Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Woman suing Patriots for $10 million in damages over her husband’s 2010 death at stadium

Thewholefnshow28

Now they are secretly giving their own fans heart attack. They truly are the evil empire.

Just another example of American greed and how we will do anything to get money even if it means we look like total fools with outlandish lawsuits.

The Patriots are not responsible for this guys heart attack and this lady should be laughed out court and then forced to pay any expense the Patriots incur for a defense.

While a sad story, this is going a bit too far. Even and it's a very hypothetical even if liability could be pinned on the security staff, does this make the franchise responsible for an individuals actions. I'd like to know how they arrived at $10 million too as recompense sought.

I like a lot of things in American culture, this idea of there must be blame for everything in life and the culture of litigation I do not.  

This is sad

And stress does kill

But we all encounter unreasonable people every day

We cannot hold them responsible for how we choose to respond

I hope his widow accepts this, stops blaming people who do not deserve to be blamed and moves on

She is probably banking on a quiet settlement by the Patriots to make it go away.

There is no doubt about it.  Throw some frivolous lawsuit out there in hope that they Pats would rather just settle than to take it to court.  Happens all of the time across this nation and all it does is devalued the real lawsuits that are filed.3

Her suit has merit. I doubt she'll get all 10 million, but she will probably get some of it. The organization is in all likelihood legally responsible for its employees and the actions of its employees while at the team stadium. 

Criminally speaking, a person could be charged with involuntary manslaughter if said person unintentionally and without malice caused a heart attack that resulted in the death of another individual. (For example, if you pulled a prank, and I do mean just a prank, on someone and that prank resulted in him having a heart attack and dying, you could be charged with involuntary manslaughter.)

The same logic can be applied here. The employee (and through him the Team) can be shown to be responsible for the man's death if this can be proved true: "Jeff Chartier died as a result of cardiac arrest that was precipitated by agitation and stress caused by an interaction with a security guard at Gillette Stadium who inappropriately and unnecessarily confronted Jeff Chartier and his son Tedy in a harsh, unprofessional, confrontational, disrespectful and antagonistic manner."

I'm not saying she's right or wrong with bringing the suit, I personally think our country has a problem with suing every time it's applicable, but this suit does have a legal case and will go before the civil court.

I believe Robert Kraft even attended his funeral and there was a memorial ceremony for him before the preseason game.

Rules are rules though. The young boy cannot be allowed on the field without the proper credentials. When you enter a stadium, there are rules of conduct where visitors must abide to certain regulations for the benefit of safety concerns for all others, and this holds especially true when visiting the field. The young boy was turned away, and rightfully so. End of story. If every organization made an exception to this rule, parents would be taking their kids to the field and lying to get a piece of the action.

Sad story all around. While I don't agree with this lawsuit (the only legit claim IMO would be if her husband was suffering a heart attack and officials either ignored it or impeded medical attention), I still believe capped damages and tort reform is a worse option when it comes to civil justice. The documentary "Hot Coffee", currently on Netflix instant stream, does a good job of breaking down the subject for anyone interested.

There is a whole lot that will come out concerning the story in court. If it is frivolous as so many feel, it will be dismissed.  But, what if things weren't so cut dried?  That's why anyone can get a voice in court. To see if their is anything at all to stand on.  I have to trust the system put in place by our forefathers. Though it is slowly unraveling IMHO, it's still the best out there.

Now they are secretly giving their own fans heart attack. They truly are the evil empire.

Just another example of American greed and how we will do anything to get money even if it means we look like total fools with outlandish lawsuits.

The Patriots are not responsible for this guys heart attack and this lady should be laughed out court and then forced to pay any expense the Patriots incur for a defense.

Everyone sues the NFL because the NFL has a lot of money..

NFL Players sue the NFL because they want more money than they were paid

Everyone sues the NFL because the NFL has a lot of money..

NFL Players sue the NFL because they want more money than they were paid

The NFL Players for the concussion lawsuit have a solid argument because the league was so intent on marketing the game to families and children that their public statements for years were a complete 180 to what everyone with a lick of common sense actually knew.

Sad story all around. While I don't agree with this lawsuit (the only legit claim IMO would be if her husband was suffering a heart attack and officials either ignored it or impeded medical attention), I still believe capped damages and tort reform is a worse option when it comes to civil justice. The documentary "Hot Coffee", currently on Netflix instant stream, does a good job of breaking down the subject for anyone interested.

Thanks for the heads up on this documentary Hans! I appreciate that buddy.  :thmup:  Tort reform stuff always fascinates me. 

Her suit has merit. I doubt she'll get all 10 million, but she will probably get some of it. The organization is in all likelihood legally responsible for its employees and the actions of its employees while at the team stadium. 

Criminally speaking, a person could be charged with involuntary manslaughter if said person unintentionally and without malice caused a heart attack that resulted in the death of another individual. (For example, if you pulled a prank, and I do mean just a prank, on someone and that prank resulted in him having a heart attack and dying, you could be charged with involuntary manslaughter.)

The same logic can be applied here. The employee (and through him the Team) can be shown to be responsible for the man's death if this can be proved true: "Jeff Chartier died as a result of cardiac arrest that was precipitated by agitation and stress caused by an interaction with a security guard at Gillette Stadium who inappropriately and unnecessarily confronted Jeff Chartier and his son Tedy in a harsh, unprofessional, confrontational, disrespectful and antagonistic manner."

I'm not saying she's right or wrong with bringing the suit, I personally think our country has a problem with suing every time it's applicable, but this suit does have a legal case and will go before the civil court.

A very good explanation there SupremeColtsfan300, but how can a person directly tie a corporation to their spouse's tragic fatality even in civil court. He could have had his cardiac episode anywhere: At home, at the bank, or driving down the road in his car. The argument itself is really a minor point. It's about the blockage of bloodflow to the heart that can transpire with or without stress. 

A very good explanation there SupremeColtsfan300, but how can a person directly tie a corporation to their spouse's tragic fatality even in civil court. He could have had his cardiac episode anywhere: At home, at the bank, or driving down the road in his car. The argument itself is really a minor point. It's about the blockage of bloodflow to the heart that can transpire with or without stress. 

According to the woman, her husband died of cardiac arrest. Your last sentence does not define cardiac arrest, it actually defines a heart attack. This is the American Heart Association's definition:

"The term 'heart attack' is often mistakenly used to describe cardiac arrest. While a heart attack may cause cardiac arrest and sudden death, the terms don't mean the same thing. Heart attacks are caused by a blockage that stops blood flow to the heart. A heart attack (or myocardial infarction) refers to death of heart muscle tissue due to the loss of blood supply, not necessarily resulting in the death of the heart attack victim.

Cardiac arrest is caused when the heart's electrical system malfunctions. In cardiac arrest, death results when the heart suddenly stops working properly."

Now when the body is stressed, it releases stress hormones into the blood, and that can cause both heart attacks and cardiac arrest.  I'd imagine that the woman is going to argue that had that stressful interaction between her husband and the employee never occurred, her husband's body never would have gotten into such a stressful state, which (according to her claim) ultimately triggered the cardiac arrest that killed him.

Safe to say this 40 year old had some preexisting issue. There was nothing negligent that caused him to have a fatal heart attack. Well.....aside from maybe on his own part.

Not to attack a dead man, but ....maybe his penchant for unhealthy living led to his own death.

Actual picture of the deceased. You make the call.

chartier.jpg

http://lowbrowsports.com/2013/08/woman-sue-patriots-nfl-for-husbands-death/

Safe to say this 40 year old had some preexisting issue. There was nothing negligent that caused him to have a fatal heart attack. Well.....aside from maybe on his own part.

Not to attack a dead man, but ....maybe his penchant for unhealthy living led to his own death.

chartier.jpg

Guy was also going to games for years which can be just as stressful as a shouting match with somone in itself. Regardless it's a bummer of a story but it sounds to me like the woman is simply trying to bank off the loss. We've heard of a bunch of similar stories over the years though I can't really pinpoint one instance. Different situations with the same basic premise. Person dies, not neccesarily any parties fault but yet they try to sue someone for millions.

No chance for this case.  I mean, if all he did was make a harsh, unprofessional (and whatever adjectives the complaint used) confrontation with the guy, there's nothing in this suit to go off of.  Kraft's best defense is that he was a season ticket holder since 2000.  Deal with Jets and Bills fans at least once a year and you can't take a little confrontation with a security guard, you've got no business suing later when you have a heart attack.

No chance for this case.  I mean, if all he did was make a harsh, unprofessional (and whatever adjectives the complaint used) confrontation with the guy, there's nothing in this suit to go off of.  Kraft's best defense is that he was a season ticket holder since 2000.  Deal with Jets and Bills fans at least once a year and you can't take a little confrontation with a security guard, you've got no business suing later when you have a heart attack.

Also, given the the guys physical appearance I am sure his health was probably not at peak performance. If a judge does not throw this case out immediately it is an embarrassment to our judicial system. 

chartier.jpg

Beat me to it Ruk. 

I don't mean to sound judgmental or cruel here, but I think Ronald McDonald had more to do with this guy's heart attack than Bob Kraft. It's a terribly sad story and I truly feel for this guy's family, but... c'mon. When you live your life a certain way it carries very high risk factors, and I have a hard time believing that this guy wasn't "due" for a coronary event. Just a matter of what ended up triggering it.

According to the woman, her husband died of cardiac arrest. Your last sentence does not define cardiac arrest, it actually defines a heart attack. This is the American Heart Association's definition:

"The term 'heart attack' is often mistakenly used to describe cardiac arrest. While a heart attack may cause cardiac arrest and sudden death, the terms don't mean the same thing. Heart attacks are caused by a blockage that stops blood flow to the heart. A heart attack (or myocardial infarction) refers to death of heart muscle tissue due to the loss of blood supply, not necessarily resulting in the death of the heart attack victim.

Cardiac arrest is caused when the heart's electrical system malfunctions. In cardiac arrest, death results when the heart suddenly stops working properly."

Now when the body is stressed, it releases stress hormones into the blood, and that can cause both heart attacks and cardiac arrest.  I'd imagine that the woman is going to argue that had that stressful interaction between her husband and the employee never occurred, her husband's body never would have gotten into such a stressful state, which (according to her claim) ultimately triggered the cardiac arrest that killed him.

Interesting...I learned something today. Heart attacks = bloodflow blockage & Cardiac arrests= a malfunction of the heart muscle to pump or distribute the blood accordingly throughout a person's body. Thanks Supremecoltsfan300. I appreciate that.  :thmup:

Now, even if hormones were released under a stressful circumstance, unless the security guard was seen violently pushing or punching the victim; I don't see owner Robert Kraft being compelled to pay a large settlement here. I see this case getting dismissed in court actually. My condolences to the man's spouse & remaining children left behind though. 

Interesting...I learned something today. Heart attacks = bloodflow blockage & Cardiac arrests= a malfunction of the heart muscle to pump or distribute the blood accordingly throughout a person's body. Thanks Supremecoltsfan300. I appreciate that.  :thmup:

Now, even if hormones were released under a stressful circumstance, unless the security guard was seen violently pushing or punching the victim; I don't see owner Robert Kraft being compelled to pay a large settlement here. I see this case getting dismissed in court actually. My condolences to the man's spouse & remaining children left behind though. 

I don't see a large settlement here as well. But I do think there will be some settlement because when there's lawyers and judges involved..... well anything can happen. But I can see it being dismissed for the same reasoning.

And for the record, I do hate the concept of suing over the death of a person. If the person died as the result of a crime, the criminal justice system should bring the culprit to justice (there are those few cases where the culprit gets off on a technicality, and so a civil suit is appropriate in those matters). If the person died as the result of an accident (and by accident I mean something where the person could not reasonably have known their actions could result in physical or severe emotional/mental harm of another person), then that should be the end of it. Money can't bring the person back and it's not even close to a substitute. When people sue over stuff like that, idk, there's just something morally wrong with it imo.

I don't see a large settlement here as well. But I do think there will be some settlement because when there's lawyers and judges involved..... well anything can happen. But I can see it being dismissed for the same reasoning.

And for the record, I do hate the concept of suing over the death of a person. If the person died as the result of a crime, the criminal justice system should bring the culprit to justice (there are those few cases where the culprit gets off on a technicality, and so a civil suit is appropriate in those matters). If the person died as the result of an accident (and by accident I mean something where the person could not reasonably have known their actions could result in physical or severe emotional/mental harm of another person), then that should be the end of it. Money can't bring the person back and it's not even close to a substitute. When people sue over stuff like that, idk, there's just something morally wrong with it imo.

Exactly, if hazardous working conditions led to a person's death then an employer must share some degree of responsibility for the tragedy that transpired, but like you said no amount of cash is going to resurrect your loved one or hug them again/show affection or appreciation for down the road. Well said Supremecoltsfan300.  :thmup: 

Financial compensation may make the survivors standard of living a little easier, but if you asked most people they would favor having their loved one back as opposed to a monetary stipend of relief to offset the cost of bills.