Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pep Hamilton: It’s “shocking” we could get Trent Richardson

HarassedOffTheSite

From PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton finds it shocking that the Browns were willing to trade Trent Richardson, and Hamilton believes his offense is going to benefit from that shocking decision.

“It was shocking that we would have a chance to acquire such a commodity,” Hamilton said. “I think it’s just awesome. It’s an awesome deal for the Colts and the Colts fans to have an opportunity to have such a special young player on the roster now.”

Hamilton said he sees Richardson as a three-down back who can do everything a running back is asked to do in the Colts’ offense.

“I almost stayed up overnight watching his season from last year, just watched his snaps of Trent in a Browns uniform,” Hamilton said. “But I went back and watched some of his college film as well just to get a feel for what he’s comfortable doing. There’s no can’t-dos with this guy. He’s a great combination of power and speed. He has good field vision. He can play without the ball. He can catch the ball as well. I’m excited for our entire football team and the organization to be a part of a unit that has a chance to be special.”

Hamilton sounds like he’s ready to call for a whole lot of handoffs to Richardson, starting on Sunday in San Francisco.

Colts spent a 1st rounder on a RB but who's to say we weren't going to draft a WR anyways (for those who wanted oline this coming draft)? Apparently the colts feel like we will be fine without a 1st round pick and I'm fine with that. I like the trade personally. It's 2 games into the season and we can actually get 3rd and 1 by running the ball. That's rare to see in colts nation these days. Yeah it is frustrating that we can't seem to give luck any time to throw the ball but this is how I look at it. I've been reading browns forums and the fans reactions and how the fans feel about what Richardson did while he was there and it all came down to 3 things every time. The reason Richardson couldn't ever do anything (900+ yards last year with consistent 8 man in box looks. along with broken ribs) is because opposing teams would stack the box along with a horrid oline and bad QB play. Those 3 things seemed to be put on repeat as I would continue reading. The colts are not in panic mode. I don't see how this is not a good move. The colts are 5th rushing (granted its 2 games in) but when is the last time we were ranked top 5 rushing at any time in the past how many years? This at least means colts oline is at least a little bit better than the browns oline. Who is our QB guys? Andrew luck. While he's no Peyton manning he's miles better than any browns QB. And that is why Trent will not have to rush against 8 guys nearly as often. And if they do continue to show the same look, Andrew is just going to burn you. My friends, Trent Richardson means less blitzes, less sacks, and more first downs weather or not its through the air or on the ground. Andrew luck will feed off of Richardson, along with the other way around. I can't see how we have lost when it comes to this trade. But I guess we will see come the rest of this season.

Colts spent a 1st rounder on a RB but who's to say we weren't going to draft a WR anyways (for those who wanted oline this coming draft)? Apparently the colts feel like we will be fine without a 1st round pick and I'm fine with that. I like the trade personally. It's 2 games into the season and we can actually get 3rd and 1 by running the ball. That's rare to see in colts nation these days. Yeah it is frustrating that we can't seem to give luck any time to throw the ball but this is how I look at it. I've been reading browns forums and the fans reactions and how the fans feel about what Richardson did while he was there and it all came down to 3 things every time. The reason Richardson couldn't ever do anything (900+ yards last year with consistent 8 man in box looks. along with broken ribs) is because opposing teams would stack the box along with a horrid oline and bad QB play. Those 3 things seemed to be put on repeat as I would continue reading. The colts are not in panic mode. I don't see how this is not a good move. The colts are 5th rushing (granted its 2 games in) but when is the last time we were ranked top 5 rushing at any time in the past how many years? This at least means colts oline is at least a little bit better than the browns oline. Who is our QB guys? Andrew luck. While he's no Peyton manning he's miles better than any browns QB. And that is why Trent will not have to rush against 8 guys nearly as often. And if they do continue to show the same look, Andrew is just going to burn you. My friends, Trent Richardson means less blitzes, less sacks, and more first downs weather or not its through the air or on the ground. Andrew luck will feed off of Richardson, along with the other way around. I can't see how we have lost when it comes to this trade. But I guess we will see come the rest of this season.

Nicely put my friend. I'd much rather trade for a known entity than trust the lottery of the draft. We are not exactly kings of day one drafting, are we?

Whats "shocking" is with Andrew Luck at QB the Colts want to be a ground n pound offense.

I know it's shocking to a fan base used to the Peyton Manning aerial attack of the latter half of his career.  But I found this interesting tidbit.  The ONLY times Mark Sanchez was relevant (IE: made the playoffs) was when he had a solid ground n pound running game behind him.  Rex pretty much always has his D house in order.  But if Sanchize was devoid of the run game, he was ... well... Sanchize.  If it can help him, just think what things would open up for Andrew Luck!  Defense will always be on their heels.

He also will help keep Luck upright by being a back who picks up blitzes better than Brown.

The threat of a good running game will elevate Luck to a higher level.

And protect him. I think this was an alternative move. I think since we couldn't get our hands on a lineman, our next step was to get our hands on a back that could keep defenses honest, and mad we did we hit a home run with that. 35$ mill to spend next year and I see this line being improved.

a month ago..we said that Bradshaw was special....what changed?

IMO he is still special. Backs get tired and have to be substituted for. Bradshaw was brought in to sub for Ballard and now he can do the same for Richardson which hopefully keeps both healthy.

I know it's shocking to a fan base used to the Peyton Manning aerial attack of the latter half of his career.  But I found this interesting tidbit.  The ONLY times Mark Sanchez was relevant (IE: made the playoffs) was when he had a solid ground n pound running game behind him.  Rex pretty much always has his D house in order.  But if Sanchize was devoid of the run game, he was ... well... Sanchize.  If it can help him, just think what things would open up for Andrew Luck!  Defense will always be on their heels.

This....exactly.

And indeed....and along the same lines, what better example can there be than last year's Super Bowl Champion Ravens.

Some here on the Forum are happy to lampoon Joe Flacco as a barely average NFL QB and at the same time are unwilling make the connection in how much the very solid Ravens O-line and run threat and solid defense carried them to win the SB....relentlessly sounding the alarm that running the football somehow means that Andrew Luck will become another 10 attempt per-game QB like Bobby Douglass of the Bears back when they sucked.

Bottom line: The trenches, running the ball and stopping the run and overall time of possession are boring compared to the sugar-high of a great passing attack.

Well....let's not mince words...Peyton Manning, arguably the greatest QB of all time, would have ZERO Super Bowl rings were it not for the rushing attack versus the Bears that day.

Fast forward....the Colts offense here and now is NOT the either/or situation it often is made out to be and your Sanchez/Jets illustration is a good one....as is the Flacco/Ravens comparison.

I believe we're being set up to do both very well....and the Richardson trade IMO has accelerated it.

There is more building to do for sure but I'm 100% happy with the blueprint.

TR doenst play on 3rd down..at least he didn't in Cleveland

Even if this ends up true, so it will be Bradshaw on the field, who had the best pass blocking efficiency stats for a RB in the NFL according to analysis by Pro Football Focus.  I would be shocked to see Brown keep the third down role now, even had the reply of fourth and ten from last week not been replayed a million times on every sports network.

a month ago..we said that Bradshaw was special....what changed?

Just thinking that stating someone is special, does not mean that there may be someone more special out there. Three years before PM was let go by this team, it would have been nearly unanimous that the thought of a rookie QB coming in and outdoing PM's first year numbers would be nearly impossible. But then came a rookie that was more special in his first year.

Even if this ends up true, so it will be Bradshaw on the field, who had the best pass blocking efficiency stats for a RB in the NFL according to analysis by Pro Football Focus.  I would be shocked to see Brown keep the third down role now, even had the reply of fourth and ten from last week not been replayed a million times on every sports network.

I could care less about who the 3rd down back is, because both are great at protection...AS LONG AS ITS NOT DONALD BROWN