His shoulder is in the right angle that you always want. And the arm angle makes his throwing motion very efficient. He can drive the football down the field with ease."

Never seen a QB who's numbers are more irrelevant - Luck is such a star, cld care less about the box score #eyetest

Albert Breer        

Maybe the most impressive thing watching Luck today is his poise in the pocket as all heck is breaking loose around him.

Couldn't agree more “@nfldraftscout: Truth RT @Aaron_Nagler: I know this sounds crazy, but Andrew Luck is underrated.”

Andrew Luck is the real deal. He needs a nickname, like the Goofy Assassin or something

"As a rookie, Andrew Luck led one of the great N.F.L. turnarounds, taking a Colts team that was 2-14 without him in 2011 to 11-5 with him in 2012. This year, Luck has been even better, and Indianapolis, with a 13-3 record in its last 16 games and with recent victories over San Francisco and Seattle, has become a serious 
 contender.

"The No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft, Luck will probably never be able to escape the spotlight, but somehow he is still an underrated quarterback."

its about time Luck gets his respect now only if Skip can admit he was wrong about Luck that guy pisses me off bad

Along with this theme, Luck also led his team to wins over Russell Wilson's Seahawks and Colin Kaepernick's Niners. He's kind of standing alone atop the Gang of Four right now.

Just the way it was always supposed to be.

2013 brings back everything to normal.

Peyton Manning is once again the undisputed best QB in the league leading the most lethal offense in the league scoring 45+ every Sunday.

Guest TeamLoloJones

The arm strength thing always baffled me.  How can a guy throw a 50 yard pass from his knees and not have arm strength.  I watched every game he played at Stanford, so when people started saying he couldn't push the ball down the field, I really started questioning my ability to correctly judge a college player's ability.  Well, who's laughing now?

And another thing...Jon Gruden was on air with Mike and Mike this morning and he said Luck should have won the Heisman and should have been ROY. 

Thing is Narowski still had him rated as the best QB to come out in years. He had him at 8.5 while the player 2nd was around 7. I believe he had RB3 at around 6.8. My point was he thought Luck was spectacular even with an arm that wasn't powerful. He , like Simms misjudged the arm strength. But he still had him as the stand alone 1st pick in the draft. No big deal , just thought I'd clear that up.

Ah, thanks.  I misinterpreted the point you were trying to make.  Even so, my comment would apply to guys like Simms or whomever else doubted him.  And Simms came back and acknowledged he misjudged him.  Like you said, no big deal.  Everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Albert Breer        

Maybe the most impressive thing watching Luck today is his poise in the pocket as all heck is breaking loose around him.

contender.

the best part of your post i liked was the " goofy assassin " name haha. he is goofy looking, but heck the kid can play the position well. that being said i do still think he needs a little work at the line of scrimmage in reading defenses. maybe im still a little spoiled over mannings constant audibles who knows lol. other then that this kid is starting to look like a future hall of famer. 

Albert Breer        

contender.

Many said that, thats why Luck , think was proday not sure but know he purposely threw into the wind to prove he had it

Great traditional pocket passers who can run when needed will be forever in the NFL.  You just can't substitute a QB who can dissect a defense before the ball's even snapped.  Luck, and I would throw Wilson in this category, are of that player type.  Kaepernick and RGIII just aren't there yet.  I said it last year and I'll reiterate it here, take away the read-option and force those guys to throw predominantly from the pocket, and they will go through the same growing pains as Luck did last year.  They have the ability to be good pocket passers, but at this point, I think it's clear that the pistol/read-option was the primary basis for their success last year. 

BTW... you ended up being right on K Williams. Not that it's anything to be happy about but it's about time you nailed something.

Great traditional pocket passers who can run when needed will be forever in the NFL.  You just can't substitute a QB who can dissect a defense before the ball's even snapped.  Luck, and I would throw Wilson in this category, are of that player type.  Kaepernick and RGIII just aren't there yet.  I said it last year and I'll reiterate it here, take away the read-option and force those guys to throw predominantly from the pocket, and they will go through the same growing pains as Luck did last year.  They have the ability to be good pocket passers, but at this point, I think it's clear that the pistol/read-option was the primary basis for their success last year. 

I don't think either guy could have led a team like the Colts to an 11-5 record. Luck did that while "experiencing the growing pains." Many of those ints were due what Arians asked him to do. Anyway... what I read about RG3 was that he would have to go through a couple rough years learning how to make the reads necessary to run an NFL offense. Shanahan decided to skip that process and run something to fit RG3. Now we'll have to just see how it goes from here with him.

Russell Wilson.. I agree a great player but he will always be handicapped by his size. Unless he grows 3-4 inches , he can't just drop back in the pocket and go through reads. He's too short to see over the linemen and survey the field. So what you could see is teams getting a little better at defending him as time goes on. But he's a really nice talent as you say. 

The return to normalcy is much welcomed.  Imagine if someone went in a coma in 2011 and woke up this week to sportstalk radio.  They'd wake up to hear that Peyton's having another MVP year and on pace to reclaim the single season TD record and that the Colts are alone in 1st place in the South....business as usual...right?  Confusion would then abound when the person finds out that the Colts are 4th in the league in rushing, their D is allowing under 16 points per game, and sees folks wearing #12 jerseys all over Indy.

I think that's a common misconception, specifically about Kaepernick. The Niners ran a lot of pistol last year, but that's just a formation. They didn't do very much read option until the playoffs, after Kaepernick had already established himself as a playmaker. And, in my opinion, part of what stymied their offense earlier this year was a rigid insistence on NOT running read option. If I were the Niners, I'd have been running read option against the Colts until they proved they could stop it, because we looked like a dog chasing its tail against the Raiders. First game of the season for the Niners, they kept Kaepernick in the pocket, and he went through his progressions like a true pro style QB, making accurate throws all over the field, short, long, and intermediate (which I think is the most telling for any QB, is how they make the intermediate throws that passing games rely on most heavily). I think Kaepernick has work to do, but he's got the makeup to be a true progression based pocket passer.

As for Griffin, from what I've seen of him, he isn't used as a progression passer. Their passing concepts are very quick and contained, mostly to one side of the field. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability, but the Redskins don't run that kind of offense. And with him not being as mobile right now, that's a big mistake on their part. But as far as being a pocket passer, I think Griffin is clearly behind the other three.

As a matter of fact, from what I've seen of Terrelle Pryor this season, I think he's better as a progression based pocket passer than Griffin. He needs refinement, but Pryor is much more advanced than I expected. He scans the field, makes pro level throws, even throws guys open. I've been more impressed with Pryor than Griffin, by a long shot.

Of course, give me Luck over the rest of them.

I think that's a common misconception, specifically about Kaepernick. The Niners ran a lot of pistol last year, but that's just a formation. They didn't do very much read option until the playoffs, after Kaepernick had already established himself as a playmaker. And, in my opinion, part of what stymied their offense earlier this year was a rigid insistence on NOT running read option. If I were the Niners, I'd have been running read option against the Colts until they proved they could stop it, because we looked like a dog chasing its tail against the Raiders. First game of the season for the Niners, they kept Kaepernick in the pocket, and he went through his progressions like a true pro style QB, making accurate throws all over the field, short, long, and intermediate (which I think is the most telling for any QB, is how they make the intermediate throws that passing games rely on most heavily). I think Kaepernick has work to do, but he's got the makeup to be a true progression based pocket passer.

As for Griffin, from what I've seen of him, he isn't used as a progression passer. Their passing concepts are very quick and contained, mostly to one side of the field. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability, but the Redskins don't run that kind of offense. And with him not being as mobile right now, that's a big mistake on their part. But as far as being a pocket passer, I think Griffin is clearly behind the other three.

As a matter of fact, from what I've seen of Terrelle Pryor this season, I think he's better as a progression based pocket passer than Griffin. He needs refinement, but Pryor is much more advanced than I expected. He scans the field, makes pro level throws, even throws guys open. I've been more impressed with Pryor than Griffin, by a long shot.

Of course, give me Luck over the rest of them.

I agree with you on Pryor.  And while I'd say that Kaepernick is ahead of RGIII, I think he's been good, but inconsistent from the pocket.  I saw him make a throw against hte Packers that only a handful of guys can make.  And then I've seen other times where he just misses his mark by a mile.  And maybe I overexaggerated it in my own head, but I felt like I saw him do that several times against the Colts.  Now of course I don't expect perfection and every QB misses targets, but if you ask me, his passing against us is what got them so far behind. 

With regard to the pistol - yeah I get that it's a formation.  That's why I usually bunch pistol and read-option together, because the option is typically ran out of that formation.  You are right that they should have run it more against us, but knowing what I know now, since that first game, we've been pretty adequate in defending it since the Raiders game.  But when I say I think the QBs success is due in large part to the read-option, I mean defending it.  Last year, while they didn't run it as much, they had their way with it like the Redskins, Panthers and Seahawks.  But just as important as running the play with success, is the threat of the read option and last year, teams didn't know what to do, it inevitably caused hesitation, and that split second is all you need to get a receiver open.  This year, teams aren't phased by it and are defending it much better.  That's why I think Kaepernick's efficiency has taken a step back.  He can't rely on it like he once could.  Since the Packers,  he's been 47 of 93 for 557 yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs for a passer rating of 62.0. 

And I'm with you, thank God we took Luck.  I know it's a week premature, but what do you think our chances are against Denver?

Guest TeamLoloJones

If Skip starts praising Luck, I'll be worried.

Me too...because that means Luck is playing for another team.  Skip hates the Colts.

At least Phil Simms admitted he underestimated Luck.  

It's never more annoying when people jump on the bandwagon and pretend they have been there the whole time when you know they havn't.  

It's a lot nicer to hear people say they where wrong when they get on the bandwagon late.

He's certainly standing alone.  After the RG3's knee injury and struggles, Kap being made to look stupid by both the Seahawks and the Colts, and then the Colt's beating Wilson's all stars, Luck is looking like the top of the young QB class by far.   

I think the critics of Luck's arm strength may have been fooled by his delivery.  Just like the ball looks different when Rodgers or Griffin or Manning throws, it looks different when Luck  throws it too.  I guarantee you he throws it farther than Peyton and nobody is talking about Peyton's delivery as he is on record pace.

I think the critics of Luck's arm strength may have been fooled by his delivery.  Just like the ball looks different when Rodgers or Griffin or Manning throws, it looks different when Luck  throws it too.  I guarantee you he throws it farther than Peyton and nobody is talking about Peyton's delivery as he is on record pace.

Actually I remember reading an article that was posted here about Luck at Manning's QB camp. Manning was kinda ribbing Luck about his delivery. He said Luck didn't seem to throw with much effort but the ball would come out with plenty of zip.

I think the critics of Luck's arm strength may have been fooled by his delivery. Just like the ball looks different when Rodgers or Griffin or Manning throws, it looks different when Luck throws it too. I guarantee you he throws it farther than Peyton and nobody is talking about Peyton's delivery as he is on record pace.

Actually, I heard talk of how weak Manning's throws are now but that it didn't matter because of the otherworldly abilities he possesses or whatever.

I'm sure that each QBs throw is little different. Does it really matter as long as the football gets from QB's hands to receiver's hands way over there? Heck, he can granny-throw it if it works.

what I read about RG3 was that he would have to go through a couple rough years learning how to make the reads necessary to run an NFL offense. Shanahan decided to skip that process and run something to fit RG3. Now we'll have to just see how it goes from here with him.

actually they're sticking to the plan with him; from the beginning it was laid out as a three year process to develop him as a passer and ease him into things. Start with what he's comfortable with and build from there. That's why you won't find me making any absolute statements as to his worth; just his potential. The injury does set him back a little bit, but part of the frustration you saw this offseason wasn't just the injury, but he feels he's ready to take on more in the passing game; he was actually lobbying for that at the end of last year too. The lumps he's taking now weren't unexpected...or at least shouldn't have been (injury not withstanding). No one said he was a pro-ready passer. :)

As for Luck, no one is really shocked that he's the fastest out of the gate, so it wasn't terribly newsworthy last year. Some jealousy out there it seems ;)

I agree with you on Pryor.  And while I'd say that Kaepernick is ahead of RGIII, I think he's been good, but inconsistent from the pocket.  I saw him make a throw against hte Packers that only a handful of guys can make.  And then I've seen other times where he just misses his mark by a mile.  And maybe I overexaggerated it in my own head, but I felt like I saw him do that several times against the Colts.  Now of course I don't expect perfection and every QB misses targets, but if you ask me, his passing against us is what got them so far behind. 

With regard to the pistol - yeah I get that it's a formation.  That's why I usually bunch pistol and read-option together, because the option is typically ran out of that formation.  You are right that they should have run it more against us, but knowing what I know now, since that first game, we've been pretty adequate in defending it since the Raiders game.  But when I say I think the QBs success is due in large part to the read-option, I mean defending it.  Last year, while they didn't run it as much, they had their way with it like the Redskins, Panthers and Seahawks.  But just as important as running the play with success, is the threat of the read option and last year, teams didn't know what to do, it inevitably caused hesitation, and that split second is all you need to get a receiver open.  This year, teams aren't phased by it and are defending it much better.  That's why I think Kaepernick's efficiency has taken a step back.  He can't rely on it like he once could.  Since the Packers,  he's been 47 of 93 for 557 yards, 3 TDs and 4 INTs for a passer rating of 62.0. 

And I'm with you, thank God we took Luck.  I know it's a week premature, but what do you think our chances are against Denver?

Last things first, I think we have a chance against Denver, but it's going to require efficient scoring and good interior defensive line play. Good coverage goes without saying... We'll see how that goes.

Back to Kaepernick, he's not totally polished, but he's not just a running quarterback, as the saying goes. He has the tools to be a pocket passer. My problem is that they're trying to neuter his running ability, rather than weaponizing it. They've gone to the other extreme, trying to keep him in the pocket rather than exploiting his ability to run the ball. Like I said, I would have read optioned the Colts defense until I was convinced it wouldn't work anymore. So I see it differently than you do. You're saying that the threat isn't as high, and I'm saying the threat isn't as high because they're not running it enough. Doesn't really matter, like we both have said, he's not nearly as polished as Luck or Wilson.

Last things first, I think we have a chance against Denver, but it's going to require efficient scoring and good interior defensive line play. Good coverage goes without saying... We'll see how that goes.

Back to Kaepernick, he's not totally polished, but he's not just a running quarterback, as the saying goes. He has the tools to be a pocket passer. My problem is that they're trying to neuter his running ability, rather than weaponizing it. They've gone to the other extreme, trying to keep him in the pocket rather than exploiting his ability to run the ball. Like I said, I would have read optioned the Colts defense until I was convinced it wouldn't work anymore. So I see it differently than you do. You're saying that the threat isn't as high, and I'm saying the threat isn't as high because they're not running it enough. Doesn't really matter, like we both have said, he's not nearly as polished as Luck or Wilson.

I can agree with that.  He isn't a running QB, as the term has been loosely defined (and incorrectly stigmatized at that).  To be honest, to the extent it were possible, I'd model my pass plays (probably more accurately, blocking scheme) to give Kaepernick the ability to run when the pass play breaks down.  "Not as polished" is probably the most accurate description.  I think he can be a very good QB from the pocket, provided said polishing occurs.  He is an absolute threat if you can get him into space.  If he can become a threat while standing still, so to speak, there's no reason to think he can't be a top 5 QB in due time.  I expect that after the big name QBs such as Brady and Manning retire, Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, are very much in the conversation as the leagues best QBs if they maximize their potential.  The next few years will be very exciting much like when the late 90's elite class of QBs retired and Manning, Brady, Brees surfaced.  Historical, to say the least.