Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Sign S Ashante Williams

cjwhiskers

Either Joe is going to be out of service for awhile or the depth has not be impressive.

I think the depth is a concern with no Boyett out, Keep in mind we had a couple of Safeties last year who are still on the team (Howell for example off the top of my head) who did not make any significant impact so I think depth is a concern as much as injury., I just think they are trying to find a healthy body for back up Safety who shows some form of talent

Either Joe is going to be out of service for awhile or the depth has not be impressive.

Landry sat out yesterday, Sergio Brown been sitting out for a while, Lefeged got hurt yesterday and Bethea and Landry won't be playing much the preseason games. Therefore we need some safety help to get through practices and preseason games. Typical training camp moves do to injuries and stuff.

Not really impressed from what i've seen from Williams. He's small 5'10 200 lbs, not fast 4.62 40, and only has 1 int in 4 years of college. I know it's only for preseason but we should at least sign someone with some play making ability.

Who do you have in mind?

I think the depth is a concern with no Boyett out, Keep in mind we had a couple of Safeties last year who are still on the team (Howell for example off the top of my head) who did not make any significant impact so I think depth is a concern as much as injury., I just think they are trying to find a healthy body for back up Safety who shows some form of talent

Yeah, he's a real longshot to make the team.  But we'll need someone to play S in the second half of the preseason games.

The kid played some LB at Illinois so he's probably pretty tough. 

Who do you have in mind?

Vaughn Telemaque, FS, 6'2 205 lbs, played alongside Ray Ray Armstrong, outshined him in some games has a nice combination of size,speed, and range.

For a veteran i would go after Sherrod Martin recently played for the Panthers.

I would sign both instead of Ashante and cut Lefedged and Sergio Brown.

Here are some of Vaughn highlights hes #7

Not really impressed from what i've seen from Williams. He's small 5'10 200 lbs, not fast 4.62 40, and only has 1 int in 4 years of college. I know it's only for preseason but we should at least sign someone with some play making ability.

I think he has potential to be a good player -- special teamer at least.  He is tough, plays faster than his 40 and he only started 1 year of college.  He made some mistakes early in his career and Ron Zook made him ride the bench, though he had the skills to be a starter as a sophomore.  New coach came in when he was a senior and gave him a clean slate and he had a very good year.  I think he would've been a 4-6 round pick if it weren't for the off-field issues that plagued him as a freshman/sophomore.  He seems to be over those issues now.

If we bring this kid on board, I will not be the least bit shocked if he made our 53, and definitely think he will at least make the practice squad.

I think he has potential to be a good player -- special teamer at least.  He is tough, plays faster than his 40 and he only started 1 year of college.  He made some mistakes early in his career and Ron Zook made him ride the bench, though he had the skills to be a starter as a sophomore.  New coach came in when he was a senior and gave him a clean slate and he had a very good year.  I think he would've been a 4-6 round pick if it weren't for the off-field issues that plagued him as a freshman/sophomore.  He seems to be over those issues now.

If we bring this kid on board, I will not be the least bit shocked if he made our 53, and definitely think he will at least make the practice squad.

Of course he could  be a good special teams player most of the safeties can. After Bethea and Landry we don't have a 3rd safety that can come in if one of those guys misses a few games. Lefedged has legal issues, Boyett is hurt, and Sergio Brown isn't good. Ashante is nothing more then a special teams player we need a safety who can cover and make plays on the ball.

Vaughn Telemaque, FS, 6'2 205 lbs, played alongside Ray Ray Armstrong, outshined him in some games has a nice combination of size,speed, and range.

For a veteran i would go after Sherrod Martin recently played for the Panthers.

I would sign both instead of Ashante and cut Lefedged and Sergio Brown.

Here are some of Vaughn highlights hes #7

They're both FS types, right?  Apparently they wanted someone more in the 'S in the box' SS type.  I really don't know much about the three of them other than what I've read.  But there must be a reason that none of them are on an NFL team.

Since this is probably a move brought on by injuries, and he'll probably be cut unless he's a star, they may consider contract costs first.  A vet like Martin is going to cost more.  You may be right, he may have more of a chance to make the team.  But unless we have a bad injury, it's most likely going to be as a backup and ST player.

Of course he could  be a good special teams player most of the safeties can. After Bethea and Landry we don't have a 3rd safety that can come in if one of those guys misses a few games. Lefedged has legal issues, Boyett is hurt, and Sergio Brown isn't good. Ashante is nothing more then a special teams player we need a safety who can cover and make plays on the ball.

I think he would be a good special teamer, and I think he has the skills to be a decent back-up.  My point is, he never put up great numbers in college b/c he never really saw the field in college.  This was never due to his playing ability, it was due to the fact that he made a few mistakes as a 19/20 year old kid and coach Zook never let go of that grudge.  He started as a senior, under a new coach, and IMO, did very well in his first season where he was really called upon. 

There are not many very good safeties available right now, there are still questions about Lefeged's legal issues (Lefeged is a very solid backup, IMO, if he is actually able to suit up), and I think that Ashante coming into camp would be nothing but good -- increases competition, kid is a very good athlete, and much stronger than his size.  I worry about him a little bit with only 1 year of real playing experience under his belt, but think he could come in and surprise if he were called upon as a back-up -- if not, I don't think he is much worse than Brown, I am not really sold that Boyett will do anything productive for this team if/when he becomes healthy, and at the very least Ashante could be a good developmental project on our PS.