Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

sherman says wilson is better than luck.

Stephen

It's hard to support either QB as the end-all be-all best...both are great QBs and either would be celebrated if they fell to either team in the draft.  Pete Carroll (and Schneider GM) had their sights set on Russell the year prior to the draft and actually were targeting him for rnd 2...when they saw how the draft was playing out they opted to pick up Bobby Wagner (great pick) in round 2 and made a gamble that Russell would be there at pick 75.  I read that they picked him just before Philly who wanted him at the next pick.   

I'm sure they knew Luck and RG were probably going 1 and 2.  Situations reversed, both teams would love to have the other QB (Russell vs Wilson).  As far as Sherm saying he thinks Russell is better...just his opinion, but I have not heard Sherm ever say anything he doesn't believe to be true.  And Russell Wilson is a special player, very smart and a leader (he has our whole team believing)

As far as watching Sherm this week...I highly recommend it.   As a hawk fan who has talked with him and seen how he interacts with fans and kids, he is a class act, but on the field he is a tough opponent. Just watching his coverage on plays...Sherm is talented and just a heartbeat away from making a big play every time.  His trash talking has decreased this year and usually if he is trash talking, it is in response to the same, (he usually is not the one starting it).  Also, he will give props to any player that has a good play or game against him.  In a recent interview, he laughed when asked about his type of trash talk and said " you can't just say You Suck, you have to have some fun with it and be creative"

I highly recommend watching the NFL films story on Sherm.

The game this week will be a tough one, for both teams.  There will be a lot of talent on the field (on both sides).  Win or lose, I love games like this (but I do like them better when we win).  Injury free and good luck to you guys too

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sherman was Luck's team mate in Stanford, I'm surprised that he could make that comment with a straight face.

Its a team thing. You never say another guy is better than your guy. If Richard Sherman was here in Indianapolis, he would've said Andrew Luck is better.

He talks too much for my taste, but it's part of his game. He likes to get in people's heads and he's good at it...AND he backs it up. I got no issue with it. Best way to silence a guy like that is to outplay him. If you can't do it, then you're going to get an earful. But if he wants to talk smack, let him talk smack. Part of the game. And as for the original quote, I don't think it qualifies as smack talk. He's just backing up his QB. He's supposed to.

And for whoever called him an *, that's just plain wrong. He's a smart guy who does good things off the field. In a game where too many players throw away opportunities by getting DUIs or worse, I'll take Sherman's talking and conduct off the field any day.

So what you're saying Mr. Grigson is that you're considering working your magic to bring Richard Sherman here to Indianapolis? Ah, I see :thmup:

That's arguable. Vontae has definitely been solid for us since day one. Barring injury, he's easily our best CB. Barely hear his name called during games. Except last week cause obviously Blaine Gabbert didn't get the memo about not throwing to Vontae. He should've asked Matt Schuab about that

You never hear his name called because he doesn't get thrown at...and as you pointed out, when he does get his name called it is because they made a mistake and threw at him and he gets an interception.

I have always said about CB's, O-Lineman, and longsnappers -- if you don't hear their name being called, it is probably for the best, because it means that they are doing their jobs.

No doubt, Sherman is very good -- in fact he may be the best CB in the league -- but I think Vontae is definitely top 5, perhaps even top 3, and not all that far off of Sherman.  He doesn't make a whole lot of noise, has had some past issues (I think it was mainly just a bad attitude in Miami) and had some ups and downs the beginning of last year .. but since the last quarter of the season last year he has had just about nothing but ups.  He is a fantastic tackler, and he is on every WR that I have seen him play this season like white on rice.  Both are young guys, and both will probably continue to improve -- I just hope that Vontae can continue to play like a top 3 shut-down corner and keep on keeping his mouth shut.

Sherman's smack talk rep is so overblown and so ridiculous , I'm shocked knowledgable fans would still be bringing it up .

It was Tom Brady who told Sherman " See me after the game when we win " well they lost and Sherman made sure that Tom knew that .smack talk ? Yea Tom Brady smack talk ! I'd say Sherman said what any man would say in that situation

When we played Detriot he called himself Opitimus Prime , if you call that smack talk , then your fun factor is really low .

The stuff with revis and Harbaugh that's more media then it is fact , but Harbaugh has slighted Sherman twice when attempting handshakes and that Harbaughs issue not Sherman's , when people see it on national TV you know he's going to get asked about it ? That's not on Sherman.

You never hear his name called because he doesn't get thrown at...and as you pointed out, when he does get his name called it is because they made a mistake and threw at him and he gets an interception.

I have always said about CB's, O-Lineman, and longsnappers -- if you don't hear their name being called, it is probably for the best, because it means that they are doing their jobs.

No doubt, Sherman is very good -- in fact he may be the best CB in the league -- but I think Vontae is definitely top 5, perhaps even top 3, and not all that far off of Sherman. He doesn't make a whole lot of noise, has had some past issues (I think it was mainly just a bad attitude in Miami) and had some ups and downs the beginning of last year .. but since the last quarter of the season last year he has had just about nothing but ups. He is a fantastic tackler, and he is on every WR that I have seen him play this season like white on rice. Both are young guys, and both will probably continue to improve -- I just hope that Vontae can continue to play like a top 3 shut-down corner and keep on keeping his mouth shut.

:agree:

South Beach was definitely not good for Vontae. Glad he's here & glad Mr. Grigson took the chance on him. I believe Richard Sherman is only loud mouth due to his team. When you're apart of a secondary labeled the "Legion of Boom", obviously smack talking will be apart of that. But Sherman is a class act. Went to Stanford so he's obviously very intelligent & does good things off the field. But he just has a high competitive nature and he voices it that's all. Doesn't make him a bad person like some people are trying to make it seem like it does

So what you're saying Mr. Grigson is that you're considering working your magic to bring Richard Sherman here to Indianapolis? Ah, I see :thmup:

If it was within my power, absolutely.  Gawd, could you imagine?  Sherman, Vontae, Toler, Bethea, and Landry?  It would be the nastiest secondary in the league and it wouldn't even be close. 

I disagree. This is not the Peyton days anymore. This team is very good and only getting better. This new Colts team would have a shot at winning with Matt Hasselbeck. 

As far as who is better between Luck and Wilson. Only the media asks those questions so they have something to talk about. Given the choice, all 32 front offices would choose Luck every time and that includes the Seahawks. 

Just because the Colts are good, doesn't mean they're at the Seahawks level. I like Seahawks defense and depth on defense much better than what the Colts have. Their run game is better too, which is essential for a young QB. I think the Seahawks would win more games with Wilson out than the Colts would with Luck out.

not sure what a "derp" is, but just to make sure people are aware...Sherman has a degree from Stanford and is working on his masters, so I would say he is fully aware of how his talk and actions are perceived.

Compton, Calif. The LA Times profiled him in 2005 as he turned down USC (Pete Carroll) and became the first player in 20+ years from Compton Dominguez H.S. to get a Stanford scholarship, on the combination of his 4.1 GPA and 2-way football athleticism (WR / CB).

A followup LA Times story in Jan 2012 notes that Sherman completed his Stanford undergraduate degree and is now close to completing his Master's degree. (He returned to Stanford as a Master's student for his final year of eligibility.)

not sure what a "derp" is, but just to make sure people are aware...Sherman has a degree from Stanford and is working on his masters, so I would say he is fully aware of how his talk and actions are perceived.

Compton, Calif. The LA Times profiled him in 2005 as he turned down USC (Pete Carroll) and became the first player in 20+ years from Compton Dominguez H.S. to get a Stanford scholarship, on the combination of his 4.1 GPA and 2-way football athleticism (WR / CB).

A followup LA Times story in Jan 2012 notes that Sherman completed his Stanford undergraduate degree and is now close to completing his Master's degree. (He returned to Stanford as a Master's student for his final year of eligibility.)[/

Crazy like a fox

Just because the Colts are good, doesn't mean they're at the Seahawks level. I like Seahawks defense and depth on defense much better than what the Colts have. Their run game is better too, which is essential for a young QB. I think the Seahawks would win more games with Wilson out than the Colts would with Luck out.

We may see this season play out to where that is the case. It is certainly one direction things can go in.

That said; it is also very possible that the Colts prove to be the real deal at most, if not every position.

The Colts have already had success at every level of the offense and defense this year.

Sherman's smack talk rep is so overblown and so ridiculous , I'm shocked knowledgable fans would still be bringing it up .

It was Tom Brady who told Sherman " See me after the game when we win " well they lost and Sherman made sure that Tom knew that .smack talk ? Yea Tom Brady smack talk ! I'd say Sherman said what any man would say in that situation

When we played Detriot he called himself Opitimus Prime , if you call that smack talk , then your fun factor is really low .

The stuff with revis and Harbaugh that's more media then it is fact , but Harbaugh has slighted Sherman twice when attempting handshakes and that Harbaughs issue not Sherman's , when people see it on national TV you know he's going to get asked about it ? That's not on Sherman.

This must be Richard Sherman secretly disguised as a Colt fan, I mean no one would have this much time to spend defending a well paid Seattle player with this much attention to detail.

I disagree. This is not the Peyton days anymore. This team is very good and only getting better. This new Colts team would have a shot at winning with Matt Hasselbeck. 

As far as who is better between Luck and Wilson. Only the media asks those questions so they have something to talk about. Given the choice, all 32 front offices would choose Luck every time and that includes the Seahawks. 

I almost feel this confident about this team, If they beat Seattle, San Diego, & Denver then they are the team to beat. Hasselbeck didn't impress me too much in the preseason, so I don't want to start thinking this is the 2000 Ravens.

I almost feel this confident about this team, If they beat Seattle, San Diego, & Denver then they are the team to beat. Hasselbeck didn't impress me too much in the preseason, so I don't want to start thinking this is the 2000 Ravens.

Please don't confuse my words. :) I do not believe we are the 2000 Ravens. I do believe we could win games with Hasselbeck though, and that is something we could not do in the Peyton days. We have a better all-around team right now than when Peyton played here. 

A followup LA Times story in Jan 2012 notes that Sherman completed his Stanford undergraduate degree and is now close to completing his Master's degree. (He returned to Stanford as a Master's student for his final year of eligibility.)

Athlete + Major Div 1 Program + Communications degree ... you're right his intelligence is undeniable.

How and the hell does someone get a 4.1 GPA?

OMG a teammate said his guy was better than the other guy.  Color me shocked! Getting upset that Sherman said Wilson is just grasping at straws so you can have something to bash the guy on.

I get he rubs people the wrong way with his style of play on the field, but I would kill to have that guy on our team.  He is just one of those guys you hate him, but would love him if he was on your team.

Saying he epitomizes everything wrong is a bit of a stretch.  You can do a lot worse than a guy born in an area that you have a 1 in a 91 chance of being a victim of a violent crime and then overcome where he lived to become a professional athlete, graduated from Stanford and is working on your masters.  Hell, he is a great example of work hard and you can succeed, but hey because he talks trash and is a nasty player, just like Laron Landry, he is a terrible person.  

How and the heck does someone get a 4.1 GPA?

the philosophy of "weighted" classes isn't that hard to understand, students who take "more difficult-weighted" classes like Calculus, Physics, etc. get a bit more credit for the A than students who take the "easier-regular" class...

Compton Dominguez H.S. obviously feels that a student who gets B's in Advanced Placement classes should have a similar GPA than students who get A's in Home Economics...

Even though Sherman is obviously fairly intelligent, he is starting to come across as a diva-esque, arrogant, blow-hard...

He backs up his talk on the field, but he is not even in the same building, or block for that matter as a player like Reggie Wayne in regards to class...

I am sure after Sherman's tweeting wars with Revis, media heads are somewhat "baiting" him to get the interesting quotes, I know I would, and with Sherman's familiarity with Luck it is not at all surprising something like this would come out.

I am really interested to see who has the upperhand in the game & whether or not their so-called familiarity with each other playing together at Stanford is a factor in the game or not...

Please don't confuse my words. :) I do not believe we are the 2000 Ravens. I do believe we could win games with Hasselbeck though, and that is something we could not do in the Peyton days. We have a better all-around team right now than when Peyton played here. 

True, the run defense has improved since the days of the  bend but don't break years! the enigma for the 00's colts was Jim Sorgi. I don't think anyone will ever know if he could win a game start to finish at the NFL level, thankfully Peyton never missed a game for 13 years, and when he did the offense was his creation (w/Tom Moore) no one could take his place (2011)until they overhauled the system for Andrew. still Jim lasted a long time on the bench, possible QB coach down the line? (Gary Kubiak, Jason Garret)

the philosophy of "weighted" classes isn't that hard to understand, students who take "more difficult-weighted" classes like Calculus, Physics, etc. get a bit more credit for the A than students who take the "easier-regular" class...

Compton Dominguez H.S. obviously feels that a student who gets B's in Advanced Placement classes should have a similar GPA than students who get A's in Home Economics...

It is not hard to understand and it makes sense; however, not a formula we use in Evansville. We have the #1 ranked school in the state; Evansville Signature School, and it is also ranked 23rd in the nation. It uses a 4.0 grading scale. 

As far as my knowledge all of our schools use a 4.0 grading scale. 

By taking Honors classes.  Some Honors classes grade an A  @ 4.5  or 4.3

That makes sense. I like the idea. My teenagers take honors classes and get graded on the same GPA scale as teenagers who don't. The only advantage is that in honors classes they can earn college credits.

I'm thinking back to my High school days and at 17 years old, I did not have a 4 point anything.  Probably should give the guys high school rep a break.  Out of his class, it appears he was pretty good.

Being a hawk fan and having been to many practices and events where Sherm was participating.  All I have seen is a hard playing guy, not someone who backs down from anything and most times having fun and quite a goofball on the field.  Whenever he is around fans or kids, he is the guy you love to see running over to talk with the kids (and adult fans) with a big smile on his face.  Most of his "trash talking" is in response to some other trashing by the other player.  The media loves making him into the trash talking corner, but all I see is a talented kid that probably goes a little too far on his post game interviews (but he sure has heart).  Whenever he has been explaining something on his interviews, he has usually been right, but then carries his opinion just a little too far.  So talented player, hell yes, bad guy no...could he handle his interviews better, yeah probably 

I would first like to say that im am NOT using this to try to say this is proof Russell Is better, i know Russell happens to be in the perfect situation and all that. But i dont think Luck and Wilson are as far off as some people make it seem. This is something another seahawks fan posted on reddit
yJnDdS4.png

I would first like to say that im am NOT using this to try to say this is proof Russell Is better, i know Russell happens to be in the perfect situation and all that. But i dont think Luck and Wilson are as far off as some people make it seem. This is something another seahawks fan posted on reddit

yJnDdS4.png

Least that graphic isn't biased at all.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Least that graphic isn't biased at all.

Funny how it leaves out the one stat that Luck is beating Russell in.  Rushing TDs... Luck 7 Wilson 4

Hey all,

Not sure where the original comment was from, but this is straight from Sherman re: Luck, from the pre-game presser (apologies if my transcription is off - he talks fast):

"That's my guy. That's my guy, man. He's an incredibly perspicacious guy. He's incredibly intelligent at the line of scrimmage, he's uses great verbiage, he recognizes defenses quickly, he's probably one of the most intelligent quarterbacks out there. The way he reads coverages, the way he reads the game. I heard Doug say he's going to be one of the best ever and I'm gonna have to agree with him there because you've seen, we've seen him develop, […] his first couple of years when he was a freshman he could've started for a few NFL teams then."

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Seahawks-at-Colts-Preview/37bf5cfb-fc5f-465a-bc49-26b0a04a116e

[sherman@2:25]

If that's trash talk, I gotta wonder what high praise would sound like.

Anyhoo, may the best team win tomorrow. Cheers!

Go 'Hawks!

Hey all,

Not sure where the original comment was from, but this is straight from Sherman re: Luck, from the pre-game presser (apologies if my transcription is off - he talks fast):

http://www.seahawks.com/videos-photos/videos/Seahawks-at-Colts-Preview/37bf5cfb-fc5f-465a-bc49-26b0a04a116e

[sherman@2:25]

If that's trash talk, I gotta wonder what high praise would sound like.

Anyhoo, may the best team win tomorrow. Cheers!

Go 'Hawks!

welcome to the forum, always glad to hear from other fan bases points of view, hope you enjoy it here

Sherman is stupid but thats why they play the game right we will see on sunday and beyond i think luck in the long run will win more superbowls than wilson and he is really going to talk trash after his team was lucky to escape houston with the win. Also wilson didnt really do that much in that game.

It is awfully hard to do much of anything when you go up against the #2 defense in the NFL and you are missing 3/5 of your starting line.  Awfully hard, but Wilson got the job done and the Seahawks put yet another one in the "W" column.