Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Going Out On A Limb....

Luck_Is_Skilled

A 4th is still too high IMO. Plenty of good talent left in the 4th rd. and talent that hasn't had both knee's blown out and one of them completely shredded. I doubt that knee will ever have the proper stability in it again. 

I just looked at last years 4th round picks. I'll stick to my opinion that it's a crapshoot.

You may pick up a starter, you're looking for either that rough diamond or depth. We're already pretty well set in those two categories.

Someone will pull the trigger on him. IMHO a mid 4 or lower is a safe pick. Anything higher and your roster is pretty well set, so you're rolling the dice. Why not?

Lattimore is said to have been very impressive at his pro day and I've no doubt he could contribute immediately. See Willis McGahee for reference.

McGahee is the comparison, because McGahee was the one who was in a similar situation and became successful. McGahee did sit out his rookie year, just as I proposed a team would likely do with Lattimore.

Unfortunately there are many more players who never made it back. He is a risk, and I am not going to count the guy out, because he very well could have a successful career in the NFL. His health is a huge question mark that I believe will drop his draft status. I am sure either way he will get a shot somewhere. I am not sure a team will draft him as high as McGahee was drafted though. That said; anything can happen. All it takes is for one team to fall in love with him.

I just looked at last years 4th round picks. I'll stick to my opinion that it's a crapshoot.

You may pick up a starter, you're looking for either that rough diamond or depth. We're already pretty well set in those two categories.

Someone will pull the trigger on him. IMHO a mid 4 or lower is a safe pick. Anything higher and your roster is pretty well set, so you're rolling the dice. Why not?

You could look at some first rounds and come to the conclusion that the 1st round is a crap shoot. Personally, I wouldn't even have Lattimore on the board.

haha  :lol:  :funny: . You have to be kidding...right!!! Lattimore will be lucky to be drafted at all, let alone a 1st rder.. 

its amazing how your avatar is so fitting right now.

Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but taking a 1st round pick on a guy who had a gruesome knee injury and has been injured two times i believe. a first round pick? a resounding no...  if he is there with the  mr. irrelevant pick, then take him.  Definately not with 24 in 2013 draft

You could look at some first rounds and come to the conclusion that the 1st round is a crap shoot. Personally, I wouldn't even have Lattimore on the board.

It's truly a moot point. I'm sure there's a stat somewhere for the percentage of drafted player that make a team, by pick number. In other words, you'd expect the first pick in the draft to make (and start on) a team 100%, the 32nd pick maybe 90%, 64th, 60%, etc.

I'm just guessing at percentages, but I'm sure you get my point. So by time you get to pick 120, the percentages have to be very low. I'm not talking about a backup, but a starter. TY was really an odds beater.

Anyway, my thinking is that a mid 4 is a great gamble on a guy that may be special. But no great loss if he never plays.

All those limb comments - I can't believe that no-one yet has said.............

That limb is only as stable as his knee, and by all accounts it's way too much of a gamble to warrant a first round pick. And that's not even considering that:

Running back's rarely warrant first round picks now-a-days

Running back isn't a position of need for the Colts

A first rounder needs to be a key starter for the next several years or you have failed as a GM. You don't take wild risks with it. 

The Colts are short on draft picks and are rebuilding. They aren't in a position to gamble with ANY picks through at least the 5th round.

You know who can take a middle round gamble on him without hurting themselves? The 49ers. They have so many picks that many aren't going to make the roster anyway. Sticking a guy like that on IR would be preferable to drafting someone else and then releasing him anyway. In contrast EVERY single Colt drafted needs to become a contributing member of the roster.

All those limb comments - I can't believe that no-one yet has said.............

That limb is only as stable as his knee, and by all accounts it's way too much of a gamble to warrant a first round pick. And that's not even considering that:

Running back's rarely warrant first round picks now-a-days

Running back isn't a position of need for the Colts

A first rounder needs to be a key starter for the next several years or you have failed as a GM. You don't take wild risks with it. 

The Colts are short on draft picks and are rebuilding. They aren't in a position to gamble with ANY picks through at least the 5th round.

You know who can take a middle round gamble on him without hurting themselves? The 49ers. They have so many picks that many aren't going to make the roster anyway. Sticking a guy like that on IR would be preferable to drafting someone else and then releasing him anyway. In contrast EVERY single Colt drafted needs to become a contributing member of the roster.

Finally, a voice of reason.

if your dreaming of powerful back---sleeper could be arkansas' ronnie wingo-----6-1---238--- clocked at 4.47---dont know why this kid isnt rated higher

You got me curious enough to search. First question is why his carries dropped so much from his junior to his senior year. He clearly wasn't considered the best option on his own team. Then there's this: http://bloghawgs.com/tag/ronnie-wingo-jr/

Interesting idea, but it sounds like they didn't consider him seriously as a RB in college. It's hard to imagine that he will make the jump in the pros.

Oh, and he's 6'3", so maybe he runs a little "skinnier" than a small back of that weight.  How did you even become aware of him considering how little he contributed?

Lattimore is said to have been very impressive at his pro day and I've no doubt he could contribute immediately. See Willis McGahee for reference.

Why see Willis McGahee for reference? McGahee sat out his entire rookie year after the Bills drafted him.

Please...we can't do that.

By all accounts Lattimore is a great kid....but we simply can't spend any of our 6 picks on him, IMO.

There are many scouts who didn't have Lattimore as a 1st round draft pick BEFORE his latest injury........

MAC is correct...  he's perfect for a team with many, many extra draft picks.   A team that can use him if he's healthy, or stash him away if he's not.    San Francisco would be the perfect team for him.

But the Colts?!?    For the Love of All Things Good and Decent and Holy!!!

No.    Just, no.      Perhaps with our 6th round pick.    Otherwise,  no.      :facepalm:

what about maybe Eddie Lacy for a late 1st rounder or trade for early 2nd or third round i believe RB like Lacy would be key to new offensive scheme and build and Lacy fits that build

Nah, RBs are a dime a dozen and a low value position. Ballard should be fine behind an improved O-line.

You asked for everything you are getting in this thread.

Hey, ill admit, I may have been a little more enamored with the potential of adding this kid with a clean bill of health but I am fully aware of our actual needs and truthfully RB isnt a pressing need.

I'm amused by all the different ways people can come up with to tell me I'm a complete psycho for making this thread but nonetheless, you all responded and made me feel even more a part of the family of this forum.

Certainly if you browse through any other post I've made on this entire forum, you'll know I'm not just some random guy spouting a bunch of crap, but someone who likes to spark up a good conversation.

This may or may not be the last time I come out of left field but it is the first. Now I know what the wrath of the forum tastes like and honestly its kind of funny.

I asked for thoughts, you all gave em to me. Thanks, Go Colts! lmao

what about maybe Eddie Lacy for a late 1st rounder or trade for early 2nd or third round i believe RB like Lacy would be key to new offensive scheme and build and Lacy fits that build

I believe Lacy could be the pick at #24. He may not be, but even against the wishes of most members on this message board; he likely is on our board in the first round.

Hey, ill admit, I may have been a little more enamored with the potential of adding this kid with a clean bill of health but I am fully aware of our actual needs and truthfully RB isnt a pressing need.

I'm amused by all the different ways people can come up with to tell me I'm a complete psycho for making this thread but nonetheless, you all responded and made me feel even more a part of the family of this forum.

Certainly if you browse through any other post I've made on this entire forum, you'll know I'm not just some random guy spouting a bunch of crap, but someone who likes to spark up a good conversation.

This may or may not be the last time I come out of left field but it is the first. Now I know what the wrath of the forum tastes like and honestly its kind of funny.

sounds like u r the Skip Bayless of the Colts Forum ;)

My post should have had a "LOL" in front of it. I was in the car and just responding quickly. The minute I read your initial post, I smiled and laughed and thought "oooohhhh nnnnnooooo, OP has no clue what he just started" This thought was before I even read any of the responses. 

Discussion is what the forum is for; and this topic no doubt started a discussion! I lurked for a few years before I began posting. There is some nonsense on here, but there are also a lot of good contributors. 

That being said.....if Grigson take Lattimore in the first then he should be fired immediately  :woah:

IM A BIG NCAA FOOTBALL GUY BUT YOUR RIGHT HIS CARRIES DID GO DOWN---BUT HOGS HAD A LOT OF OPTIONS AND THREW THE BALL A LOT----BUT IF A GUY IS THAT BIG WITH THAT KIND OF SPEED,I THINK ITS WORTH A SHOT.

You got me curious enough to search. First question is why his carries dropped so much from his junior to his senior year. He clearly wasn't considered the best option on his own team. Then there's this: http://bloghawgs.com/tag/ronnie-wingo-jr/

Interesting idea, but it sounds like they didn't consider him seriously as a RB in college. It's hard to imagine that he will make the jump in the pros.

Oh, and he's 6'3", so maybe he runs a little "skinnier" than a small back of that weight.  How did you even become aware of him considering how little he contributed?

Not only would I not mind Lacy, I would love to have Lacy. He is so good at breaking tackles and making people mess, and he would fit in perfectly with the West Coast offense that we are going to be running. He, paired with Ballard, would be a terrific tandem out of the backfield.