Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Not Overreact

Legend of Luck

OK, but you said the Ravens were the same franchise as the Browns , they aren't. They are two seperate franchises. Technically, the Colts are one franchise dating back to the Baltimore days. Modell did own both franchises, the Browns and the Ravens, but per agreement with the NFL, the Browns would get an expansion team in three years, be the historical continuation of the Brown's franchise, and have a new owner Lehrner. Because of this agreement, although Modell was still the owner, he became the new owner of basically an expansion franchise Baltimore Ravens, with seperate historical records from Cleveland. 

Bob Irsay took the Colts franchise from Baltimore to Indianapolis, and took all the logos, history, and records . That is the difference.

They are the same franchise....they just renamed it. The nfl can sell whatever nonsense they want to appease a fanbase, but it doesn't change the facts.

Factually, the Colts are one franchise.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been over this no they didn't your city settled with the Colts in a Court of Law over it.  Also the city of Indianapolis had nothing to do with it, it was up to the Colts and Bob Irsay wanted to keep his franchise that he bought and paid for.  That's his right it was his property.  It doesn't mean Baltimore can't celebrate what the Colts did in their city, frankly I don't anyone in Indianapolis really cares and the Colts haven't stopped the city of Baltimore from honoring old Colts in the past to the point they let old Colts players wear Baltimore Colts jackets that were flipped around to say Baltimore Ravens jackets when the Ravens played their first game in Baltimore, they have a statue of Johnny U with a Colts helmet on his head outside of the stadium, and they let the Marching Baltimore Colts keep their name and uniforms for as long as they wanted.  Had the Colts wanted to stop any of that they could have because like it or not Jim Irsay owns the trade mark on the Colts name but he elected not too.  I think you need ask your current owner why he doesn't do more to honor the Colts in Baltimore if you don't think enough is being done.  Now can we please get back on topic?

I hear you GoColts. I'm not arguing the move or anything, we've debated that before. All I was saying is that the Cleveland/Baltimore versus Baltimore/Indy is different because although you had  owners moving to another city, but the NFL made Modell give the history back to the city that was losing a team. There is a misnomer out there that both franchise moves involved similar circumstances. That was not the case. On the second point, Mr Bisciotti has done plenty to honor the old Colts Lenny Moore is always at the Raven's practice facility, and flags were at half mast at Mr. Donovan's funeral. Jim Irsay has been pretty decent in acknowledging Baltimore's past with the Colts. That being said, feel free to go back to your topic. 

Next offseason we can spend all that money by adding a ton of depth and signing a few starters, if it continues to be bad.

But he first team defense was great, and that's without Landry, Freeman, Angerer, Werner, and Chap (as he didn't play until later). And the depth on DL was very noticable. The secondary secondary (haha) was obviously very inexperienced out there. Hopefully that improves. Delano Howell played exceptionally well, however.

Next offseason we can spend all that money by adding a ton of depth and signing a few starters, if it continues to be bad.

But he first team defense was great, and that's without Landry, Freeman, Angerer, Werner, and Chap (as he didn't play until later). And the depth on DL was very noticable. The secondary secondary ( haha) was obviously very inexperienced out there. Hopefully that improves. Delano Howell played exceptionally well, however.

Sometimes I think people forget we were a team that was 2-14 and very close to going winless just two years ago.  Grigson has done a masterful job almost turning this whole roster over from that team, only Angerer, Conner, Bethea, McAfee, Mathis, Adam, Wayne, Costanzo, Ijalana, Link, Moala, Nevis, Lefeged, Reitz, and Brown remain from that team in just two years. 

They are the same franchise....they just renamed it. The nfl can sell whatever * they want to appease a fanbase, but it doesn't change the facts.

Factually, the Colts are one franchise.

Here is a quote from Brian's favorite source Wiki . " Modell would be able to retain the existing player and staff contracts, but his team would be an entirely new franchise in Baltimore, later named the Baltimore Ravens.Meanwhile, the Browns name, history, and archives would remain in Cleveland, and a new Brown's team would begin play in 1999." They did rename it, but as you can see, it isn't the same franchise. It is true the Colts are considered on franchise, but the Ravens and Browns are seperate. Now if you mean the Browns have never recovered because of the loss of Newsome and the front office, that may be true. However, they have now had 13 years to right the ship. Remember, the Ravens were 4-12, 6-9, 6-10, and 8-8 after the first four years of the move from Clevleand. The turnaround started in 2000, when Mr. Bisciotti became a minority owner to Art Modell , and put in a huge infusion of cash. Mr. Bisciotti deserves much more credit than he get for the Super Bowl 35 win. Had the ravens stayed in Cleveland under Modell, the records would have been bad, with probably no turnaround without a new Baltimore stadium, and a huge influx of cash from Steve Bisciotti. 

Here is a quote from Brian's favorite source Wiki . " Modell would be able to retain the existing player and staff contracts, but his team would be an entirely new franchise in Baltimore, later named the Baltimore Ravens.Meanwhile, the Browns name, history, and archives would remain in Cleveland, and a new Brown's team would begin play in 1999." They did rename it, but as you can see, it isn't the same franchise. It is true the Colts are considered on franchise, but the Ravens and Browns are seperate. Now if you mean the Browns have never recovered because of the loss of Newsome and the front office, that may be true. However, they have now had 13 years to right the ship. Remember, the Ravens were 4-12, 6-9, 6-10, and 8-8 after the first four years of the move from Clevleand. The turnaround started in 2000, when Mr. Bisciotti became a minority owner to Art Modell , and put in a huge infusion of cash. Mr. Bisciotti deserves much more credit than he get for the Super Bowl 35 win. Had the ravens stayed in Cleveland under Modell, the records would have been bad, with probably no turnaround without a new Baltimore stadium, and a huge influx of cash from Steve Bisciotti.

Well, if wanna believe bull, go ahead. Heck, the United States should just offer Mexico a chunk of money to take our history of slavery.

Edited by Nadine
masked profanity

To me there were only 2 things to be overly concerned about from today's game.  1. Special teams looks to still need work.  I'm hoping the people playing special teams today will not be on the roster when the games count cause today was BAD.  2.  It's a little concerning to see that we got dominated once the second team came in.  I thought we were deeper than that, but this game looked just like games did during the Peyton era.  Otherwise Luck looked great, TY looks like a beast, the running game looked better, and aside from the 1 sack that Luck took blame for, the oline looked to be better.  

It wasnt until the third team came in. When we took Matt H. out we were up 13-6.

Well, if wanna believe bull, go ahead. Heck, the United States should just offer Mexico a chunk of money to take our history of slavery.

We can all believe what we want to believe, but I'm just telling you the facts. These aren't my facts, they come from the NFL, not me. I know you don't like Baltimore, but no one was overjoyed in taking the Browns. Most everyone wanted an expansion team like Cleveland eventually got, but Taglibue saw to it that the new franchises would go to those football hotbeds of Charlotte and Jacksonville. The way you feel about this is very similar to how Baltimore feels when we see our Colt Hall of Famers under an Indianapolis moniker. Yes, technically the franchise is the same, but many people do believe a city has a lot to do with the NFL history of a team. We are the fans, we support the team, pay for the stadium, select the logos, and are born, grow up, and die with our respective football teams. No one likes these happy sports memories messed with, but that is the lot of the old Baltimore Colt's fan. Most of us celebrate our Ravens, but most see the Colts as part of our history, and it's past.  This is not a knock on Indy, but a painful reminder of historical disenfranchisement for Baltimore. Certainly we can celebrate the old Colt's history, but it's hard seeing your logos and records in another city. Maybe the civic leaders in Baltimore and Cleveland weren't the best, but the fans are always the ones hammered. Honestly, I wouldn't want the Browns records when they moved, or their logos. I'm a football historian and purist, and I don't like franchise shifting unless the league or team is falling apart. 

We can all believe what we want to believe, but I'm just telling you the facts. These aren't my facts, they come from the NFL, not me. I know you don't like Baltimore, but no one was overjoyed in taking the Browns. Most everyone wanted an expansion team like Cleveland eventually got, but Taglibue saw to it that the new franchises would go to those football hotbeds of Charlotte and Jacksonville. The way you feel about this is very similar to how Baltimore feels when we see our Colt Hall of Famers under an Indianapolis moniker. Yes, technically the franchise is the same, but many people do believe a city has a lot to do with the NFL history of a team. We are the fans, we support the team, pay for the stadium, select the logos, and are born, grow up, and die with our respective football teams. No one likes these happy sports memories messed with, but that is the lot of the old Baltimore Colt's fan. Most of us celebrate our Ravens, but most see the Colts as part of our history, and it's past.  This is not a knock on Indy, but a painful reminder of historical disenfranchisement for Baltimore. Certainly we can celebrate the old Colt's history, but it's hard seeing your logos and records in another city. Maybe the civic leaders in Baltimore and Cleveland weren't the best, but the fans are always the ones hammered. Honestly, I wouldn't want the Browns records when they moved, or their logos. I'm a football historian and purist, and I don't like franchise shifting unless the league or team is falling apart. 

No see that's the thing you ignore facts like that Baltimore settled with Colts over this issue in court.  Also people in Indianapolis really don't care about Baltimore, in fact knowing a lot of Hoosiers I would dare they are happy that Baltimore ended up with a team.  I figured you would have gotten that by all the times you bring this topic up by now.  We just get sick of hearing about 30 years after the event like we had anything to do with it, all we did was embrace a football team that came to our town.  The Colts name and colors aren't coming back and they are going to embrace their franchise history just as Baltimore is going to embrace their city's history.  Maybe it's time to come to grips with the fact you aren't the only ones who can lay claim to this history but the Colts franchise can as well.  Several players have been able to do that like Raymond Berry so why not you too?  As for the names and colors not coming back go embrace Ravens they are there now.  Rather than wanting something to come back to you I would appreciate what you have now before it leaves you too and I don't mean the Ravens moving towns I mean all the great players you've gotten to watch since the Ravens came to Baltimore, they aren't going to play forever. 

It wasnt until the third team came in. When we took Matt H. out we were up 13-6.

I think it was 10-6 but I could be wrong.  I thought Harnish got them the last field goal.  That's something to factor in though, they still had their starting QB in when we were on our third string QB.  Generally speaking if your starting QB is in he's not the only starter on the field.  If we had Harnish in it would tend to mean we were down to back ups and maybe even some third stringers.  I am guessing our defense followed a similar substitution pattern to the offense, in which case at points in the first half it was probably the Bills starters vs. our back ups and in some cases in third stringers. 

With that all said the whole game really turned on the kickoff return.  I am not sure if we can put that on the back ups or not.  Like I said in another thread, I just think they are still figuring out who is going to be on special teams but the problem is right now no one is making an impact in the coverage units on special teams other than Brown and Conner.  In the return game the only one really making an impact was Hilton on punt returns.  In fairness we saw a couple of guys return kickoff returns today that they would never do in a game and that's because you don't make a roster as a return man by taking knees in the pre-season. 

Just clearing up some possible misinformation. This may keep people from over reacting if they don't think about the Bills game. 

It is my opinion that you are not clearing things up....you find ways to introduce this subject and then "reeducate" the fanbase here to your beliefs. This is an open forum, so as long as people follow the guidelines, they can post regardless of their team colors, and so on.

This subject reappears almost exclusively around your posts. This is not a coincidence. For what it is worth, Colt fans would really like to see this subject go away. Is it ok If we just move on from this and not look for opportunities to reopen this discussion? If it gets brought up again, and you are in the thread, and do not take part...I will personally apologize to you if I see it.

I am glad we have fans of other teams that frequent this site. It is one of the special things about this place. I hope you continue to post, I just have to call what I see. I hope you are not taking this as being jumped on, because that is not what I intend.

We can all believe what we want to believe, but I'm just telling you the facts. These aren't my facts, they come from the NFL, not me. I know you don't like Baltimore, but no one was overjoyed in taking the Browns. Most everyone wanted an expansion team like Cleveland eventually got, but Taglibue saw to it that the new franchises would go to those football hotbeds of Charlotte and Jacksonville. The way you feel about this is very similar to how Baltimore feels when we see our Colt Hall of Famers under an Indianapolis moniker. Yes, technically the franchise is the same, but many people do believe a city has a lot to do with the NFL history of a team. We are the fans, we support the team, pay for the stadium, select the logos, and are born, grow up, and die with our respective football teams. No one likes these happy sports memories messed with, but that is the lot of the old Baltimore Colt's fan. Most of us celebrate our Ravens, but most see the Colts as part of our history, and it's past. This is not a knock on Indy, but a painful reminder of historical disenfranchisement for Baltimore. Certainly we can celebrate the old Colt's history, but it's hard seeing your logos and records in another city. Maybe the civic leaders in Baltimore and Cleveland weren't the best, but the fans are always the ones hammered. Honestly, I wouldn't want the Browns records when they moved, or their logos. I'm a football historian and purist, and I don't like franchise shifting unless the league or team is falling apart.

After reading your posts I want to shoot myself in the head. There is just no reasoning with you.

I have never said a bad word about Baltimore....so I don't know where you got that.

No see that's the thing you ignore facts like that Baltimore settled with Colts over this issue in court.  Also people in Indianapolis really don't care about Baltimore, in fact knowing a lot of Hoosiers I would dare they are happy that Baltimore ended up with a team.  I figured you would have gotten that by all the times you bring this topic up by now.  We just get sick of hearing about 30 years after the event like we had anything to do with it, all we did was embrace a football team that came to our town.  The Colts name and colors aren't coming back and they are going to embrace their franchise history just as Baltimore is going to embrace their city's history.  Maybe it's time to come to grips with the fact you aren't the only ones who can lay claim to this history but the Colts franchise can as well.  Several players have been able to do that like Raymond Berry so why not you too?  As for the names and colors not coming back go embrace Ravens they are there now.  Rather than wanting something to come back to you I would appreciate what you have now before it leaves you too and I don't mean the Ravens moving towns I mean all the great players you've gotten to watch since the Ravens came to Baltimore, they aren't going to play forever. 

I'm trying to get there. I am really trying to like Jim Irsay, though it is hard sometimes. I'm not trying to relive all that old stuff, but just telling Blood I feel bad for what Cleveland went through, because we went through it. I think we all realize the colors and logos aren't coming back, and are fine with it. It just makes going to the Hall of Fame strange for a lot of us. I'm fine with the Ravens, and fine with the Colts in Indy. I just like all the players that played in Baltimore, Colt or Raven. I appreciate both, as I witnessed and was a fan of both. If an Indy fan likes the old Colts who played in Baltimore, I'm fine with that too. 

It is my opinion that you are not clearing things up....you find ways to introduce this subject and then "reeducate" the fanbase here to your beliefs. This is an open forum, so as long as people follow the guidelines, they can post regardless of their team colors, and so on.

This subject reappears almost exclusively around your posts. This is not a coincidence. For what it is worth, Colt fans would really like to see this subject go away. Is it ok If we just move on from this and not look for opportunities to reopen this discussion? If it gets brought up again, and you are in the thread, and do not take part...I will personally apologize to you if I see it.

I am glad we have fans of other teams that frequent this site. It is one of the special things about this place. I hope you continue to post, I just have to call what I see. I hope you are not taking this as being jumped on, because that is not what I intend.

No problem. There are plenty of other topics to discuss. I guess everyone knows where I stand on this, so lets move on. 

It was a mistimed play, as LoL said. Castonzo never had a chance.

Mistimed by whom? Everybody but the Bills D?  Not on just Luck's shoulders. on all of the players. Especially LT.  Never let a guy go around you untouched... ever.

And Luck has to take the blame, no throwing the lineman under the bus... as one once did a good while ago...

Mistimed by whom? Everybody but the Bills D?  Not on just Luck's shoulders. on all of the players. Especially LT.  Never let a guy go around you untouched... ever.

And Luck has to take the blame, no throwing the lineman under the bus... as one once did a good while ago...

Watch the play no one on offense moved except for Luck.  Sometimes QBs get the snap count wrong too. 

Watch the play no one on offense moved except for Luck.  Sometimes QBs get the snap count wrong too. 

K, got it on DVR.  Can take stills if necessary. In real time to me it looked everybody BUT Luck, Costanzo, and the center was  moving. By the time Luck got back, the defender wrapped him up.  I'll look careful in the am.

And if Luck moved early, that is a false start.

K, got it on DVR.  Can take stills if necessary. In real time to me it looked everybody BUT Luck, Costanzo, and the center was  moving. By the time Luck got back, the defender wrapped him up.  I'll look careful in the am.

Then maybe Luck, Satele and Castonzo got the count right and everyone else was off or vice versa.  All I know from watching the play Luck looked he was off, or he was on and others were off.  I think that sack goes more on miscommunication of the snap count more than anything else. 

I also DVR'd the game and have watched it several times in slow mo and frame by frame.  Luck definitely moves early and for some reason McGlynn moved at the same time as Luck.  However, the other 9 offensive players were still in their stance when Luck first moved.  

As to the last statement, you're right and it definitely should have been a penalty which could have been called on either Luck or McGlynn.  

To your last point, I wondered why that wasn't called a false start at the time, pre-season for the Refs too I guess.

Well regardless of first, second, third, or fourth stringers you still don't like to be whooped...especially by the BILLS.

We need depth, and hopefully we can find it out of the group we have or modify it to get where we want to be.

On the other hand I was slightly discouraged by Fleener, but hope he will not be discouraged like me.

We certainly shouldn't over react, but some of my grievances were reinforced in that game. I genuinely do not see where our pass-rush comes from outside of Mathis, and potentially Werner. Those two alone cannot be our only source of QB pressure, if so, we are going to have to blitz a lot which could open things up for good QBs.

I also was not overly impressed with our starting O-Line, whilst their time was limited, there seemed to be pressure coming down the middle, as was the case all of last year. Run-blocking was okay.

I do not understand people being impressed by Kerwynn Williams, I thought he looked very ordinary, and not overly explosive when running the ball and he was terrible when returning, though he didn't get many blocks. Don't see him making the roster, but he still has a chance to impress, he will definitely not be in the first cuts.

Also, lets pray we do not get too many secondary injuries this season, there is a huge drop-off in talent between our starting secondary and the rest.

Other than that, things still look fine. First team offense looked good.

Given that a healthy number of the Colts' 1s didn't even make it on the field yesterday, and those that did weren't on the field long... I think our primary depth showed it could hang with Buffalo's starters. There were a bunch of guys playing early in the 2nd quarter who will be looking for jobs at Marsh soon.

Yes, there are things to clean up.  Fortunately there is still time to do so.  I don't care about record in pre-season, just individual execution. Who knows and performs their assignments, and who doesn't.  I take GC8818 and J_S word about the snap snafu. Point being not so much who to blame but that it just needs to be fixed.  I think we'll get there.  Looking forward to the next game.

Like I said in another post - let's say the mis timing was on Satele, and the sack was on Castonzo.  Will people quit obsessing over it then?

It's one sack, in a preseason game.  It's going to happen in the regular season, more than once.  And it's going to happen to teams with the best O line in the NFL too.

Bottom line is that the starting O line played pretty well in it's first real game together.  Those posters who couldn't even wait for the game to end before doing their Chicken Little dances and already deemed Grigs a failure are clueless IMHO. 

We lost the first preseason game.....abandon ship!!! 

Your right, we lost a game that no one really tries to win and doesn't count.  We're doomed.

People always over react to pre season games.  Most of the game is played by guys that won't even be in the NFL in September.  

You can't tell much based on a couple of drives by the starters. 

We certainly shouldn't over react, but some of my grievances were reinforced in that game. I genuinely do not see where our pass-rush comes from outside of Mathis, and potentially Werner. Those two alone cannot be our only source of QB pressure, if so, we are going to have to blitz a lot which could open things up for good QBs.

I also was not overly impressed with our starting O-Line, whilst their time was limited, there seemed to be pressure coming down the middle, as was the case all of last year. Run-blocking was okay.

I do not understand people being impressed by Kerwynn Williams, I thought he looked very ordinary, and not overly explosive when running the ball and he was terrible when returning, though he didn't get many blocks. Don't see him making the roster, but he still has a chance to impress, he will definitely not be in the first cuts.

Also, lets pray we do not get too many secondary injuries this season, there is a huge drop-off in talent between our starting secondary and the rest.

I thought Sidbury did a nice job of getting some QB pressure, and Rayford even did too later in the game.  I thought Rayford looked lost for the first several plays he was in on but he seemed to settle down some later on.  He still needs to learn how to defend the run but he got pressure a few times.  He had a sack/fumble late in the game.  

As for the CB's, I'm happy with 1-5 as long as they stay 1-5.  If we get to a point where Vaughn and Gordy have to cover the other team's top WR's then we're in trouble...but to be fair I think that could be said of any team if they get in a situation where their #4 and 5 CB have to cover the other team's starters.  I think Allen Chapman showed potential.  Price, Swanson and Green all got schooled big time though.

as for the OL, considering this was their first time playing together in live action, I thought they did relatively well.  Obviously we want to see improvement but considering this was their starting point I think we will be much better off than last year.  Depth is an issue until we see what we have in thornton and Holmes, but I will say that I thought Reitz and Ijalana played well at LT in the 4th quarter.

We lost the first preseason game.....abandon ship!!! 

Women and children first, band required to play us off as the LOS sinks slowly with Captain Irsay staring stoically into the face of his own demise.

Or we could just all calm down and talk about kittens, everyone likes kittens right?

Not aimed at you Lolly BTW!  

I hope/expect more of our rush to come from scheme than pure pass rushing talent, not something we're likely to see much of in the preseason. If we get some free rushers we'll get pressure. Looks like we won't know if it works until the Raiders game. :/