Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Multiple Reports: Manning Out For The Year (Mega-Merge!)

ColtsPacersfan

Irsay later clarified in a Tweet saying that a Manningless season was not "for sure" and that the team is keeping him on the active roster.

There is an outside chance, Irsay said, that Peyton could return in December.

@JimIrsay "I didn't say Peyton out 4season FOR SURE,keeping him on ActiveRoster n taking it month by month/Outside chance of return n December possible"Manning PROBABLY out for season but it looks like media exagerated Irsay's comments to get more mileage. I personally think it makes sense for him to wait till next year, but it certainly isn't a DONE DEAL. The above came from the Wish TV 8 web-site but is on the twitter account as well.

GO COLTS,

I think it depends on the record by December, as well as Peyton's condition. If he is healed, but the Colts have no chance to make the playoffs, then I don't think he will play. If, by some miracle they are still in the chase, and he is cleared by the doctors, he will play. Look for Peyton to really work, practice lightly, and stay in shape. Great work ethic.

All the Peyton bashers really need to take their heads out of their rears. This franchise is nothing without Peyton Manning. The man has dedicated more to this team than anyone. He is the best at his position, yet he still works harder than any athlete I've ever seen in any sport. To insinuate that he is part of some conspiracy to make the team suck this year or that he tried to fleece the Colts for money when he knew he couldn't play is an insult to a guy that has demonstrated impeccable character and commitment to this team.

No, I'm not joking. Ask yourself this. What did Peyton bring to the Colts and the city? Did he bring a new stadium to Indy? Did he get a SB in Indy? Did he bring a million dollar company, to a billion dollar company? Did he not sell out the season for the last 13 years? Dude, you got to understand that this is a business. You have to look towards the future. If you can get the next Peyton Manning for the next 15 years, then you won't get him buy winning the SB. You might not want to believe it, but I'm all for it.

I hate to argue with anyone who has the word 'marine' in their handle, but I respectfully disagree. Peyton obviously doesn't need the money, and I really doubt he'd throw the entire team under the bus like that.

Nor do I think any owner would totally disregard the integrity of the game.

Interesting theory, but I'd file it away with the 911 conspiracy theories.

Plus if they need a spot for a third QB they can remove Anthony Gonzalez now.

Why would we do that? Gonzo is our 4th receiver. He's healthy, for a change. Why cut him?

I would think Mike McNeill would be the 53rd man at this point. He's our 4th tight end, and we also have Gronkowski, an H-back who could play the 4th tight end role. I think Gonzo's job is safe as long as he's not hurt.

I think if he becomes healthy enough to play this season he should regardless of record. Besides it being his very well paid job, I think not playing in a real game for 19 months sets him way back come the 2012 season.

Agreed. I don't think our 53rd roster spot this season is anywhere near as valuable as Manning being able to come back, even for a couple of weeks, even if we're 2-12 at the time. He's still our franchise quarterback, and those couple of weeks could help the team determine what direction we're going in for the future. If and when he's cleared, even if it's December, I think we should let him play. Regardless of record.

Another point, that sometimes gets missed: We can only dress 46 players on game day. So realistically speaking, unless we're super thin at another position, the 53rd roster spot isn't a significant consideration on game day anyways. And because that 46th game day spot was created this year specifically for a 3rd quarterback, and we're only dressing two, we're getting a bonus spot somewhere else on game day. It works itself out. Because of that, I don't think the front office will be making any roster decisions with regard to Manning based on needing a spot for a reserve player who might not even dress.

Edit: I'm reminded of Dallas Clark in 2006. He hurt his knee, and everyone expected him to go on IR. But we kept him active for the last four weeks, he rehabbed the heck out of his leg, and was back for the playoffs, and played great football. I don't think you should make decisions on borderline injuries before the player even has a chance to start rehab. If there's a setback or it becomes clear that Manning will not make it back in time, then they'll undoubtedly IR him. Until then, I imagine we'll wait for the doctors to re-evaluate him in a week or so (it will have been about four weeks since the operation).

I love where this team is right now in terms of our offensive and defensive lines, our RBs, WRs, and LBs. Right now if we had Manning, we'd be 3-0 and would be a top 5 team in the NFL. One thing I'm very worried about with Manning likely out the rest of the season is that next year we will likely have decline/injuries/departures in areas of the team and we won't be as good of a team. While in a perfect world we would have the same exact team next year, minus Collins and plus Manning, no injuries or anything, and we would go on to win the Super Bowl, that just won't happen. It's just so dang unfortunate that finally we are healthy in almost every phase of the game, and our run game/run defense look the best they have in 5 years or more, and the one area that we could always rely on, our QB position, just HAPPENS to be injured.

I really do hope Manning returns this season. I just love watching him play. The things he does never fail to amaze me and it's so uncomfortable watching the offense play without him. I believe him when he says he will be out there at the first chance he gets, and I think that it'll be this season, regardless of what Irsay says.

I don't believe his statement for why it took so long to get his surgery. I believe this is nothing but a conspiracy to get Andrew Luck. I'm starting to believe that Irsay sat Peyton down and ask "How much would you take to sit out this season?" A billionare has an awful lot of money to give to a millionare.

Sometimes coincidences look like conspiracies but then think about and realize its just coincidence.

Manning wouldn't do this, he doesn't believe he's got all the time in the world to sit for a entire season. He wants to win now. Irsay and the whole organization had a chance to win a SB at home!

Another fun fact is that Luck might stay in school, he can graduate early but he's not a senior.

Its not a conspiracy but maybe coincidence or destiny. Rightnow it seems we're destined to draft Luck.

8 years from now the Colts/ Pats rivalry could still be going strong with Luck vs Mallet.

My guess is that they don't plan on playing PM this season, knowing that by the time he could possibly be ready the playoffs will be out of reach. By not putting him on IR they can use the possibility of Peyton returning to keep fan interest and attendance up, ala Marvin Harrison.

Manning sure is a smart guy - work the Colts for a HUGE deal and then take a year long vacation.

NONSENSE

And....even if Peyton doesnt play another down this year or next, he still has earned his money...he's only the greatest QB ever to play the game....and yes, call it what you will...homerism or whatever.......he is and has been the heart and blood of this team for over ten years.......

No, I'm not joking. Ask yourself this. What did Peyton bring to the Colts and the city? Did he bring a new stadium to Indy? Did he get a SB in Indy? Did he bring a million dollar company, to a billion dollar company? Did he not sell out the season for the last 13 years? Dude, you got to understand that this is a business. You have to look towards the future. If you can get the next Peyton Manning for the next 15 years, then you won't get him buy winning the SB. You might not want to believe it, but I'm all for it.

What??!!

So lets see....before the season even started, Irsay and Manning conspired to forgo the chance of us actually playing in a Super Bowl on our own field?

And tell me, why did Peyton fly over to Europe....to have lunch with Jim Morrison? :loco:

There does seem to be some confusion, John..

We seem to want believe..'broadcast reports' or internet snippets ..

Every little birdie goes 'tweet tweet tweet'

Nope. No confusion here. You plainly said "When Manning goes IR, you'll know he's out for the year" in the topic title, the re-affirmed that statement when you said "We'll know its over for Peyton this year when they put him on injured reserve..."

You cleared up the great mystery of football behind the mysterious "Injured Reserve". I think most of us thought for years that when a player was put on the mysterious "Injured Reserve" he was taken out behind the barn and sent the way of Old Yeller.

Turns out we were incorrect, and we have you to thank for clarifying the greatest mystery in football only behind "how to achieve a first down".

Knowledge is power, and we're all now powerful enough to overthrow a third world country. Thank god for that.

1,000,000 bux says this guy still doesn't get it.

There's nothing not to get. When a player goes to the injured reserve, they are out for the year.

Football's greatest mystery has been solved, right here in this thread.

Mind boggling when you think about it... Why did this never occur to anyone before this thread?

This thread is going nowhere. Thread closed

liar....

lol

I can't help but to think that Manning's new role is as much about helping him as it is about him helping the Colts. I think we're being given a glimpse of him being groomed for his career after playing. What an unprecedented opportunity for a current player still under contract for 4 years to learn how to call games from the booth. No, he isn't acting within that capacity, not yet, but he's learning how to play the game from the other side. Pretty darn neat.

I love how people are talking about a conspiracy theory here. Peyton would have had the surgery earlier in the off-season, but he was not able to get in touch with his usual trainer he was comfortable with. That was a result of the lockout. When he finally did have the surgery, he was still projected to be ready for week one of the season. It could not have been foreseen that his nerves would not have healed properly. No he had to have a second surgery to clean it up. If Peyton honestly did want to get the Colts to make a big deal just to sit out a season, why would it be in the year where he's making the least amount of money on his contract? C'mon people

I love how people are talking about a conspiracy theory here. Peyton would have had the surgery earlier in the off-season, but he was not able to get in touch with his usual trainer he was comfortable with. That was a result of the lockout. When he finally did have the surgery, he was still projected to be ready for week one of the season. It could not have been foreseen that his nerves would not have healed properly. No he had to have a second surgery to clean it up. If Peyton honestly did want to get the Colts to make a big deal just to sit out a season, why would it be in the year where he's making the least amount of money on his contract? C'mon people

Hey, its our job as fans to fill in the blanks when not provided with all the details that we feel entitled to. Whether it be talk of conspiracy, aliens or perhaps a heinous plot by the Bush administration, we will get the answers even if they are fabricated.

Manning has obviously spent his career planning for this scheme to rob the Colts organization of tens of millions of dollars. It was all a ploy, the 4 MVP's the Super Bowl, the record shattering stats, all a fools rouse to abscond with our franchises precious money.

muhhuhahahahahaha muh hu ha ha ha ha ha

Hey, are we any worse than the media?

nothing is official until he goes on IR. espn needs to stop spreading false information.

Agreed

... When he goes IR he'll be out for the year...

Gee, glad we have someone who could clear that up for us... I don't think any of us were quite sure what would happen, but there's no doubt now.

Nope. No confusion here. You plainly said "When Manning goes IR, you'll know he's out for the year" in the topic title, the re-affirmed that statement when you said "We'll know its over for Peyton this year when they put him on injured reserve..."

You cleared up the great mystery of football behind the mysterious "Injured Reserve". I think most of us thought for years that when a player was put on the mysterious "Injured Reserve" he was taken out behind the barn and sent the way of Old Yeller.

Turns out we were incorrect, and we have you to thank for clarifying the greatest mystery in football only behind "how to achieve a first down".

Knowledge is power, and we're all now powerful enough to overthrow a third world country. Thank god for that.

Dude...seriously, turn off the sarcasm from time to time...or at least aim it at those who deserve it, like those who keep starting threads titled "manning officially out" and then quoting a news source that CLEARLY says 'manning probably won't play till 2012'. The couple of guys who you keep quoting are simply trying to shut the people up who keep starting threads claiming fact that are based on speculation. Seriously.... ;)

You mean like he when he did what the fans were calling for and signed a vet QB when everyone was screaming anyone BUT Painter just a few weeks ago? How quickly some fans forget...

lol...too true

While the "conspiracy theory" proposed is far fetched, let's not forget that Irsay and the Colts need Manning to be on the roster for financial reasons. By IR'ing Manning now the Colts are saying the season is lost and that we have no chance to be in playoff contention come December. Without Manning, everything Colts brand including tickets and TV lose a lot of value. They have 4 prime-time games left on the schedule including 2 in December that will most likely be meaningless.

Don't you think Irsay knew all about Manning's neck before the season started during training camp? Back then, we thought he might still start the first game.