Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Face Facts Angerer Is Our Best Linebacker

GoGoColts

on many other teams, angerer is a backup LB. He was lost on the big gainer through the air, coverage sucked. i think he will improve as time wears on, it's a very complicated position. He could work his way into a big-time LB, however, I think he has some physical limitations that will keep him from that loft.

I assume you're talking about the Wallace TD. There isn't a LBer in the game that can cover the world class speed of Mike Wallace. I have been saying since last yr. that Angerer is better at MLB than Brackett is. I don't know how this is a surprise to people. Its obvious.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People forget Angerer was a MLB in college its his natural position so he should excel there, we moved him to OLB, theres a big difference there. Brackett will come back and start at MLB, I am glad we have a MLB for the future though in Angerer he has played well. But in my personal opinion, Connor is our best LB.

I assume you're talking about the Wallace TD. There isn't a LBer in the game that can cover the world class speed of Mike Wallace. I have been saying since last yr. that Angerer is better at MLB than Brackett is. I don't know how this is a surprise to people. Its obvious.

I know Angerer has had a great 2 games at MLB but lets not jump the gun. Two games doesnt mean hes better than Bracket at MLB, granted I think Angerer is a much better tackler but is also much weaker in coverage.

I know Angerer has had a great 2 games at MLB but lets not jump the gun. Two games doesnt mean hes better than Bracket at MLB, granted I think Angerer is a much better tackler but is also much weaker in coverage.

Im not jumping the gun at all. I've said it since last yr.. Angerer is just better than Brackett and I don't buy into the assumption that Brackett is better in coverage. Its not like Brackett has been shuting down the middle of the field in coverage. Brackett may be a little quicker than Pat, but he's not even close to being the tackler that Pat is.

Im not jumping the gun at all. I've said it since last yr.. Angerer is just better than Brackett and I don't buy into the assumption that Brackett is better in coverage. Its not like Brackett has been shuting down the middle of the field in coverage. Brackett may be a little quicker than Pat, but he's not even close to being the tackler that Pat is.

Brackett has come up with some pretty big interceptions in his career but I need a bit more time to evaluate Angerer at MLB on the NFL level but he looks impressive at his natural position thus far.

on many other teams, angerer is a backup LB. He was lost on the big gainer through the air, coverage sucked. i think he will improve as time wears on, it's a very complicated position. He could work his way into a big-time LB, however, I think he has some physical limitations that will keep him from that loft.

You have no idea what your talking about dude, Pat is starter worthy on a majority of the teams in the nfl.. He can tackle, has a great nose for the ball on the run and is a hard hitter.

He is a leading tackler right now. He is by far the best run stopper on the team. Brackett has his strong points, but with the type of defense that we need to play now Angerer is the better fit in the middle. Plus, Brackett, can play another position.

I dont know why we have to face it....its not a bad thing, but yes, Pat is our best LB I believe.

I think Angerer would be better for us at MLB. I think he could be a defensive force down the road like Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. His pass defense is still a little suspect, but he's getting better at it.

comparing him to lewis and urlacker????

talk about over reacting to one game!

I remember getting laughed at, not by anyone who has currently posted in this thread, during the preseason when I talked about Angerer being probowl caliber LB in a very short time. I think tonight he really showcased why I thought that.

Wheeler played an excellent game as well.

I started a thread in preseason and said that very thing. Glad to see he is what some of us thought he could be. Angerer is hungry!

why wait, put him in the hall of fame now! he had one good game. lol

I'm not sure how a poster stating he'll have 200 tackles by the end of the year translates into putting him into the Hall of Fame, but I guess some people have to do that rather than discussing the merits of a comment.

Second, it was not one good game. He had a good game against the Texans, he had a very good game against the Browns and then he had a dominating game against the Steelers.

I think Angerer would be better for us at MLB. I think he could be a defensive force down the road like Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher. His pass defense is still a little suspect, but he's getting better at it. I just haven't been overly impressed with Brackett at MLB since 2009.

I really can't help but feel we may have overpaid for him...

I felt the same way. But I think his contract is structured in such a way that we can address it this offseason or next and wipe most of it off the books.

I think Brackett is better in coverage. The two plays he made against the Texans, one a tipped ball (that Andre Johnson caught anyway) and the other an interception showcased his quick reaction time, which is probably just a by-product of being the starting MLB for so many years. Experience counts, especially in the passing game. I think he's just quicker to diagnose a play or read a receiver's movement, and then gets himself in better position on pass plays. Angerer hasn't shown that to this point. He really struggled against the pass last season, and though he's improved this year, it will probably take some time before he's as comfortable against the pass as an established veteran linebacker.

But I still think he should be the starter. We can work Brackett in for nickel packages.

I felt the same way. But I think his contract is structured in such a way that we can address it this offseason or next and wipe most of it off the books.

Brackett is still very good.

Dont forget last year's playoff run.

He made great stops against the run..against teams that ran on us earlier in the year..

Its not eitehr/or...we can play them both..

I'd like to see what Adrian Moten can do. All in all we have a pretty solid linebacking corp. Conner, Brackett, Angerer, Sims, Moten, Wheeler.

Moten needs to play his way into the rotation with solid special teams play, and so far, no one on our coverage team has been solid. Wouldn't surprise me if McAfee leads the team in special teams tackles. He's got to have three or four by now.

I like how Moten played in the preseason. I'm glad he made the team. But he's going to have to earn defensive reps.

I wonder if Rashard Mendenhall owes Pat Angerer money or something, cuz Pat was playing like he HATED him. 11 tackles PLUS 9 assists? wow. He'll get better in coverage...this is only his 2nd year!! I love Gary, but I just don't see how you can take Angerer off the field right now. He was a monster last night.

Angerer brought the WOOD last night. I know it has been said already I'm sure in this post. Angerer commanded the "D" he looked very confident, speed,shooting gaps. I like brackett but Angerer seems to be what the defense needs. Last night he got dinged up and just missed one play he was clearly hurt but he came back in, that is what a leader does. Keep him in.

I like Angerer alot better in the middle then outside. At this point I hope they keep the Conner, Angerer, Wheeler starting lineup for the rest of the season.

Agree with Superman on playing Brackett in the nickel. Brackett has really exceptional cover skills for the position, I'm just not sure if that's what the defense needs in an every down player right now.

The fact the defense has stopped the run the last 2 weeks with Angerer at MLB isn't a coincidence. He's a better MLB than Brackett, nothing against Gary but it's the truth.

And yet how many times was he labeled a "bust" by arm-chair GMs....err...forum posters here.

And yet how many times was he labeled a "bust" by arm-chair GMs....err...forum posters here.

I don't recall many people calling him a bust. But I do remember a lot of people, after he was drafted, claiming Polian doesn't know what he's doing, Angerer could have been had in 4th round or later, that he would not amount to much in the Colts D.

Just keep him from covering anything deep because I haven't even seen him knock down a pass. The problem is that's what MLBs in a cover 2 do, they cover deep like Bracket. It seems like our OLBs are not responsible to cover as much field as the MLBs. So it kinda makes sense why we had Conner and Angerer on the outsides.Colts need to change somethings so our MLBs don't have to cover so much of the field.

Im loving his run defense though, he's a BAMF.

Just keep him from covering anything deep because I haven't even seen him knock down a pass. The problem is that's what MLBs in a cover 2 do, they cover deep like Bracket. It seems like our OLBs are not responsible to cover as much field as the MLBs. So it kinda makes sense why we had Conner and Angerer on the outsides.Colts need to change somethings so our MLBs don't have to cover so much of the field.

Im loving his run defense though, he's a BAMF.

We wouldn't have to change much if we brought Brackett in just for 3rd and longs as MLB (OR) brought Brackett in as an OLB substitute for Conner on the weakside on 3rd and longs. The Brackett that used to tip Brady's throw to himself as he was falling down in our 20-24 loss to the 16-0 Pats in 2007, that Brackett has not been seen much, IMO. The TEs just get behind Conner and throws have been completed recently, can't always say it is the MLB's fault.

Not sure if we don't have the talent or anticipation in the secondary, or if it is scheme. Rushing just 4, we should be able to hold up vs a lot of teams and we are not holding up recently in coverage under Coyer. Ron Meeks' coverage schemes was definitely better, in comparison. Yes, under Ron Meeks, we were defending the run most of the time but when we HAD to defend the pass, we really squeezed the zones well.