Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McShay hinting....

BlueShoe

It's a Mock Draft, there are thousands of Mocks done by draft experts/scouts, doesn't mean they are hinting at anything( a 3rd case scenario at that)

One of those "draft experts" mocked us Corey Lemonier in round 1.

And before this mock, McShay mocked us Justin Pugh in Round 1 in one of his mocks.

Mock drafts aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

And now people are getting exciting about a 3rd case scenario of a mock draft. C'mon Man *in my best Chris Carter voice*

This is the first time I have seen anyone credible from the national media start to give the Colts drafting a RB at #24 serious thought. Why the change all of the sudden? Because it makes sense and many are overlooking it.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just pointing out that if a Colts fan was basing the game against us as his career then it's not a fair judgment.

Richardson put up close to 1000 yards and 12 TDs, for a bad team, with a rookie quarterback not named Luck, and a team that was sold during the season. Plus he battled through some injuries. How does that even remotely make a RB a bust?

Yards and TDs mean nothing when he has a mediocre ypc

Just pointing out that if a Colts fan was basing the game against us as his career then it's not a fair judgment.

Richardson put up close to 1000 yards and 12 TDs, for a bad team, with a rookie quarterback not named Luck, and a team that was sold during the season. Plus he battled through some injuries. How does that even remotely make a RB a bust?

With a 3.6 yards per carry, Vick Ballards was 3.9, granted Richardson had the tds though. #3 overall vs 5th round rb

This is the first time I have seen anyone credible from the national media start to give the Colts drafting a RB at #24 serious thought. Why the change all of the sudden? Because it makes sense and many are overlooking it.

It's a 3rd case scenario, since when do a person get excited over a plan C

Your right Olines were totally different and if Ballard would've started before the Jets game, Ballard would trump Richardson in every category except tds.

You can't really believe yourself when you imply that Ballard is better than Richardson right? I love Ballard and I am glad he is on our team, but he is not an elite back. Richardson has the tools to become an elite NFL back.

You can't really believe yourself when you imply that Ballard is better than Richardson right? I love Ballard and I am glad he is on our team, but he is not an elite back. Richardson has the tools to become an elite NFL back.

Didn't say he was better, just would've had a better year. My prerogative

As far as Olines go 4 of the Browns Oline played every snap of the 2012 season

Browns: LT Joe Thomas, C Alex Mack, RG Shawn Lauvao, RT Mitchell Schwartz

It would've been all 5 but LG Jason Pinkston had blood cotts that kept him out some time. And all played at a high level.

Colts line doesn't even compare

Umm what? Joe Thomas (best LT in the game), John Greco, Alex Mack (one of the best center in the game) and even RT rookie Mitchell Schwartz was solid.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/4/

How are you going to give me a link to try and prove that the Browns have a good run blocking line when the Web site says this:

"Joe Thomas (+25.6) gives up pressure compared to the rest of the league. It’s stunning how shutdown he is. Now, if only his run blocking matched up to his work in the pass game."

Did you even read it?

And the Web site said we were 31st in run blocking. That's just not true. We couldn't pass block worth a crap, but we were better than just the Cardinals at run blocking last season. The site even bashes Castonzo. Nice reputable find there bud.

How are you going to give me a link to try and prove that the Browns have a good run blocking line when the Web site says this:

"Joe Thomas (+25.6) gives up pressure compared to the rest of the league. It’s stunning how shutdown he is. Now, if only his run blocking matched up to his work in the pass game."

Did you even read it?

Lol Did you see the rating for run blocking? 11th in the league. Thomas isn't a fantastic run blocker, but better than most.

Lol Did you see the rating for run blocking? 11th in the league. Thomas isn't a fantastic run blocker, but better than most.

This is the same site that said we were 31st in run blocking and bashed Castonzo. I agree we were the worst of the worst at pass blocking last season, but we were better than 31st at run blocking. Excuse me if I don't find profootballfocus a credible Web site.

Think there will be better options at 24 than RB, but I have stated several times nothing would surprise me... learned that lesson in the Polian era (think he drafted "surprise" picks on purpose, especially towards the end of his run) but now it seems Grigson is starting to take an "unorthodox" approach as well, albeit totally different than Polian, but unorthodox all the same...

With all that said, RB in the first would not surprise me, especially with all the FA moves...

Considering that most members of this board would bet their first born that we will not draft Lacy, it is big news.

Sorry....   you can agree or disagree with what McShay is putting out there...   I don't care.

But it's hardly news.

It's his opinion, and it's his opinion as of today.   and it will hold for a week or so....

Next Wednesday, when his next Mock Draft comes out (this is his 5th)   he might have completely different scenario's for Colts fans to consider....

Don't get too worked up on this stuff one way or the other....    Really.    Seriously.

No one has sources inside the Indy front office.   This is all pure speculation.

The last time there was speculation from experts, members of the media had Indy buying Kruger from Baltimore for a lot of money and Vazquez from San Diego for a lot of money and lots of other players for a lot of money.

Did we buy any of them?     No.

We bought other players for a lot of money.

Getting yourself too worked up on this stuff is an recipe for disappointment.....

Just sayin......        :hide:        :giveup:

Here are a few of your "draft experts" mock drafts

Just to show a lot of people can hint. But it is what it is...A Mock Draft. Pretty sure the person talking about Fluker is confused and means Cherilus at RT and Plug Fluker at RG, or he simply just forgot about Castonzo

The NFL Draft is two weeks from Thursday and over the next couple of weeks, Colts.com will assemble various mock drafts from national media outlets to gauge what NFL pundits are thinking the Colts might do with the 24th pick in the first round.

ESPN, Mel Kiper (April 5)

No. 24: CB Xavier Rhodes, Florida State

Kiper’s Analysis: The Colts could go a few different ways here, but they really need to not fall in love with a certain need and see how the board breaks. If the value on the offensive line isn’t there, I think Rhodes makes a lot of sense. The Colts were active in free agency, adding help in a handful of spots, but Rhodes has the chance to be the best cornerback on the roster after he gets a little seasoning. For a team that might feel it’ll be playing from ahead more and more in the future, the secondary needs to be a priority.

ESPN, Todd McShay (April 10)

No. 24: CB D.J. Hayden, Houston

McShay’s Anaylsis: Scenario 1: The Colts play man-cover schemes, and Hayden’s smooth movement skills and ability to manufacture turnovers would be a solid fit.

Scenario 2: Receiver doesn’t appear to be a pressing need, but QB Andrew Luck can never have too many options and Keenan Allen is an NFL-ready talent who can make plays downfield.

Scenario 3: If other options aren’t attractive, Indianapolis could opt for Lacy as the potential engine that drives its power running game.

Stats and Info: The Colts’ pass rush sacked, hit or put the quarterback under duress on 17.8 percent of drop backs, the second-worst rate in the league. Jarvis Joness led the FBS with 14.5 sacks, as well as all BCS defensive prospects with 31 total pressures last season.

Sports Illustrated, Don Banks (April 5)

No. 24: LB Arthur Brown, Kansas State

Banks’ Analysis: I’m still not sure how the Erik Walden signing in free agency made sense for the Colts financially or otherwise, but Brown would upgrade one of the few remaining spots on the roster where Indy is not better off than it was at the start of the offseason. UCLA defensive end Datone Jones, North Carolina defensive tackle Sylvester Williams and Florida State offensive tackle Menelik Watson are other options that add talent and depth at positions of need.

NFL.com, Bucky Brooks (April 8)

No. 24: DE Damontre Moore, Texas A&M

Brooks’ Analysis: Moore’s immaturity and lack of explosive athleticism could send him tumbling down draft boards. Indianapolis, which has a hard-nosed coach (Chuck Pagano) and a huge void at outside linebacker, could be the perfect landing spot.

Fox Sports, Peter Schrager (April 2)

No. 24: DT Jesse Williams, Alabama

Schrager’s Analysis: The Colts picked up two defensive tackles over the past two weeks, signing Ricky Jean-Francois and Aubrayo Franklin to free-agent deals. I don’t think they’re done addressing the interior of their defensive line. Williams is a versatile Australian-born big man who anchored college football’s most feared defensive unit. At 6-foot-3, 323 pounds, he’d be a nasty addition to a unit that’s already improving.

CBS Sports, Pete Prisco (April 8)

No. 24: WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

Prisco’s Analysis: Reggie Wayne isn’t a kid anymore. They need help. Darius Heyward-Bey is a stopgap.

Los Angeles Times, Sam Farmer (April 8)

No. 24: OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama

Fluker’s Analysis: The Colts locked down their left tackle spot by signing Cherilus in free agency, and Fluker could step in and start at right tackle. There are other needs, of course, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to further beef up protection for that franchise

Sporting News, Erik Galko (April 8)

No. 24: DE/OLB Corey Lemonier, Auburn.

Galko’s Analysis: Though Erik Walden is a nice signing on the edge for the Colts, they still need to add youth to their pass rush. Lemonier could fight for a starting spot in Week 1.

It's all right to disagree on this folks. Disagreement on:

Value of RB's

Colts need of another RB

Effectiveness of RB by talent - Vs - Great blocking

and so on. Let go of feeling like you need to convert the other posters opinion.....or have to get the last word in about it.

For the record, I like our RB's, I think their value has decreased in the last decade, and I believe that there are no elite RB's in this draft, and good value could be found on day two or three.

Glad someone mentioned Alfred Morris. PRIME EXAMPLE OF WHY YOU DO NOT NEED AN "ELITE" RB! All you need is a good oline & any RB will shine. If not, then he shouldn't be playing RB. We don't need all these big name people & Grigson has shown that he doesn't care what your name is. Those of you expecting Lacy in the 1st, not saying it impossible..... but remember.... he's a "big name". We could grab a RB in the 4th or later.

RG3 had more to do with Morris' performance than their O-line did. When Cousins took over for RG3 against Cleveland, Morris had one of his lowest totals of the season rushing. Granted 80 yards is by no means bad but Vick had just as good of a day against them as Alfred did.

RG3 had more to do with Morris' performance than their O-line did. When Cousins took over for RG3 against Cleveland, Morris had one of his lowest totals of the season rushing. Granted 80 yards is by no means bad but Vick had just as good of a day against them as Alfred did.

No, he didn't. Morris was a big reason for Griffin's success, not the other way around. And yes, it was the OL and Shanny's scheme.

No, he didn't. Morris was a big reason for Griffin's success, not the other way around. And yes, it was the OL and Shanny's scheme.

I'd HIGHLY doubt teams were game planning to stop Morris moreso than Griffin. And, yes, the scheme is the penultimate reason they succeeded like they did.

Sorry....   you can agree or disagree with what McShay is putting out there...   I don't care.

But it's hardly news.

It's his opinion, and it's his opinion as of today.   and it will hold for a week or so....

Next Wednesday, when his next Mock Draft comes out (this is his 5th)   he might have completely different scenario's for Colts fans to consider....

Don't get too worked up on this stuff one way or the other....    Really.    Seriously.

No one has sources inside the Indy front office.   This is all pure speculation.

The last time there was speculation from experts, members of the media had Indy buying Kruger from Baltimore for a lot of money and Vazquez from San Diego for a lot of money and lots of other players for a lot of money.

Did we buy any of them?     No.

We bought other players for a lot of money.

Getting yourself too worked up on this stuff is an recipe for disappointment.....

Just sayin......        :hide:        :giveup:

This post is far too reasoned, logical and fair handed for this thread :P

As for the OP and debate as a whole, I'm in the camp of a RB needs to be an exceptional talent to be taken in the 1st. The way this draft is shaping up there is going to be a player on D who drops to us at 24 so I'd be more inclined to go in that direction, or fingers crossed if any of the decent O line drop snap their hands off because even with FA we're not set. 

Now if Lacy was the best player available at 24 I wouldn't question the pick, the thing is I can't imagine a scenario where that will happen and I don't think RB is enough of a need to justify not taking BPA. 

I think we already have a power back.

But I do believe that we need another RB.......... Just not so early

We do need a RB that is very good at catching the ball, and is more of a 3rd down back.

This guy isn't on the roster today.

I target round 4 for that pick