Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Hinting at Signing a massive NT

HtownColt

Actually not that far fetched, he'd still probably make a better living on our practice squad than doing strong-man competitions...If his legs are good and he's that strong it's not rocket science to teach him to go slam the guy with the ball...I actually think and hope this is more than a publicity stunt..

Having never played organized football before, I sort of wonder how hard it is to learn some of the positions.  I mean you always hear about some kid in the NFL draft who didn't start playing football before playing in college but are getting drafted early.  

If you can learn football that quick where you can just pick it up (presuming you are athletic) and dominate at the D1 level, one would think that it would be possible that a guy playing a position like Nose Tackle who's built for the job wouldn't have to learn a whole lot before they could be productive.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Superman, May 13, 2013 - off topic bickering
Hidden by Superman, May 13, 2013 - off topic bickering

Another Epic FAIL by NewColtsFan....quit trying to attempt humor, it just isn't a strength...Sorry, someone needs to tell u b4 u hurt yourself...Leave that to the much more capable hands of BrentMc...Just sayin...

Why don't you simply put me on ignore.....

Trust me your input means less than nothing.

Not a surprise you wouldn't like my sense of humor....   it requires THINKING!

And thinking to you is like Kryptonite to Superman!   It's your mortal enemy!

Good luck to you!    :thmup:

I go and give u a compliment and u do this to me... lmao, no wonder I'm the real ShippBayless..

Yes you are!

Don't know if you happened to have noticed,  but Skip Bayless is the most unpopular media figure on this website. 

So, comparing yourself to him is perfect!    Simply perfect!      If the shoe fits................

I expect Heard and Tevasue to be cut first out of the NTs

Maybe but both of them players stayed healthy and played pretty decent, the last image I have of Mckinney before he got injured (just by landing on his leg wrong) was him getting blown backwards against Montgomery of the Redskins because of bad technique

Having never played organized football before, I sort of wonder how hard it is to learn some of the positions.  I mean you always hear about some kid in the NFL draft who didn't start playing football before playing in college but are getting drafted early.  

If you can learn football that quick where you can just pick it up (presuming you are athletic) and dominate at the D1 level, one would think that it would be possible that a guy playing a position like Nose Tackle who's built for the job wouldn't have to learn a whole lot before they could be productive.

I mean there are guys like Antonio Gates at skill positions who have been successful, so why not a NT??

Yes you are!

Don't know if you happened to have noticed,  but Skip Bayless is the most unpopular media figure on this website. 

So, comparing yourself to him is perfect!    Simply perfect!      If the shoe fits................

Awwwwweeeeee..How cute ;)

Maybe but both of them players stayed healthy and played pretty decent, the last image I have of Mckinney before he got injured (just by landing on his leg wrong) was him getting blown backwards against Montgomery of the Redskins because of bad technique

What's up with Chapman, I liked him , but haven't heard much...u seem to be in the know on these things...Is he gonna have a chance to be the starter??

I've seen the samething happen to Tevasue during the season multiple times

Exactly and it would seem to me that playing TE would be harder to learn then playing NT.

I wouldn't know what it takes to play NT, I never played any DLine positions. I'd love to have a good NT describe how easy or hard it is to learn the position. My guess is that brute strength may overcome a lot, but technique is still critical to success.

What's up with Chapman, I liked him , but haven't heard much...u seem to be in the know on these things...Is he gonna have a chance to be the starter??

Dont know, I dont have any more info then anyone else on the board here has, I just try to put two and two together based on what I read and reports, I think he rotates with Franklin being the starter

Guys, Irsay meant to say that the emphasis on acquiring big guys is so high now with the Colts (as opposed to the past) that Grigson may even sign the "Icelander" because he is so big. He then used the guy as the object of one of his trivia contests he often does on Twitter. That's it.  Sorry, I don't mean to ruin the fun.

Guys, Irsay meant to say that the emphasis on acquiring big guys is so high now with the Colts (as opposed to the past) that Grigson may even sign the "Icelander" because he is so big. He then used the guy as the object of one of his trivia contests he often does on Twitter. That's it.  Sorry, I don't mean to ruin the fun.

Forget it Otter, he's rolling.

Yep, I agree that RJF won't be a true NT. Franklin and McKinney are the two I have narrowed down to, one of whom will be that quality cut. Neither will last long on the waiver wire though if cut.

I guess my other thing there is no guarantee that we will actually cut one of those two.  It's conceivable that we hang onto Redding and RJF, and then fill the remaining DE roles with stronger guys ala the Ngata-role.  If that were the case, we could potentially shift McKinney or Franklin around outside of the NT role.

End point being, they keep the players most likely to improve the defense, regardless of role.  If your pressure is largely coming from OLB, if you have two DL roles who can close gaps, and one who can penetrate, you oughta be able to do some damage.

Lastly, carrying Chapman, McKinney, and Franklin is not that crazy of a notion.  Both McKinney and Chapman have injury histories, and the NT role is a crucial one in this defense.  Given the demand placed on that player and their physical attributes, keeping a few to have them fresh through the entire season isn't a bad idea.

The sad fact of the matter is the an NT is not a football player... he is a high engine, physically dominant mauler and space filler who requires minimal technique compared to other positions. Someone who never played the game before could very conceivably come in and be dominant.

Don't see this guy getting enough leverage though.

Guess you haven't seen this thread?    It's over 100 posts long now.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/18180-dc-manusky-chapman-working-with-the-first-unit/

The DC, Greg Manusky, is quoted as saying Chapman is running with the 1's.     In other words, as of now,  he's the starter.   It's all subject to change,  but as of today,  Chapman is looking good.

The sad fact of the matter is the an NT is not a football player... he is a high engine, physically dominant mauler and space filler who requires minimal technique compared to other positions. Someone who never played the game before could very conceivably come in and be dominant.

I'm going to have to disagree strongly with you on that. There's a lot of technique needed. Inexperienced players would be non factors when facing veteran O linemen, no matter how much difference in size. In fact, height usually plays against you. In fact, it's a difficult position to learn, even for the college studs.

I think we all know Irsay was joking, but it's still a good topic for discussion in the off season.

Thats what I'm talking about old nemesis...very good point...

I'm going to have to disagree strongly with you on that. There's a lot of technique needed. Inexperienced players would be non factors when facing veteran O linemen, no matter how much difference in size. In fact, height usually plays against you. In fact, it's a difficult position to learn, even for the college studs.

I think we all know Irsay was joking, but it's still a good topic for discussion in the off season.

Think he was joking also. But could imagine his sheer size on the line?!? That would be insane. Plus from what I've heard his a little strong,lol

Guess you haven't seen this thread?    It's over 100 posts long now.

http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/18180-dc-manusky-chapman-working-with-the-first-unit/

The DC, Greg Manusky, is quoted as saying Chapman is running with the 1's.     In other words, as of now,  he's the starter.   It's all subject to change,  but as of today,  Chapman is looking good.

So what do you want??? A cookie??? Bravo

'I can't believe most of you guys don't watch WSM competitions.  It's one of my favorite shows.  Iceland is known for having some of the strongest men in the world and he is the latest.  Yes, he had bad knees but his knees are good enough to squat 700 lbs 5 times.  And it wasn't a regular bar, so they said it was 700 lbs with a bar that kept rolling down their back causing them to adjust.  These guys are stronger than regular football players.  The winner from Lithuania shoulder pressed 470 lbs free weight.  

I agree with you too much height hurts ability to get leverage. And I agree technique is required, but less so than any other position.

A 2-gap NT is a space filler, he does not have to shed blocks, but he has to push the pocket and allow nothing to come through the middle. I don't think its a difficult position to learn all things considered, its difficult to find people capable of playing the position, and that is down to physical attributes more so than technique.

If he can get low, if he has long arms, if he can play with his feet pumping and if he can stop a runner coming past either side of him, then he can play the position. No matter how much technique a Center may have, if an NT completely overpowers him, a Guard needs to help out, and the NT is doing his job.

I am not completely disregarding technique and experience in the position, but these freaks are not easy to find, and it is one of the few positions where physical measurables mean more than technique.

Why don't you simply put me on ignore.....

Trust me your input means less than nothing.

Not a surprise you wouldn't like my sense of humor.... it requires THINKING!

And thinking to you is like Kryptonite to Superman! It's your mortal enemy!

Good luck to you! :thmup:

Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

So what do you want??? A cookie??? Bravo

Trust me.....   if I was taking a shot at you,  you'd know it.      But, I wasn't.    Not in this case.     I simply posted something for you to see.

But,  since thinking is not your strong suit,  you assumed that I was taking a shot.    Nope!   Wrong again!!

Too bad we can't set-up some type of rewards program for you.   Some type of bonus for you every time you're wrong.   Man, you'd be rich in no time!

There's no one here who is wrong more often than you!    It's a gift!  

And, in case you haven't figured it out yet --- yes, now I'm taking a shot at you!    Like shooting fish in a barrel.    Too easy!

Trust me.....   if I was taking a shot at you,  you'd know it.      But, I wasn't.    Not in this case.     I simply posted something for you to see.

But,  since thinking is not your strong suit,  you assumed that I was taking a shot.    Nope!   Wrong again!!

Too bad we can't set-up some type of rewards program for you.   Some type of bonus for you every time you're wrong.   Man, you'd be rich in no time!

There's no one here who is wrong more often than you!    It's a gift!  

And, in case you haven't figured it out yet --- yes, now I'm taking a shot at you!    Like shooting fish in a barrel.    Too easy!

That's y u worked behind the scenes and not in front of the camera my friend, some people just don't have it

That's y u worked behind the scenes and not in front of the camera my friend, some people just don't have it

If you only had a clue,  any clue,  as to just how much you don't know,  you'd be stunned. 

The amount of actual real information,  real knowledge that is rattling around inside your head could fit on the head of a pin with plenty of room to spare!

You should quit while you're behind....   and I mean WAY behind!    But, I know you won't.     So be it.

I agree with you too much height hurts ability to get leverage. And I agree technique is required, but less so than any other position.

A 2-gap NT is a space filler, he does not have to shed blocks, but he has to push the pocket and allow nothing to come through the middle. I don't think its a difficult position to learn all things considered, its difficult to find people capable of playing the position, and that is down to physical attributes more so than technique.

If he can get low, if he has long arms, if he can play with his feet pumping and if he can stop a runner coming past either side of him, then he can play the position. No matter how much technique a Center may have, if an NT completely overpowers him, a Guard needs to help out, and the NT is doing his job.

I am not completely disregarding technique and experience in the position, but these freaks are not easy to find, and it is one of the few positions where physical measurables mean more than technique.

Yes, but all the "ifs" you describe require talent and technique. All I'm saying is that you just can't pull a guy off the street and put him in that spot based on his size and strength. If that were true, you could go to the pro wresting circuit and get your next NT. There are plenty of freaks there, and a lot of them played college football but didn't have pro talent.

Look at a guy like Mt. Cody. High 2nd round pick, a difference maker in college, great measueables, but not exactly setting the league on fire.

Sorry, I'll have to continue to respectfully disagree with you. Good discussion though!

Yes, but all the "ifs" you describe require talent and technique. All I'm saying is that you just can't pull a guy off the street and put him in that spot based on his size and strength. If that were true, you could go to the pro wresting circuit and get your next NT. There are plenty of freaks there, and a lot of them played college football but didn't have pro talent.

Look at a guy like Mt. Cody. High 2nd round pick, a difference maker in college, great measueables, but not exactly setting the league on fire.

Sorry, I'll have to continue to respectfully disagree with you. Good discussion though!

The ifs I describe are more about physical attributes, though no doubt skill and experience would become components.

I am not saying there is no degree of talent needed, certainly not, and it would take time to develop these freaks into players, but it is a lot more feasible than with maybe any other position. The problem is, plenty of guys with these measurable can have immediate success in other sports or forms of entertainment like pro wrestling, a probably wouldn't be willing to sit on a practice squad of a sport they know little about (if for example they are foreign).

We are just beginning to see scouts look beyond the spectrum of college/high school athletes in the US and I see guys like this (though not necessarily him) becoming football players and potentially dominating due to their pure physical superiority.

It reminds me of an interesting article I read a few years back (can't remember who wrote it) about how teams should attempt to lure Usain Bolt to the NFL as a receiver, a 6'5 potentially sub 4 40 guy who has never ever played football, but is so athletically superior to anyone else playing the game... teams would have to respect his speed safeties simply could not play in the box. I am not saying he would be successful but I found it an interesting concept, and I believe it would be much more feasible for one of the world's strongest men with an athletic core/lower body and long arms to play NT, as it requires less skill/experience and more physical superiority.

Certainly an interesting discussion and I am sure there are different viewpoints, but in this case, I don't see it coming to fruition, has anyone at 6'9 ever played a down of NFL football before?

Certainly an interesting discussion and I am sure there are different viewpoints, but in this case, I don't see it coming to fruition, has anyone at 6'9 ever played a down of NFL football before?

I just realized Jonathon Ogden was 6'9.... maybe this guy can be a tackle.... (joke)

The ifs I describe are more about physical attributes, though no doubt skill and experience would become components.

I am not saying there is no degree of talent needed, certainly not, and it would take time to develop these freaks into players, but it is a lot more feasible than with maybe any other position. The problem is, plenty of guys with these measurable can have immediate success in other sports or forms of entertainment like pro wrestling, a probably wouldn't be willing to sit on a practice squad of a sport they know little about (if for example they are foreign).

We are just beginning to see scouts look beyond the spectrum of college/high school athletes in the US and I see guys like this (though not necessarily him) becoming football players and potentially dominating due to their pure physical superiority.

It reminds me of an interesting article I read a few years back (can't remember who wrote it) about how teams should attempt to lure Usain Bolt to the NFL as a receiver, a 6'5 potentially sub 4 40 guy who has never ever played football, but is so athletically superior to anyone else playing the game... teams would have to respect his speed safeties simply could not play in the box. I am not saying he would be successful but I found it an interesting concept, and I believe it would be much more feasible for one of the world's strongest men with an athletic core/lower body and long arms to play NT, as it requires less skill/experience and more physical superiority.

I can think of a few 6'8" guys like Calais Campbell. At some point you're "Too Tall"!

If dude is only 23, what the heck...  bring him in and see if he can do something.

Most strongmen / power lifters have short and stocky legs...  so getting and staying low won't be as hard.??

I have no idea what his body type is...       But dude is a monster.