Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

mathis's play during the preseason

CR91

quote from brad wells

"As he's been all preseason, Robert Mathis was invisible last night. He failed to record a single tackle and he was no-where near the quarterback, Brandon Weeden, when the Colts blitzed. For as sensitive as Mathis gets when writers like Andrew Mishler make logical observations about his limitations, Mathis has done nothing this preseason to dispel the perception that he is little more than an average player without Dwight Freeney to draw double teams."

agree or disagree

quote from brad wells

"As he's been all preseason, Robert Mathis was invisible last night. He failed to record a single tackle and he was no-where near the quarterback, Brandon Weeden, when the Colts blitzed. For as sensitive as Mathis gets when writers like Andrew Mishler make logical observations about his limitations, Mathis has done nothing this preseason to dispel the perception that he is little more than an average player without Dwight Freeney to draw double teams."

agree or disagree

Note the source.

Brad Wells, the king of making a mountain out of a mole hile.

Dude is just aggravating to me.  If Mathis was such a bad player why did we resign him?  Seems to me Wells always has to find a problem.

Yep, he usually comes across to me as a typical (over) reactionary fan. I've never read anything that he's written and thought, 'this guys really sounds like a true professional of sports journalism'.

JMO

First off, consider the source.

Beyond that, I spent a lot of time watching the Ravens defense in 2011 once Pagano came over, specifically watching Suggs. He would be easy to miss most of the game, but make four or five big plays. He had zero sacks in nine games that season. Still won DPoY.

So I am not worried about Mathis being a statistical nonfactor in the preseason. After the first couple of plays against the Bills, he has been fine. I think he will be very good this season.

Well let's take the worst case situation and say that Mathis does not produce in the D this year (lack of tackles, sacks, FF, pressures) is there even a single person in this forum that thinks that Mathis' motor has diminished in any way and that he will not play all out on every play chasing, running, hustling, never giving up on any play? So if that would happen that he could no longer produce impact plays in the D then couldn't we  just move him back to special teams (where he started) and that motor would produce like it did when he played special teams in his first couple of years cause that's what special teams is (speed, size, heart and hustle).

quote from brad wells

agree or disagree

I think it has been said enough, first, check the source.  You do realize, Brad is on the forums and most likely crying because he gets very upset when people question what he writes.  Heck, he removed me from his twitter feed because I made him cry one day.

I disagree about Mathis not being near Weeden.  He was the person that almost got Weeden twice when we put them on the 4 yard line.  He had the QB on the run.  Even if he didn't get the sack/safety, he made him throw the ball away.  Will Mathis be a force?  I am not sure, Freeney did help him be productive, so if our other pass rushers can step up and not allow teams to just double and triple him, I think Mathis will still produce.

I just want to say.....EVEN THOUGH IT IS PRESEASON!  LOOK AT ALL THOSE TURNOVERS!

quote from brad wells

agree or disagree

Good god, Mathis is not just a above average player without Freeney, obviously it has more to do with Mathis playing a 3-4 after playing 4-3 his whole career. the author also failed to note Mathis was actually better than Freeney in this scheme? Also Mathis wasn't completely invisible to be fair, he had a few pressures and I don't think he played as long as the rest of the starters.

I will say this though, IMO, Werner has much more potential in this scheme than Mathis.

Just an observation from first two games, I think they had him dropping back in pass coverage more often to work on his coverage skills, saw him break up a pass or two. Also, he has seen very limited time to allow Werner more snaps. It's preseason, why waste mathis's talent now.

Brad Wells just bugs me, because he reminds me of a type of Colts fan, football fan I don't like. Type of fan who sings the praises of every " hyped" player in the NFL but thinks of his own team as just ok or above average. Type of fan who freaks out every time we lose.

No it's worse than that, his writing probably promotes this kind of thinking amount some Colts fans.

If anyone thinks that D coordinators are not dealing with Mathis in their plans, think again. He is relentless and sic tough.

Brad Wells, is like an impetuous child....he just keeps getting more irritating until someone pays attention to him.

Pleeeeeease, oh pleeeease get the games started.

Offensive Co-Ordinators will of course continue to make Mathis the target in the run game.

He is terrible when running AT him.

Game plan to run at him & to Isolate Angerer in the pass game.

Clearly the Two WEAKEST links in this otherwise Stout D. IMO

They of course will still be solid contribtors and add valuable depth over for the long NFL season. 

Go Rayford, Werner & Harvey. Jackpot Griggs!! :applause:

Mathis' impact wont be because of a Freeney like impact from the other end on defense. His impact will come from the people around him. Suggs gets sacks because Ngata takes on double teams. Redding, Francois, Nevis, and Chapman will have to force double teams and Mathis will still end up with 8-10 sacks.