Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Not Happy with Team's Performance....

NewColtsFan

Actually I disagree...it means that Irsay opened his mouth in front of people that would take it to the cover of ESPN.  Had he followed his own oft-repeated yet not always followed philosophy of keeping things like this in-house, then the media would have never even gotten wind of it, and imo that's the way it should have been.

He tweeted it. He didn't search out a camera crew.

And this is all PR, by the way. Irsay wants the fans to know that he addressed a lousy preseason performance with the leaders of the team. He didn't call anyone on the carpet. 

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who said anything about flying off the handle?

He said he gave the "commanders" an earful. Probably means he went and talked to Grigson and Pagano and told them that it needs to be better.

Darth Vader used to give his Commanders sudden difficulty in breathing...

I think we're going to be ok.

I agree, the performances of guys like Lanear Sampson, Dax Swanson, Sheldon Price, Marshay Green etc were pretty terrible...fortunately those guys won't be making the team in all likelihood.  

I think it was more then just those guys that have Jimmy a little hot.  Those type of guys are on every team every year around this time. You know what you get with them. There were lazy and mental mistakes in a lot of areas yesterday.  Poor ball security, messing up a cadence, not setting the edge early. Poor special teams play all day, at least in kick coverage. Jimmy doesn't take to twitter because he is mad at a bunch of nobodys with little shot to make the team.  The expectations are high this year, Jimmy went out and spent. He wants to win.  He isn't going to be happy with fumbles inside the redzone and special teams giving up 100 plus yard kick returns.

Well I simply disagree with the bolded.  When referring to backups I think specifically of the first team of backups, ie the 2nd string and I liked the way they played for the most part as well, again especially considering this was the first preseason game.  

Consider this....the only offensive TD that the Bills FIRST TEAM was able to score was when we had guys like Vaughn, Gordy and Allen Chapman guarding their starting WR's.  We had guys like Heard, Guy, Hughes, Rayford, and Sidbury going up against their starting OL.  Of that group, Sidbury played well consistently imo, but the other guys were very inconsistent and frankly that's to be expected considering the lack of experience.  However, it was took their starters playing against a couple of our 2nds but mostly 3rds in order to score a TD.  I have no problem with that.  

And I don't think it was so much injuries that forced extra playing time for the young guys as it was that the coaching staff wanted to see what they had.  Yes it was a window opener and none of them really stepped up. Ok, what's the big deal?  So the guys that we currently have on the roster that might be lucky enough to make our PS probably won't make it unless they step it up big time.  So we look at guys who are going to get released in the coming cuts to find better guys to put on our PS. 

And that TD is what has everyone raving about EJ Manuel saying he's giving Buffalo hope haha . I agree with all of that, I'm just saying what Irsay must be feeling. I personally could care less what 3rd stringers do as they'll probably be gone on the 1st cuts. All I really cared about was 1st & 2nd team. And without a few miscues, the score should've been 17-3 or 21-3 at least before Harnish took over & played awful

And this is all PR, by the way. Irsay wants the fans to know that he addressed a lousy preseason performance with the leaders of the team. He didn't call anyone on the carpet. 

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned he may as well have sought out a camera crew.  He knew very well his tweet would make headlines on ESPN,NFL etc because they always have.  Personally, I think the latter half of his tweet, "but it was a crap performance,my apologies/My commanders got n earful from me!" could have and should have been worded better. Just my 2 cents.

He called out his coaches ("commanders") which is worse than calling out players. But I guess I get it on one level as he made the decision to blow everything up two seasons ago and usher in the Luck era. And even he probably knows last year was a bit fluky given everything but again first preseason game. Don't want to strip the staff of confidence out of the gate.

I don't get why Pagano & Co. got called out. All they do is call the plays, players have to execute. The oline wouldn't block for Harnish & when they did Harnish threw some passes that had me like this little guy --> :scratch:

Matty & Luck ran the offense well, so why couldn't Harnish do it??

In the first preseason game when the starters played two series? That is flying off the handle IMO. Pagano barely even coached last year to boot. Why make it public on Twitter? I mean say it behind closed doors if you have to but that is what made it the cover on ESPN which he knew it would when he tweeted it.

Flying off the handle has a meaning. I think, at the very least, you're misusing it. If I give my daughter a stern talking to because she did something wrong, that's giving her an earful. It's not flying off the handle.

As for Irsay's tweeting and whatnot, I don't think it's a big deal. I think he wanted to get some notice for this, and knew he would. I said earlier, he's spent the past few weeks talking about how he spent $140m because he wanted to improve the defense and the special teams, and then we give up 44 points and get abused on special teams. To some, he has egg on his face. (I don't agree with that perspective; it's preseason.) So, to me, this is him making public that he's not happy and he made his feelings known to the men in charge.

To me, it's much ado about nothing. I'm sure Irsay knows that this game isn't indicative of whether the team is going to be good or not. He knows this business better than any of us do. But his team got blown out in the preseason home opener, and it's a little embarrassing. 

I think it was more then just those guys that have Jimmy a little hot.  Those type of guys are on every team every year around this time. You know what you get with them. There were lazy and mental mistakes in a lot of areas yesterday.  Poor ball security, messing up a cadence, not setting the edge early.  Poor special teams play all day, at least in kick coverage. Jimmy doesn't take to twitter because he is mad at a bunch of nobodys with little shot to make the team.  The expectations are high this year, Jimmy went out and spent. He wants to win.  He isn't going to be happy with fumbles inside the redzone and special teams giving up 100 plus yard kick returns.

Of course there were mistakes and the ones you mentioned were perfectly valid...however it was the first game of pre-season.  The first time our starting OL had ever been on the field at the same time together.  Luck made an uncharacteristic mistake that we all know is not going to happen repeatedly.  Poor ball security on one play by Fleener that I have no doubt will be addressed and corrected.  As for not setting the edge early...well that's simply what's going to happen when teams run to Mathis' side.  Mathis is not good at setting the edge and we all know that.  He's not all of a sudden going to get significantly better at it overnight which is why I've said numerous times I would not be at all surprised to see Werner in at Rush LB on early/run downs instead of Mathis.  The ST were bothersome the entire game for the most part, so that I can definitely agree with.

Oh ohhh! Does Irsay think because he spent a bunch of $$$ we will have a Better 11-5 Team?

Will he be melting down when we are 3-5?

Don`t know how good we will be in the 2nd half of the season, but this is a very young team, with lots to learn and not likely to have the easiest schedule Again this year.

He is adding nothing to the program by showing no patience and making believe that ANYONE under him isn`t highly motivated.

IMO, this is very Jonesish. A Red Flagg.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned he may as well have sought out a camera crew.  He knew very well his tweet would make headlines on ESPN,NFL etc because they always have.  Personally, I think the latter half of his tweet, "but it was a crap performance,my apologies/My commanders got n earful from me!" could have and should have been worded better. Just my 2 cents.

I'm nitpicking. Of course Irsay knew his comments would have a wide audience when he tweeted them. I'm just saying that what ESPN does really doesn't have anything to do with what Irsay told his guys in private.

Perhaps his tweet could have been worded better. But given what he actually did say, I don't think there's anything to get all up in arms about. I certainly don't get the impression that he went crazy on his guys. 

Why can't IRSAY be public? He's as big a fan of the game and his team as any of us. He's paying a lot of money EVEN FOR THE BACKUPS of BACKUPS....so he has every right to be a bit peeved about the performance. I find it welcoming. Give em heck Jim and don't back down, let them know what you expect (says I).

Yeah, Robert Mathis did get destroyed on that one play. Dude cut him low and then they just ran right by him. Maybe it would be better to let Werner be outside or someone bigger & nastier than Mathis

Had nothing to do with size or temperament. Mathis was undisciplined on the first two plays of the game, and it hurt the defense. It's a simple film study correction.

Had nothing to do with size or temperament. Mathis was undisciplined on the first two plays of the game, and it hurt the defense. It's a simple film study correction.

Well, I hope that's all it is. Cause if not, teams will definitely take note & run to Mathis 24/7

Flying off the handle has a meaning. I think, at the very least, you're misusing it. If I give my daughter a stern talking to because she did something wrong, that's giving her an earful. It's not flying off the handle.

As for Irsay's tweeting and whatnot, I don't think it's a big deal. I think he wanted to get some notice for this, and knew he would. I said earlier, he's spent the past few weeks talking about how he spent $140m because he wanted to improve the defense and the special teams, and then we give up 44 points and get abused on special teams. To some, he has egg on his face. (I don't agree with that perspective; it's preseason.) So, to me, this is him making public that he's not happy and he made his feelings known to the men in charge.

To me, it's much ado about nothing. I'm sure Irsay knows that this game isn't indicative of whether the team is going to be good or not. He knows this business better than any of us do. But his team got blown out in the preseason home opener, and it's a little embarrassing. 

I would also think he would understand that his team is very young and basically has a new HC in Pagano given he did not coach much last year. If he is expecting 11-5 or better THIS season then I already feel bad for his staff. It will be ugly often.

He called out his coaches ("commanders") which is worse than calling out players. But I guess I get it on one level as he made the decision to blow everything up two seasons ago and usher in the Luck era. And even he probably knows last year was a bit fluky given everything but again first preseason game. Don't want to strip the staff of confidence out of the gate.

I didn't think he was talking about coaches. I think he was talking about Grigson and Pagano. And I don't think either of them have a shaken confidence, not because of the game nor because of whatever Irsay told them. I'd say the same thing about the entire coaching staff.

Well, I hope that's all it is. Cause if not, teams will definitely take note & run to Mathis 24/7

The second run was away from Mathis. He overpursued, rather than cutting off the cut back lane. 

The first run, he tried to beat his man to the inside, rather than setting the edge. It's all technical. Mathis will be fine.

Oh ohhh! Does Irsay think because he spent a bunch of $$$ we will have a Better 11-5 Team?

Will he be melting down when we are 3-5?

Don`t know how good we will be in the 2nd half of the season, but this is a very young team, with lots to learn and not likely to have the easiest schedule Again this year.

He is adding nothing to the program by showing no patience and making believe that ANYONE under him isn`t highly motivated.

IMO, this is very Jonesish. A Red Flagg.

Oh brother...Does Irsay think because he spent a bunch of $$$ we will have a Better 11-5 Team? GIVE ME A BREAK! .....

Irsay expects PEFORMANCE, and YES, if he spent $$$ then YES...he does expect a better team to be on the field...why else would he spend money just for fun? If he didn't want a better team or expect a better team I'd imagine he'd just keep everyone the same all the time. Seriously...most ludicrous post of the year.

Everyone we spent "big" money on played well.

The oline was fine aside from 2 plays (Sack & quick pressure on Luck one play)

Greg Toler did fine in pass coverage, could improve in run defense though.

Landry didn't play so we don't know about him

RJF was pretty good

Erik Walden made a few plays & show great pursuit to the ball especially on the busted screen Buffalo had. The 1st one, not the 2nd one they gave to Jackson for a gain

I understand your point.  The point that I was trying to make was that Mr. Irsay just got through with a major shopping spree to updrage his team.  I think he got a little emabarassed by his teams performance.  I understand that the players he shelled the majority of his money weren't the cause of yesterdays embarassment, but non the less.  Mr. Irsay's (third string) team was publically shallacked.  I'm sure this was kind of a blow to his pride.  Especially after all the attention to re-building the team.  I think he wanted a little better performance.

I know and you know that the first string players are going to do very well this year.  But, this team has (for a long time) had the reputation of having some pretty sub-par backups.  Special teams has been the Colts Achilles heal.  These things don't look like anything has changed.

I didn't think he was talking about coaches. I think he was talking about Grigson and Pagano. And I don't think either of them have a shaken confidence, not because of the game nor because of whatever Irsay told them. I'd say the same thing about the entire coaching staff.

Pagano is a coach. How do you know how they feel?

The problem is that it's the type of comment a bad owner would make, and if I was Pagano I'd be both concerned and irritated. It's the first pre-season game of the second year of rebuilding, and the owner feels compelled to scold him like he was a bad boy - and hang him out to dry with the fans. It sounds like the important thing to Irsay is that the fans don't point fingers in his direction. What does he expect to happen, for Pagano to say "OH, well actually nobody gave a darn in the last game, but now that you've told me it's unacceptable everyone will try harder to please you in the next game"? Give me a break.

We all know that all pre-season games are utterly meaningless. The goal is to evaluate individual contenders for roster spots. If Irsay quietly chooses to be concerned that the depth may not be as good as he was personally expecting, so be it, but seizing this as an opportunity to make his new coach publicly uncomfortable is just creepy, unnecessary, and utterly unproductive.

I would also think he would understand that his team is very young and basically has a new HC in Pagano given he did not coach much last year. If he is expecting 11-5 or better THIS season then I already feel bad for his staff. It will be ugly often.

You continually overstate how "new" Pagano is. He was here at this juncture last season when we beat the Rams in the preseason. Pagano's "newness" isn't at issue here.

I'm sure Irsay understands where his team is, and understands what the team is capable of. 

What irritated me about yesterday's game is how quickly we pulled the 1st and 2nd line players. We have a lot of new guys, we have some new schemes we're installing, and we have a lot of youth, even in the first two units. Those first two units played decent football, I thought, aside from two or three mistakes. But we got deep into our bench basically by the end of the first quarter, while the Bills were still playing a lot of first stringers. 

That's fine, I know we have to evaluate those back end guys and give them a chance to make something happen, but in front of the home crowd, you basically surrendered the game. And things got out of control in a hurry, especially with the kick return. Personally, I'm not worried about the home crowd or how the final score looks, but I'm sure Jim Irsay is, and he should be. He's running a business, and 44-20 never looks good. 

I think it was more then just those guys that have Jimmy a little hot. Those type of guys are on every team every year around this time. You know what you get with them. There were lazy and mental mistakes in a lot of areas yesterday. Poor ball security, messing up a cadence, not setting the edge early. Poor special teams play all day, at least in kick coverage. Jimmy doesn't take to twitter because he is mad at a bunch of nobodys with little shot to make the team. The expectations are high this year, Jimmy went out and spent. He wants to win. He isn't going to be happy with fumbles inside the redzone and special teams giving up 100 plus yard kick returns.

yeah, the team looked like the teams Jimmy fielded when he was the gm. Too bad those were regular season games and not the first preseason game

Of course there were mistakes and the ones you mentioned were perfectly valid...however it was the first game of pre-season.  The first time our starting OL had ever been on the field at the same time together.  Luck made an uncharacteristic mistake that we all know is not going to happen repeatedly.  Poor ball security on one play by Fleener that I have no doubt will be addressed and corrected.  As for not setting the edge early...well that's simply what's going to happen when teams run to Mathis' side.  Mathis is not good at setting the edge and we all know that.  He's not all of a sudden going to get significantly better at it overnight which is why I've said numerous times I would not be at all surprised to see Werner in at Rush LB on early/run downs instead of Mathis.  The ST were bothersome the entire game for the most part, so that I can definitely agree with.

Now that the Easiest 5 yards if NFL History has moved to San Diego, what do you call against 2 deep safeties with Mathis on the field.

Lots of Runs & Play action towards the weak link.

You continually overstate how "new" Pagano is. He was here at this juncture last season when we beat the Rams in the preseason. Pagano's "newness" isn't at issue here.

I'm sure Irsay understands where his team is, and understands what the team is capable of. 

What irritated me about yesterday's game is how quickly we pulled the 1st and 2nd line players. We have a lot of new guys, we have some new schemes we're installing, and we have a lot of youth, even in the first two units. Those first two units played decent football, I thought, aside from two or three mistakes. But we got deep into our bench basically by the end of the first quarter, while the Bills were still playing a lot of first stringers. 

That's fine, I know we have to evaluate those back end guys and give them a chance to make something happen, but in front of the home crowd, you basically surrendered the game. And things got out of control in a hurry, especially with the kick return. Personally, I'm not worried about the home crowd or how the final score looks, but I'm sure Jim Irsay is, and he should be. He's running a business, and 44-20 never looks good. 

Isn't the pre-season about figuring out who the 2 and 3 string will be? The Bills may have planned to play their starters longer than the Colts anyways as if any franchise wants to get a taste of winning it is them. That is what makes Irsay's comments troubling. Does Pagano now have to run his game plan by him so he knows how he wants to run the team in the preseason!?

Pagano is very new given last year and the fact that he was never a HC before. And let's face it, he has a TON of pressure given what Arians did last year. I would think Irsay would be a little more sensitive to that this early on.

Pagano is a coach. How do you know how they feel?

Pagano is A coach, not "coaches." But he's more than a coach, he's one of the principal leaders of the team. It's him and Grigson at the top, as far as football operations are concerned. 

Maybe Irsay did mean coaches; I don't know for sure. "Commanders" is a vague term. I'm just saying that, in my mind, that's Grigson and Pagano, period. I wouldn't expect Irsay to go berate the linebackers coach because Mathis overran his assignment. 

I don't know how they feel. Neither do you. But I do think that Grigson and Pagano can handle a talking to from Jim Irsay.

you are really good at taking subtle jabs at the colts in your comments while tip toeing the line of trolling.  

i bet when you saw this thread was made you looked like this  :clap:

you are really good at taking subtle jabs at the colts in your comments while tip toeing the line of trolling.  

i bet when you saw this thread was made you looked like this  :clap:

Do you even know what trolling is? I am defending your team and your coach. And I have stated here ad nauseum that I think Luck is a stud and the best of the rookie class from last year. But that does not mean Irsay isn't feeling the pressure of moving on from Manning and co. especially when the Broncs are one of the favs in the AFC and Manning was one miraculous season from AP away from his fifth league MVP.

Irsay wants preseason wins because the next home preseason game will sell more tickets.  That's it. End of discussion.  Let's move on.

Oh please.....

This is not a "sell more tickets' issue...

This is a "sense of urgency issue"     This is "do I have you attention now?" issue...

This is a "I spent $140 Million this off-season, and much of that for defense and special teams and they looked terrible" issue...

If "sell more tickets" is even an issue,  it's further down the list....     Do all of those other things better, and the Colts will sell more tickets.

I just find it funny ( :funny: ) how we're taking the most attention from the 1st week of Pre-Season

We were NOT the only team that was blown out. Falcons, Jaguars (Bad example I know), Buccaners, Chargers, & Packers were al blown out or blanked.

Yet when we get beat, apparently NFL.com crowns EJ Manuel as the savior of the Bills & all this other mess. Just more & more proof that people are waiting on this franchise to have another 2-14 season. It's sad people get pleasure off of others failure. Sick world we live in these days :sigh:

Isn't the pre-season about figuring out who the 2 and 3 string will be?

Not exclusively. It's also about allowing your first liners to get their game going before the regular season starts.

The Bills may have planned to play their starters longer than the Colts anyways as it any franchise wants to get a taste of winning it is them.

I haven't exactly compared it to what we did last year, but I thought we pulled our first and second line guys faster than we should have. That's not in comparison to the Bills. I just think a first string being led by a second year quarterback, with three second year starters at skill spots, and two new offensive linemen, should have gone longer than two series. Take Reggie out, fine, but I think Luck, Fleener, and the starting line should have stayed in longer than they did.

That is what makes Irsay's comments troubling. Does Pagano now have to run his game plan by him so he knows how he wants to run the team in the preseason!?

I'm not saying I think Irsay is irritated because we pulled the starters quick. I'm saying he's irritated with the way the game went. I'm irritated with how little work the starters got, but that's just my opinion. 

Pagano is very new given last year and the fact that he was never a HC before. And let's face it, he has a TON of pressure given what Arians did last year. I would think Irsay would be a little more sensitive to that this early on.

I don't think any of that should mean that Irsay can't speak freely to the head coach of his football team. Yesterday's performance was disappointing. I don't think Irsay should have to coddle his football people just because "they're new." 

And this kind of gets back to the "flying off the handle" thing. You and I have a very different idea of the way Irsay addressed his guys. Neither of us knows exactly what happened, but I don't get the impression that Irsay went crazy on Pagano, or anyone else.

Pagano is A coach, not "coaches." But he's more than a coach, he's one of the principal leaders of the team. It's him and Grigson at the top, as far as football operations are concerned. 

Maybe Irsay did mean coaches; I don't know for sure. "Commanders" is a vague term. I'm just saying that, in my mind, that's Grigson and Pagano, period. I wouldn't expect Irsay to go berate the linebackers coach because Mathis overran his assignment. 

I don't know how they feel. Neither do you. But I do think that Grigson and Pagano can handle a talking to from Jim Irsay.

Yep, chain of command. I'm thinking this is all negative motivation. There's been a lot of gushing over the Colts this offseason, then to get blowed out in the 1st preseason game, maybe being critical is the right call. It's not like he's blowing up his twitter feed over it and calling a press conference.

Yep, chain of command. I'm thinking this is all negative motivation. There's been a lot of gushing over the Colts this offseason, then to get blowed out in the 1st preseason game, maybe being critical is the right call. It's not like he's blowing up his twitter feed over it and calling a press conference.

That's all I'm saying. He's the owner; I think he can speak freely with his guys without it completely tearing their confidence apart.

And, truth be told, a better performance top down would be nice to see.

Not exclusively. It's also about allowing your first liners to get their game going before the regular season starts.

I haven't exactly compared it to what we did last year, but I thought we pulled our first and second line guys faster than we should have. That's not in comparison to the Bills. I just think a first string being led by a second year quarterback, with three second year starters at skill spots, and two new offensive linemen, should have gone longer than two series. Take Reggie out, fine, but I think Luck, Fleener, and the starting line should have stayed in longer than they did.

I'm not saying I think Irsay is irritated because we pulled the starters quick. I'm saying he's irritated with the way the game went. I'm irritated with how little work the starters got, but that's just my opinion. 

I don't think any of that should mean that Irsay can't speak freely to the head coach of his football team. Yesterday's performance was disappointing. I don't think Irsay should have to coddle his football people just because "they're new." 

And this kind of gets back to the "flying off the handle" thing. You and I have a very different idea of the way Irsay addressed his guys. Neither of us knows exactly what happened, but I don't get the impression that Irsay went crazy on Pagano, or anyone else.

First preseason game. Irsay can say whatever he wants to his team but when you go public that is different. No one likes to be reemed out pubicly so I would say Pagano is not happy. He will be checking his twitter account now after every bad play I am sure.

Well considering all the money Mr Irsay spent this off season he can say anything he wants to say and anyway he wants to. Maybe it will wake some of the management up and I personally think he meant exactly what he said as some are posting that OP are reading something into his tweet.  This was one of his first tweets I could totally understand what he was saying.   :thmsup:  Mr Irsay