Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trent Richardson in Colts Blue (picture)

danlhart87

Here's the reaction from some of our favorite :coltslogo: players. Patty Mac's is HILARIOUS imo haha

@DariusJButler: Wowsers!

@DominiqueJones5: Wow I bet nobody saw this coming but that's a great pickup for us!!!! Welcome to Indy Trent lets goooooo #coltstrong #btm

@PatMcAfeeShow: Well.. I'm pretty pumped we traded our 2014 1st round pick... No way we pick up a punter in the 1st round now... WOOO..Welcome to Indy Trent

@MattOverton_LS: BTM BABY!

@The_Boss61: Welcome to the fam bruh. Jump on this ride and help us continue building this monster. #coltsstrong http://t.co/s8eejuVzqH ←Josh Chapman

@theDHB85: WoW! Crazy! #BTM

@VontaeDavis23: WOW

@GosderCherilus: Wow!! #BTM

@Freakyjean99: That backfield looking good folks. ←Ricky Jean

@VickBallard: In the meantime supporting my team. Welcome to the fam T-Rich!

@C_Harnish: I would say the monster grew stronger today! #BTM

@RobertMathis98: #iDIGG

I would say Bradshaw is far from thrilled.. Thought he had the starting gig when Ballard went down and actually played well last week IMO.. But he is a 1 year stop gap if you ask me

And I really do hate it for Ballard.. But it is a business and he will be coming off a major injury. Should give him plenty of time to recover and be a more than dependable backup/rotational guy in the future

I would say Bradshaw is far from thrilled.. Thought he had the starting gig when Ballard went down and actually played well last week IMO.. But he is a 1 year stop gap if you ask me

And I really do hate it for Ballard.. But it is a business and he will be coming off a major injury. Should give him plenty of time to recover and be a more than dependable backup/rotational guy in the future

I still think Vick gets plenty of carries when he comes back. Don't wanna ride the horse too hard before the playoffs.

Plus, I think we only have Bradshaw on a one season contract anyways. Trent we have him on a 3-season I believe. Trent is the new future RB of our franchise for that reason. Ahmad is just there to serve in short yard situations and as a stop gap, and if he doesn't like it, that's fine too. Vick Ballard is waiting in the wings once he's healthy to replace him.

Just about every media expert I have heard tonight loves the trade for us and is scratching their head to why the Browns are doing this this early. 

It tells me that we better get used to the single WR formations because the Colts are going to commit to the run.  We now have two backs who thrive with pounding it up the gut all day long and when Ballard is back next year I think we'll let Bradshaw walk and Ballard will be the back up to Richardson.  Running up the gut works well for Ballard too. 

Now that doesn't mean the passing game is going to disappear.  As we saw on Sunday they will still throw the ball with Andrew Luck.  So don't freak out.  Also people have been begging us to do it differently than we did with Manning when he was here.  Well committing to the run and spending free agent money on defense is doing just that.  As we saw with New England when they were winning Super Bowls, a solid D, a good ground game and a Super Star QB can lead to wonderful things come playoff time. 

The line is clearly still not fixed 100% of the way yet.  I know a lot of people are upset because we didn't do anything for the line.  Well we had a chance to get Richardson we might not have had a chance to get a stud o-lineman.  Teams generally aren't lining up to give them away in the middle of the season.  Irsay said something on twitter about not seeing this one coming so it could be the Browns called us and said hey we know you need a running back... 

Also the guys Grigson brought in are still getting established, Thornton will start his first game on Sunday, GC is still learning the offense, Thomas looked very good in the limited time we saw him.  Hopefully as the season goes along Holmes progresses to the point he can get on the field before the season is over.  If those four guys pan out that leaves us with Castonzo who isn't a super star tackle but is solid and has been our best lineman in recent memory.  I also wouldn't rule out the Colts maybe going for another lineman this off-season rather it be with a draft pick or free agency.  Either way I feel better about our line this season than I have in recent years.  While the line might not be what we want right now I at least feel like there is reason to be hopeful for the future which isn't something we have been able to say about it in recent memory.

I would agree the o-line has been very suspect in pass protection but the run blocking has been improved.  I'd also point out running the ball is one way to protect the QB from getting hit. 

All and all I think this is a good move because we now have two of the top three picks in the 2012 draft which was viewed as one of the deeper first rounds in recent memory.  To get him we gave up what we hope will be a late first round pick in draft that is being viewed as not as deep as in recent memory.  Also Richardson is easily the best running back we've had since Edge before his knee injury.  If we are going to be a power running team we might as well have an elite back to do it with.  Is there risk involved?  Sure.  We could bomb this season and end up losing a top five pick.  Richardson could end up not being that good.  All kinds of things could go wrong.  However, no deal doesn't involve risk. All and all I think the risk is worth taking.  If Richardson works out we could end up with the best young QB in the game with the best young RB in the game along with a Hall of Fame WR and another super star in the making WR.  That makes for a scary offense if we can get any kind of line play at all. 

^Most I read think the Browns are losing it.

And to make it even funnier the Jags fans are losing it now too since they believe the Browns are competing for the first pick. lmao lmao

Of course we still have plenty of Colts haters who think we are THE SUCK no matter what we do.

That would be called towing the company line......he is not a happy camper in reality. I would guess Bradshaw is less than thrilled as well.

If anyone is shaking in their boots it is Donald Brown... I don't see DB being around much longer, or Bradshaw. A Vick Ballard/ Trent Richardson combo sounds scary with Williams behind them.

Hard to not look good as a member of our boys in blue.

If anyone is shaking in their boots it is Donald Brown... I don't see DB being around much longer, or Bradshaw. A Vick Ballard/ Trent Richardson combo sounds scary with Williams behind them.

Hard to not look good as a member of our boys in blue.

I think Brown was probably mentally prepared for the fact that he is not going to be a Colt much longer. Ballard thought he had earned himself a starting spot. Bradshaw thought he was getting the opportunity to spotlight his talents for his next contract. Ballard/Richardson is going to be a nice combo next year. I doubt Bradshaw fits into that. However, I really like the sound of Richardson/Bradshaw this year.