Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Power Rankings

AllYouNeedIsLuck

I've seen many power rankings so far but I thought I'd get an idea of all you guys ideas on where teams rank in the NFL in July. 

A lot can change until the season starts but these are mine as of now.

1. 49ers

2. Broncos

3. Seahawks

4. Falcons

5. Ravens

6. Patriots

7. Packers

8. Colts

9. Saints

10. Texans 

11. Giants

12. Bengals

13. Redskins

14. Vikings

15. Rams

16. Bears

17. Panthers

18. Dolphins

19. Lions

20. Steelers

21. Cowboys

22. Bucs

23. Titans

24. Cardinals 

25. Chiefs

26. Chargers

27. Bills

28. Eagles

29. Jets

30. Browns

31. Jaguars 

32. Raiders

I bet in a so called nfl analysts opinion we would be way further down the list but I have no argument with yours, although I would put the packers into 4th over the patriots and ravens and I would have the broncos as number 1 over the niners, they have a savage defense and o line other than that they aren't the greatest everyone makes them out to be

I think what makes the NFL so awesome is how fast you can completely turn a team around. Could you imagine if back in 2010 someone told you the 49ers, Seahawks, and Texans would all be among the top 10 teams by 2013? I know they were kinda on the upswing but they were still pretty bad teams.

I remember getting into so many arguments with Bears fans up here in Northwest Indiana because they thought it would take at least 5 years for the Colts to be good again when Peyton was released. Theyre looking pretty dumb now. I honestly think with how wide open the AFC is this year with of all the probs the Pats have and with Balt losing a ton of key players, it wouldnt be completely shocking if the Colts won the conference. The season cant get here soon enough!

Anytime of year, I love power rankings (sarcasm) after all it ranks the "power" at which our team operates.......sitting high upon the list at #8 means we are currently generating 8 jigawatts of power even in the downtime of the 2013 season.........that's enough to power 2.73 deloreans and a battery operated hot dog cart......I am geeked ;)

Call me a homer if you wish, but I honestly think we can finish 4th or 5th overall. A lot of things have to come together for this to happen, but the potential is there to have a great team.

But we're not getting to the Rose Bowl for the National Championship unless we finish one or two. Those othe BCS games are meaningless IMO.

I bet in a so called nfl analysts opinion we would be way further down the list but I have no argument with yours, although I would put the packers into 4th over the patriots and ravens and I would have the broncos as number 1 over the niners, they have a savage defense and o line other than that they aren't the greatest everyone makes them out to be

also think analysts , at  least some of the so called experts , are saying we will regress and so would be further down the list as u point out

I dont think they are adding in our off season improvements in their opinions

Actually,  in the few early power rankings that I've seen we're typically somewhere around 12 or so, give or take 1/2 spots...

We're right on the border of the playoff caliber teams.    And, for right now, with all our changes,  I'm OK with that......

Case in point  week 1 odds

Oakland Raiders (+7) at Indianapolis Colts

I think the Colts are overrated, and most fans' expectations are too high. They got lucky against an easy schedule in 2012.

But the Raiders are pretty awful, so this line isn't completely out of whack. I like the Colts straight up, Raiders to beat the spread. I'm not sold on Andrew Luck yet, and Oakland usually comes to play in Week 1. Indianapolis could be a good first-week selection in suicide pools.

http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2013/07/09/nfl_2013_week_1_odds.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SportsCentral+%28Sports+Central%29

Ok I'll play. 

I really think the Pats take a hit this year. 68% of their TD targets are gone this year. Yes, Gronk will come back eventually, but I think he'll get hurt again. I also think the Ravens are going to have a tough time duplicating last year. I'll admit I might be a little bias toward The Colts .....Anyways, here's my take: 

49ers

Broncos

Seahawks

Falcons

Packers

Texans

Patriots

Giants

Colts

Ravens

Redskins

Saints

Bengals

Vikings

Dolphins

Rams

Lions

Eagles

Bears

Panthers

Chargers

Cowboys

Steelers

Bucs

Titans

Chiefs (The Chefs....Great Googley Moogley) I still love that Snickerz commerical

Cardinals 

Jets

Bills

Browns

Jaguars 

Raiders

1. 49ers

2. Broncos

3. Falcons

4. Ravens

5. Seahawks

6. Packers

7. Patriots

8. Colts

9. Steelers

10. Texans

11. Rams

12. Giants

13. Cowboys

14. Bucs

15. Redskins

16. Dolphins

17. Vikings

18. Saints

19. Bengals

20. Chiefs

21. Panthers

22. Titans

23. Lions

24. Bears

25. Browns

26. Cardinals

27. Chargers

28. Eagles

29. Jets

30. Bills

31. Jaguars

32. Raiders

If I were to WAG this dog...

1.  49ers
2.  Seahawks

3.  Broncos
4.  Packers

5.  Falcons

6.  Patriots

7.  Texans

8.  Vikings
9.  Colts

10.  Giants

11.  Bucs

12.  Dolphins

13.  Bengals

14.  Saints

15.  Ravens

16.  Redskins

17.  Steelers

18.  Rams
19.  Chiefs

20.  Titans

21.  Bears

22.  Chargers

23.  Cowboys

24.  Browns

25.  Lions

26.  Panthers

27.  Cardinals

28.  Bills

29.  Eagles

30.  Jets

31.  Jaguars

32.  Raiders

I would put us at 12.  I dont think we are better than the Saint, Texans or Giants overall.  Who created this particualr power ranking list?

From the OP: "A lot can change until the season starts but these are mine as of now." It helps to read the whole post.

I meant power rankings at the end of the season.

That's my standard joke. I think power polls are useless, they're just opinions that are meaningless in the NFL. what was the Ravens ranking at the end of the regular season, and did they care?

I'll give it a go -

I think the Bucs surprise some people this year and Patriots and Ravens have difficulties repeating recent success.

1. Seahawks
  2. Broncos
  3. 49ers'
  4. Falcons
  5. Packers
  6. Patriots
  7. Texans
  8. Colts
  9. Ravens
  10. Redskins
  11. Saints
  12. Bengals
  13. Bucs
  14. Vikings
  15. Steelers
  16. Giants
  17. Rams
  18. Dolphins
  19. Cowboys
  20. Chiefs
  21. Panthers
  22. Bears
  23. Lions
  24. Cardinals
  25. Browns
  26. Eagles
  27. Chargers
  28. Titans
  29. Bills
  30. Jets
  31. Jaguars
  32. Raiders

I am shocked at how people are overlooking the Redskins here.

I have a couple questions about the Redskins myself. I'm not sure whether they are going to adjust their offense and tighten the reins on Griffin, or if they are going to keep attacking the way they did last year. If they do adjust, I wonder how effective their traditional run game will be. I also wonder if Griffin is going to be 100%, and what impact the potential lingering effects from his knee surgery will have.

The defense should be fine. They get Brian Orakpo back. 

I would probably rank them top 12 or so. But whenever I do these kind of rankings, I use groupings. So I'd have the Redskins in with several other teams that have question marks in my mind.

I have a couple questions about the Redskins myself. I'm not sure whether they are going to adjust their offense and tighten the reins on Griffin, or if they are going to keep attacking the way they did last year. If they do adjust, I wonder how effective their traditional run game will be. I also wonder if Griffin is going to be 100%, and what impact the potential lingering effects from his knee surgery will have.

The defense should be fine. They get Brian Orakpo back. 

I would probably rank them top 12 or so. But whenever I do these kind of rankings, I use groupings. So I'd have the Redskins in with several other teams that have question marks in my mind.

Griffin's problems came on scrambles. I sort of buy into what Kyle Shanahan said in regards to the Read-Option often protecting a QB from hits due to the difficulty in blitzing when you don't know where the ball is going... even more so than normal play-action.

If anyone thinks that Shanahan isn't going to do whatever he can to protect their his star player, they are kidding themselves. And you better believe that what Griffin has been through this off-season, he will be much more aware of when he should avoid taking unnecessary hits. I also think he will be back to full health, an athlete like him, with the best physiotherapy in the world, will probably come back stronger.

They have a good O-Line, a good receiving core and an incredibly talented QB. They also have one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL coming back. To me, they are easily a top-10 team, maybe top-8... potentially top-5.

Griffin's problems came on scrambles. I sort of buy into what Kyle Shanahan said in regards to the Read-Option often protecting a QB from hits due to the difficulty in blitzing when you don't know where the ball is going... even more so than normal play-action.

If anyone thinks that Shanahan isn't going to do whatever he can to protect their his star player, they are kidding themselves. And you better believe that what Griffin has been through this off-season, he will be much more aware of when he should avoid taking unnecessary hits. I also think he will be back to full health, an athlete like him, with the best physiotherapy in the world, will probably come back stronger.

They have a good O-Line, a good receiving core and an incredibly talented QB. They also have one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL coming back. To me, they are easily a top-10 team, maybe top-8... potentially top-5.

After watching the last Redskins game I wouldn't count on Shanahan protecting anyone.

After watching the last Redskins game I wouldn't count on Shanahan protecting anyone.

Yeah but at the same time he is far from a stupid man. His desperation to win a playoff game obviously clouded his judgement. Redskins gave up the 11th least sacks in the league last year despite RG3 running around in the backfield constantly. I expect that to improve, because when the Read Option is there, it makes it very difficult for defenses to blitz.

I am shocked at how people are overlooking the Redskins here.

I would never ever wish an injury on anyone, but I see RG3 a little along the likes of Vick's talent. The are the fastest player on the field, and they can blow past almost anyone at will. They both get a little sense of trusting their speed a little too much, and that leads to injuries. Again, I hope both of them stay healthy, but I have a sense that isn't going to be 100% the case. 

I would never ever wish an injury on anyone, but I see RG3 a little along the likes of Vick's talent. The are the fastest player on the field, and they can blow past almost anyone at will. They both get a little sense of trusting their speed a little too much, and that leads to injuries. Again, I hope both of them stay healthy, but I have a sense that isn't going to be 100% the case. 

lol, okay...

Yeah but at the same time he is far from a stupid man. His desperation to win a playoff game obviously clouded his judgement. Redskins gave up the 11th least sacks in the league last year despite RG3 running around in the backfield constantly. I expect that to improve, because when the Read Option is there, it makes it very difficult for defenses to blitz.

Yep, and having a stud RB like Morris only helps the offense and passing game more. I predicted them to win the division last year and I think they'll do it again this year.

1. Seahawks - Solid all around

2. 49ers - questionable recievers, Great pretty much everywhere else

3. Denver- Good pass rush, great passing game

4. Packers- Bad run game, great passing game, good defensive playmakers

5. Falcons- See above

6. Colts- Much needs to be seen, but I'd say just about solid all around now. w/ great passing, good LBs

7. Texans- I don't think they take any steps back, great defense, and an improved passing game

8. Bucs- Solid running game, improved passing game, great run stoppers

9. Cowboys- Solid team all around, but need improved play from some players

10. Bengals- Great D, good passing game, needs improved running game.

11. Saints- Questionable D, but game changing passing game

12. Patriots- Only so low because their recieving playmakers are gone, but Brady can make guys good.

13. Ravens- Lost a lot of key players, but gaining plenty of talent in return.

14. Redskins- Getting some injured guys back this season will only make them better in my eyes.

15. Giants- Last year felt like a slump year. So I'm cutting them some slack.

16. Dolphins- Off season editions have made them look more threatening, but how improved are they?

17. Vikings- Passing game needs some energy, because AP can't carry the offense on his pack.

18. Bears- Team needs some more dicipline or something, Great playmakers, underwhelming results

19. Steelers- The team looks like a mess, but there is too much history of winning to count them out.

20. Titans- A possible contender for most improved. If they get their running game going, watch out.

21. Rams- They're being coming solid all around, but they seem to lack big playmakers. Who steps up?

22. Cardinals- Great D, great offensive weapons. If they can get the QB situation together expect results

23. Chargers- I expect improvement overall, and their bad season was overblown. 

24. Lions- Few big playmakers carrying the team. They need improvement and depth.

25. Chiefs- Good D, good running game, and likely an improved passing game.

26. Bills- Above, but with a little less D.

27. Panthers- No compelling arguement either way for these guys. Nothing terrible nothing special

28. Eagles- These guys just seem full of bad luck. 

29. Jets- The team looks like it needs an overhaul. 

30. Browns- Honestly, I feel they should go higher, but I just don't think I buy into Weedon yet.

31. Jaguars- I tend to hype the Jags up a bit each year, and they never fail to have a bad season.

32. Raiders- I don't think any team comes close to the lack of solidity the Oakland has. Any playmakers out there want to cut their career short and go to Oakland?

The problem with Griffin is not the read option etc.,it's Griffin himself.