Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oklahoma Drill

MR. Blueblood

I was just watching the first episode of Hard Knocks, and the Bengals ran what they called the Oklahoma drill.  I think that would be an awesome drill for the Colts to run during camp.  For those of you that haven't seen or are unable to watch it, it's basically a one on one contest between an offensive and defensive player in a confined area.  A QB hands the ball to a RB and it's up to the O player to win his battle and get him through or the D player to win his and make the tackle.  

Also I've noticed that the contact seems to be a lot more physical during their padded practices than what I saw from the Colts during TC this year.  

What are your thoughts on the Oklahoma drill, and do you have any drills that you would like to incorporate if you had the chance?

Wow....I didn't realize the Oklahoma Drill wasn't a commonly used drill in the league anymore. I always had a love hate relationship with that drill. When I was a QB through my sophomore year, I hated it. Once I became a tight end for the rest of my years, I learned to love it (at least when I was the blocker).

Wow....I didn't realize the Oklahoma Drill wasn't a commonly used drill in the league anymore. I always had a love hate relationship with that drill. When I was a QB through my sophomore year, I hated it. Once I became a tight end for the rest of my years, I learned to love it (at least when I was the blocker).

I never liked it.  We called it Cage, but it was the same drill.  

Ah, the good ole Oklahoma drill!

I always believed that drill was the best way to injury your own teammates. 

I am glad that not a lot of NFL teams do that drill anymore.

Bull in the ring is the one that I always expected people to get hurt doing

I think it's a bad drill.  It's like trying to mask physicality with something football related.  There is very little actual football in it, if you ask me.  It's 2 on 1.  The defender needs to engage the blocker, shed the blocker, and make the tackle on the ball carrier in a small area.  It's not like the defender can avoid the blocker and make a hit; he will be ridiculed for avoiding contact.  I don't like the drill

I think it's a bad drill.  It's like trying to mask physicality with something football related.  There is very little actual football in it, if you ask me.  It's 2 on 1.  The defender needs to engage the blocker, shed the blocker, and make the tackle on the ball carrier in a small area.  It's not like the defender can avoid the blocker and make a hit; he will be ridiculed for avoiding contact.  I don't like the drill

I think it's football related. I actually think it's more restrictive on the back than the defender. I think it's very coachable, at the very least, because it allows the blocker and the defender to work on their technique at something resembling full strength.

Bull in a ring is the ridiculous one to me.

The players all seemed to really get geared up for this drill, and enjoyed the heck out of it.  I'm not quite sure how a one on one drill with players that are evenly matched in size and strength is going to get anybody hurt any more than anything else they do.  While football is a team game it still boils down to you having to beat the man across from you and win your match up.  

First bold, if football isn't physicality and opposing your will on the other team, then what is it?

Second bold, isn't this football, pretty much any time a RB goes between the tackles?  When RBs or WRs get out in space, is the only time a defender doesn't have a small area to work in.

And the drill isn't supposed to be an avoidance drill, it's supposed to get you to win your match up, something every player is asked to do every time they step on the field and play on SUnday. 

The players all seemed to really get geared up for this drill, and enjoyed the heck out of it.  I'm not quite sure how a one on one drill with players that are evenly matched in size and strength is going to get anybody hurt any more than anything else they do.  While football is a team game it still boils down to you having to beat the man across from you and win your match up.  

First bold, if football isn't physicality and opposing your will on the other team, then what is it?

Second bold, isn't this football, pretty much any time a RB goes between the tackles?  When RBs or WRs get out in space, is the only time a defender doesn't have a small area to work in.

And the drill isn't supposed to be an avoidance drill, it's supposed to get you to win your match up, something every player is asked to do every time they step on the field and play on SUnday. 

Agree with you here. This is a man-up drill in a man-up game. It is "me against you" best man wins. It isn't like receivers are going against linemen. Football is physical......I hated the drill, but it is an in-the-trenches drill. DL can't make tackles unless they can shed the block.

I guess I will be one of the few men to post in this thread. Oklahoma is a great drill.  This drill is practice for what happens on most every play in every game. 

The guy with the ball and the blocker have the advantage.  As a defender if you are unable to shed the blocker and take on the guy with the ball in the whole then you at least have to stand the blocker up and push him into the ball carrier.

This is a safe drill as there are no double teams (blocking) or other players to fall into your legs.

The posters on here that do not like this drill because they feel it is not safe would not like the real Oklahoma drill.

This drill weeds out the men from the boys.

I didn't realize that either, I assumed it was used by everyone...

I played safety and wide receiver.. Was never a huge fan but partially because I broke my friends tailbone. haha

Do we even know for certain that the Colts don't use the Oklahoma drill??

Just askin.....

they dont use it im 99.9 percent sure, I was there every day but 3. Heck there scrimmages of 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 are not very physical in my opinion

We always ran it as a 2 on 2. RB/OL vs. LB/DL The RB would always got crushed by either the DL or the LB who is free behind him. It was never a drill for anything other than "being a man" and taking the hit. We also did the Hamburger drill. One man in the circle, coach calls a player, that player heads in full steam to drill the guy in the middle. Both drills are about showing who is tough. I don't think they teach proper tackling or physicality, they just highlight guys who are aggressive. I wouldn't use them if I were a coach.

Lol we use it in my school. I'm the kicker and punter for our team and I love watching out guys knock the stuffing out of each other. I also am a starter for varsity soccer which is probably why I'm the kicker and punter lol.

Brag about it.

I guess I will be one of the few men to post in this thread. Oklahoma is a great drill.  This drill is practice for what happens on most every play in every game. 

The guy with the ball and the blocker have the advantage.  As a defender if you are unable to shed the blocker and take on the guy with the ball in the whole then you at least have to stand the blocker up and push him into the ball carrier.

This is a safe drill as there are no double teams (blocking) or other players to fall into your legs.

The posters on here that do not like this drill because they feel it is not safe would not like the real Oklahoma drill.

This drill weeds out the men from the boys.

I'm with you Snotknocker.  Loved the drill.  As a linebacker I always liked to practice taking on a blocker and tackling the ball carrier.  Just like in the games.  If you can't take on a blocker and win, why play defense?  If you don't like heavy contact, why play football?  Coaches know who they can count on after a few rounds of Oklahoma. 

Ladies,

Would you like to win Super Bowls or be soft for another decade?  I want to win multiple Super Bowls and that is not going to happen if the Colts management believes as you that practicing football should not put players at risk.  The risk has to be taken to see who can tolerate the beating and pain.  The alternative is to wait until regular season and find out the fast, strong guy in shorts who looked good can not get off a block or take a hit from a NFL player.

You can not build a monster with this logic.  Thank god you guys sit behind a desk and wine all day.  Please shut your pie whole and at least pretend you are a man. (smh)

Ladies,

Would you like to win Super Bowls or be soft for another decade? I want to win multiple Super Bowls and that is not going to happen if the Colts management believes as you that practicing football should not put players at risk. The risk has to be taken to see who can tolerate the beating and pain. The alternative is to wait until regular season and find out the fast, strong guy in shorts who looked good can not get off a block or take a hit from a NFL player.

You can not build a monster with this logic. Thank god you guys sit behind a desk and wine all day. Please shut your pie whole and at least pretend you are a man. (smh)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120310162437/theinternetbox/images/9/9b/Watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

I am going to (due to the replies) assume most of the posters on here are young to very young.  The Oklahoma drill is "old school" and it gives the coach and players a lot of insight on what kind of man you are.

Football is a violent game and as a player you either enjoy the violence or you do not.  I bet Dick Butkus, Mike Curtis and Jack Lambert loved this drill and if you did not want to participate because you were afraid of an injury they would kick er * off the field.

I have no idea what happened to our youth, but these kids now a days are lazy, scared and do not resemble men.

These last few generations need to have a foot put in the * by a few good men.  Never mind my guess is they would run crying to mommy.

Its football you buttercups.........man up because soon you will have to.