Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts attend CB Damond Smith's Pro Day

MTC

I thought the off-season restarted for a second there. Was tryna figure out how a Pro Day occurs in July. Forgot about the Supp. Draft :slaphead:

If we take this kid, wonder what draft pick we give up for him?

Isn't the "rule" whatever pick you use, you won't have in the next Draft in April? Or something like that?

:thinking:

I thought the off-season restarted for a second there. Was tryna figure out how a Pro Day occurs in July. Forgot about the Supp. Draft :slaphead:

If we take this kid, wonder what draft pick we give up for him?

Isn't the "rule" whatever pick you use, you won't have in the next Draft in April? Or something like that?

:thinking:

Thats's correct. If we bid say a 4th round pick , it's cost would be next year's 4th. The supplemental "draft order" is not the same as it was for Aprils college draft. It's done in some kind of "weighted" format , some what like how the NBA draft order is determined.

I've read in a couple different forums that this could be the first time ever or at least in a good many years , this years Sup. draft might not have a player selected. If true this would mean maybe the Colts would spend 2014 7th ? Think we have one... right ?

Thats's correct. If we bid say a 4th round pick , it's cost would be next year's 4th. The supplemental "draft order" is not the same as it was for Aprils college draft. It's done in some kind of "weighted" format , some what like how the NBA draft order is determined.

I've read in a couple different forums that this could be the first time ever or at least in a good many years , this years Sup. draft might not have a player selected. If true this would mean maybe the Colts would spend 2014 7th ? Think we have one... right ?

We don't have a 4th next year, just in case anyone was wondering. Gave it up for Montori Hughes. I'm pretty sure we still have the rest of our picks next year, though. So if we big a 7th, we'd be okay.

However, the Packers tried to sign this guy for a tryout, so there's definitely interest. Not sure that they'd bid on him in the Supplemental Draft, but he's not exactly under the radar. 

I think -- stress, think -- we have two 7's next year.   Our own, plus Baltimore's for the Shipley deal.

What I'm not sure about were the terms of the Gordy deal.   We traded a pick to St. Louis for him.   Anyone recall the terms?

A 6 or a 7?    Anyone?

I think -- stress, think -- we have two 7's next year.   Our own, plus Baltimore's for the Shipley deal.

What I'm not sure about were the terms of the Gordy deal.   We traded a pick to St. Louis for him.   Anyone recall the terms?

A 6 or a 7?    Anyone?

I believe it's a conditional 7th for Gordy. No idea what the conditions are, though.

I think the 7th for Shipley is conditional also.

But I believe the pick you surrender for a supplemental draft pick has to be your own pick.

I believe it's a conditional 7th for Gordy. No idea what the conditions are, though.

I think the 7th for Shipley is conditional also.

But I believe the pick you surrender for a supplemental draft pick has to be your own pick.

Wouldn't it be like Vontae where he has to play a certain amount or something like that?

Idk these terms for trades and all that. I just look at who we got and move on lol

Wouldn't it be like Vontae where he has to play a certain amount or something like that?

Idk these terms for trades and all that. I just look at who we got and move on lol

That's pretty much all I know about the conditions. It could be that he just has to be on the final roster after camp, or it could be that he has to appear in 4 games, or 8 games, or whatever.

Wasn't he the guy at South Alabama that got into a fight with a teammate during the game and got kicked off the team and also had failed drug tests and dismissed from Western Michigan and South Alabama? That name sounds familiar

Quote -  and while 5'11" is a bit short for a CB today it is still ideal size for a FS/SS.

Um, somebody go tell Revis he needs to move to S because he is too short for corner...

Sorry, that article hardly has any value if they are projecting a S position based on 'size' when referencing his height.  If he was 5-11 210, I could see his size being ideal for S.  But according to: http://newswithtags.com/National%20Football%20League/bleacherreport-start-time-date-and-list-of-eligible-players#.Ud1wBvnvsvk, he measures 5-11 - 181.  That is far from safety size.

5-11 is pretty much average for a corner.  There are a few longer guys, but for the most part, CBs are shorter than WRs.  Tim Jennings 5-8.  Ronde Barber 5-10. Vontae Davis 5-11.

Here is my question.  why is he in the Sup draft?  Did he do something to get in trouble.  Cause thats usually why they are.  If he is a trouble maker.  Do we really need another one?  He looks like he could be good.  But with all the trouble this year.  I just dont think talent out weighs trouble.

Quote -  and while 5'11" is a bit short for a CB today it is still ideal size for a FS/SS.

Um, somebody go tell Revis he needs to move to S because he is too short for corner...

Sorry, that article hardly has any value if they are projecting a S position based on 'size' when referencing his height.  If he was 5-11 210, I could see his size being ideal for S.  But according to: http://newswithtags.com/National%20Football%20League/bleacherreport-start-time-date-and-list-of-eligible-players#.Ud1wBvnvsvk, he measures 5-11 - 181.  That is far from safety size.

5-11 is pretty much average for a corner.  There are a few longer guys, but for the most part, CBs are shorter than WRs.  Tim Jennings 5-8.  Ronde Barber 5-10. Vontae Davis 5-11.

Really,  really good post.    Very well said!

A big +1 from me!     :thmup:

Here is my question.  why is he in the Sup draft?  Did he do something to get in trouble.  Cause thats usually why they are.  If he is a trouble maker.  Do we really need another one?  He looks like he could be good.  But with all the trouble this year.  I just dont think talent out weighs trouble.

What trouble?  Brazil getting busted for PEDs or whatever?  Lefeged getting busted with guns?  This team hardly sees any trouble.  If we could snag this kid with a 7th and get his head on straight... who knows.

I just don't get all the comments amount all the trouble the colts are in... they're not, they hardly ever are.

What trouble?  Brazil getting busted for PEDs or whatever?  Lefeged getting busted with guns?  This team hardly sees any trouble.  If we could snag this kid with a 7th and get his head on straight... who knows.

I just don't get all the comments amount all the trouble the colts are in... they're not, they hardly ever are.

I actually meant in the league overall.  But I always liked the fact that the colts wouldnt go after players with off field issues.  

I'd actually prefer to sign him as a UDFA if we could but I wouldn't be too upset about spending a 7th if Pagano think's he's worth it.  

Not too worried about a 7th round pick in any situation. None of our three 7th rounders from last year played a single down for us. But I'm not sure we still have a 7th for next year. I thought we did, but NCF pointed out earlier that it might be conditionally tied up because of the Josh Gordy trade last year. 

Preferably, you go after him as a UDFA -- if the team even wants him -- but he might not make it that far. And he'll be able to choose who he wants to sign with, also.

To me I want my Corner to feel where his man is at and keep his eyes on the backfield

That's for zone coverage..... isn't it?

When I play man coverage at CB in pick up games I watch the WR until his eyes get big, turn my head locate the ball and either a deflection or interception occurs. Maybe that's just me

:dunno:

Not sure what has happened recently that would make you write that?

But I think Vaughn is safe until the the cuts start in August....     then, it could be nervous time....

We shall see. Anyway I don't think we would draft anyone in Supplemental Draft. Doesn't worth, I don't see any diamond in the rough.

Apparently, NO ONE was picked in the supp. draft. So are we still interested in this guy... or we're just moving on with what we have???

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217280/article/no-players-selected-in-2013-nfl-supplemental-draft

What makes anyone think he's better than the guys we have on the roster now? I could see it if he's an ace STs player. But we have plenty of inexperienced guys for our dime CB now.

That's for zone coverage..... isn't it?

When I play man coverage at CB in pick up games I watch the WR until his eyes get big, turn my head locate the ball and either a deflection or interception occurs. Maybe that's just me

:dunno:

True, Got the techniques confused

What makes anyone think he's better than the guys we have on the roster now? I could see it if he's an ace STs player. But we have plenty of inexperienced guys for our dime CB now.

I was just wondering. Apparently Pagano thinks something of him if we went to his pro day. Sooo something happened

I was just wondering. Apparently Pagano thinks something of him if we went to his pro day. Sooo something happened

Sure. But this is research. Doesn't mean he intends to do anything right now. This guy probably gets into someone's camp this year, and if he gets waived on cut day, Pagano will have a book on him already. Most of the time, though, nothing happens.

And by the way, the draft has come and gone, and no one was selected. So Smith is officially a UDFA.