Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Dungy says he would consider benching RG3 IF...

GoColts8818

the Redskins fall to 0-3 AND he doesn't improve his play.  Dungy thinks Cousins is more suited to run a from the pocket passing game that the Redskins are using at the moment.  Harrison backed him up by saying he had the same knee injury RG3 had and knew he wasn't back a year later and pointed out this is the second one of those RG3 has had.  He also pointed out playing QB is different because you have guys at your feet a lot and when you've had that injury you are scared about if your knee will hold up.  Harrison pointed out that he thinks the Redskins rushed RG3 back because of how fast Peterson came back from his torn ACL.  He seemed to think that could be a dangerous trend for players recovering from this kind of injury but they aren't all Peterson. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt the knee is physically fine - more often than not, the actual physical healing doesn't take nearly as long as the mental recovery and regaining the trust in your body. Plenty of studies and research articles written on that stuff if anyone is inclined to look for it. Because of that, I don't agree with the assessment that he was rushed back, especially given the heat and scrutiny the entire team took for what happened at the end of last season.

But yes, there is most certainly a mental hurdle he has yet to overcome; it took Peterson a good month into the season before he looked normal again. Brady didn't look fully back to his old self for a whole season after returning. It largely depends on the player.

As for Cousins vs Griffin, yeah Kirk is a more polished pocket passer - this isn't news to anyone. Griffin was drafted on potential and they supposedly have a plan for his development. Not going to be an overnight process by any means. My question instead is why they're running the type of offense they're running right now? Hardly any boots, rollouts, or moving pockets...Griffin is sitting back behind a very suspect line (yes I think the line is very suspect in a traditional dropback offense) taking some good hits. Night and day difference in play calling and scheme.

but eh...just my observations.

I don't doubt the knee is physically fine - more often than not, the actual physical healing doesn't take nearly as long as the mental recovery and regaining the trust in your body. Plenty of studies and research articles written on that stuff if anyone is inclined to look for it. Because of that, I don't agree with the assessment that he was rushed back, especially given the heat and scrutiny the entire team took for what happened at the end of last season.

But yes, there is most certainly a mental hurdle he has yet to overcome; it took Peterson a good month into the season before he looked normal again. Brady didn't look fully back to his old self for a whole season after returning. It largely depends on the player.

As for Cousins vs Griffin, yeah Kirk is a more polished pocket passer - this isn't news to anyone. Griffin was drafted on potential and they supposedly have a plan for his development. Not going to be an overnight process by any means. My question instead is why they're running the type of offense they're running right now? Hardly any boots, rollouts, or moving pockets...Griffin is sitting back behind a very suspect line (yes I think the line is very suspect in a traditional dropback offense) taking some good hits. Night and day difference in play calling and scheme.

but eh...just my observations.

Heck Brady still goes nuts if you get in the same zip code as that knee.  That's pretty much what Harrison was saying tonight that RG3 doesn't have the trust yet and that till you get it you are always thinking about it and if you are thinking about that you aren't focusing enough on being a QB. 

RG3 stats aren't bad at all but we all know he's getting most of it in garbage time.  The Redskins were one of the worst 3rd down teams in football and mostly because of RG3, he's nowhere near a pocket passer as Luck or even Tannehill. I don't think they'll bench him but you worry more a guy like him getting injured again because of his playing style. It's not if Cousins will start this year but when, it's just a matter of time.

Everytime Dungy opens his mouth it always confirms that he was and is one of the most overrated coaches of all time. He and Harrison must have been been smoking some of Miller's week during that long lightning break.

This quote from Abraham Lincoln perfectly sums up their "thoughts": "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Everytime Dungy opens his mouth it always confirms that he was and is one of the most overrated coaches of all time. He and Harrison must have been been smoking some of Miller's week during that long lightning break.

This quote from Abraham Lincoln perfectly sums up their "thoughts": "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

so you're saying rg3 looks good right now?

Maybe if he'd stop doing Subway commercials, shoe commercials, posing for front cover magazines... He can do those AFTER he becomes successful. Guess all it takes is a fast 40-time to make headlines.

well he did win the Heisman, the rookie of the year, and help lead his team to the playoffs and division title, something that is rare in DC in the last 20 years or so . . .

so you're saying rg3 looks good right now?

He is still getting his feet under him after the reconstruction. Brady looked shaky his first few games in 2009. By mid-season he looked more like the old Brady. To bench him now is ridiculous. Not to mention they were not going to beat Green Bay anyways with that defense which is more the story fo the skins then RG. No one expected him to look like the old RG right off the bat with no practice, no preseason.

He is still getting his feet under him after the reconstruction. Brady looked shaky his first few games in 2009. By mid-season he looked more like the old Brady. To bench him now is ridiculous. Not to mention they were not going to beat Green Bay anyways with that defense which is more the story fo the skins then RG. No one expected him to look like the old RG right off the bat with no practice, no preseason.

did you see what the niners did to that green bay d? The redskins are in big trouble

did you see what the niners did to that green bay d? The redskins are in big trouble

And the niners have one of the top Os in the league and have the Packers number. Rodgers lit them up too as he does with most teams but you can't expect to be competitive if you let the other team on its first four possessions. Game was over by half time despite RG having a good second half.

Gee, there is a lot of crap on both ends of the spectrum here.

Sure RG3 is off to a slow start, but it is highly premature for Dungy, or anyone, to suspect that RG3 is going to get benched or should be benched.  He just needs to get acclimated.  Not many QBs looked good in week one of the preseason.  No reason to suspect that RG3 would in week 1.

As for the hype being premature... all of these guys played one full season, and pretty much all of them showed more positive than negative.  That is unheard of for a draft class.  Not a single Jamarcus Russell in the group.  I swear, two games in and some are looking for major changes where they simply aren't needed.  Patience is required.

well he did win the Heisman, the rookie of the year, and help lead his team to the playoffs and division title, something that is rare in DC in the last 20 years or so . . .

Nope, successful players and huge talents don't get to make commercials or wear crazy socks. It's a new rule that's been developed.

:bored:

He shouldn't be benched because he's a bad player.  He should be benched because it doesn't seem like he's ready to play yet.  It's probably too late to pull him now, but it's looking more and more like Cousins should have started the season.  Maybe Griffin should have gone on the PUP list?

Sure RG3 is off to a slow start, but it is highly premature for Dungy, or anyone, to suspect that RG3 is going to get benched or should be benched.  He just needs to get acclimated.  Not many QBs looked good in week one of the preseason.  No reason to suspect that RG3 would in week 1.

As for the hype being premature... all of these guys played one full season, and pretty much all of them showed more positive than negative.  That is unheard of for a draft class.  Not a single Jamarcus Russell in the group.  I swear, two games in and some are looking for major changes where they simply aren't needed.  Patience is required.

I don't know, I think Weeden could give him a run for his money...lmao

did Adrian peterson do any of that nonsense? Make the entire pregame about himself and then lay an egg after his return last year?

Adrian wasn't the second overall pick and is not a superstar quarterback. Though I am sure he received some kind of attention pre-game when he returned from that devastating knee injury.

Adrian wasn't the second overall pick and is not a superstar quarterback. Though I am sure he received some kind of attention pre-game when he returned from that devastating knee injury.

he was a Heisman winner, seventh overall pick, had done much more in the nfl than Bob, and he ran out of the tunnel like a normal player. He didn't do the kneel down with the flag twice drawing all the attention to himself. Oh, and he went on to be the MVP of the league

Dungy and Harrison alluded to the whole AP phenomenon and the fact that players are being rushed back from serious injuries bc of AP's freakishly fast recovery from his ACL surgery. Every player is different. That's what they were talking about, benching him until he's fully healthy. And sorry, but with that cell phone tower around his knee, he's not 100%...he isn't a RB. He's a QB who looks terrible right now when it counts. Don't put this all on the D, RG3 just hasn't been the same.

Sure RG3 is off to a slow start, but it is highly premature for Dungy, or anyone, to suspect that RG3 is going to get benched or should be benched. He just needs to get acclimated. Not many QBs looked good in week one of the preseason. No reason to suspect that RG3 would in week 1.

As for the hype being premature... all of these guys played one full season, and pretty much all of them showed more positive than negative. That is unheard of for a draft class. Not a single Jamarcus Russell in the group. I swear, two games in and some are looking for major changes where they simply aren't needed. Patience is required.

i think his bigger point is that RG3 just isn't ready yet and if he can't be himself he shouldn't be out there not that he would bench him and give up on him.

Perhaps, but here is the thing.  RG3 is just not the same guy when he's not a huge threat to take off and run with it.  

It changes how you defend against them and RG3 is not going to play well if he's in the pocket all the time.  

If he can't take it and run with it, then maybe Kirk Cousins should have started the season.  

Perhaps, but here is the thing.  RG3 is just not the same guy when he's not a huge threat to take off and run with it.  

It changes how you defend against them and RG3 is not going to play well if he's in the pocket all the time.  

If he can't take it and run with it, then maybe Kirk Cousins should have started the season.  

I would agree with you IF that was the issue but it's not. RG is throwing off his back foot either because he still fears a reinjury or needs to get used to new mechanics because of the brace. Even when he does not run, he is one of the most accurate passers from the pocket and that part is missing because his transfer of weight is off like Jaws noted in the preseason. The only way to fix that is to keep playing him until he gets more comfortable. Very few QBs other than maybe Favre can miss the whole preseason and come out with no rust.

I would agree with you IF that was the issue but it's not. RG is throwing off his back foot either because he still fears a reinjury or needs to get used to new mechanics because of the brace. Even when he does not run, he is one of the most accurate passers from the pocket and that part is missing because his transfer of weight is off like Jaws noted in the preseason. The only way to fix that is to keep playing him until he gets more comfortable. Very few QBs other than maybe Favre can miss the whole preseason and come out with no rust.

After having a full game under his belt, he should have come out better.  

Who knows though, maybe he gets it back and makes another late season run.  But he hasn't looked good and I think a huge part of that is that he just isn't the same guy unless he can run.  

I dunno how you do that, but :hippie: :cool:

Thing is RG3 is healthy enough to play, and it would send a LOT of the wrong signals to start Kirk Cousins.  If he's healthy, you play him.  It'd be no different if Luck was out there an threw 4 picks.  You still stick with him and give him a chance to grow as a player.

I won't say that their chances are better with RG3, but they need RG3 in a bad way.  Kirk Cousins may be a decent talent, but he is no RG3.  If RG3 is given time to practice more as a pocket passer, he can develop yet another skill set as a pro QB.  At this point in time, it's about getting RG3 up to speed.  That may hurt the team, in the here and now, but it makes the most sense for the future.  If they did it any other way, you could have a McNabb situation all over again (2 minute offense benching in favor of Rex Grossman).

All in all, RG3 just needs to get warmed up.  I'm sure they'll be fine when it starts clicking for him.

Thing is RG3 is healthy enough to play, and it would send a LOT of the wrong signals to start Kirk Cousins.  If he's healthy, you play him.  It'd be no different if Luck was out there an threw 4 picks.  You still stick with him and give him a chance to grow as a player.

I won't say that their chances are better with RG3, but they need RG3 in a bad way.  Kirk Cousins may be a decent talent, but he is no RG3.  If RG3 is given time to practice more as a pocket passer, he can develop yet another skill set as a pro QB.  At this point in time, it's about getting RG3 up to speed.  That may hurt the team, in the here and now, but it makes the most sense for the future.  If they did it any other way, you could have a McNabb situation all over again (2 minute offense benching in favor of Rex Grossman).

All in all, RG3 just needs to get warmed up.  I'm sure they'll be fine when it starts clicking for him.

Don't know if it's just a question "of getting warmed up." The big question on RG3 going into the 2012 draft was how long it would take him to learn how to be a more "conventional " type QB... more in the mold of NFL QB's not college stuff. Many figured it could be around a two year learning process. What Shanahan decided to do was mold to Washington offense to fit RG3's skill set. Hence we saw a QB that rushed for 900 yards in about 14 games and we know all the rest .. no need to elaborate on how he was not your drop back QB. 

That said , he gets his bell rung in Shanahan's offense . Concussion , knee surgery ... big hits on not a big guy. So he comes back with a healthy knee and J Andrews publicly states that  he should not be running the read option. Evidently he feels two knee reconstructions in 4 years is enough for a while. Well guess what ... maybe those that doubted he could come from that spread thing they ran at Baylor and transform quickly to the NFL game might have been right. These are reads that he probably has never been asked to make and just maybe it's not going to be a quick process. 

So maybe "rust " as you imply or maybe a little more than that. It will be interesting to see if Shanahan starts to run an offense that looks a little more like 2012's. I think this will be the case unless it's just rust as you say.

he was a Heisman winner, seventh overall pick, had done much more in the nfl than Bob, and he ran out of the tunnel like a normal player. He didn't do the kneel down with the flag twice drawing all the attention to himself. Oh, and he went on to be the MVP of the league

Griffin was a Heisman winner. 2nd overall>>>>7th overall. Of course he's done more, he's been in the league since 2007. Griffin just got here and he is already impressing early on as well. There are still many chances and years ahead for him to compete for MVP as well.

Griffin was a Heisman winner. 2nd overall>>>>7th overall. Of course he's done more, he's been in the league since 2007. Griffin just got here and he is already impressing early on as well. There are still many chances and years ahead for him to compete for MVP as well.

my point is, a far more accomplished player doesn't go out of his way to make it about himself. unlike Bob

my point is, a far more accomplished player doesn't go out of his way to make it about himself. unlike Bob

Griffin is a kid. He likes the flash and the attention, it's not surprising. And did you watch AD's return? How do you know it wasn't about him? What Griffin did is no different than what happens when someone sees a team's best player come out of the tunnel first beating his chest or dancing ala Ray Lewis. It's nothing new, and the fans loved it. It'd be a different story if he was in another team's stadium but he was at home performing for the home crowd.

Griffin is a kid. He likes the flash and the attention, it's not surprising. And did you watch AD's return? How do you know it wasn't about him? What Griffin did is no different than what happens when someone sees a team's best player come out of the tunnel first beating his chest or dancing ala Ray Lewis. It's nothing new, and the fans loved it. It'd be a different story if he was in another team's stadium but he was at home performing for the home crowd.

and quite the performance it was.... i think he wore himself out during the pregame

Griffin has smarts , a strong quick release and an accurate arm. Shanahan had two choices in 2012. Run an offense that his doctor just said he shouldn't be running or teach the kid to learn how to read defenses and operate from the pocket like all the MVP's , HOFer's that now head the lists of all time great QB's . Even without considering what Andrews says , if you go by history Qb's with great rushing yardage often had careers cut short by concussion issues. Where we are now is he hasn't proved that he can excell from the pocket like he's being asked to do.