Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Daniel Adongo-sports illustrated

BronxColtNYC

I wish the Colts would have a Daniel Adongo watch.  It would be stupid and criticized by most, but for us Colts fans, we're anxious to see what our coaches think of him.  We don't hear anything about him, but I'm curious to know of his progress.  Because quite frankly, I've been following him since our signing him to the point that, if he is going to be a solid player, I want to buy his jersey for being invested in watching the project.  Im' not expecting the next top 5 LB, but I still wanna know.  It's the kind of thing that you root for him hoping he'll be a good player. 

Going from $12000 to $400,000 is a nice pay rise.  Even some of the top tier rugby players don't earn that much.

As Umaga said he lacked game sense to excel in rugby and I imagine that will also trouble him in American Football. But American Football is far more structured than rugby so fingers crossed he picks it up, excels and eventually makes the 53.

Hopefully the scouts will continue to look at other potential rugby players if Adongo is successful, particularly the Samoan players.

Going from $12000 to $400,000 is a nice pay rise.  Even some of the top tier rugby players don't earn that much.

As Umaga said he lacked game sense to excel in rugby and I imagine that will also trouble him in American Football. But American Football is far more structured than rugby so fingers crossed he picks it up, excels and eventually makes the 53.

Hopefully the scouts will continue to look at other potential rugby players if Adongo is successful, particularly the Samoan players.

Your right on the $400,000 . That's the minimum for players that make the 53 man roster. However practice squad players make no where near that amount. It can vary a bit but generaly , it's very close to $100,000. Surprising but true.

For those asking about his progress I think this part provides some answers

"As a scout team player, Adongo—who has bulked to 261 pounds by “eating a lot more meat than I ever have”—plays against the offensive starters during the week and has quickly become a somewhat welcome annoyance. While simple play-action can fool him—“He might be out on 56th Street before he realizes the ball went another direction,” Grigson says—Adongo chases down running plays from the backside with a rare zealousness, earning the ire of offensive linemen who take every opportunity to blow him up.

“He’s always around the ball, and he gives a lot of effort, sometimes a little bit more than the offensive line would like,” says tackle Jeff Linkenbach. “It does get a little chippy at times, but right after that little chippiness everything’s cool and he’s just smiling and we’re smiling back.”

Your right on the $400,000 . That's the minimum for players that make the 53 man roster. However practice squad players make no where near that amount. It can vary a bit but generaly , it's very close to $100,000. Surprising but true.

The article said he signed a $400,000 1 year deal with the Colts so won't he get paid $400,000? (sorry I have no idea how NFL contracts work).

The article said he signed a $400,000 1 year deal with the Colts so won't he get paid $400,000? (sorry I have no idea how NFL contracts work).

I think the author was a little uneducated on how the contract read. Pretty sure the 400K would have been if he made the 53 man roster. Then he gets waived and then resigned to the practice squad. That's a brand new contract which pays around $6,000 per week. 

PS players can make whatever the team decides to pay them. There's no limit. However $400k would be pretty high

I would think the author be referring to the first contract he signed ... which would be the league minimum...$405,000 . Little more likely than the Colts cutting him and resigning him to the practice squad for $400,000 which would be approximately 4 times the average pay for a PS player.