Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One thing to keep in mind re: recent FA acquisitions and the draft....

Mouthfire

Just because we picked up RT, OG, OLBs, CB, WR, etc in free agency, doesn't mean we won't pick up more of the same in the draft.

If you pay attention to how the Colts front office conducted free agency, you'll note that they picked up a lot of middle-tier guys based on potential rather than production (with perhaps the exceptions of Cherilus and Landry). It's also been noted that, for the most part, the contracts are structured to be front-heavy in the first few years. In DHB's case, it was only a one year deal.

Why is this important? Because if the above mentioned players don't work out for us, we can cut them after two years or so without a prohibitive cap hit. What does this mean? To me, it means that these guys really aren't viewed as "sure-fire" long-term solutions to their respective positions. If they work out, we can keep them longer term pretty cheaply. If they don't work out, we can also cut them after a few years, also pretty cheaply.

I mention this because a lot of fans seem to think that because we picked up these players, we set at those positions and can focus on positions like RB. I don't think that's the case. If you start thinking like a GM (and not a fan), you'll see that these signing were more about enabling us to pick the BPA, and not being forced to reach for a position. That's the absolute worst thing you can do in a draft.

I therefore wouldn't be surprised in the early draft if we pick up OG, CB, WR, or a pass rusher. In particular, pass rusher is the spot that hasn't really been addressed in free agency.

Never use a 1st on a RB

Sorry, but I really think this is nonsense. You can't just put a labor on 1st round RBs. There'll always be hidden gems with all positions, including RB, but it doesn't mean there wont be really valuable ones in the 1st round. Regardless of position.

Doug Martin, C.J. Spiller, Darren McFadden, Chris Johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Adrian Peterson were drafted in the first round... They're pretty good.

Sorry, but I really think this is nonsense. You can't just put a labor on 1st round RBs. There'll always be hidden gems with all positions, including RB, but it doesn't mean there wont be really valuable ones in the 1st round. Regardless of position.

Doug Martin, C.J. Spiller, Darren McFadden, Chris Johnson, Jonathan Stewart, Adrian Peterson were drafted in the first round... They're pretty good.

And I wouldn't have taken any of them in the first round

Never use a 1st on a RB

I agree with this. I don't care about AP or whoever people want to throw out as an example. Nobody knew AP was going to be AP either when he was drafted. Chances are RB's aren't going to be anything special and late rd. RB's or even UDFA's can turn out to be good players. So like Tknight said and as I have said hundreds of times...no way would I ever use a 1st rd. pick of a RB.

I agree with this. I don't care about AP or whoever people want to throw out as an example. Nobody knew AP was going to be AP either when he was drafted. Chances are RB's aren't going to be anything special and late rd. RB or even UDFA's can turn out to be good players. So like Tknight said and as I have said hundreds of times...no way would I ever use a 1st rd. pick of a RB.

As with ANY player and position. No one knows how they'll turn out in the NFL. This is not only regarding RBs.

As with ANY player and position. No one knows how they'll turn out in the NFL. This is not only regarding RBs.

Of course, but most teams have learned that RB's are a much bigger risk. RB's have the shortest career time span of any other position on the field. Very few teams will spend 1st rders. on RB's anymore. It used to be a "sexy" position that teams used to build around, but teams do not do that anymore (with a very few exceptions). RB's are not highly valued anymore and teams would rather use a 2 back system, because RB's are literally a dime a dozen.

Never use a 1st on a RB

Some respectful food for thought....   and I've learned this one the hard way....

Try to avoid using absolutes like 'never'....     because 'never' is a very, very long time....

Do I really need to list all the unbelievable RB talent taken in the first round?

This is why the expression "exception to the rule" was invented....

I don't like using a 1st on a RB either....   but there are some players who clearly fall under the category of....

"Exception to the Rule..."

Just sayin.....

And I wouldn't have taken any of them in the first round

Yes you would have.....

You wouldn't have taken Adrian Peterson in the first round?!?      Seriously?

You think there are 32 better players to take that AP in a first round?      Any first round?

I don't like using a #1 on a RB either....   but I allow for the Exception to the Rule....

Yes you would have.....

You think there are 32 better players to take that AP in a first round?      Any first round?

I don't like using a #1 on a RB either....   but I allow for the Exception to the Rule....

There wouldn't be an exception to the rule IMO. RB's are over rated...Period! Nobody knew Adrian Peterson was going to turn out to be who he is now before he was drafted. Yes, he had the talent, but so does tons of other players who fall flat on their face in the pro's. I'm playing the percentages everytime and percentages tell you that RB's are extremely injury prone and not worth 1st rd. picks in general. Thats why less and less RB'd get taken early in the draft every yr. now. Teams do not value the RB position the way they used to, because history tells you they aren't worth the risk.

You can't say never draft an RB in the first. Everyone knows there is value in the later rounds when it comes to RBs. The thing is though you have to get lucky with the fit. Alfred Morris may have been a dud in JAX or Bernard Pierce in CIN. Ide be inclined to wait but if a Steven Jackson fell to my team at the end of round 1 I wouldn't hesitate. Now, picking an RB in the top 10, that better be a special freaking back.

Sure, but where are all those teams right now?  Buffalo, Oakland, Tennessee, Carolina, Minnesota, Tampa Bay.... Out of the bunch, Minnesota's probably the best, and they're a middling team at best.

Bottom line:  You don't win nowadays by spending 1st round picks on running backs.  You spend your high draft picks on passing and pass-rushing.  That's just the way it is nowadays.

There wouldn't be an exception to the rule IMO. RB's are over rated...Period! Nobody knew Adrian Peterson was going to turn out to be who he is now before he was drafted. Yes, he had the talent, but so does tons of other players who fall flat on their face in the pro's. I'm playing the percentages everytime and percentages tell you that RB's are extremely injury prone and not worth 1st rd. picks in general. Thats why less and less RB'd get taken early in the draft every yr. now. Teams do not value the RB position the way they used to, because history tells you they aren't worth the risk.

I definitely knew AP had it. As a frosh at Oklahoma it was clear he could have started in the NFL as an 18 year old. When he was drafted I was a step ahead n got him in like 4 fantasy leagues really late. Ended winning a couple really because of him.

Sure, but where are all those teams right now? Buffalo, Oakland, Tennessee, Carolina, Minnesota, Tampa Bay.... Out of the bunch, Minnesota's probably the best, and they're a middling team at best.

Bottom line: You don't win nowadays by spending 1st round picks on running backs. You spend your high draft picks on passing and pass-rushing. That's just the way it is nowadays.

Those teams aren't bad because they spent a 1st on a RB. They are bad because they blew the multitude of their other picks.

Yes you would have.....

Well, looking back at that draft I would have. Overall I just don't value running backs much, including AP.

I agree with this. I don't care about AP or whoever people want to throw out as an example. Nobody knew AP was going to be AP either when he was drafted. Chances are RB's aren't going to be anything special and late rd. RB's or even UDFA's can turn out to be good players. So like Tknight said and as I have said hundreds of times...no way would I ever use a 1st rd. pick of a RB.

Have to agree with both of you never and i say never draft a RB in first..........those are periods........get it period .................... never...................period.................

You really think the list can stop with Adrian Peterson?

Goodness...

Jim Brown,  OJ Simpson,  Barry Sanders,   Emmitt Smith,   Walter Payton....    how many more names do you want?

Having hard and fast rules with no exceptions is, in my humble opinion,  a very bad and even dangerous way to go through life and try to conduct business.

It may appear safe....    but I don't think it is.    You're putting blinders on to possibilities....

Remember,  I'm in basic agreement with you.    I don't like spending a #1 on a RB.    But I certainly allow for exceptions to the rule....

The never draft a rb with first round pick is up there on the fans being clueless list. Sorry, that is my personal opinion on that. Lol, I get a good laugh on this board that's for sure.

Glad to amuse you oh wise one. If you think that view on running backs is limited to this board, you are wrong. Many in nfl circles have expressed it. While never is a strong word...I'm not looking at a running back unless the team is drafting low and the roster is plentiful.

I say they need to get the Alabama duo of DJ Fluker and Barrett Jones. It looks like Fluker could fall down to 24 but if not we can give up a late round pick to get him and I thnk Jones will be there for us in the 3rd and if not we can trade another late round pick to get him. I really like the look of our lineup right now but if we can have Fluker and Jones in at RG and C we should have an outstanding OL in a few years. Only other weaknesses I see are NT, no one has proven themselves yet, and that OLB spot that will be left up to Hughes and Walden. I do have faith in Hughes and I think he will start to flourish in a system that he was used to at TCU. What would you guys think of giving up two late round picks if it meant we could move up and grab Fluker and Jones?

I say they need to get the Alabama duo of DJ Fluker and Barrett Jones. It looks like Fluker could fall down to 24 but if not we can give up a late round pick to get him and I thnk Jones will be there for us in the 3rd and if not we can trade another late round pick to get him. I really like the look of our lineup right now but if we can have Fluker and Jones in at RG and C we should have an outstanding OL in a few years. Only other weaknesses I see are NT, no one has proven themselves yet, and that OLB spot that will be left up to Hughes and Walden. I do have faith in Hughes and I think he will start to flourish in a system that he was used to at TCU. What would you guys think of giving up two late round picks if it meant we could move up and grab Fluker and Jones?

I wouldn't. I don't Fluker would even be the BPA at 24 and Jones is mediocre at best IMO. The only thing he really has going for him is the fact that he's versatile, he's basically average at every position. I'd love if we grabbed Jones in the 3rd, but he's not worth trading up for IMO.

Glad to amuse you oh wise one. If you think that view on running backs is limited to this board, you are wrong. Many in nfl circles have expressed it. While never is a strong word...I'm not looking at a running back unless the team is drafting low and the roster is plentiful.

I'm not looking to draft a rb either. But the nobody should never ever draft a rb in the first is just crazy talk. And I'm glad to be amused...