Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Not Happy with Team's Performance....

NewColtsFan

I was being facetious....   Having a little fun at your expense....    just some playful teasing...   (well,  mostly playful)

But....

My issue was this sentence.....      

"It screams to me of an owner who does not have a lot of faith in his GM, coach or players." 

I think that's a gross over-exaggeration....   Irsay loves, LOVES Grigson and Pagano.    Not sure he could be happier with either of them overall.    This was a blip on the radar.    But Irsay wants to get everyone's attention from top on down.   Which is the right thing to do.    

He knew this would be picked up by everyone in the media.   It was deliberate.    Again,  it's a good solid butt-kick.   I think that's fine.     I just don't think it comes close to "does not have a lot of faith in his GM, coach or players"    Night and day different.

Just my view of things....

I agree with this. This was nothing more than Irsay letting the GM, Coach, and the players know from the very get go, that he's watching and seeing their performances. IMO, he wants them to know, that he wants and expects a team that brings their A game week in and week out and that includes his coaching staff and every 3rd stringer that is fighting for a roster spot. IMO, it was the right thing to do, if he lets them get by with lackluster play from the beginning, then it will turn into a trend and that simply will not be tolerated.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really mature, Irsay tweeting to everyone else that he yelled at the Colts' coaching staff. Man, certainly necessary to tell everyone else that!

I guess he could have just called them schmucks and then told the media about it

Only thing I found embarassing was the kickoff coverage.  Seemed like a bunch of guys running down thinking I better stay in my lane instead of thinking about hammering the ball carrier.  Kind of looked like a timid HS team, maybe even a weak JV team. 

I trust it will get better.  Thanks Mr. Irsay for the verbal spanking.  Your over-twitterishness doesn't help though.   

Boomstick just needs to blast all his kickoffs out of the endzone and we're cured.

One question whats it any of your buisness if i tweet about disciplining my own children.

although thats a huge difference you are missing irsays point he dont want the fans who also pay to go to these games to feel like he is going to accept poor play no matter what.

And also i dont know why people keep reffering to past preseason games and the regular seaons ya that was an amazing decade of football but maybe he is tired of just winning in the reg season and losing in the first round of the play offs. maybe its much deeper then that to him. I think he just wants to win and i dont know why so many people want to hate on him for doing his job and keeping us fans in the loop after all we are the reason this great franchise and team is here.

Much different then probably your job or mine. Nothing like jerry jones at all about this.

Just to add, tweeting to say you chastised someone is high school.

Please.

Do you, as a parent, or as a boss, Tweet when you disciple your children or employees?

I hope not.

Irsay will vote for 18 regular season games like every owner, if he could.

Irsay could have easily kept it inside the house, I personally don't like it. You can be unhappy, but the whole world does not need to know it, IMO.

I completely agree. Any disgust or resentment about how an owner feels about a team's failure to remain competitive in the 2nd half must remain inside the Colts locker room & inner circle. I am so disappointed in Jim Irsay right now. Sigh...He's acting like a spoiled brat grow up Mr. Irsay. Come back to me when you have a real problem. 

The problem is that it's the type of comment a bad owner would make, and if I was Pagano I'd be both concerned and irritated. It's the first pre-season game of the second year of rebuilding, and the owner feels compelled to scold him like he was a bad boy - and hang him out to dry with the fans. It sounds like the important thing to Irsay is that the fans don't point fingers in his direction. What does he expect to happen, for Pagano to say "OH, well actually nobody gave a darn in the last game, but now that you've told me it's unacceptable everyone will try harder to please you in the next game"? Give me a break.

We all know that all pre-season games are utterly meaningless. The goal is to evaluate individual contenders for roster spots. If Irsay quietly chooses to be concerned that the depth may not be as good as he was personally expecting, so be it, but seizing this as an opportunity to make his new coach publicly uncomfortable is just creepy, unnecessary, and utterly unproductive.

Exactly MAC. It's the 1st preseason game. There is plenty of film to look at, scrutinize, & improve. Relax Jim...

That's all I'm saying. He's the owner; I think he can speak freely with his guys without it completely tearing their confidence apart.

And, truth be told, a better performance top down would be nice to see.

The fact that Jim Irsay is the owner doesn't give him a pass to go crazy on Twitter & say something really, really stupid. You are the owner. You set the tone of this organization from the very top that all other coaches & players follow. Yes, you sign all the checks, but genuine chemistry cannot be bought & there is a right way & a wrong way to voice your displeasure sir. I am ashamed to call myself a Colts fan right now. No joke.

You all are making too much of this. Irsay thought the Colts played crappy and apologized to the fans. The Bills looked like they were better prepared and that two minute drive for a TD had to really annoy him... pre season or not. It's one thing to hit a big play or two, but to drive 95 yards in about 80 seconds with a dink and donk attack and score a TD besides was ridiculous. He probably didn't need to say he gave the staff and earful but what's the huge deal ? 

I can appreciate that Jim Irsay listens to his fan base & demands excellence on & off the field. All noble aspirations. I realize that Jim's heart was probably in the right place wanting to build on the success we achieved last year without skipping a beat. But discipline comes in many forms & you never voice your displeasure over the world wide web. Global humiliation is never a good motivating tool. Privacy not publicity is paramount in a case like this. It's not about you Jim; it's about the team, the community, & the fans who love the blue horseshoe to their core. 

If you are gonna tweet, why not highlight some of the things we did well? The TD to TY Hilton, the strong performance of RB Vick Ballard all game long, Andrew Luck acknowledging on the sidelines that a cadance [spelling] led to a sack & that Luck is looking forward to more time in the next game to establish better rhythm with TEs & WRs, Matthew Hasselbeck looked as good as advertised, Whalen, Fleener, & Swanson on D showed flashes of greatness etc. etc.

My point is this: A game is never as bad as it looks on the 1st viewing. Yes, improvements need to be made of course & things will get tweeked like backup QB Harnish leaning to slide feet 1st vs head 1st & Fleener securing the ball after a catch. We will all learn from this as a team just be patient Mr. Irsay, relax, & view the game in it's proper context. Weaknesses will get fixed. I'm not that worried personally. Thank you.

First preseason game. Irsay can say whatever he wants to his team but when you go public that is different. No one likes to be reemed out pubicly so I would say Pagano is not happy. He will be checking his twitter account now after every bad play I am sure.

please, being a bit of a drama queen aren't you?  Over reacting at the very least.  Were you scared to leave your room the first time your parents were upset with you and sent you there?

Why are some people acting like he was a tyrant berating his "commanders", or acting like he's a spoiled rich owner throwing a hissy fit?  Most of you are on this forum daily, and most of you have all (in some way shape or form) participated (good or bad) in one of the many THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!! threads.  This is a major mountain out of a mole hill moment that people are running wild with.  Many "fans" outside of the die hards are a very fickle bunch.  To me, this tweet is nothing more than telling the fans that this type of performance isn't acceptable (preseason game 1 or not).  Not to him, not to us, and not to anybody in the locker room.  I expect way more from this team than what I saw Sunday, and I've spent no where near $140 mil.

The fact that Jim Irsay is the owner doesn't give him a pass to go crazy on Twitter & say something really, really stupid. You are the owner. You set the tone of this organization from the very top that all other coaches & players follow. Yes, you sign all the checks, but genuine chemistry cannot be bought & there is a right way & a wrong way to voice your displeasure sir. I am ashamed to call myself a Colts fan right now. No joke.

talk about harsh...???   that was a little much, SW1.    

I suppose you could call yourself a Pats Fan   :dunno:    

Also, wouldn't it have a classy move to complement how the Buffalo Bills really settled down in the 2nd half & played a solid football game. Remember that franchise has been irrelevant & in the NFL basement since the Jim Kelly QB glory days. Fans across the globe really admire when you can state that their opponent deserves credit for making more plays than we did & hopefully Bills fans will have something to cheer about this year. Mario Williams looked great & Spiller was no RB slouch either. 

I guess I've always admired coaches & owners who can swallow their pride & give the other team credit for a better performance. It sucks to lose, but humility & gratitude are always appreciated. My only exception to that rule of thumb is when my team loses the SB. I don't wanna talk to anybody then period. 

talk about harsh...???   that was a little much, SW1.    

I suppose you could call yourself a Pats Fan   :dunno:    

It's how I truly feel Gramz & I make no apologizes for that. Just because I disagree with Jim Irsay's conduct that makes me a Patriots fan? A bizarre line of reasoning there. I follow several teams in this league that I enjoy watching not just the Colts. To each their own I guess. 

It's how I truly feel Gramz & I make no apologizes for that. Just because I disagree with Jim Irsay's conduct that makes me a Patriots fan? A bizarre line of reasoning there. I follow several teams in this league that I enjoy watching not just the Colts. To each their own I guess. 

No,  what is unreasonable, is to say you are ashamed to be a Colts fan, due to a tweet from Mr. Irsay....

I just got back from work, so I'm a little late to the conversation and apologize if this has been brought up already, as I haven't read through all of the posts here.

I get chewing out whomever you believe was responsible for the lackluster performance by third stringers in a first preseason game. I mean, Jim writes the checks, it's his team and that's obviously his right. No problems there. But why go public with it?

My immediate question would be - What would Jim's reaction be, if a Colts player came out on Twitter and publicly called a personnel decision that Jim oversaw a "Crap move"?

After all, Jim is setting the precedent here.

Jim is the owner and at the top of the leadership ladder. And I'm sure that he expects a certain set of standards for his players to abide by. Any good leader is going to follow the same set of standards that he expects from his subordinates - lead by example. I'm not saying that Jim isn't a good leader. That would be asinine. But I think he did slip up a little today and was slightly hypocritical in going public with what I believe was an "in house" situation, especially if he has the same expectation from his players and coaching staff to keep things "in house".

No,  what is unreasonable, is to say you are ashamed to be a Colts fan, due to a tweet from Mr. Irsay....

Mr. Irsay sets the tone for the entire Colts organization Gramz. His money & judgement calls got Ryan Grigson hired, Chuck Pagano hired, free agents like Landry brought into the blue horseshoe fray, & Mr. Isray knows full well his media obligations doing radio & TV interviews that present the Indianapolis Colts in the best possible light & that includes social media as well. 

I have no proof of this at all. It's just my impression: Jim Irsay seems a bit preoccupied with being popular online & having millions of followers ie creating a viral beloved man of the people status almost as if Jim Irsay vs Andrew Luck wants to become the face of the franchise. Very Disturbing actually. Does he pay all the bills & can he do whatever he so desires? Absolutely.

However, the demeanor of any organization is set from the top down not the bottom up. And tell me, if your boss is about to reprimand you, would you prefer that everyone in the office sees & hears it or would you prefer that your boss does this disciplinary discussion privately behind closed doors? It's a rhetorical question BTW...It's a basic management skill that Mr. Irsay would be well advised to learn IMHO...

Mr. Irsay sets the tone for the entire Colts organization Gramz. His money & judgement calls got Ryan Grigson hired, Chuck Pagano hired, free agents like Landry brought into the blue horseshoe fray, & Mr. Isray knows full well his media obligations doing radio & TV interviews that present the Indianapolis Colts in the best possible light & that includes social media as well. 

I have no proof of this at all. It's just my impression: Jim Irsay seems a bit preoccupied with being popular online & having millions of followers ie creating a viral beloved man of the people status almost as if Jim Irsay vs Andrew Luck wants to become the face of the franchise. Very Disturbing actually. Does he pay all the bills & can he do whatever he so desires? Absolutely.

However, the demeanor of any organization is set from the top down not the bottom up. And tell me, if your boss is about to reprimand you, would you prefer that everyone in the office sees & hears it or would you prefer that your boss does this disciplinary discussion privately behind closed doors? It's a rhetorical question BTW...It's a basic management skill that Mr. Irsay would be well advised to learn IMHO...

Once again...  this was the tweet:   Many starters played briefly or were nursing little injuries,but it was a crap performance,my apologies/My commanders got n earful from me!

The part in red is just simply  a true statement.    The ~ "got n earful" part of the tweet  is what has so many upset.  

Didn't bother me in the least that he said that,  but it did bother me to hear you say that you were ashamed to be a Colts Fan.

We can just agree to disagree here.   

Irsay is crazy like a fox. Whenever anyone thinks Irsay is like Jones, just remember the Glory Hole debacle. Would Irsay EVER be that ignorant? No, last year he had a young team with zero expectations, so he predicted the playoffs. This year, we have big expectations, so he is setting the bar high. He simply knows what he is doing.

I can understand Irsay's frustration. Irsay invested a lot into the team this year with all of the acquisitions and, as any good owner, he expects wins. Especially against a rookie QB making his first professional start.

I am sure Grigson and Pagano are smart enough guys to know that that kind of play is not expected. But it seems like the first team starters looked good when they were on the field. 

It really isn't like any of these preseason games matter anyway.

Irsay is crazy like a fox. Whenever anyone thinks Irsay is like Jones, just remember the Glory Hole debacle. Would Irsay EVER be that ignorant? No, last year he had a young team with zero expectations, so he predicted the playoffs. This year, we have big expectations, so he is setting the bar high. He simply knows what he is doing.

um....what? lol

I agree with irsay it was an embarassing performance after starters sat down. They could have atkeast scored an offensive td.

Its the first PRESEASON game calm down they don't really install a full game plan and its mostly an evaluation game for the 2nd and 3rd string. Now in the 3rd preseason game when there is a full game plan installed and  we give up 44 pts and get blown out by the BROWNS no less haha then we have a few problems but this team is fine the meltdown came with 3rd string in the game although the mistakes early on are cause for concern there correctable with more practice and the 3 preseason games remaining, before the games start to count haha  

Honestly, I think this is the perfect example of people seeing what they want to see from this tweet.  If you were mad about yesterday this makes you feel like Irsay is just as mad as you.  If you just go enh yesterday was a pre-season game you might see this as Irsay playing a little bit to the fans, wouldn't be the first time.  The truth is none of us probably honestly know how Irsay meant it.  I am sure Irsay was not happy with the way the back ups played yesterday and I am sure Pagano and Grigson weren't happy either.  With that said I am sure Irsay, Pagano, and Grigson also understand it's a pre-season game and that to over react and act like the season is over because of that game is a little bit out of control.  Hey it could be Irsay was just trying to rally more out of the guys by taking advantage of the fact he knows the players like Pagano so much and by going after Pagano a little bit he's hoping they will play a little bit better for him.  Again, none of us know.  It's a tweet on twitter I wouldn't read too much into it myself but hey that's just me. 

As a leader/owner, you need to keep some distance from the fans. You can't be tweeting in house thoughts about your coaching staff to anyone that will listen on social media. The coaching staff needs to know the owner has their back , even during a ridiculous pre-season game. I understand how he was embarrassed for his team and the fans, but talk to the commanders behind closed doors. When you think about it, how many players get into trouble over Twitter. NFL teams warn players about tweeting , but I guess when you are owner , you can tweet what you want.

Just to add, tweeting to say you chastised someone is high school.

Please.

Do you, as a parent, or as a boss, Tweet when you disciple your children or employees?

I hope not.

You don't think there's a difference between owning a professional sports franchise where people pay hard earned money to see them perform,  and a family, or a business,  where discipline is handled privately?

I don't see them as being the same.

My family is not covered by ESPN.    My job is barely -- if ever -- covered by the media.

But the Colts?    They get covered practically 24/7/365.

Big, big difference......

Yeah I'm definitely nitpicking too.  I don't think Irsay was like way out of line or was up in arms or anything...I'm sure I exaggerated a bit earlier.  however, I do think his tweet could have been worded better.  When they've had really bad games in the past, he'd tweet something like "hey fans, sorry for the poor showing.  have no fear, we'll get things back on track" or something along those lines.  It was an acknowledgement that the team played poorly but they would all work together to see what's wrong and get things fixed.  This time there was just an unusual tone to it.  Basically...what Mac said.

I didn't think there was an unusual tone. I thought the message was more direct, but the tone was usual Irsay speak, I thought.

And I think it's good to keep in mind that this is a young front office and head coach that we have now. Grigson is a young GM with only a year and a half of experience. Pagano is a new head coach. I think Irsay's a little more involved than he was when it was Polian and Dungy. Not in a meddling way, not telling them how to do their jobs or overruling them or undermining them. He's not calling down to the sideline in the middle of the game like Al Davis or Jerry Jones. But I do think he's a little more visible and vocal, and I think there's a reason for that. I think most of us are seeing what's going on here, even if it's from a different vantage point sometimes.

But whenever you find yourself agreeing with amfootballl, you know you need to readjust. ;) 

Man I really hope you're right, but I'm having a hard time getting myself to believe it.  He's never shown the ability to set the edge and even Polian said that Robert (and Dwight) were simply not good at it.  He could have helped them save face and said they weren't asked to do it but he didn't. He was very frank...they aren't good at it.  

I do hope you're right and the old dog can learn some new tricks, or that the tricks were there and he just never got a chance to show it..or something like that....if not then I hope Werner picks things up really quickly (which I think he will anyway).  :)

I thought the first 2 runs were both to Mathis's side so I just rewatched.  The second play was kind of hard to tell because the ball had already been snapped on the second run by the time they were finished showing the replay of the first.  However, I watched it frame by frame a few times and I'm 90% sure the second run was also to Robert's side.  He was pancaked flat by #38 of Buffalo pretty much right after the ball was snapped.  It was hard to verify that it definitely was mathis so I rewatched and was able to find Walden on the other side of the formation.  So I'm fairly positive the first 2 runs were towards Mathis.

I'm gonna diagram it and post it later, so we all can take a closer look at it. I think it's a good topic for some football-head discussion. But I'm 99% sure that the second play went away from Mathis.

And as for Polian's comments, you have to remember that it's a much different story to set the edge as an end in a four man front than it is to set the edge as an outside backer in a three man front. 

Still, yesterday, it wasn't an issue of ability, it was an issue of discipline. It's not like Mathis got blown back off the snap, or was overmatched somehow. The first play, he tries to go inside of his blocker, which was stupid and made no sense. The second play, if I remember correctly, he should have contained on the back end, but instead went pursuing the ball and got cut down by the fullback. On neither play did he even attempt to set the edge. 

Get worried when you see Mathis at least trying to play disciplined linebacker and failing. I'm not worried when I see him freelancing and failing, because that's a discipline issue that can be corrected. 

Irsay will vote for 18 regular season games like every owner, if he could.

Irsay could have easily kept it inside the house, I personally don't like it. You can be unhappy, but the whole world does not need to know it, IMO.

Funny how Irsay seems to preach this, but when it comes time he never does....

Why are some people acting like he was a tyrant berating his "commanders", or acting like he's a spoiled rich owner throwing a hissy fit?  Most of you are on this forum daily, and most of you have all (in some way shape or form) participated (good or bad) in one of the many THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!! threads.  This is a major mountain out of a mole hill moment that people are running wild with.  Many "fans" outside of the die hards are a very fickle bunch.  To me, this tweet is nothing more than telling the fans that this type of performance isn't acceptable (preseason game 1 or not).  Not to him, not to us, and not to anybody in the locker room.  I expect way more from this team than what I saw Sunday, and I've spent no where near $140 mil.

29490-Picard-applause-clapping-gif-s5nz.

I do believe Irsay is upset as he views this as his personal stamp on the franchise, and this loss upset him. He may have felt that because Polian was 16 years his senior, he did not speak up enough during the Manning years. As Grigson is 13 years younger than Irsay , it is a different dynamic with a younger GM where Irsay feels more comfortable speaking up. Add to this , making the changes two years ago to go into a different direction , may have helped produce this tweet. Irsay , I believe , sees himself as an NFL elder statesman , who was held back in the past by Polian , and to a lesser extent Manning. The logical thing was to go with a more plyable, younger GM , who is easier to control than an older Bill Polian. Letting Manning go , and picking Luck further distanced him from the past. When you go on a different direction, there is pressure to come through for the fans, and this may have caused the tone of the tweets about the Bills game.

As fans, we just blow this preseason game over.

For him, being on the wrong side of a blowout in any game is something terrible. It's good he took matters into his own hands. Even though the fans don't take preseason seriously, they do, and this was needed.

Good job Irsay.

The first long run by Spiller was on a cut back, Spiller went left and Mathis instead of remaining on outside contain to his own side began to pursuit leaving Spiller to be able to cut back, Robert make a good attempt to bring him down but Bethea and Mathis ran into each other...The second play looked alot like the first from what I could tell (do to the poor camera work it was tough to tell as Jason said) but the game seems to be slowing down for me signficantly so its a bit easier to tell (I wish NFL Coaches Film was offered for these preseason games)