Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keenan Allen red-flagged for Combine drug test results [Merge]

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because the testing available for weed is not exact enough to ensure it's responsible use....with lives and many millions of tax-payer dollars that can be lost.

And let's be honest....marijuana use and responsibility don't generally go hand in hand anyway.

If and when marijuana testing can determine prior use narrowly enough to ensure a technician or a pilot hasn't used it within a safely determined period of time from doing their jobs....then maybe the restriction will be loosened....but then how do you practically ensure the safeguards?

Unlike alcohol...not only is it's testing not precise enough....but "after the damage is done" is a heck of a time to find out someone was stoned on the job anyway.

The Air Force is not going to change that....nor should they.

I don't care about the testing limitations....I'm just saying i don't care if you smoke weed.

I don't care about the testing limitations....I'm just saying i don't care if you smoke weed.

And that opinion is fine Blood....it's just not shared by some employers...with some having better reasons than others.

If weed becomes legal and the NFL completely does away with it as a banned substance...then the players are free to light up I guess.

It'll work itself out in the coming years I'm sure.

So is breaking the speed limit, but millions do it everyday

And just like with speeding, many get away with it, some do not, and there is a nearly constant effort to improve enforcement.

None of this is to say I agree with the law, but it is a law nonetheless. Until it gets changed, there isn't much point to minimizing it.

Weed is actually a huge problem everyone I ever knew says how hard it is to stop and on top of that you have the people that smoke it then drive and kill innocent people weed is actually a gateway drug people like the feeling so they try to find stuff that makes them high longer such as harder drugs weed is good for one reason medical use

Off topic, but no, it's really not.  It's a mental addiction, not a physical one.  It's addictive for those who have addictive personalities.  It is easier to give up than cigarettes by a long shot.  And no, not everyone that smokes weed moves on to harder stuff.  Again, only people who have a naturally addictive personality AND who WANT better ways to get messed up.  

Because the testing available for weed is not exact enough to ensure it's responsible use....with lives and many millions of tax-payer dollars that can be lost.

And let's be honest....marijuana use and responsibility don't generally go hand in hand anyway.

If and when marijuana testing can determine prior use narrowly enough to ensure a technician or a pilot hasn't used it within a safely determined period of time from doing their jobs....then maybe the restriction will be loosened....but then how do you practically ensure the safeguards?

Unlike alcohol...not only is it's testing not precise enough....but "after the damage is done" is a heck of a time to find out someone was stoned on the job anyway.

The Air Force is not going to change that....nor should they.

To the underlined, that's not true and is an unfairly generic stereotype.

To the bold, I completely agree and I personally feel that is the sole reason that weed is not legal at this time.  Once they find a way to test for weed the way they can take a breathalyzer to find out if you're intoxicated at that point in time to prevent driving or working under the influence, then it will be legalized.

Posted · Hidden by Superman, April 16, 2013 - inflammatory
Hidden by Superman, April 16, 2013 - inflammatory

I work in an organization that maintains F-16 and F-22 fighter jets....does anyone think it would be a good idea for me to use weed?

If I was a juggler at Venice Beach it would be one thing....but in some occupations it could wind up getting someone killed.

This is not an issue with a cut and dry answer....and right now...it'll get you in hot water with NFL teams.

Maybe that'll change and maybe it won't.

Jobs that require u to drive or operate heavy machinery should definetly drug test, but testing for any other job is stupid. Anyone who thinks weed is bad for u is stupid and has alot of growing up to do

So true

Marijuana is not a gateway drug, only a handful of people have the "gateway" problem. Other then that most people use weed and only weed. Weed is not bad. End of story. Anyone who thinks other wise is stupid,ignorant,naive and anti-Christ. What r u?

Weed is actually a huge problem everyone I ever knew says how hard it is to stop and on top of that you have the people that smoke it then drive and kill innocent people weed is actually a gateway drug people like the feeling so they try to find stuff that makes them high longer such as harder drugs weed is good for one reason medical use

Weed is good for more then medicinal use cowboy. I rarely hear of people getting in car accidents while high on only weed. Do more research before u start blabbering.

Marijuana is not a gateway drug, only a handful of people have the "gateway" problem. Other then that most people use weed and only weed. Weed is not bad. End of story. Anyone who thinks other wise is stupid,ignorant,naive and anti-Christ. What r u?

I'm anti christ

Keenan Allen had no reports of weed, so how did weed even get brought up. People get weed from "substantial amount of water in his system" and going back and getting retested for previous injuries not because of a failed drug test.

To my understanding... Weed was brought up because drinking large quantities of water before the test is a way to mask marijuana use, and because there really isn't much other reason to consume that much. I believe it has to be an extraordinary amount to hide the drug, and to register on the test.

I'm not saying it definitely was weed, but its suspicious.

To my understanding... Weed was brought up because drinking large quantities of water before the test is a way to mask marijuana use, and because there really isn't much other reason to consume that much. I believe it has to be an extraordinary amount to hide the drug, and to register on the test.

I'm not saying it definitely was weed, but its suspicious.

Maybe he was just thirsty.

There are  many ways to pass a urine test.    Pounding water is the most inexpensive.     But a diluted sample will "fail"..     You don't fail but you WILL have to take it AGAIN.    and maybe even supervised.  

If one is hot, and the test is "unsupervised" buy synthetic urine.        Works every time.      Even has a temp strip attached to the bottle.     ;)    Not that I have experience...

The agent for California wide receiver Keenan Allen told PFT Tuesday he has not been informed of any problems regarding the drug test his client took at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

JT Johnson, Allen’s agent, said he has not been notified regarding his client’s test results.

“We have received no notifications. None,” Johnson told PFT Tuesday afternoon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/16/keenan-allens-agent-says-he-hasnt-been-notified-about-any-drug-testing-issues/

Pretty sure his agent would know if he failed a drug test

This guy gets no marks for having any smarts.

Now there's some question about whether a team can trust the guy to behave himself during the season...especially after he gets a fat contract.

Where has his intelligence been questioned?

To the underlined, that's not true and is an unfairly generic stereotype.

To the bold, I completely agree and I personally feel that is the sole reason that weed is not legal at this time. Once they find a way to test for weed the way they can take a breathalyzer to find out if you're intoxicated at that point in time to prevent driving or working under the influence, then it will be legalized.

I didn't say that NO ONE uses weed responsibly...I just said they generally don't go hand in hand.

But I would present Tyrann Mathieu as Exhibit A. The young man has cost himself well into the 7 figures by, in his own words, failing at least 10 tests...not to mention his lost presence on the LSU team.

Thats hardly a picture of responsibility....and there are countless other folks who've fouled up their lives even worse with the stuff.

I do agree that legalization is likely on its way and the kind of testing that is available for alcohol would hurry the process. And other than in occupations or areas where safety or security could be compromised...I have no problem with it.

I didn't say that NO ONE uses weed responsibly...I just said they generally don't go hand in hand.

But I would present Tyrann Mathieu as Exhibit A. The young man has cost himself well into the 7 figures by, in his own words, failing at least 10 tests...not to mention his lost presence on the LSU team.

Thats hardly a picture of responsibility....and there are countless other folks who've fouled up their lives even worse with the stuff.

I do agree that legalization is likely on its way and the kind of testing that is available for alcohol would hurry the process. And other than in occupations or areas where safety or security could be compromised...I have no problem with it.

I realize you didn't say no one uses it responsibly...but I also disagree that generally they don't go hand in hand.  That sounds to me like you're saying that it's the majority that use it stupidly whereas I don't think that's the case.  I think there are probably just as many, if not more people that use it smartly and responsibly.  You just don't hear about them because they're smart about it. :)

and I don't think it should be used on the job in any situation, just like alcohol...I guess except for the rare jobs where drinking on the job is allowed...but those are few and far between. :)

No one should be drug tested unless they have bad work performance or get hurt

The stuff slows your reflexes and mental thinking. I can see using it to alleviate chronic pain that a football player may experience or someone with permanent back damage, but it sounds like some of you are just advocating the recreational use of it. Slowing your thinking (anxiety) might be a good thing sometimes, but its a bad thing if you are driving or anything else where lives could be in danger. Maybe it should only be used in the privacy of your bedroom with a black light and Foghat posters on the wall.

The stuff slows your reflexes and mental thinking. I can see using it to alleviate chronic pain that a football player may experience or someone with permanent back damage, but it sounds like some of you are just advocating the recreational use of it. Slowing your thinking (anxiety) might be a good thing sometimes, but its a bad thing if you are driving or anything else where lives could be in danger. Maybe it should only be used in the privacy of your bedroom with a black light and Foghat posters on the wall.

I agree it slows your reflexes i mean really just look at someone who is high do they look like someone you want driving on the road with you or operating heavy machinery not me no thanks

No one should be drug tested unless they have bad work performance or get hurt

Including the pilot of the passenger plane you or members your family might travel on?

"Bad work performance" by a pilot quite often results in death....and a post crash autopsy that shows the pilot had lingering effects of marijuana does little to comfort or compensate the families of folks who boarded the plane and expected a fully alert professional to fly it.

Sorry....cut and dry solutions don't always work when peoples lives are at stake and in my line of work, where taxpayer dollars are expected to be responsibly handled.

All I'm saying is that public and/or workplace safety and national security trump personal liberties when the irresponsible exercise of those personal liberties could cause harm to others. And safeguards like testing for marijuana and prohibiting its use on those grounds, and in those situations, is reasonable.

However the NFL decides on marijuana if legalization happens in the future is up to the league and the union.

I realize you didn't say no one uses it responsibly...but I also disagree that generally they don't go hand in hand.  That sounds to me like you're saying that it's the majority that use it stupidly whereas I don't think that's the case.  I think there are probably just as many, if not more people that use it smartly and responsibly.  You just don't hear about them because they're smart about it. :)

and I don't think it should be used on the job in any situation, just like alcohol...I guess except for the rare jobs where drinking on the job is allowed...but those are few and far between. :)

Well....neither of us can quantify the first part of your response....obviously there are plenty of examples in both directions. Fair enough?

We do agree on the workplace issue though....and at some point after legalization happens, I suppose Phillip Morris will need Quality Assurance people for their "marijuana division"....and will have no shortage of applicants. :)

Aside from the somewhat condescending tone of the rest of your post, I do agree with the bolded portion.  Weed should be just like alcohol...don't do it if you're going to be driving.  Don't do it if you're going to work.  Don't do it if it could in any way danger another person.  But if you're in the privacy of your own home, and you're going to be staying there until the effects wear off, then by all means smoke your brains out if that's what you want to do.  Though, like with anything else, I would personally recommend moderate and responsible use. :)

Well....neither of us can quantify the first part of your response....obviously there are plenty of examples in both directions. Fair enough?

We do agree on the workplace issue though....and at some point after legalization happens, I suppose Phillip Morris will need Quality Assurance people for their "marijuana division"....and will have no shortage of applicants. :)

Yes that does sound better.  I just don't like the assumption or stereotype that if you smoke weed then you're irresponsible.  I know plenty, and I mean plenty of people who smoke weed and do it responsibly without endangering others. :)

Including the pilot of the passenger plane you or members your family might travel on?

"Bad work performance" by a pilot quite often results in death....and a post crash autopsy that shows the pilot had lingering effects of marijuana does little to comfort or compensate the families of folks who boarded the plane and expected a fully alert professional to fly it.

Sorry....cut and dry solutions don't always work when peoples lives are at stake and in my line of work, where taxpayer dollars are expected to be responsibly handled.

All I'm saying is that public and/or workplace safety and national security trump personal liberties when the irresponsible exercise of those personal liberties could cause harm to others. And safeguards like testing for marijuana and prohibiting its use on those grounds, and in those situations, is reasonable.

However the NFL decides on marijuana if legalization happens in the future is up to the league and the union.

And yes I said in another post testing for jobs like yours when you're responsible for someone else's life then testing should definitely happen, but all other jobs, pointless

And yes I said in another post testing for jobs like yours when you're responsible for someone else's life then testing should definitely happen, but all other jobs, pointless

Must have been one of the posts Superman deleted....sorry 63, didn't see that one.

If you're talking about pre-employment testing then I could agree...but any job should be able to test if they have probable cause or if you're acting in a way that would suspect that you are under the influence while on the job.  

it is an insurance issue. most companies don't want to have to pay for drug testing. however the insurance companies that sell them their policies do.

Aside from the somewhat condescending tone of the rest of your post, I do agree with the bolded portion.  Weed should be just like alcohol...don't do it if you're going to be driving.  Don't do it if you're going to work.  Don't do it if it could in any way danger another person.  But if you're in the privacy of your own home, and you're going to be staying there until the effects wear off, then by all means smoke your brains out if that's what you want to do.  Though, like with anything else, I would personally recommend moderate and responsible use. :)

We're trying to have an intelligent discussion about a substance that kills brain cells, which would eventually prevent us from having an intelligent discussion :)